Fire at View Point Inn Officially Ruled as Accidental

The View Point Inn, where the prom scene from Twilight was filmed, suffered a devastating fire yesterday. ( See previous coverage )It was the second fire to befall the landmark, the first in 2008. The owners had filed for bankruptcy earlier in the month and they expressed concern in news reports that  people might think the fire was deliberate. Investigators have now ruled it a tragic accident:

“A two-alarm fire Sunday afternoon that heavily damaged the historic View Point Inn started with sparks from the fireplace igniting the cedar shakes on the roof, according to Tom Layton of Multnomah County Fire District 14.

Crews called in a second alarm to battle a fire at the View Point Inn, in Corbett, Sunday afternoon.

The fire broke out at the popular hotel and restaurant, at 40301 E. Larch Mountain Road, around 12:15 p.m., according to dispatchers.

Witnesses told KGW a couple eating at the restaurant spotted the fire and alerted the owner. When initial attempts to extinguish it failed, crews were called in.”

See more at NWCN