Would You Want a Twilight TV Show

For her column on Movies.com next week, Laura is going to explore the idea of the Twilight TV show. There’s been lots of reporting on this issue here and around the Internet. In all the frenzy, it seems like one very important aspect has been missed which is fan opinion!

Would the fans want a TV show? If they do want a TV show, what should be the focus? Most sites aren’t asking any in depth questions. So now is your chance to be heard.

So, please vote in the polls below and chime in in the comments to let Laura know if she missed any important aspect on this issue and to explain why you voted the way you did. You may just find yourself quoted in the Movies.com article!

Comments

1. I say NO! I would want the actors that play the characters in the movies to play them in the tv show. And we know that isn’t really feasible w/the actors getting older. Rob is playing a 17 yr old and he looks older than that (which in real life he is.)

I don’t want Lionsgate making a terrible decision like this just to milk more $$ out of us Twilight fans. Stephenie only wrote 4 books and that is where the story should stay. Now if she were to write more in the future than maybe. But I would much rather her finish the other book from Edward’s POV first.

I really don’t like this idea. I really hope SM says No.

2. Im undecided. First, Twilight became big b/c Stephenie Meyer’s books and how she wrote them. The movies became a hit b/c it stayed true to the book (besides some parts missing & putting everythg in the book to movie would be long…i’d personally would sit through any lengths.of time b/c I love Twilight) so if anyone besides her writes the scripts etc…i probably watch it to get mad…i love SMs vampires…if someone else writes it,.it just ruin it for me. Second, I cant envision anyone else playing any of the characters….i was pissed that they changed Victoria…and I didnt like her…i think it should stop while theyre still ahead..idk…

3. I love Twilight. I also love the cast. The movies, the books… all of it.

I also love The Vampire Diaries, the books and the spin-off tv series. Same characters, different story.

Let Twilight books and movies live in their own right, and a spin-off tv series live in its own right too. I don’t see why they can’t co-exist, just like The Vampire Diaires have managed to pull off.

4. I would only want a Twilight TV show if they could have the same cast as the movies. Otherwise, I think the show would not make it past the pilot.

5. Lynne Stringer says:

I can’t even imagine watching someone else play Edward. I wouldn’t want to be the actor who tried! I wouldn’t watch it. TV shows that start up after movies don’t have a good track record. There are exceptions, of course, but if they’re just doing it to milk the Twilight cash cow, I can’t imagine that the production values will be too high.

6. Aileen Leon says:

Noooo !! I just don’t think it’ll be the same !! :)

7. Aileen Leon says:

8. NO!!! Emphatically no! It will so take away from our beloved series. No Bella, Edward, Jake or anyone would be good enough and constantly compared to the films. Please no!

9. I would TOTALLY watch a TV show for Twilight. It would be great if it followed the books… BUT dig deeper into the the past lives of all the characters, prior to the books, as well as continue into the future after the books end. They could really market this!

10. Lionsgate-Summit should take advantage of the Exquisite graphics used on the Twilight websites/DVD Menus to continue the Saga (film/tv/dvd/internet) in an Animated format Featuring the Voices of the ORIGINAL CAST. This would solve MANY issues – career schedules/Vampires and Wolves Aging/physical-CGI limitations to storyline, changes of venue (World Travel), etc. Quality and Continuity would be Preserved and Respected. Honestly, the Cast brought the stories to Life and I have the Imagery Emblazoned in my Memory – Accept No Substitutes. Using the graphics in animation allows the Saga to Continue Uniting New and Enduring Fans. I would like to remain Cullen-centric with exploration of the Cullen-Volturi storyline. I would like to see “flashbacks” for origination and further character development. I would like to see the Cullen Clan as they move through time and Bella learns what it can REALLY mean to be Immortal w/Time on Your Side in the Exploration of the World. Hope it Helps! BK Silva

11. I absolutely love the Twilight Saga. Please please please dont ruin it by making a tv show. Its not about pleasing the fans, its about making more money. They already said that is why they wanted it. It will not have the same actors and it wont have the same writers. It is a love story that ended just the way Stephanie wanted it to end. I would love for Stephanie to continute writing but she said she isnt so thats the end of it. I would love to read Midnight Sun if she finishes it, but if there is a tv show, i really think she will find there is no reason to write even that anymore. I have no problem reading my books over and over. I watch the movies over and over. It would break my heart if they cast new actors and took this saga in a new direction.Even if they did make a tv series, it wont last forever. Maybe 5 years at the most? and at the end it will be because its past its prime. If they want to make money, sell merchandise. Its only about the money so if anything, please dont ask for a tv show. They dont care about making us happy, its about making someone rich and thats not what this story is about. Anyone who truly loves the Twilight saga really doesnt want this amazing story ruined like this.

12. Rylie Rae Sororitylife says:

i think the only way it would be a hit would be with the same actors and with Stephanie Meyer writing it… I want to know the story of Jacob and Nessie and how Bella and Edward handle it….

13. I wouldn’t mind a mini-movie or a little animated series. I would love to see something about Alice before she became a vampire.

14. NO TV SHOW!!!!

15. Would I watch the TV show religiously? Yeah, probably, because I’m a sucker for all things remotely Twilight-related. Would the quality of the show be good and fulfilling for me? No, most likely not.

16. Just the idea makes me cringe. There’s no way the original actors would all sign up for TV. Shows based on movies are just a way to try to keep bringing in the cash. I would love to see more of the Cullen’s, but not like this.

17. Just the idea makes me queasy There’s no way the original actors would all sign up for TV. Shows based on movies are just a way to try to keep bringing in the cash. I would love to see more of the Cullen’s, but not like this.

18. I really hope they don’t make this. There’s no way the original actors would all sign up for TV. Shows based on movies are just a way to try to keep bringing in the cash. I would love to see more of the Cullen’s, but not like this.

19. I really hope they don’t make this. There’s no way the original actors would all sign up for TV. Shows based on movies are just a way to try to keep bringing in the cash. I would love to see more of the story but not like this.

20. Shows based on movies are just a way to try to keep bringing in the cash. I would love to see more of the story but not like this. it wouldn’t be the same without the original actors.

21. Please please NO!

22. Ashley Marie Wilson McManaman says:

I heard that the actors won’t be the same on the tv show. What a crime!!!!! There is no one else…. Those actors are the characters. It just wouldn’t be right!

23. I love the Twilight Saga, but I agree with all of the wonderful explanations that everyone has given about voting NO to creating a Twilight TV show.

I would like to make a few other observations. A Twilight tv show has only two options: (1) follow the mythology Stephenie created in the books or (2) spin off tangent story ideas based on the characters. I don’t see how a tv show could ever practically work under option 1. As others have mentioned, the story has already been told visually in the movies, and the actors would eventually age out of their roles. HELLO, the “creatures” (i.e. vampires, wolves, hybrids – after a certain maturity) in Twilight don’t age! Under option 2, if someone were to create a show about backstories on some / all of the vamps (which keep in mind we all know already to some degree from the books and the illustrated guide) or on future stories of some / all of the characters – when all is said and done, would the result really even be a “Twilight” show? Or would it be a completely different animal? A tv show where we would be familiar with the characters names? If they didn’t follow the mythology, would it even be “Twilight” at all?

When all is said and done, The Twilight Saga is a love story. It is Bella and Edward’s love story. Nay sayers, you know you go back and re-read the “good parts” as much as I do! Leave them out, and you have lost the real essence of Twilight. So again, would stories of any other characters really be “Twilight” or would they be more “Twilight based”?

To some of the yes voters above – please be realistic. I honestly believe with all my heart that there is NO WAY that any of the original cast members from the movies would ever be included in a tv show project. I know there has been a big migration of former Hollywood A-listers from the silver screen to the tv screen, but the key word there is former. Don’t we all truly want to believe that the Twilight Saga is as special to them as it is to us and that they wouldn’t want to tarnish their memories or degrade the saga that has propelled their careers?

For everything there is a season under heaven . . . It’s kind of like Christmas day or Halloween candy, it should be enjoyed and savored while it lasts. But as with all good things, it must come to an end. And truly, that’s okay. You can hold it in your heart, looking back on it with fond memories and looking forward to visiting it again later (reading the books or watching the movies again).

Now if Stephenie wants to take us back into the Twilight world with a new book . . . that’s a different matter. I would much rather she have time to complete Midnight Sun than even consider working with a tv show. Stephenie – I am praying for you to be inspired to continue past MS and rewrite the whole saga from Edward’s perspective. Is that something we could vote on? Sorry – Lol!

24. Lynne Stringer says:

My opinion is also no. SM has said that she has had enough of vampires for the moment, so I don’t think she’d be involved, and I wouldn’t consider it canon without her involvement (not to mention that they probably wouldn’t be allowed to do it without her involvement).

Also, the current cast would not want to continue with these roles (certainly as far as Rob, Kristen and Taylor are concerned) so would need to be recast. Getting them right the second time around would be harder than getting them right the first! Can you imagine what it would be like for any actor stepping into Rob’s shoes?

Not to mention that it’s clear that Summit/Lionsgate are considering it only to keep cashing in, rather than because they have any creative ideas for its continuation. And unlike something like Buffy, which only had one movie preceding the TV show, there are plenty of things that are canon with many of the characters, and even slight deviations from that would upset fans.

In my opinion Summit should be glad of the money it’s made them and let The Twilight Saga go out on a high, rather than dragging its name through the mud with a cheap, hastily made series.

25. thephantomcat says:

I would watch. Books are responsible for allot of the tv my family watches. Bones, Pretty Little Liars, Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Dexter, Game of Thrones, and Pillars of the Earth was an excellent mini series as well. These are allot of popular series. Twilight could easily be the next big thing in tv. And no Stephanie doesn’t have to write all the scripts. She didn’t even write the scripts for the movies. Do any of you understand how movies and tv work?

• Im not sure you understand how tv works. The scripts were based on Stephanies books. She was involved. Why would you want to cheapenTwilight with tv? as you just said, there are a dozen of those things out there.

• thephantomcat says:

I’m referring to the simpltons who want Stephanie to write all the scripts and R and K to reprise their roles in a tv series. I didn’t say anything about Stephanie not being involved. Or don’t you know how to read? How does an abundance of well received programing equal cheap? Many of these series have received Emmy and Golden Globe noms and wins. Scripted dramas are still capable of engaging storytelling.

• If that’s the way you feel about it, why even make Twilight a tv show at all? Why not just make another vamp show that’s completely unrelated?

If you just want more stories based on the Twilight characters but not necessarily with Stephenie’s creative input, why not just read fanfiction and watch some of the plethora of fan videos and parodies posted online?

• thephantomcat says:

Another person who can’t read. When did I say I don’t want Stephanie’s input? I said its unrealistic for her to write all the scripts. No showrunner writes all the scripts themselves. And many of the series I mentioned have the input of the authors. Kathy Reich and George R.R. Martin are both producers on their shows. One strays heavily from the source material and the other follows it closely and both are hugely successful. Fan fiction is written by untalented idiots who have too much time on their hands.

26. pues a mi la verdad es que no. porque entonces habría que hacerla mucho mas larga y empezarían a inventarse cosas y a explotarla demasiado y acabaríamos enfandandonos con los cambios. y encima no serían los mismos actores y resultaría ya muy raro. ya se han echo muchas veces y al final lo destrozan todo en television por querer sacar mas dinero. creo que es demasiado buena como para eso. y ademas si es un lirbo, esa es la magia, que tengamos nuestra propia vision y si stephenie no ha echo mas que es la que saber la historia, yo paso.

27. http://www.twilightlexicon.com/2012/01/20/would-you-want-a-twilight-tv-show/comment-page-2/#comments

The movie was based on Stephanies book and she was involved. Do you understand how a network and a tv show works? I think not.

• thephantomcat says:

I reiterate. It’s ridiculous to expect her to write all the scripts. When did I say she wasn’t involved in the movies? Try not to put words in people’s mouths. It just reveals how poorly you can defend your point of view

28. NO! I don’t see it. Yes I’m obsessed with Twilight, BUT,enough is enough. I don’t want them to ruin whats already out there, the movies, books, fabulous fan sites…. The movies and books set a standard and I feel that there is some greed involved and they just want to cash in on the Twilight name. I know Buffy was a movie and made into a TV series but there was a story to tell, Twilight is done, close the book. As sad as that makes me I know all good things come to an end.

29. Yes. If – the original casts are the ones who will play the characters. It will be hard for me to imagine another person to the original cast.

30. KellyRPattzLover xx says:

I would love a Twilight TV program! But, only if it was the actual Twilight cast. I know that the original Twilight cast will have other films etc. to work on so, i’m not sure if it would be possible. I would love it if the TV program would be in the future – past Breaking Dawn Part 2. What I mean is, when Breaking Dawn Part 2 comes out, you could make the TV show after that so that you could carry on from exactly the point were they finished off.

31. Mary Beth says:

The books are incredibly rich with so much plot and potential for endless story lines! A television version of the Twilight world would be awesome! There have been other great stories and characters of literature that have been borrowed for television, why not Twilight? Besides, even though Stepanie Meyer wrote an amazing story, there is still so much subplot potential that could be developed. Imagine the places the writers could go? Besides the obvious (Bella, Edward, Jake), I’d like to see more of the Volturie (Aro, Marcus, Demetri, Felix, etc.) and their world, also the other vampire clans such as the Denalis. What about the Wolf Pack and Jessica and the humans in the town of Forks and so on and so forth! There is so much material it would be hard to choose what to focus on. Do you start the series with back stories of the Cullens, the Volturie, Bella’s life before coming to Forks, Edward’s perspective? Or do you begin the series where the books left off? Personally, I would love to see where they take it. As long as they do a good job and don’t turn it into a “chessey” rendition of the movie. With good writers and a top notch production team (the show The Tudors comes to mind), a Twilight television version would be so much fun!

32. Shelly Mckenzie says:

As much as I would love for the Twilight Saga to go on and on I just couldn’t watch a TV show with a different cast. There is no way that any of the cast could continue with their roles as they are all aging and the Vamps don’t age and while they’re around neither will the wolves lol. Twilight I will love you always!

33. A GREAT BIG NO!! It would be a horrible idea. The movies are the story and to just add or make
    up a bunch of stuff about our characters would be so sad. I can’t imagine anyone else playing the
    roles of Edward and Bella. It would be a cheap imitation of a beloved story. So, no, never, ever.

34. no!!! look what tv did to the vampire diaries. stefan is trying to kill elena and she is snogging his brother! i shudder to think what they would do to edward and bella, NO WAY, NO HOW!

35. There’s a difference between “do I WANT a Twilight tv show?” and “would I WATCH it?”

I don’t WANT a Twilight tv show, because I think that would be pulling it out too much and end up spoiling the Twilight world (too much of a good thing and all that :P ).
    But if they DID end up making a Twilight tv show (and if it made it across the pond), I probably *would* end up watching it, simply because (and I’m 100& sure Lionsgate/Summit would be counting on this) knowing it existed, I wouldn’t be able to stay away!

36. i I love twilight and I like to see it on TV!

37. Please no. I love Twilight, I really do. But a TV show is a little too far. I mean, what are they going to do? If they continue with Edward and Bella’s story it would be with different actors instead of Rob and Kristen. I don’t see Rob or Kristen as TV stars. Plus, Stephenie already ended the story for Bella and Edward. If they do continue on someone else is going to write the story.
    It would be more interesting to have the Cullen’s past before Bella though. They could have a mini series of the Cullen’s back stories. And hopefully they would follow the plot from the Twilight guide. That could be more interesting. But there is still the chance that the orginal actors won’t be in the show. And I don’t know about anyone else but I wouldn’t want someone else playing the characters other than the orginal cast.