David Slade Addresses The Eclipse Concerns

Yesterday we received a call from Summit giving us the heads up that David Slade would be personally emailing us to address the yesterday’s biggest news story, his comments on the Twilight movie that he made during a radio call-in program back in November.

It’s a good thing they called  because we’re fairly certain that we wouldn’t have believed someone emailing in claiming to be David Slade. In fact his email went to our spam box where we just found it. It was sent last night circa 10:00pm.

According to our contact, David is a really decent and down-to-earth guy who was genuinely concerned about what happened, and wanted to address it personally, not just rely on a studio press release.

In any case, here is David, unedited and  in his own words:

“Dear Laura and Lori

I would be grateful if you could distribute this statement to the fans of Twilight:I would like to address some statements that I made regarding Twilight.

When I made these comments, I had neither seen the film nor read the books. I was promoting a comedy short film that I had made for Xbox and every pop culture subject was seen as a possible comedy target. I was being silly and none of the statements were from the heart.

Of course, I have since seen the movie and read the books and was quickly consumed with the rich storytelling and the beautifully honest characters that Stephenie Meyer created.

I would like to reassure everyone involved that I am invested in making the best film that I am humanly capable of, and that I am acutely aware of the power of the original books we serve.

Please be rest assured this statement is absolutely from the heart.

yours sincerely

1. Morgan says:

huh… idknow what to say..
    i think he should have seen the movie and read the books before saying bad things.
    im not saying that the movie didn’t slightly suck.
    im just saying that mabe we can give him a second chance. a chance to prove that he likes twilight.
    and if he messis up the movie. well just kick his but and dimand them to remake it.
    hey were the fans. we have the power.

2. shavei7 says:

I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now BUT

** He better do it right…the story, romance, fx effects, etc
    ** He better not eff this up

If Eclipse flops (didn’t make enough money) because us fans were dissatisfied, he’ll go down and be known as the douche director who ruined the Twilight franchise. Not only that, if Eclipse is not successful, byebye Breaking Dawn movie.

3. La Bruja says:

Blah, Blah, Blah. Not Forgiven.
    I think he is Full of it and just doesnt want to be harrased by the fans or be fired.
    Still want Juan Antonio Bayona for Eclipse.

4. Ilu_una says:

I’m getting kind of tired of all this “they don’t know the power of the fandom!” business.

Power corrupts. And absolute power corrupts absolutely.

To add to that, perceived power corrupts as well. I am against the fandom getting its way like a spoiled child who stamps its foot. If things happen, I hope its for the best reasons, not because the fandom is being catered to.

This isn’t about the fandom, its about the books.

5. I’ll wont forgive him until I see the movie. (And he does a great job)

6. Isabellacullen says:

Glad you found the email in the junk folder!

I’m glad that he stepped up & addressed the issue, rather than just hanging out & not acknowledging the comments & how it hurt how we view him. If nothing else, this will hopefully open his eyes to how voracious the Twilight fan base can be & how desperately we want the books to be brought to the screen in the best way possible.

7. I call B.S.

Look for someone else who wants the job and has been a fan since the beginning, not just jumping on the band wagon because it is an awesome franchise.

Really I guess I am protective of the characters I love…..

8. Kate K says:

The apology appears sincere – but who can really tell? Of course he’s going to have to apoligize for saying those things now- he’s part of the movie, it could get him in trouble, and serious hate from the fans. It seems insincere that he only makes reference to the comments after they became a big news story.

I guess we’ll see if he’s sincere by whether or not he really does put his heart into the movie, like Catherine did.

9. Sounds good to me! Forgiven!

10. I for one am glad that he decided to address this & let us know what was going on & explain the comments. I can see how he could have been wondering about the big deal everyone was making (especially since he hadn’t read the books or seen the movie yet.) I can forgive & forget. He just needs to do an awesome job on Eclipse & make it an awesome movie (ESPECIALLY THE PROPOSAL/Chapter 20 The Compromise.) I hope he’s sincere and really has read the books & love them like us diehard fans do. And Eclipse had better become his “bible” for the next year or so!

• I also wanted to say but forgot. I think it would be a good idea to send an email out to all the fans like CW did when it was announced he was directing NM. I think that might make the fans feel better about it. 🙂

11. I don’t think Summit would have chosen him and he wouldn’t have come on board if he didn’t want to make a good movie. He said it in November and the press just loves to dig up things from the past to make someone look bad. Hey, half the cast hadn’t heard about the books until they auditioned for the movie. Now they’re all hooked and committed to do it for the fans. Let’s face it, we’re pretty crazy and none of them would want to incur our wrath. So, I will emulate Edward and forgive his faux pas as Edward forgave Jacob for so many of his punk moves and welcomed him into the family.

12. Has Stephenie commented on this situation?

13. Anybody who has never read the Twilight books could be skeptical about a romantic teen vampire story. Even i was skeptical (being a mother in my mid 30’s) But i gave the first book the benefit of the doubt this past November and was immediately hooked, or “obsessed” as my husband would like to call it. I have no doubt in my mind that if indeed Mr. Slade has now read the books, that he can now fully understand the power of them and the power of the fans not to mention he himself having a secret addiction of his own for the series. How could he not??

14. The HTIC says:

I think he is just trying to clear the air to avoid bad publicity. He said it. It is what it is. That just goes to show that as soon as Twilight got big, everybody tried to get on the project, even people who dont care.

15. ScarletRubie says:

the question is who doesn’t judge a book my it’s cover, i admit it i do it all the time. I guess that’s what he was doing, i’m over it, as long as he does a good job i’ll live. Not everyone is going to like the franchise and that’s okay, i’m glad he cleared things up with us.

16. Glad he apologized, just hope he doesn’t screw up Eclipse.

17. Devon061381 says:

I appreciate the fact that he emailed the Lex about this, but you never know if it was his own desire to write or the bigwigs at Summit said “you need to email asap to calm this down.”

I’m ambivalent until I see some proof in the pudding. I’m going to hold tight until Eclipse starts filming and we get to see some sneak peeks and what not, and/or hear from Stephenie on this, because I trust her opinion, seeing as they are HER novels.

I disagree with comments above regarding the fandom being spoiled and controlling the movie, etc. – I think that’s oversimplifying a bit. The fandom is a force to be reckoned with because a) we stand BEHIND the books and want them to be represented properly on screen, and b) WE are the target audience and our money makes this successful or a flop, so it’s only common sense to listen to us. It’s a give and take situation – they can take our money if they give us what we want. They are going to rake it in as long as we are satisfied with the outcome. There would be no profits if no one came to see the movies. There HAS to be some element of catering here to woo our wallets and our time. It’s 21st century economics 🙂

18. Someone who would mock something they(supposedly)know nothing about on the radio for kicks is not a leader who could direct a movie, much less an international franchise.

19. VampireLover says:

Doesnt matter if he likes it or not. As long as the movies good im not bothered

20. Amanda says:

Some of you are being patronizing. Ofcourse he was joking, everybody understood that. However, can you understand how people may feel a little concerned or uneasy that he said that? If it wasn’t for the upset fans we may have never heard from him!

I will of course give him a chance. And I’m glad he tried to clear everything up. But it wasn’t just about the comment. His previous films really disturbed me. I really hope he will do a good job with Eclipse. I’ll reserve further judgement until I see it.

21. Maddie Cullen says:

OMG has anyone seen the rachelle t.v. movie ad????
    it’s called “Do you know me?” I just saw it on t.v. 🙂 🙂 🙂 it uses the same song off the first twilight trailer and the voice over dude is all… “Twilight’s Rachelle Lefevre stars in Do You Know Me?” haha lol just wondering if anyone else has seen it?

22. Minaminx says:

What a lame pacification.

That pretty much covers it.

24. I never saw a problem with his original statement in the first place. it’s comedy. twilight fans need to lighten up and learn to laugh at themselves more.

25. Natasha says:

As one whose sarcastic comments and attempts at normal humour always fall waaaaay short of the funny mark, I make no comments on his comments at all. As for directorial prowess…I guess we’ll have to wait and see if he has truly appreciated the ‘rich storytelling and beautifully honest characters’ and can guide them into a fabulous film. If not, someone somewhere will still get lots of money (including mine), but I will still have my books!!!

26. Jane R says:

I shall quote Charlie on this one “Forgiveness is Divine” I will forgive David, and pray that he’ll make Eclipse into the movie we want to see at the movies next year.

27. Olivia says:

Compete and utter crap.

But then again, I was EXTREMELY skeptical of Chris Weitz, and now I have almost total faith in him.

So for now, not trusting David Slade, but my judgement is open.

28. Lol, Summit probably told him, YOU! EMAIL! NOW!

• Natasha says:

lol!!! The image of that gave me a little giggle at work. Thanks!

• Luthien says:

Yeah I think you’re right about that. And I’m not as easily appeased as most. I expected this apology. What else could he and Summit have done to try to extricate themselves from the fury of the fans? A few nice words, knowing what the fans want to hear, is not good enough for me. The proof will be his actions. He’s still a jerk in my book, and I still want another director. This entire incident should never have happened in the first place.

• shavei7 says:

LOL @ YOU! EMAIL! NOW!

29. Martina says:

My only concern is that again, someone makes fun of the Twilight mania. I doubt about him making Eclipse but lets see how it goes.

30. I think it is great he took the time to say sorry:)

31. yeah
    still not sure..

32. good for him. not to mention he knows how to work alot of the fans. especially by mentioning how much he loves the books now. go david!

33. switzgal says:

All i want is ECLIPSE to be perfect!! From the love struggles Bella has between Edward and Jacob to the newborns fight to the tent scene to Jacob and Bella’s talk in his bedroom!! This MUST make me cry, because that was the saddest part of the entire series!!!

Eclipse is my favorite book, he better not mess it up!!!

34. Look, I’m a HUGE Twilight fan, but I’ll admit I’ve made jokes at it’s expense. I found the movie to be pretty corny and embarrassing in some ways.(Still loved it though) I don’t know any man his age that was anticipating Twilight and following all the maddness that accompanied it. From his prespective, his comments make sense to me.
    I fully appreciate where he’s coming from and am glad he ended up here in love with Twilight with the rest of us. Good luck to him, and I hope he makes Eclipse the best movie possible!

35. Gabriella says:

I thing tahat he is honest, all of the persons need other opportunity

36. hmmmmm….never read the book? never saw the movie? Yet he can comment?????? hmmmmmm interesting person…one who thinks and uses sound judgement….. RIGHT….most of us learn early in life not to pass judgment without FACTS….

37. papermoon says:

all i ask is that you don’t screw up this movie.

38. xI-MustBeDreamingx says:

ha, I knew there’d be damage control.
    I understand that everyone’s pretty obessed with Twilight and that if you haven’t seen it/read it then you probably don’t like it, but on the other hand I hate people who judge things ignorantly. I guess I’ll forgive him though, and see how things turn out.

39. LaTuaCantante says:

He was ignorant and now has seen the light 🙂 Let’s all move forward together. I’m sure he’ll do great directing Eclipse.

40. I’m glad he addressed the issue, and now I hope he stays true to Eclispe and its love story. It is my favorite!!!!!!

41. Melanie says:

He is just trying to cover his butt. To him this is just another job; another pay check. I’m disappointed in Summit for choosing someone that has no respect for the series. The worst part is that Eclipes is my favorite book. The only way to redeem himself is to make Eclipse amazing.

42. Amanda says:

Props to DS for publicly seeking out the best way to reach Twilighters and offer his Olive Branch. Apology accepted dude! I was really put off by the whole bashing Twilight thing. I just don’t get why there ever has to be any bashing of any type of franchise by other celebs. But then again I am a lover – not a fighter LOL. I just dont see any point in talking crap about things you dont like. If ya dont like it move on – don’t bash it and alienate others in doing so. It just isnt wise – especially if you are in the public eye.. It’s just a crappy thing to do IMO. I am actually looking forward to seeing where he will take us with Eclipse. It is my favorite book out of the series (Im a Jacob lover!!) so I REALLY hope the intensity of Bellas’ and Jacobs’ encounter just before the battle is captured, as well as the night spent in the tent…. Don’t lose sight of the importance of these scenes DS!! lol Anyways, thank you for putting yourself out there and admitting your statements were stupid, and then actually reading the books and realizing they are worthy of their fandom!!

1. […] fãs Laura e Lorin do site Twilight Lexicon, enviaram ao diretor um e-mail onde falavam, sobre os comentários maldosos feitos por Slade sobre […]

2. […] Twilight Lexicon: Dear Laura and Lori, I would be grateful if you could distribute this statement to the fans of […]

3. […] To read the full letter please visit Twilight Lexicon. […]

4. […] un lado violento desde lo romantico en mi. Quizas deberia haber ido a ver Twilight.” Fuente: Twilight Lexicon Traducción: Twilight Latino Fotos, […]

5. […] Twilight Lexicon has a statement from David Slade, about his previous comments about Twilight, that let a lot of fans very worried and sad. “Dear Laura and Lori […]

6. […] TwilightLexicon Ti piace questo articolo? Condividilo sul tuo Facebook, Myspace, Live.. Clicca sui bottoni qui […]

7. […] David sent an email to Twilight Lexicon addressing this statement he made last […]