David Slade On The Twilight Saga

I don’t know if anyone who reads our site was a fan of The West Wing, but on the West Wing there was this episode where Martin Sheen playing President Bartlett said something really stupid, and his legal counsel played by Oliver Platt beat the hell out of the recording device on his desk with a baseball bat so there would be no evidence regarding the really stupid thing that he said.

Well, flashing forward to the Twilight world, it looks like David Slade was using a baseball bat of his own. Only it looks like the metaphorical bat here got to the evidence on Twitter, but it missed the call in show.

Slash/Film has the details on what is at the very least going to be an embarrassing incident:

“Today, however, it seems like Slade’s Twitter account has been deleted, which is a crying shame. Besides the loss of an interesting tweeter, another of the reasons this is unfortunate is that the deletion covers Slade’s tracks a little and hides a rather amusing little attack he launched on the Twilight franchise.

That being the very same Twilight franchise Slade has subsequently signed up to, and for which he will be directing the third installment, Eclipse. Oops.

So, the original Tweet might be gone but after the break we have audio of Slade ripping into Twilight”

Once you check out the full story on /Film and listen to the audio to judge for yourself, we have a question. Unfortunate foot in mouth trying to be witty on a call-in show, or is it worse than that?

The critical material in question happens at around the 9:00 minute mark in the second download, of what was otherwise and interesting an non-controversial interview.

Comments

1. Kaylie says:

I wonder if Summit knew about this before hiring him…

2. Minaminx says:

I penned a Generic Letter for Summit here it is, feel free to copy paste it into a word doc, or whatever and print it and sign it if you don’t want to take the time to write your own.

May 4, 2009

In regards to: Comments Made by Mr.
    David Slade

Summit Entertainment
    1630 Stewart Street
    Santa Monica, CA 90404

Attention: Public Relations

Dear Summit Entertainment:

This is my formal letter of complaint, with regards to the selection of David Slade for Summit Entertainment’s Eclipse project. As I’m sure you’re more than already well aware of the “Twitter” bungle on the part of Mr. Slade. It will come as no surprise to you that I have completely lost what little faith I had in Slade’s directing abilities. Especially, with regards to the Eclipse project. This is my formal statement of request for a reselection of Director. I write this as one voice of many who are extremely disappointed with the thoughtless actions of Mr. Slade. Please make us fans proud. We are all very much looking forward to seeing these books on the big screen, don’t let us down!

Thank you for your time and attention to the matter,

Very truly yours,

3. This is very disturbing!! Not sure when this twitter was done but I hope he has changed his feelings toward the series and give us a GREAT Eclipse movie. We need to let him know that this is our baby and we want the BEST.

He needs to hear from us (send letters to summit) and needs to come out and let us know that he is going to put everything make Eclipse the BEST!!

4. Well, let see how its play… I don’t want to be negative either give my support for this ass. Obviously, he puts his foot in his mouth… this is not kind of stuff that u can throw it and not wait for replay. He was insane and unfortunate on this comment. LOL, now he knows what is like u mess up with twiligters!!!! Dude, I hope u have a very good speech to TRY to CONVINCE US, if u don’t… poor of u… LOL!!!!

5. He clearly had no idea how big the Twilight saga fan base was when he made that comment. He was thinking, like so many people, that it’s for hormonal teens in love and sappy. He didn’t even see the movie and more than likely didn’t read the books.

My guess is, he’s now pouring over Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse and feels like a big jerk.

I’m a forgiving person, however, I’m not familiar with his work. I’d like to see some of it before I make a decision on whether he’d be a good director for Eclipse.

C’mon, ever send a gossipy e-mail to the wrong person? We all make mistakes and put our feet in our mouths. If he makes an apology and promises to knock our socks off, I’m okay with him.

6. Ok, if he said it before he even saw Twilight, as a joke, and before he was even set to direct Eclipse, fine. I have no problem with it. Give him a chance and see what he can do. That is what we have all done already with the first 2. We all have great expectations for bringing the books to movie, but honeslty, I don’t think he can do much worse. The movie that Catherine directed with Heath Ledger,”Lords of Dogtown”, was absolutely dreadful, and “The Golden Compass” by CW was horrible, it did not flow and made no sense. I am still concerned about New Moon being any good, and I will feel that way about any of the movies. Twilight(movie) missed alot of things that I personally thought should have been in it. I loved it when Jasper and Alice explained to Bella about why they were all protecting her. ..”those that have been with him for so long…” ..”look into his eyes for the next century…” THAT should have been in the movie (IMO). Now I have to wait and see what Chris can do with NM. I have hope as I really liked “About A Boy”. Whatever, give him a chance.

7. Arielle says:

This is why people, especially directors and those rather well known, must be careful about what they stick online! Did he really think that when he signed on to Eclipse, that the fandom wouldn’t find this? It’s like internet bullies and people who stick private photos…

Great, just great. We got a director who hates the series…and I was all excited about him to, seeing as he did 30 Days of Night.

8. MelBelle22 says:

Wow…this guy really rubs me the wrong way. I bet you Stephenie would really NOT like any of his comments. He basically just said he’d rather have someone shoot him then watch the movies…and he is supposed to direct Eclipse? Geez. Come on, Summit – hire a director who actually wants to do the series because they are into it, not because they want the money. That’s freaking horrible. For him not to even see the first two movies or read the books is really unacceptable.

9. MelBelle22 says:

Hahah correction: I said he hasn’t seen the first two movies, and I meant just Twilight. Because oooobviously New Moon hasn’t even come out yet. Durrrr.

10. Melissa Nicole says:

He should not be able to direct Eclipse…He doesn’t care about the Twilight world…We need someone who cares about Eclipse and the millions of fans who are so attached to Stephenie Meyer’s world…Its wrong for him to talk crap about Twilight and then sign on to be a director just so he can make a pretty penny for him self…Summit should get a new director, I mean how is this going to look if he directs Eclipse and the whole time we all know he doesn’t care about The Twilight Series…

11. Okay, I am completely respectful and I truly understand what the film industry is about: Making Money. However, I’m completely baffled with David Slade’s comment on Twitter. Many of you think he may have made this comment as soon as Twilight came out into theaters, but this comment could have come out when he was in selection as director of Eclipse. In some parts of the US Twilight was in theaters for months proceeding the DVD release date. However, we don’t know this. I’m speculating.

I’m sure as soon as Twilight made it big opening weekend and Summit announced New Moon being made they knew they would be making Eclipse shortly after and probably looking for the director for New Moon when looking for the director of Eclipse at the same time.

I’m honestly very disappointed about the director Summit selected. Not only were his other movies B-rated, but they were very bad. And with his previous work on 30 Days of Night can we expect anything different from that vampire movie? Obviously he loves his blood and gore, but only a small fraction of Eclipse focuses on action and I really don’t think he’d be able to do romance.

I’ve disliked him from the start. And no I am not one of the fans that took out a sharpened pitchfork when I found out Catherine was directing Twilight or when Robert was cast or when Chris was directing New Moon. I’ve always been suppotive on who was cast and who was helmed to direct the films. However, this time I think Summit made a big mistake.

I’m not going to do anything drastic in the week to come because I am hoping David Slade will send a letter of apology and assurance to the fans and that Stephenie will also assure us that he is the director she wanted for Eclipse. However if neither of these things come by Friday, I will seriously be signing a petition to sack the guy.

And honestly do you guys think it was actually David Slade’s idea to delete his Twitter account? Summit’s obviously keeping tabs on him since he is the director and came across his Twitter page, saw what he wrote and made him delete it because it’s bad press.

This is how the business is played.

12. Amanda says:

Eclipse is an emotionally charged book. To make it successful on screen you need more skills then just how to use red corn syrup. Something I’m not sure David Slade has. He’s very good portraying gross, cringe inducing and disturbing movies. But the Twilight saga above all is a love story. Not so sure especially after this quote he can, or should get the opportunity to even try to pull this off. Joke or not, it’s obvious he doesn’t like romance films.. So how exactly can you direct something you hate?

• mschicklet says:

I agree, Amanda. I’m worried. Just hoping for the best til we find out more. I really wish Steph and/or Slade would just comment on this project already. I had so much respect for Weitz for his statement right after he signed on.

• shavei7 says:

I know! after weitz released that statment I felt so much better knowing he’s not just in it for the money. I think I’ll be watching NM as much as Twilight (8x). This douche Slade however, is another story.

13. maritza says:

Eclipse is my favorite book.i really hope he doesn’t mess up this movie.If he’s not a fan of the saga,why is he directing the movie?

14. Twiligher14 says:

nice director. he doesnt even like the series! (note heavy sarcasm on “nice director”)

15. Vanessa says:

I am so tired of Twilight Haters. What I find funny is that MILLIONS of people from all age groups and walks of life have found the Twilight Saga captivating; yet we’re still looked at as some kind of amusing group of obsessed fools who aren’t familiar with great literature and films. Surely, MILLIONS of fans can’t be wrong…the books have obviously struck a chord with more than just a few crazy Rob-obsessed Tweens (no offense). When are “Twilight Haters” going to stop trying to act “too cool” for all of this and realize that we are MILLIONS strong and that that’s GOT to mean something, right?

A while back, Edi Gathedi had a great interview where he said that most Twilight Haters are afraid to be labeled as “jumpers” on the bandwagon so instead of giving the books/movies a chance, they just bash and try to belittle those of us who have already found/fell in love with the books! I think David Slade fits nicely into that category.

OK-sorry–I had to get that off my chest! I originally wanted to just say that David Slade’s portrayal of what vampires are/should be is ALL wrong for the Twilight Saga and I could not figure out what Summit was thinking when they hired him!?! And now, after these comments, it’s obvious that he does not care about the books, the movies, and more importantly the FANS! He’s obviously, just after my hard-earned dollarS and guess what? I don’t think he’s worthy of them!! I found this online petition over at TwilightMoms (us moms don’t have a lot of time to write a letter…thank you minaminx! I’ve already copied yours-you’ve saved me oodles of time!) Anyhoo, here’s this petition…do both! Write your letter and sign the petition!

Signed-A 25 year old TwilightMom :)

16. Perhaps we should all take a breather… David made his comments before seeing the film, knowing anything about the Saga and it’s amazing legion of fans…. I can only assume that he did his research before taking on the project and maybe, just maybe, that altered his opinion.

Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt for the monent. We’ve all said or done things then changed our minds and regretted it later. This is no different – it’s just has a bigger impact zone. Nobody is perfect.

17. Vanessa says:

My comment is awaiting moderation (?) But the point was…check out this online petition (I found it at TwilightMoms) Sign it if you wish…

18. xI-MustBeDreamingx says:

Wow… I was ready to give him a chance and everything.
    =/
    Now I’m positive Eclipse is gonna stink. Summit should re-consider their director.

19. Sterling Snow says:

Umm, yeah. Very not smart, David. I can understand making a comment like this to a friend or something, but to post it on the internet WHERE EVERYONE CAN READ IT?! Which is why I don’t think professionals such as himself should be tweeting about something like that. Way too easy to offend people who could end up supplying you with your next paycheck.

Obviously he’s not at all the right director, as he just pissed off half the fanbase before he’s even started filming. Brilliant, just brilliant.

20. Amanda says:

Reasons why Twilight is a great book.

21. McKenna says:

Well, I’m not exactly happy about what he said. It seems a little harsh to blatantly criticize a movie he hadn’t even watched yet. However, I do believe in giving people second chances. People say stupid, thoughtless things all the time; and if he did say this before he was hired for Eclipse, maybe that suggests he has since had a change of heart regarding Twilight. Let’s see if he does something to redeem himself; if he does, the incident can more easily be chalked off. If he doesn’t, however….
    Hopefully he will. You think he would at least want a chance to explain himself! ;)

22. What a joke, Eclipse deserves a new director ASAP!

23. WOW. and hes directing Eclipse?!? great pick.

24. Yeah this is a problem. Here is a guy that doesn’t respect the Twilight Saga or the demo that is in love with Twilight and he doesn’t understand that Twilight represents a new genre where the female audience actually can relate to the average girl heroine and enjoys ogling the hot guy characters. How can this be anything but a disaster for fans?

25. papermoon says:

you have got to be kidding me.
    uuugh. *beats head against wall*

it figures. eclipse was my favorite book, and its looking more and more like it won’t be done well. i didn’t like him to begin with, 30 days of night was awful. if he doesn’t even like the story, how on earth is he going to be able to bring it to life on screen?

i *really* would love to see JUAN ANTONIO BAYONA!! i think he would make the movie appropriately dark but with the right amount of emotion.

*shakes head*

come on, summit. really? you’re missing an excellent opportunity here.

>>_<<

26. Samantha says:

I’m not so sure I like this guy anymore…He needs to learn to get his head outta his butt.

27. kellan fan says:

i made a facebook group :p

28. He was just kidding around I hope, guys let us give him a chance I do not remember watching his movies but he did come off in this audio as not really wanting to say these words proudly so I guess he just felt dissappointed at how lame it came of as being. Many may feel this then read it and enjoy it however many also think the books are poorly written so whatever leave the guy to his oppinion if he messes up than we should worry and unite.!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Minaminx says:

Anyone notice / know if the credit under Juan Antonio Bayona’s IMDB page saying he’s directing Eclipse is new or old?

• Minaminx says:

scratch that It’s old :-( Unfortunately they need to update :-/ or maybe not maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll fire slade.

30. YOU AH**** YOUR GETITNG PAID SO JUST STUFF IT , YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE GETTING INTO WHEN YOU SIGNED ON! ITS EASY MONEY

31. I was upset when i first heard about it. But, when I went back and read the thing in its entirety it isn’t all that bad. He said, at the end, that maybe he should have gone to see it. My suggestion to him would be to read the books. I, like quite a few others, felt that the movie was poorly done and didn’t do the book justice. It’s only saving grace was Robert Pattinson. That man smoldered, as Edward Cullen.

Plus, I was one of those people laughing the Twilight series off as some tween nonsense and thought it rediculous. Then I read the books and am completely in love with the series, or should I say Edward Cullen. I’m now reading Eclipse and Breaking Dawn through the second time.

• I agree in part with u Kim ( ‘cuz I’m a Huge fan since twilight_book came out), maybe u r right & I can give him the benefit of doubt… but one thing is getting on my nerves is “Twilight for teens”… UGH!!!!! Give me a break!!!! I’ve alread seen people in all ages, all shapes & sex reading the series. I’m in my very late 20′s, & I don’t think this series is only for kids, ‘cuz if u ask to anyone who read it & is almost over 20′s, they really like it. I’m so tired to hear this kind of stuff…

32. some people do what i did and laugh the series off then read the books and go, wait there’s something to this and it is pretty good.

33. Wow I hope summit cans his sorry ass cause obviously he is stupid enough to say that he is stupid enough to screw up his job on this project.

I think Steph has some say but i don’t think she can override summits choices i think her rights go as far as creative content, That was one thing i liked about hardwick she seemed to really listen to Steph M. and tried to keep to the book as much as possible,. (I haven’t analyzed a movie so much since advance lit and media classes in college)

34. MariposaAlice says:

I’m not really concerned about this. I think he meant it in the sense that he didn’t want to see a vampire romance just yet. I’m not gonna take it as he really meant it, so I really don’t care.

35. vampbball says:

I wanted to write an email to Summit explaining to them that we are fans of Stephenie Meyer’s books, not their movies, and if they pick a director who is unable to convey emotional depth or who despises the series, the movie will bomb. (How much of their revenue from Twilight came from repeated viewings?) But I wasn’t able to find a company email address on their website. Lexicon administrators, do you know of a public email address for Summit, or an appropriate way to make this type of comment?

36. shortstuff says:

oh common, lets cut the guy some slack.. if you listen to the audio its not as bad as the trancript makes it seem. this was WAY before he was attached to eclipse and he was even reluctant to say the comment because he knew it would make ppl upset, but the host egged him on. Its obvious he was making a joke for his twitter followers. I dont think he even watched the movie at that point, cuz at the end he says “i should have watched it”.

I’ll be ready to judge the guy once I’ve actually seen his work.

37. safina says:

I’m not sure what to say about this.I don’t even know if he is a good director or not,so I can’t even judge him just yet.

38. x.edward is my brand of heroin.x says:

I agree that this is bad, but I think we need to put this into perspective.
    If he stuffs up Eclipse (which he better not, or I will be the one with the gun) then we have reason to bash him and everything. Until then, I think I’m going for team switzerland.x

39. Chelsea says:

Hi! Uh, guys, how do you sign the petition. I really don’t know. So if you could help….Please? I totally appreciate it. Thanks, Twilighters! (*_*)

40. Guys, this has REALLY been taken out of context. He’s explained himself on numerous occasions and he made those comments way before he signed on. He was just being silly and funny.

I’m a big fan of Slade and his work. Hard Candy is one of the best films I think I’ve ever seen – Slade really captures the intensity of the situation and it’s tha energy the franchise needs after Twilight’s dreary, plodding pace. He’s also worked with Muse on several occasions and made arguably their best video to date (Sing For Absolution).

A director like him is exactly what’s needed if the Twilight Saga wants to grow up.

41. Ooops, posted this in the wrong place, sorry!!