Behind the Scenes at the Stephenie Meyer Google Hangout

eliz-remind twiligth steph

Wonder what it was like at the Google Hangout that happened last week with Stephenie Meyer and The Host cast.  One of our readers, Elizabeth AKA EverythingRemindsMeOfTwilight, was lucky enough to attend and she reports in for us!

The Google Plus Chat with Stephenie Meyer and cast made for a Valentine’s Day that I will never forget! This was my first time meeting Stephenie Meyer, and it was a small venue (there were only 15 of us)! The “witty banter” and teasing amongst the cast and Stephenie had all of us in the audience laughing.

They debuted the new, full theatrical trailer, but for us in the audience there was no sound. They played it again after the interview was done, but honestly, I was so distracted getting to see Stephenie that I didn’t pay as close attention to the trailer as I should have. I still need to watch it again to really “get it all.”

eliz jakeThe part of the interview that struck me the most was Stephenie’s answer regarding what didn’t make it in the movie. When she told us that Walt was not in the movie, there a definite reaction from the audience. There was a bit of a gasp and people seemed a bit stunned. Stephenie assured us, however, that the feel of the movie has the feel of the book so well that it pulls you in and you actually don’t realize you’re missing Walt until someone mentions that he’s missing. I don’t know how the others in the audience felt; but I was glad to hear her assurances and it makes me look forward to the finished film even more.

I really appreciated Stephenie’s response when she was asked about the love story of The Host. It was probably the moment when the audience was its quietest. It was like you could feel everyone’s attention on Stephenie as she eloquently described the different kinds of love she’d written and how they are relatable on very different levels to even herself—brotherly love, mother love, loyalty to community, and best friend/sisterly love. I, like Stephenie, have two sisters that I am very close with and that aspect of The Host resonates deeply with me.

When the interview was done, a staffer asked us to head out to the lobby to be escorted back to the exit. So, as Stephenie left the stage, not two feet from me, I quickly expressed my thanks for her books and all the joy she’d given me and the people I know. I started to leave; but when I looked back, I found I was the only one following the staffer out. Everyone else had lined up and started taking pictures and getting autographs. So back to the line I went, and I am so glad! I was able to get Jake Abel’s autograph first and a picture. I asked Stephenie if she had to go, but she said no, and as she started signing my book, I started crying my thanks. She was incredibly sweet and gracious and generous and listened to me blubber out my thanks for all her great writing. It was truly a Valentine’s Day that I will never forget!

Comments

1. Elizabeth (EverythingRemindsMeOfTwilight) says:

Thanks again for letting me share this. Course, now in hindsight, I wished I’d asked about her use of scents in her writing. Wanda never had the sense of smell before Melanie. But, I was so curious about the soundtrack. And downloaded the Imagine Dragons album as soon as I got home. :)

It really was an amazing experience. :)

• Elizabeth, you were so lucky to get to spend so much time with Stephanie and the cast and it was great that you could share it with all of us readers. Your mom told us that you had won to go to the Q&A. I’m in the same Twi group with your mom, and I got to meet her for the first time and one of your sisters, when our group was in LA BD2 fan camp in Nov. Thanks so for sharing your experience.

• Elizabeth (EverythingRemindsMeOfTwilight) says:

:D

• Elizabeth congrats on this wonderful event….. so glad that you got to do this event… I know your mom was so excitied. I also was with her at the BD premier. I didn’t get to meet Stephanie until premier night and it was awesome…. She is sweet. and I have to say you look like your mom. Sorry…. just couldn’t pass that up…. So did she say if The Host is going to be a series also? Really happy for you great write up…..

• Elizabeth (EverythingRemindsMeOfTwilight) says:

Thanks so much, Kathleen. My mom told me you got to meet Stephenie Meyer at the premiere. She is an amazing woman. And thanks for the compliment that I look like my mom. :) She’s a pretty lady. And there’s a Twi connection there…when Bella sees Renesmee and notices how Renesmee has her eyes…and how much more wonderful that makes it all. :)

As for the Host being a series, she didn’t tell us anything outside of the interview that was posted on YouTube, but I do know from what she said there and other interviews (including things here on the Lexicon), that the Host was to be the first of a trilogy. Quite awhile back, Stephenie said the next books would be THE SEEKER and THE SOUL. She’s also said that she has an outline that’s about 50 pages long that includes dialogue, but that right now with touring for the Host, it’s very slow going. She’s not able to get a lot of pages done. Hopefully, once the Host comes out, she’ll have a little more writing time. But, we’ll have to see since her production company has also optioned some other YA novels. A couple of them with Wyck Godfrey even. :)

• Elizabeth (EverythingRemindsMeOfTwilight) says:

I hadn’t heard that Wyck and Taylor were working together again. I know about Wyck and Stephenie from the Lexicon’s master list here: http://www.twilightlexicon.com/2013/01/23/what-is-stephenie-meyer-working-on-next-a-summary/

2. EdwardsNana says:

Elizabeth, what a thrill for you, meeting our sweet SM.
    Your sweet mom shared it with all of us.

3. TeamEC1918 says:

Congrats Elizabeth! What an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing. Your mom gave us the link :)

4. Hey! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with
    us so I came to check it out. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Great blog and outstanding design.

1. […] Fonte: twilightlexicon var partnership_width = 300; var partnership_height = 250; var partnership_mtype = 'rmt'; var partnership_partner = 'AFL-03-14163'; var domain_url = 'http://afiliados-2012.submarino.com.br'; var partnership_bidentifier = 1; var partnership_bformat = 3; var partnership_final_url = domain_url + '/afiliados/midia/'+partnership_mtype+'/'+partnership_bidentifier+'/'+partnership_bformat+'/'+partnership_partner; var partnership_wname = partnership_partner +'__'+ partnership_bidentifier+'__'+partnership_bformat+partnership_mtype; this.window.document.write(''); Tags: a hospedeira, chat, fã, foto, google, stephenie meyer Categoria Elenco, eventos, Filmes: A Hospedeira | fev 19th, 2013 por prih` […]