Audi’s Vampire Themed Superbowl Pitch: “Audi Puts an End to the Vampire Party”

Audi sent us over the following Superbowl ad and this statement to go with it.

“Hi there,

Wanted to share Audi’s :60 Super Bowl spot with you. As you’ll see, it highlights Audi’s LED lights and aims at finally, FINALLY putting an end to the vampire party and to the greater vampire trend in pop culture. It’s about time, don’t you think?”

The press release itself went on to say:

Audi’s signature LED headlights take center stage in the spot. The all-new 2013 Audi S7 arrives at a vampire party in the woods and brings with it an unexpected surprise.

“In the spot, Audi LEDs – which at 5,500 Kelvin produce the closest recreation of daylight available – put an end to the vampire party, and perhaps, to the greater vampire trend in pop culture,” said Scott Keogh, Chief Marketing Officer, Audi of America.

The vampire trend exploded onto the pop culture scene over a decade ago, with over a dozen television shows and over 24 movies launched in recent years, as well as countless books, video games and even vampire-themed cruises.

“Given the power of the Super Bowl platform, we wanted to create an entertaining spot that clearly focused on our LED headlights — one of our key product attributes – while also sparking conversation about whether or not it’s time for us to move on from the omnipresent vampire trend into something new and even more exciting,” Keogh added.

What do you think of their approach?

Comments

1. smitten_by_twilight says:

Sounds like it will appeal to men who feel they’re competing with vampires.

2. I think it’s a great jab at Volvo! (Although, they obviously didn’t take into consideration that OUR vampires aren’t threatened by daylight.) ;)

• Right on Laurie! Maybe Audi needs to do a little research on how daylight affects different vampires. I don’t think bright headlights are a selling point to buying a car.

• Joshua L. Roberts says:

Shannon… … .. . Vampires have been combusting to sunlight since Count Orlac POOFED at the end of Nosferatu. While sunlight combustion isn’t appart of traditional vampire lore, it is a large part of fiction. It wasn’t until recent vampire movies and books, that this concept has been altered. So I think Audi did a great job. It was funny and clever.

• Twilight_News says:

Sabrina down below summed up my feelings exactly. The video itself I have no issue with. It’s clever. However their CEO and the press release is highly insulting.

As Sabrina eloquently put it “it is funny, and I like the commercial. I would have liked it better if their representative didn’t add his commentary. I would never have thought the commercial as insulting until he said that.

I love vampires and would have loved hte commercial even more if I never heard him speak what it means ot the company. Seems shallow to insult the genre that you are then going to, to promote yourself..not cool man”

3. Hilarious!

4. I LOVED it, it was too funny!! ;)

5. Stephanie says:

I think it is utterly lame.

6. *Dislike*

7. it is funny, and I like the commercial. I would have liked it better if their representative didn’t add his commentary. I would never have thought the commercial as insulting until he said that.

8. ashcullen says:

vampires cant disnegret in head lights lol

9. It’s clever (shrugs), but the funniest part for me was the “liquid refreshment” he was bringing to the party. That earned more laughter from me than the headlights. :)

10. How lame,Volvo commericials are so much better.Not a great commericial if they are tryin to appeal to twilight fans,our vamps arent bothered by light.

11. I’d rather be a stupid,shiny volvo owner.

12. Chela Madison says:

Hmm. I think the press release makes things odd. The commercial itself is good. It comes off as acknowledging how much vampire stuff is out there now and having fun with that, doing a little teasing. But then the comments

‘…while also sparking conversation about whether or not it’s time for us to move on from the omnipresent vampire trend into something new and even more exciting,’ Keogh added”

kind of puts a negative spin on things in my opinion. It makes me think “wait you’re laughing AT us and not WITH us?” Because the comments make it seem like they feel vampires are worn out. And it would be over-saturating the markett, in my opinion, if a new vampire movie or show came out right now, however the movies and shows that were established early on (Twilight, True Blood, Vampire Diaries) are good. Many of us are fans. So it seems strange that they want to come off as saying “down with the vampires!” instead of something that’s more tongue-in-cheek humor and fun. But I guess I have to consider the fact that maybe they’re trying to target men, and many men (not all =)!!!) are sick of all of the vampire stuff or weren’t into it in the first place.

13. That Other Twilighter Girl says:

Funny how ,they are trying to put themselves above the ‘vampire hype’ by investing in it.
    Clever, also of them to send this to the lexicon. Even if most of us are thinking in the back of our heads ‘ how dare they!!!!!!!!! And our amps don’t disintegrate in sunlight, let alone headlights !so there!!!’,, we are talking about it. Thats an advertising win.

Beth Anne Burner has a great point!how much would we love it if they created an add for the incredibly niche market of people who would know that, and would actually consider buying one because of that.

And I too, would much rather have a silver Volvo ….Or a red Chevy truck …

14. Could someone please pass me the crackers? Cause this ad is super cheesy!! It seems like an uncool ad exec’s attempt to be cool that just fell flat. It had so much potential, but it just fizzled out as it went along – no pun intended. Oh, well.

15. I though it was funny. And the way I see it, they weren’t implying you’re an idiot if you like a specific version of the vampire mythology like some others might do. Most people seem to accept that according to new vampire mythology, vamps go poof in bright light.

16. The commercial was entertaining in its own way, especially the end when the driver himself gets poofed into ash. However, at the same time, it is offending especially since Audi felt they should send us a press release. Didn’t they think we’d find it a little offensive?

17. The commercial itself was funny, but I agree that we could have lived without the commentary. Vampire mythology has been around a long time, I don’t see it going anywhere. I am sad the twilight saga is coming to close, I would love more (midnight sun hint). With shows like True Blood and Vampires Diaries, Being Human, etc, I don’t see vampires dying out any time soon, all the better. So keep the commercial and lose the snarky CEO.

1. […] is the original post: Audi's Vampire Themed Superbowl Pitch: “Audi Puts an End to the … Related Posts:Audi Outs Vampire Themed 2012 Superbowl Commerical Early Audi's :60 TV spot set […]