Yesterday morning right as I was doing the news at approximately 9:00am est I picked up on the fact that apparently something went down Twilight related to supposedly cause actress Emma Roberts to delete her Twitter account. I decided to investigate. Below is what I did to investigate anyone can duplicate these results:
1. Using a Google search I discovered that the name of Emma Robert’s (unverified) twitter was RobertsEmma. I tried to then click on the link and discovered that the account was in fact deleted.
2. I then noticed that there was a Google cached version I clicked on that page whose last tweet showed that she was about to be on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Robert Pattinson. It also showed her follower count number at 174,134. Emma herself was following 43 people who were all celebrities or connected to the entertainment industry in some regard. She was not following fan accounts. (See screen cap here and here. Google cache took this record on Jun 15, 2010 12:05:16 GMT).
3. I then put the following in the twitter search @robertsemma because I wanted to see what massive hate had apparently been sent to Emma. It took me about 5-7 minutes to click back enough times to get to tweets that happened starting from her first appearance on screen (Remember I did this at 9:00am est roughly 8.5 hours after her appearance went live on the East Coast TV, any one can do the same, and replicate these same results, but now an entire day later it’s going to take you considerably longer to do this.). I looked at all the tweets sent to her from her appearance through 9:00am yesterday morning. I am uncertain as to the exact time her account was deleted, so I do not know which was the last message that she saw. I discovered the following:
A. 10-15 people being supportive of her appearance, her career in general, etc.
B. 10-15 people stating things like ew team Jake, Team Edward all the way (personally I wouldn’t categorize that as a disagreement not so much as hate)
C. 5-6 people who I would call an embarrassment to any fandom for some really despicable comments that I can’t print here.
D. Many, many, many tweets to Emma of people being supportive and apologizing for crazies
Here are the observations I made yesterday morning at approximately 9:00 am on the Lexicon Twitter account right after conducting the search typos and all:
I just traced the supposed massive @robertsemma hate that supposedly caused her to delete her twitter. It’s like 5 crazy people not 1,000′s
Run trace on @robertsemma tweets & see for yourself. Like 5 crazies. rest are either supportive/polite disagree/RT of her sparkle tweet[ NOTE: I meant to say statement on the show, but said tweet by mistake I don't feel this significantly changed the context.]
Unless I am missing the obvious, not see 1,000′s of hate messages directed @robertsemma. Took me less than 5 minutes to complete the search
Also check out the screen names of some of the haters and their avi’s one in articular is an OBVIOUS troll just based on the name
Not saying the haters r right, just saying like 5 haters when you r a celebrity after talk show appearance vs what was over 100K followers
good point RT @VictoriaBSB u wont see all the that bully cuz most of them may have their accounts block so they (cont) http://tl.gd/1tqof0 [NOTE: I later tested and you can't see what a person who has their account locked says using your @ name. Therefore, if there was hate spewed in that fashion she never saw it. If it was public when tweeted it stays in public view.]
@SherS90 That many deleting? Seems unlikely if they r crazy/felt strongly about it they’d leave it, but I grant you the now private we can’t see[Note: references people making a tweet and then making their account private and or deleting the tweet]
Anyway just saying if I had 100K followers even if it were 1,000 haters, I’d dig in my heels and be like I’m staying not letting you win
So today, E! has run a story stating it was a massive storm of crazy Team Jacob people that caused Emma Roberts to delete her twitter.
Here are my final thoughts:
1. I personally find it highly unlikely that 1,000 of haters suddenly deleted their hate messages. Tweets that are from unlocked accounts at the time they are tweeted remain visible. They do not disappear if the user then locks the account. They only disappear if the user deletes them.Crazy people tend not to know they are crazy and they stick by their actions. Even if only 10% of 1,000 hateful messages remained I should have seen 100 hateful and vile messages. I did not. I saw repetitive what I would term hateful and vile messages from 5-6 people who I personally hope someone TOSed their sorry butts to Twitter from breaking the harassment code!
2. I am by no means defending the people who wrote messages that were personal attacks upon Emma Roberts. I have no real issue with people stating “ewww Team Jake, team Edward all the way” which is opinion not an attack in my view. I do have a serious issue with people who tweet things along the line of “You stupid effin b@#*& youre whore”, and there were approximately 5-6 of those who I saw.
3. Emma Roberts certainly has the right to delete her twitter if she wants, and I certainly can’t quantify the number of people she had to hear from before she personally felt threatened. No one should have to put up with a vile personal attack via Twitter, paparazzi, stalker, whoever.
4. Emma Roberts has not issued any statement on why she deleted this twitter account(which again was an unverified account).
5. In the end was their hate? Yes. Was this hate justifiable and should it be defended? A RESOUNDING NO! Would I qualify it as a groundswell? No. Do I think it indicative of the Twilight fandom was a whole? No
6. My personal message to the minority I witnessed who were idiots, “I think you are a bunch of asinine miscreants that made the rest of us look bad. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for perpetuating the stereotype of the vapid and emotionally unstable, and illogical woman with a vendetta. Karma has a way of coming back at people, no doubt you will eventually get yours.” To the rest of the Twilight fandom who are crazy and passionate in a good way, rock on…or should I say sparkle on!