Bree Tanner Hits the US Sales Charts

BreeTannerYesterday we reported how The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner rocketed to the top of the UK sales charts. Today, USA Today is reporting the same thing.

USA Today along with the Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and Publishers Weekly are the premier lists that booksellers want their products to appear on.  Publishers Weekly and The New York Times subdivide their lists into various subcategories whereas USA Today and the Wall Street Journal throw everybody in together.   What often happens, is that it’s very hard to tell how a book is really doing via the New York Times lists (there are over 30 subcategories) and Publishers Weekly (they don’t rate children’s/teen books).  In fact the New York Times subdivided its list as a direct response to the Harry Potter books clogging the top spots for over a year. On the other hand you can really see the domination of YA material on the USA Today and Wall Street Journal lists.  Last year the Twilight Saga, the Whimpy Kid Series, and the Hunger Games series dominated those lists for weeks.

USA Today published the following today:

“‘Bree’ rules: Like Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, Books 3 and 4 in Stephenie Meyer‘s Twilight saga, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella enters USA TODAY’s Best-Selling Books list in the top spot. The big difference? Fans had a choice: Buy the book, which went on sale Saturday, or read it for free through July 5 at breetanner.com. Little, Brown reports 350,000 copies were sold in the USA in the book’s first 48 hours on sale; 15,000 have read it online so far. “Given all the time in the world … I could write a short story for every one of my characters,” Meyer says.”

You can check out the USA Today top 150 list here.

Here are where the Twilight Saga books currently rank:

1.   The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

9.   Eclipse

37.  Breaking Dawn

54.  Twilight

65.  New Moon

Comments

1. Way to go!! I absoutely adored d Bree book,it completely deserves d top spot.By d way,I would LOVE it if Stephenie plans to remove a short story on more characters.I’ve always wanted one on Alice,since I really want to know precisely how d “seeing d future” thing works.I would love some Alice/Jasper scenes too.

I wouldn’t mind a short story on Renesmee either,preferably something after Breaking Dawn.She’s just sooo adorable. Gosh, now i’m really getting greedy lol.

2. “Given all the time in the world … I could write a short story for every one of my characters,” Meyer says.”
    Wow! Just reading those couple of lines has got me excited for the future..is Stephenie Meyers hinting that she might be writing more books for the Twi-saga? I dont know, but I sure hope she does. :D

Bree Tanner is amazing, Well done Stephenie x

3. I didn’t think I’d like Bree Tanner but I read it online in like an hour! It was so amazing!

And I hope that Stephenie Meyer writes more short stories about the characters. My top three choices? Jasper, Alice & Carlisle.

4. Joan Bryant says:

That’s great news that I totally expected! That also means a lot of dollars were donated to the Red Cross. Even though they have dropped quite a few spots its still nice to know all the books still rank in the top 100 when it comes to book sales and people are still trying to get into the whole Twilight Phenomean.

5. How BLIND is Stephanie…. to see the overwhelming DEMAND for more books to be written as part of this series…. Not just teasers like the short life of Bree… but full blown novels….

STEPHANIE… TWILIGHT SERIES IS YOU!!!! WE FANS WANT MORE …..

• CARINNA! says:

WE the fans WOULD LOOOOOOOOOVE THE WHOLE SAGA IN EDWARD’S POINT OF VIEW! NOW THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

6. SM is amazing. Congrats to her! I can’t believe so many people went out and bought the book when they could read it online for free. I purchased the book because I know I’m going to end up reading it like 20 times.

7. I read the book for free online, but only because I didn’t want to wait. I’m still going to buy it.

8. wow that is totally amazing. i was not going to buy the book because i didn’t think i really need to but if that small book is that good for sales. then i am going to try and get it

9. What makes me so happy about these sales figures is that $1.00 of each goes to charity. I LOVE that.

I have read the book and really enjoyed it. I recommend it. It’s another side of vampirism that Stephenie brings reality to.

10. Well lets hope Stephanie finds “all the time in the world” and write them! But this will only probally happen in my dreams!

I bought the book but haven’t read it yet. I was reading Breaking Dawn for the 2nd time and am waiting till I finish it before I start Bree

11. I`m getting angry,STOP comparing HARRY POTTER AND TWILIGHT! I LIKE THEM BOTH,BUT I THINK more Harry Potter because it`s more special.But these are two different stories people omg.

12. Of course we would all love to see more books, BUT we need to remember that she is the MOM of small children. she is not going to have “all the time in the world” as much as we would like her to.

13. What’s up with Edward being described as a red-head in Bree Tanner?! Did anyone else catch that and find it weird?!

14. Emily Paeth says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy want to read this book i liked bree in Eclipse. I cant wait for the movie to come out

15. Twilight dreamer says:

Loved Bree tanner! it was amazing i read it in a good hour! squeels of excitment as i raced into the bookstore! i am surprised twilight is so far down on the list hmmm…maybe because everyone has read it? well not rlly i met a women the other day who didnt no anything about Twilight at all! living under a rock much? i tried to explane as much as possible but then my friends dragged me off muttering ‘crazy’ and ‘obbsessed’ well i am! lOVED IT AND CANNOT WAIT 4 JUNE 30TH!!

16. Luisa Ardila says:

Oh, this makes me happy for so many reasons

17. I can’t read the book from the website. Its just a blank space between the top and bottom of the page. How can I read it?

18. I’m really proud that the fans are embracing Stephenie’s gift to us by turning around and supporting her and her charity choice anyhow.

19. Harshi Abeysuriya says:

I got the book and loving it! I love Bree and Diego oh and ofcourse stinky fred! lol

20. I know you are all going to jump all over me for this, but i was a little disappointed by the Bree Tanner book. I don’t really feel like I learned anything i didn’t already know about. Except maybe that Bree met a boy that she liked and he died.

- Victoria was behind the army — check
    - Riley was in love with victoria –check
    - The volturi knew about and were letting victoria create the army — check
    - Bree was a helpless kid who didn’t want to fight –check
    - Bree dies in the end. – CHECK

So all in all, i was a little underwhelmed.

• I found a few things I didn’t know previously:
      – limbs can be “glued” back on with saliva
      – 2 vamps kissing sounds like stone knocking together (could’ve guessed this, but never read it described this way – sex must be LOUD!) :)
      – Bree was “talking” to Edward before she died

• No where in eclipse did it say that the Volturi knew it was Victoria creating the Army and that Jane let her do it.

The best part was that it was nice to understand the blood lust better, because Bella didn’t really have it the same way. And it was funny to see how Stephanie showed how the things we do to our bodies affects our Blood. (Bitter, Sour, Sweet) I thought was neat.