Add M. Night Shyamalan to the Breaking Dawn Director Pile

MKnightAt first the list included Gus Van Sant, Sofia Coppola, and Bill Condon discovered by Hollywood insider Nikkie Finke who writes for Deadline Hollywood. Then the name Stephen Daldry surfaced discovered by the LA Times. Right after that MTV (there seems to be a pattern here, you’ll see in a minute) asked The Runaways director, Floria Sigismondi, if she were interested and she gave a polite and non-committal answer.

Now enter M. Night Shyamalan, director of the upcoming The Last Airbender that stars Jackson Rathbone. MTV put the question to him, and to our surprise M. Knight (can we call him just Knight?) was a apparently fan of the first movie…who knew?

“”I would’ve loved to be– I love the series, and Catherine [Hardwicke’s] movie, it was one of my favorite movies of that year,” he said. “Really, I thought tonally, it was a perfect movie. I called her up after I saw ‘Twilight’ and was like ‘That was amazing.’ So I’m a big fan.”

Read the rest at MTV.

So, what do you think of the latest person to express interest in the project.

Comments

1. I wouldn’t mind him directing BD, but I wouldn’t want him having an ability to alter the script, which at times is hard to manage.

What I would love to know is if we could get someone to either work with Melissa to write the screenplay or someone new in general.

2. I know a lot of people don’t like his movies but honestly I would be thrilled I LOVE him

• yeah.. i’m one that isn’t a big fan, especially the last few like lady in the water and the village. funny.. both had bryce dallas howard.

• but you know, now that i think of it… he has a way of creeping you out without actually having to show you everything, which might be needed in breaking dawn. stephenie meyer will not allow the movies to have a rating beyond pg13 as she won’t watch R rated movies herself. some things are better left to the imagination anyway. do we need to see the graphically gross birth scene or can he make us feel it the same without showing it sooo much? with meyer’s rating restrictions, we’ll need a genius to handle this one. he could be the guy. i just hope that the director chosen consults with hardwicke and hires a kick a$$ cgi team.

3. love his movies but his direction wouldnt be right i dont think. I agree with TJB about someone helping MelRose with the script! Especially if there is gonna be 2 movies! She might need a teensy bit of help to secure all mine and everyone elses fave parts!

4. lvtwilight09 says:

I’m not too sure about him directing it. His movies tend to be a bit weird. Dont get me wrong, i enjoy his movies, but I feel like the kinds of films he makes is an entire world away from what BD should be.

5. Oh geez… Now I’ve heard it all.

6. OMG, I was just watching his movie Signs a minute ago thinking “hmm, he would be a really good director for Breaking Dawn,” then I saw this! lol!

7. I think he would be ok as a director as long as he couldn’t change the script, because he doesn’t have a great track record when it comes to movie endings.

8. I actually think he is probably the best person out of the ones suggested to direct this movie. He is good with wierd, alternate type ending movies and knows the horror genre pretty well. He also seems to be the first one I’ve read about that actually DOES seem interested in directing the movie.

• TOTALLY agree. I said the same thing, “He’s good with wierd.” And God knows there’s some wierd in BD. My only concern is with the emotional arc of the story. I haven’t seen any movies of his with undying love as a central theme. But, so far, he seems the most reasonable of the names being tossed around.

9. Please, no. Think he is one of the most over-rated directors in Hollywood. Plus I would not want any bizarre ‘twist’ ending to Breaking Dawn – can only imagine what that would entail; don’t really want to imagine that – the original is great as is.

Sofia all the way!

• Devon Hernandez says:

Erm….I don’t know what everyone is freaking about.

1. This wasn’t the kind of movie Catherine has previously done.

2. Everyone freaked about Chris, because of the “tragedy” of The Golden Compass, and look! Holy movie career redemption, Batman! Now we love Chris.

3. This wasn’t the kind of movie David Slade had ever done.

4. M. Knight is currently filming The Last Airbender, which I’m sure WILL NOT have any twist endings…because it’s based on an already completed cartoon series and one of his daughter’s favorite shows. Just because he’s done other “twist ending” movies doesn’t mean he can’t stick to a movie that doesn’t have one and the story has already been put out to the masses in book form…we know Stephenie has a bit of control, and I think it’s absurd that she would let someone put a movie out that didn’t resolve the way the book did. Geez, people, just f’ing calm down already.

• I completely agree Devon. This was not the type of movie that any of the previous 3 directors had been involved in before, and look at how well the first two have done.
        I also agree that I don’t think he would deviate from the books. He has a daughter, who I’m sure is a fan of the series, and he admits to liking the first movie. That comment alone tells me he would stay true to the book.
        And like everyone has been saying. He does handle weird really well. And lets face it. Nessie is one weird twist!

• everyone knows the studio ruined golden compass and took a lot of control away from chris. what chris had was experience with cgi and an amazing cgi team that was needed for new moon with the werewolves.

there will be tons of cgi in breaking dawn. they need a director that knows what they’re doing with such a big project and knows all the right people that can get it done. i hope they put it out in 3D

10. I agree his movies are usually strange. I have been a fan of his and have seen all his movies in theaters because I enjoy them, but for BD I am not sure he is the right one. Plus it honestly scares me for him to direct it when Twilight is one of his favorite movies of that time…Did the dude even see New Moon?

11. Juliette says:

I would love it! He’s easily my favorite director. Even if you don’t like the plots to his movies, the look and feel of them is spectacular. I would be absolutely thrilled if he directed BD.

12. Would love to see this happen. I am a total fan of M. Night!

13. His last few pics have been duds. the other directors that have been mentioned have been a much more interesting possibility

14. why not have a whole bunch of directors put their feed in and just throw it all together and mix it up. ..and WHALA!!! done.

15. Lynn Aquin says:

He is a master of suspense; I think he would be great.

16. Kate Canfield says:

I think he would have great ideas on how to bring the action and magic to BD. But I agree with what was said earlier. He can do no alterations. They have done a great job of staying to the story showing all the reasons that Twilight has become a romance that I experience everyday. They need to end it with the passion it started with. But since there is a wild ending to the story a dirctor of action is needed.

17. He’s got aliens, strange “happenings”, and fictional nickolodeon characters in his collection . . . might as well add vampires and werewolves.

However, his career will end in an instant if he bombs this. Just saying. This is the ending to the story we love. I’d love to have a bigger name then him. Honestly, he’s only known for his “weird” stuff, that honestly doesn’t even do that good in the box office.

But maybe he’ll surprise us.

18. I hope he does not direct Breaking Dawn, only cause I do not like any of his movies. I am afraid he will not direct Breaking Dawn to it’s great story!!! Please not him!!!

19. Twi~dancer72 says:

ewwwwww no… not him

20. mschicklet says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

• Fiona Cullen says:

I completely agree with you! I would HATE if he directed Breaking Dawn. There aren’t many directors in the world that I despise but he is one of them. To be honest, I don’t have any super relevant points about his directing techniques to make but any of the other directors in the running would be better then M. Knight.

21. Hey look, someone who could actually make Breaking Dawn good!

22. I would love for him to direct Breaking Dawn. He’s actually who I thought of a long time ago when no one was even sure if there would be a movie for it. He would do great and I am hoping he is the one they pick.

23. Latish Jenkins says:

I think he has a touch that Breaking Dawn needs. This film will require experience in sci-fi, even though he doesn’t portray love too well in his films that’s what the screenplay is for. Melissa has the best person helping her with the script already, Stephenie Meyers, she doesn’t need anyone else. I am finally game with this director although I don’t think he is being considered, it may just be him talking about the franchise in general. Come on BREAKING DAWN!

24. yes i have been thinking of a director that could pull this off and i cant believe i didnt think of him bd is really wierd at times and i think he is our best shot at being able to make this movie work

25. I don’t think Breaking Dawn CAN be a good movie lol. I’d prefer it to be toned down a bit and with a good script, and -then- we can talk directors :P Though, Shyamalan seems like he would do well even though I haven’t seen any of his movies, and like mentioned, he actually wants to do it! That’s good.

• Amy, I’m going to agree with you. Breaking Dawn has really got me nervous. I’m so scared they’re going to screw it up and the entire franchise is going to go out like a dud.

The book wasn’t that great. And I’m NOT a Twilight hater. It just was my least favorite book. I think it totally strayed from the premise of the three earlier books when she chose to narrate half of it in Jacob’s POV. He was NEVER the focus of the basic story that we all love, which is Bella and Edward.

Can M. Knight get the romance right?? That’s what I’m afraid they’re going to mess up. The wedding…the honeymoon…etc. I’m not worried about the gory birth. Anyone can do that with a well-timed fade away.

This makes me so nervous…

26. KSmithGray says:

I LOVE M.K.S.!!! He’s well respected, well known, and he makes good movies. A loud YES PLEASE from this Twi-fan!

27. I WOULD LOVE FOR M NIGHT TO DIRECT BD. He is my favorite director, and I think he could really handle the strange twists and turns that BD throws in there. Not to mention I live near Philadelphia, PA and he will not shoot outside of a certain radius away from the city, which would mean filming of BD would be nearby. Maybe I could catch the cast members out at the clubs in Philly!!!

28. rhiannon says:

he makes interesting movies *the sixth sense* but i would too worried he would make it a figment of someone’s imagination

29. Twilight Granny says:

If he loved Hardwicke’s directing, then please keep him away from any part of Breaking Dawn.

• KSmithGray says:

I have to agree that it made me nervous that he thought what Catherine did was fantastic… Watching the movie over and over, I can see why people make fun of Twilight and the people who enjoy it. Apparently she’s a terrible director to work with too. If you watch the interviews of the actors, they always say things like “shes a free spirit” or “she’s very impulsive”. If that’s the best thing they can say about her… well… you get a movie like Twilight.

On the other hand, I wasn’t remotely interested in reading the Twilight Saga until I saw the first movie. It is what motivated me to read the series. I guess, in that regard, she must have done something right. I’m now a huge Twilight fan and I love it so much that I love its flaws, too.

• Keep in mind, he did say “tonally perfect.” That doesn’t mean that he thought the entire movie was perfect. But I do know what you’re saying.

30. FilDeCuivre says:

No! After seeing The Happening I hope he would stay far away from BD as possible!

Twilight Granny: Haha, that’s exactly what I thought :D

• Ashly 123 says:

OMG! I totally agree. The Happening was the worest movie I’ve have seen in years. I would absolutly HATE to see him direct Breaking Dawn! I LOVE Breaking Dawn and I would NOT like it to be ruined by M. Knight. I want Breaking Dawn to be the best movie out of them all…I will be very upset if it is any less than perfect. New Moon was perfect and I think that Chris Weitz should come back…He seems to know what he’s doing.

31. Barbara Norwood says:

I TOTALLY agree with comments 29 and 30. I love Twilight but feel Hardwicke had a completely wrong feel of the story. If M Knight liked her version then keep him away. Chris’s take on New Moon…much better!

32. please dear god no. i will make a petition to keep this from happening. he will RUIN the movie.

33. I felt Stephenie’s ending for Breaking Dawn was already a twist ending! M. Night Shyamalan is the only director who could really do it justice and make an emotional thriller with a PG-13 rating. If there is a choice and he can only do one of the two BDs (should it come to that), I would prefer that he do the final installment of BD.

34. whHave you seen t he’s done with Last Airbender? People say he won’t change a popular series like Twilight. Have you seen whatt he’s done with Last Airbender?
    He took a hugely popluar series, with an intense fanbase, and basically said, “Screw you. I’m making this movie the way I want.”
    Avatar:the Last Airbender is set in the Asian culture (Chinese). He decided to make the entire cast (including the child star who is suppose to be a monk -bald head, orange robes) white. Oh, but, it’s ok, because the bad guys are technically Asian. He cast actors from India and Iran in those roles.
    These casting choices not only angered the fans, but the Asian actors guilds and the community- who threatened to boycott. He took a powerful cartoon, and the opportunity to highlight Asian actors, and igored it.
    He ignored the fans. He ignored the pleadings from the Asian community. He did what he wanted, with a pre-existing character and storyline.
    HE CHANGED A SERIES that was his childs favorite.
    Now, please tell me that he’d do BD justice?
    Besides… have you seen The Village, Lady in the Water, Happenings? The mans ego thinks that he can do whatever he wants, because the fans will come just to see his work. The issue isn’t it’s weird. It’s the script (which he takes control of) and the directing.
    He’s already removed the soul from the Last Airbender. I don’t want someone like that touching anything Twilight related.

• Sorry about the poor editing in the opening paragraph. I didn’t catch that.

• Wow…I didn’t know any of that…

I’m not a big Airbender fan, but if all of that is true, I shudder to think what would happen if he applied the same principles to the Twilight Saga.

Look what David Slade and his makeup dept. have done with our beautiful vampires in Eclipse!! Esme is now a brunette, Alice has lost her cute spiky hairdo (It just hangs straight now), and Jasper looks like a long-haired hippy vampire!!!

35. YES YES YES! I love this guy!

36. This is not going to go well. M. Night Shyamalan’s movies are terrible.

37. Cowacupacoco says:

I would be the happest person in the world if Sofia Coppola did Breaking Dawn.

38. He’d be ten times better then Sophia Coppola… she is a good director… but her style is way too dry.

39. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

He’s so ridiculous and cheesy and he’ll probably stick himself in there as one of the wolves or something.

40. I loved Lady in the Water and he does do weird really well. Just the other day I was thinking he might be be one of the few who could actually do BD and keep it close to the book with a PG-13 rating. It makes it even better if he has a love for the series : )

41. daisyduck says:

I like some of his films but The Happening was so awful that it has put me off for life. The fact thta he was happy to allow such apalling acting is what would worry me. Also the fact that he liked Catherine Hardwicke’s film is a problem. I love it because it’s Twilight but it was seriously flawed. I want Breaking Dawn to be much much better than that.
    I alos think it needs to be someone who will be comfortable and knoweldgeable about SFX and he doesn’t really have a track record of that.
    Hmmmm

42. Missy B says:

I like some of his stuff, but please, PLEASE keep him away from this movie! I know he directed “The Last Airbender” with Jackson in it but he’s better off sticking with his own material.