Holy Box Office Smash! New Moon Beats Dark Knight?

Official Summit Number now in!

“Summit has announced that The Twilight Saga: New Moon has officially set a new all-time midnight box office record, taking in $26.27M from 3514 theaters.”

According to Larry at ProNetworks (someone who regularly watches these things):

“UPDATE 12:00 NOON:

Unofficial reports say The Twilight Saga: New Moon has shattered The Dark Knight’s $18.4M midnight debut for a 3-day weekend. Sources put the total at $23-24M. This would also surpass Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, whose 5-day weekend began with $22.2M on a Tuesday night. Summit has not yet released official numbers.”

EDITED: HitFix also chiming in:

“No one expected “The Twilight Saga: New Moon” to disappoint at the box office, but even Summit Entertainment has to be surprised by the massive opening the sequel garnered from midnight shows across the country.  Distributors are still submitting their grosses but sources tell HitFix “New Moon” has set a new record and may have made as much as $25 million from its midnight launch.

To compare, previous record holder “The Dark Knight” made $18.4 million in over 3,000 theaters, but some of those screens were of the IMAX variety which charge higher ticket prices thereby inflating the overall gross.  Not jumping on the IMAX bandwagon (so far), only makes “New Moon’s” gross even more remarkable.”

The Hollywood Reporter on Overseas Sales:

“Summit reported Thursday afternoon that at midnight showings on 466 screens in Australia, the movie took in AUS$1.7 million ($1.6 million). It sailed past the previous Australian midnight record set by “Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith,” which took in AUS$1.26 million ($1.2 million) in 2005….” Click here to see European sales totals.

LA Times:

“The vampires have beat the boy wizard.

According to four people close to the movie, “The Twilight Saga: New Moon” sold more than $22.2 million worth of tickets in midnight shows last night, beating a record set this summer by “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.”

Two people close to the pictures said the exact gross, which is still being calculated by Summit Entertainment, could be as high as $26 million.”

Comments

1. Go Twilight fans!

• Yisel_Cullen says:

OMG! IT’S EVEN BETTER…JUST IN JUST IN!!!!

UPDATE 2:00 PM

• It was GREAT, the critics are just jealous that the twilight saga has such a huge fan base… good job guys!

2. YAY!!!!!!! thats amazing! im not surprised! GOOOOOOO TWILIGHT FANS!! :)

3. Yay Twilight fans !!! Critics can kiss my butt !!!

4. Devon061381 says:

YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Suck it….Critics!!!!

6. Wow that will really make the haters angry. hahaha.
    Well I’m off to go see NM again.

7. Awesome!!! :D

8. Michelle Dunford says:

WAY TO GO TWILIGHT FANS< YOU"RE ALL SOOO AWESOME!!!

9. I saw it last night, and LOVED every second of it!!! Can not wait to see the rest of the Saga!!! Thanks SUMMIT!! Oh yea!! TEAM EDWARD!!!

• No. TEAM TWILIGHT! (:

• I just saw it last night too and also loved EVERY minute of it! Can’t wait to also see the rest of the saga! Thanks to Stephenie Meyer for writing such a wonderful saga of book! TEAM EDWARD ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!

10. BEST MOVIE EVER!!! GO TWILIGHT FANS!!! TEAM EDWARD ALL THE WAY

11. Doesn’t surprise me a bit… so many people underestimate this series.

Chris Weitz did an amazing job! I was so happy with it. Can we start an online petition for him to do Breaking Dawn? Seriously…

12. well i absolutely LOVE all things twilight (mainly RPATZ haha) but better than harry potter?! is that even possible?

13. AMAZING but not altogether surprising!

Critics be damned…what do they know??

GO TWILIGHTERS!!!

Btw, I’m still waiting to watch it…MULTIPLE TIMES!!!

14. Datz Awsome!!!!!!! G8!!!! :) <3 <3 <3

15. Heck YEAH!!!! NEW MOON WAS AWESOME!!!! I’m so glad it broke records… The movie followed the book perfect. And it left me wanting so much MORE. AND…. all the love doesn’t come from Tweens I’m a married mom of three and all my friends are married with kids as well and
    WE LOVED IT!!!!

• Girl I am 27, and I fell in love with the books and the first movie. I read all 4 books in like three weeks. I couldn’t put them down. It really reached out and grabbed me emotionally. It was as if I was right there in the story with them. I can’t wait for the release on dvd.

• Me too, me too, me too! I am 43 and my (then) 13-yr old girl sucked me in. I read the entire series twice in about 6 weeks!!

• I can top that, I’m 62, a grandma, have read series 13 times and still reading. New moon, AMAZING, will be seeing it again really, really soon, and often.

• I’m a 39 year old married woman with 2 kids. I am totally addicted to this series. I read the books last winter in 2 weeks. I’ve already seen new moon twice in 2 days. LOL…

• I’m 28 and love the Twilight Saga! I read Twilight in a day, then New Moon the following day, then Eclipse the next day and started Breaking Dawn the following day (BD took me a day and a half)! Go Twilight!! Stephenie Meyer is brilliant! Going to see New Moon again in an hour! Tee Hee! Can’t wait!

• Belle Leah says:

I’m 28 too. Awesome. I saw New Moon at midnight of course right after that special showing of twilight. I’m glad I did that so I didnt have to wait in line and I had the best seat in the movie theater. I love it. I also saw it on friday, saturday, and sunday…4 times and counting. I cant help it :) I read the books in 7 days. It took so long cause I was planning my sister’s wedding. I work as a flight attendant and I had a bunch of short trips/flights that week so no time to read…lol…but I fit it in while in the aisle serving food, driving (lmao), eating, showering, even zipping up my sister’s wedding dress on, and so on. I was a mess. My husband wanted to divorce me…I said fine and that My Jacob will take care of me. Instead, he decided to call the nut house on me :D In the book, I’d be either Leah or Jessica. I’m like their characters. I consider myself Team Switzerland cause i love so many characters equally and differently, I even love Laurent cause I’m a bit con Bella and he was leaning towards the good vampires and he promised to kill her painlessly fast unlike everyone else even Jasper was gonna make it painful.

16. alright!!! GO TWIFANS!!! i loved loved loved the movie!! i love chris weitz!! gonna see it again tomorrow!! team edward!! (:

17. NewMoon01Fan says:

just got back from new moon! wouldn’t be surprised if it beat every movie world record out there!!!

Best movie by far. I thought I liked twilight ;) GO NEW MOON!!!!

*team EDWARD!* *team JACOBS BODY!*

18. Yisel_Cullen says:

YES!!! Twilighters let’s get out in full force during the weekend as well! I saw it last night and I’m going tonight too! We must guarantee Breaking Down (2 parts for BD will be perfect) and let’s shut up those critics big mouth!

May the Twilight gods bless u all :-)

19. lindey brooks says:

Ha well it should cause its amazing! i have seen it twice today and i am planning to take my niece this weekend then i have to go Wednesday with my friend to see it yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    so excited best film of the year!!!!
    also best film since twilight came out.
    cant wait for the next film!!!!!
    please hurry up with the next one :)

20. i am sooo not surprised!!! argg wen will they release the numbers!!! lol

21. WHERE TO GO!!
    We even HAD to buy VIP seats!! as all normal seats are fully booked!

22. Loved the movie , cant wait to see it again !! I’m a Big Team Edward fan … But, I love me some <3 PAUL <3

23. YAY! Twilight fans go down in history, that why were are the best fans out there!

24. That’s how to show the critics Twihards!! :)
    LOOOOOOOOOVED the movie!!!!

25. Im not surprised! Are we surprised! I dont care what they say: That males are the key to the numbers? What? There are more females in the population! Go Twilighters! Lets make them (the critics and haters) eat crow!!!

26. Yay!! Saw it last night at midnight and going again tonight. It was BRILLIANT!! Chris Weitz is daggone GENIUS!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DIRECT BREAKING DAWN!!! This movie made me more emotional than the book did – I didn’t think that was possible! When I wasn’t bawling my eyes out, I was smiling at the sheer beauty of it all. The sparkle was perfect! Taylor, Kristen and Rob were phenomenal, as were the humans. Go Team Twilight!!

27. jackson fan says:

your welcome!

28. GOing twice tonight: once at 7pm. Now we’re going to the MIDNIGHT show on one of those BIG screen dealeos. Saw it last night. Go New Moon. You ROCK!!

29. Oh yeah…Team Switzerland!!!

30. We waited in line for over 2 hours! we got to the theater at around 10: 45 and the line was all the way to the back of the theater(outside!). We ended up at cinema 10! it was sooo worth the wait!!!!!

TEAM EDWARD!

plese don’t make me choose. It will always be him. It has always been him. awwww

31. miswallace says:

YAY New Moon – I’m pretty sure everyone in our town was at the midnight show and watching Twilight at 9 central time before the lines started filling up. We had 12 packed theaters!

The critics suck – New Moon was great!

Twifans unite.

• I loved it, I also saw Twilight at 9 P.M. then New Moon to follow. It was great, we got priority seating because we saw Twilight first. It was awsome.

TEAM EDWARD ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!

32. jaspergirl19 says:

I havn’t seen it yet, but I ave heard that it was AMAZING!! The only things that have stopped me from going, is, no more tickets and I don’t want a bunch of girls screaming verytime a guy takes his shirt off… I hope that doesn’t happen… Did that happen to you guys?

• omg yes…my friend that was with me was like “SHUT UP!” cuz the girls in front of us were like “OMG JACOB IS SOOOO HOOOOT!” through the entire movie

• Yes!! Every single time. I watched it on wednesday loved it. But we had these girls behind us talking through the whole thing. Loved when they asked. Who’s Charlie? jejeje Did enjoy the end they screamed Nooooo!! I Laughed. I just hope to go again but with less people in the theater.

• That didnt really happen at my theatre, only once (Jacob of course) and even then they werent very loud. I think the people who werent moved to tears were just in too much awe to speak! lol

• we were lucky the only noise was some cheering before the movie officially started and some gasping when Jacob took his shirt off the first time followed by massive laughter from the reaction…but we lost no dialogue or atmosphere due to it all

• I think my biggest issue with the poor marks from critics is their assumption that every twifan is a drooling idiot only interested in eye candy…which is not why I love the movies and books.

33. new moon is meant 2 brok records….lol

34. BellaNicole says:

I saw it last night..it was freaking unbelievable. Everything was just soo perfect. I plan on seeing it again next week.

35. As if there was any doubt it would blow any other movie out of the water.. pshhh

Either way – way to Twi-hards <3
    Amanda

36. Total Freakin Awesome! Way to go Twilight fans!

37. Im not surprised NEW MOON IS AWESOME!!!!

38. I know that at the theater I went to go see it at was over booked and they ended up opening another theater room for the midnight showing which ended up being 5 rooms in all. It was totally AWESOME I loved it.

39. THIS IS AMAZING!
    I cannot to see it!!
    I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!

Imagine how the sales will be for the next segments..THEY WILL BE GINORMOUS!!!

40. That movie was truly amazing!! I want to see it again soo badly!! I doubt my boyfriend will go again though, lol…aww I need a movie friend who’s willing to see New Moon atleast 20 times! Team Edward and Team Jacob <3 I love them both! =)

41. Lily Cullen says:

AWESOME!!!!!

42. New Moon was great. Props to Chris Wietz, This movie showed how developed the story and characters have become and Chris did a great job in keeping to the story. Everyone bloomed and really showed their talents!
    Love New Moon!!!

43. Freak4Sparkle says:

Whoop hoop! Not at all surprised!

44. In your face, critics *face punch*! I think it’s pretty obvious that Twilight fans could care less about what old, grumpy men think about the movie. :P

I’m watching New Moon again today, this time with my mom. Drool time again, in just an hour. :) Yay!

45. we waited in line for 5 hours….soo worth the wait i cant wait to see it again!! the critics dont know what they are talkin about!!

46. Yeah!!!! Twilight fans are the best!!!! The movie was awesome. I’m still in awe!!!

47. I think it’s also very impressive when you consider the economy as well!

48. holaaaa me encanta su pelicula me facina y los libros son lo mejor me encanta edward cullen dios i como actua son lo mejor saludos davioly de venezuela-marcaibo

49. I enjoyed New Moon. The humor was most excellent & it was visually beautiful. I loved Kristen in this one and Taylor & Rob did very well. Definitly a movie for us fans.

50. I sat in the line for several hours last night for my wife and her friend. Yes I have read the series, even before my wife. Yes I was wearing a Forks WA thermal, and YES I was happy with the movie.

As a side note keep it up Twilight Fans we have a chance to shatter some opening box office records we already did $26 million only $129 million more to pass Dark Knight we can do that this weekend YES WE CAN!!!

Misfit.

• the movie was visually great and brilliant. lets show the critics and haters what were made of and lets smash the dark knight record. can we do it?
      YES WE CAN!