Hit Fix, Rotten Tomatoes, Etc Interview Chris Weitz

Hit Fix, Rotten Tomatoes, and several other mainstream entertainment websites had a fantastic interview with New Moon director Chris Weitz. They did an awesome job, asking some in depth questions.

Kudos to Greg from Hit Fix for bullet pointing out the key areas.  Just some of the areas the interview covers:

*Even Weitz was surprised with how quickly Phil Tippet’s company turned around the Jacob wolf shot at the end of the first teaser trailer.  The shot has gone through numerous iterations and is much more photorealistic than that version.

*He’ll be submitting a director’s cut of the film to Summit within the next two weeks.

*Alexandre Desplat is currently working on the movie’s score.  It may include hints at Carter Burwell’s original “Twilight” theme, but will sound different.

*Thom Yorke and Kings of Leon are interested in contributing to the film’s soundtrack.

*A couple of new scenes from the film will be shown during the “New Moon” Comic-Con panel on Friday, July 25. NOTE THIS IS HIT FIX’S ERROR, panel on Thursday!

*The movie within a movie, “Facepunch,” will only be heard — not seen.

*Shooting in Italy with all of the fans that trekked across Europe to see the production was like Beatlemania.

*His vision of the Volturi is very much like the book and unlike a number of fan inspirations that have hit the web.  He also sees them as having gone slightly insane after living for 2,000 years.

*He’s met with David Slade and expects the filmmaker’s vision for “Eclipse” to be different than what he’s doing with “New Moon,” but with the same actors and visual effects team.

*He’s flattered that fans want him to direct “Breaking Dawn” without seeing “New Moon,” but thinks the fans will want Slade to do it by the time “Eclipse comes out.

*Weitz needs to turn the film in by Oct. 30 to strike prints or if not, they are in “big trouble” to make the release date.

Read the whole Chris Weitz interview on Hit Fix or if you prefer, read it all on Rotten Tomatoes

Comments

1. Dimitris says:

Very nice interview. Thank you for sharing :)

2. i thought the wolf in the trailer was pretty awesome, so i’m even more excited to see it now.

3. melissa says:

I think you have the wrong date for comic-con. July 25th is a Saturday. Should be 24th?

Thanks for all the great info. This is the only site I visit for movie updates and Twi-news in general.

4. Thanks for the transcription ;)

I still fear a little Slade’s version of Eclipse, regarding what he already told, but we’ll !

Can’t wait to know more about the score and the soundtrack.

5. TwilightFreak says:

That was a fantastic interview. I really have faith in Chris and i think he has all of our backs on this. I have this gut feeling that this film is going to be more than any one imagined…..idk why. I cant wait to see the Voulturi too!

And i can breathe now, because he did leave the proposal scene in there! Thank Youuuuuu!!! I was so worried about that.

Cheers to Chris Weitz!! :D

6. TwilightFreak says:

Oh and Alexandre Desplat is great!!!

7. i can’t wait to see new footage of the movie :] i’m getting excited just thinking about it!

8. Thom Yorke on the soundtrack ?!!!!!!
    that will be really cool, but what would make it ten times better would be to have the killers on it !

9. Well of course the Volturi scenes were his favourite, those are the best parts of the book, including square Bella running to save Edward scene and the talk after Italy of course!

10. BloodSuckingLeech says:

Finally! Some really meaty New Moon news!! Thanks Lex! Kings of Leon on the soundtrack!Yay!

11. Lookin forward to seeing the wolf less cartoon, I was a little worried there. The interview was awesome, looking forward to new trailers. I can’t wait (just like the rest of the world). Go Chris!

12. Crystal says:

Wow! I think Chris is going to do a good job! I have faith in him too, and I can’t wait to see New Moon. Some parts of the interview were pretty funny! :) He’s so much more different than Catherine. I think it was Peter who said he was calm, and I think New Moon definitely needs that calmness. I’m really excited! XD

13. cheering4twi says:

I must say that having been a big Catherine Hardwicke fan, I have been so very impressed with Chris Weitz, and trust New Moon completely in his hands. I think this movie is going to be awesome on all acounts. Thank you Chris for respecting the book and the fans so much.

Hate to say it, but I am still not feeling so positive about David Slade. Eclipse is such a great and pivotal part of the series…so many great bits, especially for Edward and Bella fans…I am just not sure…and I hope he treats the cast as well as Chris Weitz seemed to as well…

14. yea i’m still worried about David Slade too. i just hope he gets it right with Eclipse

15. That’s nice to hear that wasn’t the final wolf transformation !
    I HAVE FAITH IN THIS GUY AND IF NEW MOON TURNS OUT GREAT I REALLY HOPE HE DOES Breaking Dawn !!!

16. Great interview! Not only did he clear up the proposal scene rumor (YAY!), but a possibility of Kings of Leon on the soundtrack?! That’d be SUPER awesome! I was listening to their album the other day, and I was thinking “Man, these guys would be amazing for the New Moon soundtrack.” Hope it happnes, because that would make me SQUEEE like there’s no tomorrow! *Crosses fingers for good luck like I did in the third grade* :)

17. It’s amazing how Chris has convinced the fanbase, including me, that he’s the perfect choice for directing New Moon. I just completely trust him. I became a Twilight fan only a month before the movie came out, so I don’t know how well Catherine Hardwicke was received by the fans. Did everyone trust her too, or is this what’s happening with Chris completely different?

18. jessica says:

Sweet! Kings of Leon is AWESOME!! And I’m also happy that they’re re-editing the wolf. It looked great before but I bet it will look even better in the new version. :-)

I agree with everyone else, I totally trust Chris with this movie, more so than with Catherine… way more so.

19. Jennifer says:

I hate wishing time away, but man I’ll be so glad when Nov. 20 is here!! And just think…this time next year, we’ll already have seen Eclipse and we’ll be living on information for Breaking Dawn.