Mike Welch Owes Taylor Lautner & Kristen Stewart

According to Mike Welch, he owes it entirely to Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner that he has added screen time in New Moon.

“Kristen [Stewart] and Taylor [Lautner] had to lobby to get this one scene in the film that wasn’t originally in — and I am forever indebted to them for that,” revealed Mike Welch, citing a beloved moment from Stephenie Meyer’s “New Moon” novel. “There’s a scene that’s in the book, the three-way date between Jacob and Bella and Mike, where Mike ends up getting sick, and it’s just very awkward.”

Get all the details on MTV.

Comments

1. Yay! Thank you Kristen and Taylor!! That scene is muy importante!

2. I fully agree that this is a critical scene. And, think it’s awesome that the cast cares enough about keeping to the true story line! KUDOS 2 Kristen & Taylor!

3. arazcal says:

I can’t for the life of me comprehend why Kristen and Taylor had to fight for this scene to be included in New Moon! It’s one of my favorites in the book. Stephanie wrote it so funny!
    “Oh c’mon!The blood squirted 20 feet out of that guy.How fake can you get?”
    I love how there is absolutely nothing subtle about Jake’s intentions(or Mike’s)towards Bella.The rivalry jumps off the page,”What a marshmallow.You should hold out for someone with a stronger stomach.Someone who laughs at the gore that makes weaker men vomit.” I can’t help but smile everytime I re-read it,almost the whole scene is filled with classic Jake(isms).
    Thank you Kristen and Taylor for “getting it”. I’m so glad you know what makes Bella and Jake tick ;)

4. They were gonna cut that? What else have they cut. (((Very scared now!)))

5. michelle says:

I dont know if i would call it “critical,” but it was a lot of fun to read. And it also helped to establish the connection between Bella and Jacob. There were some other scenes that im more concerned about. For one, it is rumored that Bella will be seeing apparitions of Edward when she is being reckless rather than just hearing him. I think its a ploy to get Rob more facetime in the movie. Its also said that Edward will actually step into the sun in the square at the end of the movie. I dont know how thats gonna work out since, in the book, one of the reasons the Volturi dont kill Edward is because he doesnt expose himself! But what do *you* think?!

• arazcal says:

I think that based on everything I’ve read about Chris Weitz making New Moon the movie is going to be absolutely breathtaking and heartbreaking. I’m choosing to trust Stephanie and the entire casts’ opinions that Chris is bringing New Moon to life,while at the same time,remaining true to the book. I’m thinking positive all the way ’til November ;)

• sillygirl says:

Maybe I should re-read New moon again, but I thought Edward did step into to sun…just barely, but that is why Bella had to push him back. Why would he think he was dead if he hadn’t stepped into the sun?

• kehacakes says:

That was the way I read it too. He steps out for just a second, but not long enough for anyone to notice. And so what if it is a tiny bit different. I laugh at some of the comments here, I mean it seems people are getting all up in arms anytime they think something is going to be a tiny bit different, any reason to be sad or freak out and be negative. I am just so grateful that they are making another movie. I think everythig is just wonderful so far.

• I read some time ago Ashley said they were also filming some of Alice’s visions. So one of her visions was Edward stepping into the sun in the square under the clock tower. That maybe when we see him step in the sun.

• michelle says:

well that would make sense…

• Cindy E. says:

***MOVIE SPOILER ALERT****

I agree about the Volturri stuff you just mentioned. Juding by the placement of the black dots on Rob’s body when they filmed that scene, it would appear those dots are for the CGI effects of him sparkling, and he is not supposed to sparkle, or else the Volturri would have killed him, as you said. Perhaps he sparkles for just a moment, all eyes are the other way because of whatever is happening during the festival, and Bella manages to jump on him in time so no one see the sparkle?

6. Ishiguro Twitter says:

woot protesting wins xD go Kristen and Taylor :D, they are the best woooot. cant wait to see it.

7. Vote for Twilight, go down some.

Harry Potter is beating us. :-(

8. Cindy E. says:

For real! I can’t believe they were thinking of NOT having that pivotal scene in the movie!!

9. they seriously weren’t going to have that in movie?!?!? that scene is really important…….it’s the last night when Jake and Bella have it “normal”….the last night before Jacob discovers he’s a wolf. THANK YOU KRISTEN AND TAYLOR!!

10. Kristen & Taylor are now officially the saviors of new moon haha! :D

11. Caroline says:

thank you Kstew and Taylor!! i absolutely looove that part of the book.

12. Julie M. says:

This is why I love Kristen and Taylor. They understand the story and know what needs to be in the movie. This is a great part of the story and am glade it’s in. It does make me wonder why it wasn’t going to be in the movie in the first place. What else have they chose not to include. I still think the movie is going to be awesome!!

13. Twilighter14 says:

omg!!! thanks so much tay & kstew!!! i cant believe they weren’t gonna hav that awesome scene!!! i c everybody is talking about how funny it is but lets not forget thats when JAKE gets “sick” too!!! and its a lot about jake and how much he loves bella.

• Good point! didn’t mean to take away from the serious aspect by mentioning the humor.(i always take the “break up” to heart…too painful;(
      I think that’s why I focus on the humor..

14. Bella Jane says:

Thanks to Kristen and Taylor for lobbying for this scene. And to Weitz for agreeing to film it. No thanks to you, Miss Rosenberg, for another (almost) failure on your part. Sometimes I wonder if this woman is competent at all. At least we have actors and directors who know what we want to see, even if the screenwriter has absolutely no clue.

15. What’s even scarier about the Reveal Scene/Reuniting Scene is that they kiss instantly. That’s not how it goes in the book, lol. (I know, that’s like a broken record line). She has to convince him that she’s even real first. Gah, oh well.

• Laura G. says:

I thought about that too, but if you think more about it…what would your reaction be when you got back the love of your life…err existence, after you thought you lost her forever? I know I would kiss first ask questions later :))

Of course it ruins the whole scene when she wakes up in her room after they come back from Italy and she thinks he’s there only because he’s feeling guilty, not because he loves her…oh well…i guess we just have to wait and see how it’s actually going to be in the movie…

16. SO glad that this scene is in!!! It’s one of my favorites!

17. higgin704 says:

Thank God they got it in. I can’t believe they would consider even leaving it out, but I have the so called early script and it is indeed out in that one.

18. mrsmkeyman says:

idk why but that is one of the only scenes i prob wouldve cried if it wasnt in the movie. and dnt they lk HAVE to put it in the movie? cuz thats where jake tells bella he lks her ryt? and where he starts turning wolfboy? im sooo glad its in the movie!

19. Yeah, not a necessary scene at all but nevertheless a great one! =D

20. twilight is legandary says:

he sparkling for one second not enough time for the human eye to react so then bella steps in and kisses him and pushes him back into the shade of the clock tower

21. I was glad to see that this scene would be in the movie. I thought it was going to be one of the scenes they’d cut out. Now I know why it’s still in there and I think it was a smart move. It’ll give the movie more personality. Plus, I like the movie version of Mike.

22. papermoon says:

this concerns me. it makes me wonder what other character-building scenes were deemed unneccessary, and it was something that worried me about this particular director judging him by his previous works.it may not have been an action packed, peril filled scene, but it was important to show the building dynamic between bella and jake. not to mention the end of that part…
    *sighs*
    i think i’ll just lower my expectations for this film. that way, even if its only watchable, i’ll like it more.

just don’t screw up eclipse. >_< that’s all i really ask.

• papermoon says:

though i guess i should add i am actually far more worried about David Slade’s treatment of the books than i was about Chris Weitz’s…

i’ll shut up now and just wait for the film to come out… ^_^;

• michelle says:

***spoiler***
      i totally agree about eclipse. ive read threw the series now 3 times and eclipse is my favorite. the fight, the rivalry between edward and jacob, edward and bella getting engaged, bella sneaking off to see jacob, the tribal meeting, the “campout”… there is soooo much that happens in this movie and so many great lines from the book i would love to see on screen! i’m more excited about eclipse than new moon…but still totally stoked about new moon. cant wait to see a whole lotta taylor!!!!

23. I’m so glad they did that… the movie would just not be the same without that scene.

24. kellan fan says:

thank god they put it in!

25. I don’t know about the rest of you, but the face that they were thinking about NOT having it, makes me nervous. I mean that’s like a huge part of the story and kinda what kicks off the whole ‘Bella finding out Jacobs a wolf’ thing. I mean what else will they be leaving out?

26. misscarla says:

OMG PEOPLE JUST CHILL OK? THEY CANT DO EVERYTHING SECOND BY SECOND FROM THE BOOK. ITS BOOK TO MOVIE AND TIERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT. GET OVER IT. THEY CANT DO EVERYTHING THE SAME VISUALLY FROM THE BOOKS DISCRIPTIONS TO A FILM FORMAT. THEY NATURALLY HAVE TO TELL THE STORY IN A DIFFERENT WAY. I UNDERSTAND THAT. ITS GOING TO BE AMAZING EITHER WAY. NO NEED TO GET ALL UP IN ARMS AND START WW3 LOL WE ALL HAVE OPINION’S AND ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT THE TWILIGHT SAGA AND HAVE OUR OWN IDEAS ABOUT HOW WE THINK IT SHOULD BE AND WE ARENT ALL GOING TO BE HAPPY ABOUT EVERYTHING ALL OF THE TIME. JUST RELAX AND ENJOY IT!! LET IT BE WHAT IT IS. ITS GOING TO BE FINE LETS NOT BE SO NIT PICKY AND JUST HAVE FUN WITH IT!!

27. Rachel M&M /RachelStar13 says:

Way 2 Box Kristen & Taylor this scene so needed 2 B N the movie. I loved it N the book & look forward 2 cN Mike again. I loved all the characters Vamps good & Bad, Humans & wolfs they became a part of my family N the readN world, & 2 loose that is like losing a piece of 1s self! Do we really need all R fingers (yes), can we spare an ear-I think not, thanks again 4 the punch U guys it’s nice 2 know your fightN 4 the fans! ;-)

28. so im still trying to figure out how they were not going to put that scene in. Its an important scene. They are starting to worry me.

29. that scene made the movie!!!

30. that scene is super important…when mike gets sick and jacob says:what a marshmallow etc….omg what is going ON????/I REALLY LOVE THAT SCENE.jacob is so funny…