Catherine Hardwicke To Receive Award

According to the Hollywood reporter Catherine Hardwicke is among good company including Jennifer Aniston, Holly Hunter, and Elizabeth Banks. All of these women are to receive recognition from Women in Film (WIF).

“Women in Film is thrilled to honor these extraordinarily versatile women who truly represent the new paradigm of Hollywood,” WIF/LA president Jane Fleming said. “Each of them has succeeded wildly by having the courage to work in all areas of the entertainment industry, transitioning between film and television, comedy and drama, studio and independent projects, both in front of and behind the camera.”

Get the whole story here.

Comments

1. She doesn’t deserve it. Shes a crappy director.

2. creamy says:

Sigh.

3. Luthien says:

I’m happy for her. If it weren’t for her film I never would have read any of the books, no matter what shortcomings the film might have had. I am grateful for the doorway she opened for me to the world of Twilight.

4. Good for her!! Altho she’s not the greatest…she did amazingly well with what she had to work with. It was not a flop!! She not only worked hard at it but also hired the little known Rob Pattinson for a part that has rocketed him to stardom. He was able to show “sides” of himself that are far different than Little Ashes & the other small film parts. It’s opened doors for many other great actors to become a ‘family’ that is giving all of us great entertainment.

• I’m sorry, but what do you mean by “she did amazingly well with what she had to work with.” A small budget? There have been many great films that have had a small budget, even smaller than Twilight’s. Juno and Slumdog Millionaire are just two of those examples. So that’s not an excuse. Was it the screenplay? Well she’s the one that approved it. So that’s not an excuse. Twilight was no better than a MTV made-for-TV flick. The only reason that Twilight wasn’t a flop WAS because of the huge fan base. There is NO way, if that was an original screenplay, the movie would have been a success. And Robert’s role in Little Ashes isn’t small. Playing Dali is far superior, for his acting, than playing Edward.

• Rachel A. says:

Well said! I feel like CH is getting all this praise for doing nothing to deserve it. If Twilight had been in better, more experienced hands it would have been awesome (I still can’t get over how bad the movie was compared to how great the books are).

5. Twiligher14 says:

she’s not that great and to be perfectly honest she kinda creeps me out but good for her!

6. Julie M. says:

Congrats Catherine!!

7. Twifanatic Amanda says:

Women in Film? Cool! Maybe I can talk about her in my Women in Film class next year lol

8. I loved Twilight. No it wasn’t as good as the book but I can’t think of one movie adaptation that is as good as the book. I have tons of family and friends who saw Twilight first then wanted to read the books. I say Bravo to Catherine for her spirit, enthusiasm, and for bringing life to one of the books I love. With time, and money constraints I think she did a great job.

9. Thparkle says:

I’m for happy for Catherine. IMHO she’s a pretty good director. By the way, Melisa, the other small budget films you are referring to are didn’t have vampire stunts and all that. I liked her take on Twilight. Sure, it wasn’t perfect but it was good. I wish her much future success.