Rumor Control: Stephenie Meyer Being Sued

OK, we are going to go out on a limb on this one even though it’s Sunday and getting an official comment is practically impossible.

On April 10th the oh so scholarly and reliable Max-Dan-Wiz site runs a story supposedly obtained from the AP claiming Stephenie Meyer stole the idea for Twilight from her former college roommate, said roommate is suing her, A BYU professor is backing the roommate, and production has halted on New Moon.

OK let’s take this out step by step:

• Article appeared on April 10: filming has gone on since that date most notably Friday when Vancity Allie got pictures of the cast in Bella’s Birthday party attire.
  • The article claims an AP wire as their source. We can find no such record of this on the AP.
  • The article claims Dr. Peter Benton now head of the BYU English Department is backing the claim. There is no Dr. Peter Benton at BYU (but he was a character on ER or a few seasons).
  • Stephenie’s supposed former roommate must be living under the biggest rock ever if in Salt Lake City of all places she is only just now hearing that her former roommate’s success is based on a vampire novel.
  • Vampire short story in the BYU curriculum…yeah…I’m sure the BYU undergrads wrote lots of vampire tales 15 years ago right along with all those stories involving lots of swearing, drinking, and pre-marital sex.

So who fell for this nonsense?

The Insider who thought for whatever reason it was a good idea to let fans upload stories and have it appear as if it were an official The Insider story. The site is reporting the story as fact, and is also running the story with the fan made poster WITH A TURKEY in the corner as if it were real. On a quick glance other news outlets who don’t read the fine print to realize this is a fan uploaded story are linking to this story.

Others who fell for this include:

ONTD
Backseat Cuddler
Fanpop
…the list goes on. Run the words “Dr. Peter Benton and BYU” and “Heidi Stanton and BYU” though a Google search and you get tons more links.

EDITED: Official comment from Summit Entertainment regarding the portion of the story as it specifically refers to filming is as follows: “This rumor is certainly NOT true. Please let your readers know.”

EDITED: Official comment from Stephenie Meyer’s publisher regarding the portion of the story that refers to the lawsuit:

“This story is false.”

*Note the story on the Max-Dan-Wiz site has now been removed.

Comments

1. Sugary Giggles says:

I think the rumors are the funniest part of all of this. Sure they’re ridiculous, but it’s just so amusing to see the things people are willing to swallow and make up to get attention.

• I know. some people just can’t get over the fact that they didnt succeed like others. that auther trying to “sue” stephenie meyer is just jealous that her books didnt make it. And she is just doing this to get attention and her 15 minutes of fame.

• omg that comment is really funny yet true. i cant believe that woman trying to sue her. yet again im soo going to agree with kaylee at this point.

• I have to agree with you here… the author just wants to have her 15 minutes of fame… the authors books don’t even relate to twilight… sure the books may have some same names as those in the twilight books but still the books have to relate to each other,at least 10 things in common with each other… this case could go far but with all the fans it has nothing…

2. To Stephenie Meyer: You know you’ve made it when someone claims to be suing you over your best-selling work!

3. Lawl. Um WHAT!? xD Using an ER character? Sound like Dean and Sam anyone?

4. i totally agree with you sugary giggles the rumors are the funniest part especially when people believe them like the insider and fanpop and an er character sounds like someone’s makin this up so they can get money anybody agree with me here?

5. Ugg…my least favorite part about these ridiculous rumors are when my not-so-Twilight buddies come up to me and say, “did you hear about….” and I’m like “yeah, it was a rumor” and they say “Really? Are you sure?”.

Does this happen to anyone else?

• haha yeah that happens to me
      they dont believe me until i show them proof that the rumours are NOT TRUE lol

• Keri Lynn says:

Same here. When the pictures of “Rob” in the red undies and on all fours came out my friend refused to believe they were fakes.

• Oh my. That happens all the time. They come in and say, “Oh my gosh! Did you hear that Robert Pattinson is getting replaced?!” I’m like, “Uh, yeah, but its a total lie and a rumor.” Usually those kinds of people just deny whatever I say. Don’t they know that all this crap is nonsense? I told them that I’ll believe it when the Lexicon reports it, because their stuff is rarely ever false.

• i no my brother and my non twilight friend held a freaking court session about it and claimed Stephanie guilty

• Brandi H. says:

Yeah My friends girlfriend was going ha ha! At my just because I like twilight and she doesn’t. I tole if she did it again, I would slap her and she stopped. But My friends still beileves shes getting sued. (My guy friend not his girlfriend.)

6. I just think it’s stupid and totally shallow when people will say nearly anything to get a piece of the Twilight fame.

7. Annabella says:

That is most shocking. I love how, even with the gaping holes in the lie–so many supposedly-reliable sites chose to believe it.

Whoever invented this is obviously just looking for a bit of attention in the Twilight Universe. Yeah, them and every other fan. :P

8. Even more than a spot of the NYT Best Seller list, when you are reported to be in a lawsuit over someone claiming you stole your storyline, you know you are a big deal.

For all Twilight fans whose daily lives are touched by and/or immersed into something Twilight related, we have come to feel this existence is a part of our being. We gladly share our imagination with this group of characters.

There are a great many people who are just now waking up to the world-wide attraction Stephenie and her characters have. I am still amazed at people who are on the outside of this existence. As the power of this world-created-by-Stephenie has become more mainstream, it is not surprising there are those who will try to steal even a crumb for themselves.

All I have to say is: Twilighters, kick their rear-ends to the curb.

9. Julie M. says:

What I don’t understand about rumors like this and those that are on the front pages of tabloid magazines, is how can it be legal to just make something up about someone? The law must come into play at some point to protect people from these vicious rumors.

I just got back from the grocery store and on one of the tabloid covers it said something about Kristen and Nikki fighting over Rob. I mean, come on! We all now that’s not true, but how can they just make that up? I have come to learn that whenever it says, “a source told us” it most likely isn’t true. Sorry for the rammbling!

• For anything to happen, the target of the lie, in this case Stephenie, would have to take the publication to court and fight for the truth.

We know she would win, but it would be very time consuming and expensive to fight these low-lifes. Unless she does this, nothing will happen, and the lies will continue. As long as their publication sells, this type of thing is working for them.

Sadly, people in the public eye expect this. This is one more way someone can latch onto Twilight or anything or anyone out there and make money with mud-slinging. The dirt takes on a life of its own.

10. Dr. Peter Benton was the doctor on ER. He is not on faculty at BYU. That cracks me up! Even more so that people took it and ran with it. I guess the original writers of the story are getting a good laugh now!

11. Idiots. I hate people who talk BS.

12. Well thank god. I was getting a bit nervous there.

13. Twilight Nymph says:

Okay seriously just by reading it you can notice it’s a fake. I mean seriously you hear about the movie for months and the books for that matter and all of a sudden “she stole the story from me!”. Get a grip people and stop trying to take credit for something someone did so beautifully well. As for the insider, shame on them, especially for being part of ET who is covering new moon.

Seriously all the rumors are giving me is a good laugh. What’s next Rob stole the role of Edward Cullen from some idiot out there? I don’t know, people just don’t know what to come up with these days.

14. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they are right in this, but the attitude of those on “Stephanie’s Side” is so… superior. Its getting a little annoying, frankly; everytime there is a disagreement the all-powerful insiders seem to just laugh mockingly at whoever is boosting the rumor.

Justified or not, a graceful win every once in a while would be nice…

• Why would we not laugh at such BS? Could you please illustrate an example of the graceful win you are referring too?

• FilDeCuivre says:

Glad I’m not the only one annoyed by the people on “Stephenie’s side”! I mean, I love Twilight and everything, but some people just sound a little – like you already said – superior. Like they’re taking it way too seriously and sometimes things they say sound too biased even to be said by a fan.

• I know, right? There’s a fine line between a fanbase and a cult…sadly, a lot of these “Stephenie’s Side” people seem to be crossing that line…

Calm down, guys. It’s just a rumor. Trust me, Meyer isn’t exactly special in this regard. Anytime something becomes popular, you’re going to hear rumors about people threatening to sue over it. I don’t know how many rumors I heard about people saying J.K. Rowling stole the idea for Harry Potter when it got big. Same goes for anything else popular. So no need to get your panties in a twist.

• Twilight_News says:

No we don’t think her unique, just reporting the other side of the story with our obvious bias.

BTW, posting under multiple names doesn’t strengthened your point. Whether you post as Miley or Leigh.

• Leigh is my roommate…she was using my computer

• …… ahhh, the limelight …. so and so is dating so and so, RP is smelly … (poor man, wouldn’t blame him IF he didn’t have a shower for a few weeks just to get some peace and quiet), SM….GASP …plagarized ….yada yada yada. I guess they’ve made the big-time :-)

15. haha, wow.

16. Twifanatic Amanda says:

haha to everyone who believed it XD

17. Oh lord who comes up with these things hahaha

• were do people come up with things like this they r so stupied meyer did not steal her ideas this lawsuit is so boges

18. I swear…the things that people are coming up with.

Now I can see why the older-heads (and I say that as a term of endearment) are getting a little ticked at the younger heads: the Twilight Nation is growing because more and more people are reading–younger people are reading it more, in my opinion. When young people get excited, the media are on the sidelines, waiting for something–ANYTHING–to happen. It doesn’t even have to be the slightest bit relevant to what is going on–it could be about one of the cast’s ex-girlfriend’s uncle, and they think that we would jump on it just because it mentions Twilight.

I mean, sure; I’m a young-head; I do a little double-take when there’s a Twilight cast member on the cover of the magazine. But really, what they have to say is CRAP, unless it’s an interview–and might I add, a WELL DONE interview.

So, the media is jumpy over the littlest things. They bend and misinterpret and destroy any teeny bit of information, just to get some attention. It is annoying, immature, and just plain WRONG. And to think people actually BELIEVE it?

I won’t be surprised if people start to believe Twilight is about the druggie Bella who is stuck in a love triangle with the gorgeous, party person Edward and the gorgeous sweet Rosalie. -rolls eyes-

19. pisses me off that someone would even try to STEAL AND LIE FROM the Twilight queen :( THEY BETTER STEP BACK OR ELSE !!

20. Yeah, because your commentary about other websites is just as scholarly and reliable. If you want people to take your news seriously, you might want to present it in a more professional manner, rather than pointing fingers.

You may have debunked a rumour (that anyone with any sort of reading comprehension skills dismissed immediately), but you certainly didn’t look superior in the process, despite the sanctimonious commentary.

• I agree. The Lexicon isn’t exactly the most “scholarly” site out there, either.

• Twilight_News says:

Well we never claimed to be scholarly or an unbiased source. Are we looking down our noses at something ridiculous and gving an opinion as a biased site? Yep.

Look at it this way. When covering a certain type of news story you need to link to the originating credible source.

Now if it were just the matter of “Hey look Rob was spotted here.”or “Stephenie visits the set” then an entertainment blog is a credible originating source. However if we are talking legal matters that cite the AP and supposedly quote an interview with a former BYU professor, you should be doing your homework and going back to the alleged origination which in this case was the AP.

Look at it this way to draw a parallel in recent legal cases in the Harry Potter world. In the recent JK Rowling (et. al.) vs. RDR Books, various fansites from Mugglenet to Leaky Cauldron provided an excellent synthesis of the news, but they certainly weren’t cited as the news source on a legal issue. The AP, New York Times, etc. credible, scholarly papers on legal matters were cited.

What we are saying (granted with a full measure of sarcasm) is that when you fact check you have to evaluate your source and then backtrack to the originating source, which in this case plenty of publications didn’t do.

This was beyond a Ted Casablanca or Lainy Gossip speculation of saying “We saw Rob and Nikki together on the following dates and locations. They looked really into each other, wonder if they are sleeping together. Unnamed sources close to the production say yes.” This particular story was complete making up of fact with zero based on the truth, including citing a false AP report and a non-existent BYU professor.

21. Excellent job as always! I love The Lex!

22. Lono Udehnt says:

Oh no. There is no god.

23. How can someone believe such a stupid rumor? These rumors are really getting on my nerves.Stephenie Meyer could never have possibly stolen someone else’s idea.

Thanks a ton to the Lexicon for keeping everything in order!

• The Wolk says:

If you read a lot of the vampire romance books that came out in the 90′s you’ll see a lot of them bear a striking resemblance to Twilight. Or rather Twilight bears a striking resemblance to them. I’ll admit that there are a lot of cliches that Twilight uses, but these likenesses go a bit beyond those.

24. lmao! thanks for the information :D this is like the best April fool laugh I have had in ages, why didn’t it come out on the 1st. Funny since they finish production tonight! and move on to Italy so I do hope these rumours are well and trully quashed because there is a lot riding on this.

25. B Cullen24 says:

That’s silly lol These rumours are getting lamer and more far-fetched

26. Go Lexicon! You guys are amazing and have been there for fans while waiting for the release of the books, events and movie(s) all revolving around Twilight. I check the Lexi like five times a day =)
    I do miss thw funny commentary podcasts on the books =’(

27. Rachel M. says:

Who comes up with these?
    It’s hard not to laugh at these absurd rumors.

And I totally agree with that fourth bullet point up there. You would absolutely have to be living under a rock and not ever leave to not know Stephenie’s success. You absolutely cannot go anywhere without seeing something Twilight related, whether it be girls wearing shirts, the books, posters, etc. Then it’s all over the internet, and the television shows having features on “The best-selling teen romance by Stephenie Meyer between a vampire and a human.” Ok. I’m done with my rant. :)

28. Zookie Monster says:

This is when magazine and popular gossip places have nothing better to come up with to pull attention. Absolutely ridiculous :P

29. I don’t think I could rely on Max-Dan-Wiz 4 twilight news cuz 1 of the users said there’s an article that taylor lautner died while oing a stunt… Yea right

30. hola

Muchas veces me comentaron que la pelicula era muy buena pero nunca asome la posibildad de que podria ser fascinante tratandose de vampiritos y cosas de esas, debo reconocer que me ha llevado a un nirvana inigualable en una semana lei los 4 libros de una sola vez y vi la pelicula 3 veces he pensado en viajar a una de las ciudades donde filmen locaciones de la palicula solo para sentir el aire que alli se desarrolla.

Muy agradecida con stephenie meyer por crear algo tan magico a los actores por hacerlo un poco tangible.

31. You can’t copyright an idea. The person would have to have written a detailed storyline at the very least and stephenie would have to have included a significant portion of unique ideas eg if no other published work has described vampires as sparkling in the sun, this would be a unique idea. But vampires, red eyes, shape shifters etc have all been done in published works before. People are always so secretive about their written work yet are happy to tell anyone who will listen their brilliant story idea. It should be the other way around. Keep your ideas a secret and share ur writing. Once it is written and you have rough drafts to prove it is yours, it’s protected. No one can pass your words off as their own but they can use your ideas and do it in their own words.

• You know what monique that is excellent advice but come on, how many vampire stories are floating around lately.
      Moonlight
      Bloodties
      Buffy
      Interview with a Vampire
      Dracula
      and now Twilight how can you prove someone stole your ideas when Stephanie had so much to choose and chose sparkling golden eyed hunks and beauts lol

32. You can’t copyright an idea. The person would have to have written a detailed storyline at the very least and stephenie would have to have included a significant portion of unique ideas eg if this woman had written a chapter that has described vampires as sparkling in the sun and no other published work has described them in that way, this would be a unique idea. If this woman had writing with more unique ideas like this and stephenie used them in a significant portion of her work then there would be a case. But vampires, red eyes, shape shifters etc have all been done in published works before. People are always so secretive about their written work yet are happy to tell anyone who will listen their brilliant story idea. It should be the other way around. Keep your ideas a secret because anyone is free to use them. Once it is written and you have rough drafts to prove it is yours, it’s protected. No one can pass your words off as their own but they can use your ideas and do it in their own words.

• I don’t know about the legalities of this but I did notice some striking similarities between Twilight and another book, Dead until Dark. I wonder which came first and if anyone else noticed? Hmm. Anyone else want to write a vampire book?

33. You can’t copyright a story idea. The person would have to have written a detailed storyline at the very least and stephenie would have to have included a significant portion of unique ideas eg if this woman had written a chapter that has described vampires as sparkling in the sun and no other published work has described them in that way, this would be a unique idea. If this woman had writing with more unique ideas like this and stephenie used them in a significant portion of her work then there would be a case. But vampires, red eyes, shape shifters etc have all been done in published works before. People are always so secretive about their written work yet are happy to tell anyone who will listen their brilliant story idea. It should be the other way around. Keep your ideas a secret because anyone is free to use them. Once it is written and you have rough drafts to prove it is yours, it’s protected. No one can pass your words off as their own but they can use your ideas and do it in their own words.

34. rachaelwsz says:

I knew it. I think that this is the source of the crap:

Twilight haters. No wonder.

35. If it’s untrue, why is Imdb reporting on this?

36. Danny Chipman says:

When last I checked, ideas couldn’t be copyrighted. Obviously this is all a load of crap to begin with, but even if it were true, Ms. Former Roommate or whoever she was still wouldn’t have much of a case.

37. these rumors are crazyy !
    stephanie meyer was the one thatt basically created the modern twistt on vampires, werewolves, ect.
    there is no way someone else would come up with thatt !

thanks for clearing everything up guys ! (=

• i love twilight, but she did not come up with the modern twist on vamps. read the vampire diaries by L. J. Smith. she wrote her series in 1990, and hers is a modern twist on vamps too. also, anne rice with interview with the vampire…i still love twilight (it is my fav book of all time), but steph isnt the first to have a twist on vamps. :)

38. As soon as Peter Benton was brought up, I knew this was false. I am in the English program at BYU. There sure as heck is no Peter Benton!

39. fancypants): says:

This is stupid and needs to STOP sure stephenie meyers roommate had a vampire story maybe sum semi but it could be the same as stephenie meyers cause if that roommate of hers had that idea surly to goodness she would have wrote the books herself but she didnt and i am positive that stephenie didnt steal the idea she is much to nice to her fans and everyone else this is just a LIE!!!!!!!!!

40. haha this is funny. people don’t know what to make up anymore. just like they were saying that rob smelled on the set of new moon when he wasnt even on the set yet, gimme a break!

41. this is such a stupid rumor.whoever started it did some very sloppy work.this book (&saga)are the best thing i have ever read in my entire life.stephenie meyer puts a huge twist on the whole vampire legends &ive never read or seen ANYTHING like it.&how long has the book been out now?i think her “former roommate” would have found out about i a LONG time ago,living under a rock or not.this entire series is such a phenomenon,i wont believe anyone who says that they havent at least HEARD of it or know what its about.but right now,im saying this is a stupid rumor.until i see some proof on her stealing this story,i stand behind stephenie meyer 100%.(p.s twilight is the BEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED ON EARTH(edward!<3))

42. oh &plus,she got the idea from a dream she had.(my resources say..):P

• Well… i wouldnt put it past her to have stolenthe idea from someon else… (mormons can be soooo sneaky… my ex-boyfriend should know, he was one). Anyway, i dont think she stole it from someone else i do believe she got it from one of her dreams (delusions). Either way if she stole it or got it from he rsuppresed wish, she should have re-read the book because she cant write to save her life. I do compliment her on her character concept but it was poorly executed.

Thanks… oh and stephanie if you read this i agree with Stephen King.

• i agree with you; but i’m sure the whole twilight saga was not that other bitches idea.. maybe she did take some of the stuff from that girl but oh fucking well…the twilight movies are getting alot of success not because of that girls “short stories that she wrote in college” but from Stephenie Myer. twilight has been out for awhile and now this girl is coming out and saying she plagiarized her.. its all bullshit really. i love twilight and all the books and its all on stephenie myer, she did a great job, that girl just needs to go back to being nobody because shes obviously jealous of stephenie.

43. maria espinoza says:

uh i want to get attention from people like stephanie. but it still suck for her

44. OnceBitten says:

Woooowwwww….yea, I’m so sure. Stephanie Meyer actually DID get the inspiration from her roommate….Oh, and did I mention I’m also the Queen of England? And, oh! Look at that, I believe a pig just flew by my window. Funny how that happens sometimes…

• you know that she stole the idea when she said she had LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN WRITING. a miracle cant just pop out like that when she suddenly becomes rich. you also know she copied her “friend” cuz her “friend” only gave her the very basic plot. thats also why she explained how hot edward was every 2 sentences.

45. this isnt true at all?

46. the_apathy says:

Stephenie Meyer stole the lastnames “Cullen” and “Swan” from a Stephen King series called “The Stand” (1994) starring Rob Lowe… The character who’s mentally challenged who accompanies him during his trip has the lastname Cullen, and then one of the women they meet on their way (another main character), her lastname is “Swan”.

Though I do like Stephenie Meyer’s books, I think it’s unprofessional the fact that she can’t even think of original names/lastnames for her characters… I mean, come on, it can’t be a coincidence, since the series is related to fantasy/horror.

47. my friend was telling me bout this and i started yelling that’s not true… she got that idea from a dream AND who would start a roumer like that OMG!!!!!

• Shes a FRAUD says:

Someone who can spell rumor correctly and can tell a fraud when they see one.

• i so totally dont believe some of u guys because stephine is so aweswomeand i dont think she stoll the idea from anyone so yeah just stop staying stuff when u dont know the truth.

48. … she stole that crap from someone else?

• Bella Cullen says:

she din’t steal the story from someone..She had a dream about it

• The Wolk says:

Oh please, she can say that until she’s blue in the face but it’s not true. Honestly, it’s a pathetic excuse. Meyer’s “inspirations” are very clear in the series. Go read the Sookie Stackhouse series, the vampire Diaries, Vampire Kisses, and most of the other 90′s vampire books. The likenesses are as clear as day. Not small likenesses either. I’m surprised no body has called her out on these.

She may have had a dream but she clearly drew her inspiration from other books.

• Shes a FRAUD says:

Omg i entirely agree the Twilight Saga is so much alike the Sookie Stackhouse books i mean make the characters younger move them north and change there names and you basicly have the same books….Her friend who feed her “vampire fascination” feed her a whole bunch of books she read…Next time someone decides to compile a bunch of really interesting, good books lets pick a more well spoken author please….she puts vampires to shame!

49. The-Girl-With-CLAWS says:

JAJAJA, of course it’s a rumor!
    only someone as retarded as Smeyer could come up with crap like that! XD
    I mean, vampires SPARKLING!
    And that stupid Mary-sue of a main character, Bella!
    UGH!

50. Becky Todd says:

Well doesn’t surprise me that she is apparantly being sued, as the Twilight series (no matter how much I love them) are basically a compilation of other books/films!!! And for all we know they might not just be rumours they could be true!

1. [...] bien, Twilight Lexicon ya ha advertido que todo era resultado de una broma del dia de los inocentes que en EEUU es en [...]

2. [...] like widefire online. Twilight Lexicon confirmed this story to be false with Summit Entertainment. Click here for the details Posted in Rumors Tags: New Moon, Production, Stephenie Meyer, Sued No Responses This entry was [...]

3. [...] seems that the unsubstantiated story that Stephenie Meyer is being sued and filming on New Moon has halted continues to spread like [...]

4. [...] ci ha pensato il Lexicon a pubblicare una smentita sia da parte della Summit riguardo lo stop delle riprese a causa di [...]

5. [...] seems that the unsubstantiated story that Stephenie Meyer is being sued and filming on New Moon has halted continues to spread like [...]

6. [...] was the second story regarding plagiarism in 2009. The first story about Stephenie plagiarizing a college roommate’s story was an Internet hoax completely without [...]

7. [...] was the second story regarding plagiarism in 2009. The first story about Stephenie plagiarizing a college roommate’s story was an Internet hoax [...]

8. [...] of New Moon, Summit Entertainment has taken it upon themselves to deny these rumors in an official statement, simply stating, “These rumors are certainly NOT [...]