April Fools Around the Twilight Fandom

So we weren’t the only site to have some April Fools fun.Β  Kaleb Nation (the source of our spoof) went Dr. Suess. Twilighters Anonymous were taken over by Google. Twilight Series Theories broke the news about Rob starring in Footloose.

Various entertainment sites also had some April Fools fun:

Ropes of Silicon announced that Rob would retire from acting.

Reelz Channel had Rob replacing Toby Maguire in the next Spiderman.

IF Magazine had all footage of New Moon accidentally being destroyed prompting a recasting.

Cinefantastique had Stephenie taking over the Narnia franchise as a script doctor.

Other sites, how do we put this, attempted fun and in our opinion went too far.

4TNZ Sent out the below press release to about 20 Twilight sites (and no we didn’t fall for it, but others did.) Now in the end harmless enough, but sending out a press release saying it’s not an April Fool’s prank, NOT COOL!

Amongst all the fake news on this April Fools Day, we’ve got a real scoop! Midnight Sun is happening!
Here’s the link: http://www.4tnz.com/content/stephenie-meyer-finally-release-midnight-sun
If you want, excerpt and link it!

Now for the truly tasteless and very unfunny (and several other things but we’d be violating our PG-13 rule if we said them) you’d have to go to 2SnapsTV

They reported that Stephenie had committed suicide. They go on to do an entire write up including the names of her minor children who she supposedly left behind which was then picked up by various news outlets.

No doubt in response to some of this Stephenie Meyer updated her own site tonight stating:

“Also, despite some really tasteful Fool’s Day pranks on-line, I want to assure you that I am in excellent health, thank you very much. Also, I have no current plans to write any scripts, sequels, or collaborations, nor have I been to any conventions this year.

Have a great week, everybody, and I hope to see many of you this weekend at the Book Babe event!

Thanks,

Steph”

Comments

1. ILoveEC says:

That’s horrible that they would go as far as saying SM committed suicide… That’s really tacky.

2. GenevieveCullen says:

Wow, there’s always some moron that takes it too far.

Glad Stephenie is okay πŸ™‚

3. I was wondering why Stephenie posted what she did on her site. What if her family hadn’t talked to her in a couple of days and saw the prank about her committing suicide? How awful!

I would’ve known the Midnight Sun article was a joke once I read the Full Moon title for Jacob’s perspective of New Moon. Please! So mean, though. So mean….

4. Hmm I was just on Steph’s site and I see nothing that says anything of the such maybe I am looking @ a different site or something but she has not updated her site today

5. i got one this morning when i woke up it said that rob quit new moon i was lk WHAT!? i thought they signed for 3 movies! i lk started crying till i reliesed it was aprils fools…

6. Your mom says:

Juveniles….>.> PLEASE. Twilight fans are so gullible. I’m ashamed to be one especially since people can’t take jokes well.

7. Crunkactress says:

the way this post is worded was confusing bc i read to fast and saw the midnight sun link, and started calling my friends…i ruined everyones day with a huge high then disappointment. im so gullible and apparently cant read lol

8. Okay, IF Magazine & Reelz Channel are funny.

2SnapsTV need to grow a fraking brain. That is just completely inappropriate.

Hope everyone had a fun April Fool’s Day. Don’t know about all of you, but I’m ready for April 2nd.

9. GROSS @ 2SnapsTV! that is in serious poor taste. I did enjoy all the fun little pranks and the one that probably got me the best was the Dark High Noon one. when i read it I got my hopes really high but then realized that I should wait till tomorrow for any real news. that one was also in poor taste, getting us excited and then just taking it away.
    love the lex πŸ™‚

10. Would I be a bad person if I say that I laughed when I was reading them? It was obvious that they were LIES. πŸ˜‰

I really liked the LexiKalebcon. I knew automatically that it was a joke–not that I don’t like Kaleb, or anything–but it was funny to read. XD Funny!

11. YAYAYAYAYAY!!! MIDNIGHT SUN IS HAPPENING!!!! OMGEEEEE!

12. @ Mailen…
    no its not……………another prank….

13. Poor girl…Mailen, honey, you need to READ CAREFULLY. πŸ™‚

14. IsabellaCullen says:

I’m truly appalled at what some feel is a funny April Fool’s joke.

I’m sorry that SM had to be subjected to such a tasteless & vulgar trick.

15. Haha! Mailen wasn’t the only one that didn’t read carefuly…my gf called me with the news super excited about it and I to got a lil too happy til I read it for my self…”Las Bromas.California” sure…sure! Like JB would say :)glad I’m bilingual and know las bromas mean”the jokes” …

16. i almost believed it but then April fools day.

thats really mean i wanted to read midnight sun

not cool

thats a really mean joke and not funny

who ever thought that was funny must have been coco bananas

but then again HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY

17. Twiholic says:

That’s disgusting what those two websites did.

18. I’ll admit that I was upset that the article about Midnight Sun was false. Me and my brother and two of my friends got really excited. lol. But to go as far as to say that Stephenie Meyer had committed suicide.. That’s not even funny.

19. Frankly, I thought the KalebLexicon crap was just stupid. Yay. A boy capitalizing on Twilight. Woot woot.

and I thought that was just as much of garbage as Stephenie Meyer committing suicide. Seriously just as much of a crappy prank.

20. NuttyNetty says:

to Sitsu: Twilight Lexicon made a harmless good humor joke. Making a joke about somebody commiting suicide is NOT crappy it is MEAN and rude. there is honestly no comparison between the two pranks.

21. Sitsu, the point isn’t really whether it was a “crappy prank” or not. The Lexicon staff does something like that every year, instead of reporting false stories that might upset people.

And while I think fake news stories are a bad idea to begin with, I have no problem with silliness like reporting that Rob was in Footloose. But faking a story about someone’s suicide, so that her loved ones (and her fans) might see it before they realize it’s fake? NOT cool. And completely different from what the Lex was doing. I really don’t see how you can compare the two, except for the fact that they were both supposed to be April Fool’s jokes.

Anyway, it’s probably best if we just move on from the more tastleless jokes of the day, at least as far as us fans go. Personally, I commend the Lex for coming up with an April Fool’s prank that did not involve a false news story, and was cute and clever to boot. πŸ˜‰

22. That wasn’t a very good April Fool’s Joke…it’s kind of sick actually. Pathetic too..but I’m sure it was all in good fun for the sick minded person? I would be mad if they had involved my children into the joke too…SM is a strong woman who takes this crap with grace.

23. Alu Rathbone says:

To go as far as saying that she committed suicide is extremely childish! And the Book That shall not be named…. that was such bull. Especially since she would post something like that on her site!

Thank the stars that Stephenie is alive and well.

24. Alu Rathbone says:

I liked the Volturi Take over… that one was better I think… although… this one was okay.

25. Haha that was wonderful πŸ™‚

The only prank that was played on me was by Facebook! On one of my updates, it said that my flair board was reported criminal or offensive. I got really freaked out! But then I clicked on it, it had a little pop-up that said “April fool’s!” Hehe πŸ˜‰

I never heard any of those stories…I guess I was gone all day. I really thought I had checked for news. Hmm.

26. I meant the “tasteful” jokes were wonderful…:)

The other ones were stupid. Sorry. Stephenie dying? On April Fool’s Day? Who would believe that? I’m sorry…that was ridiculous.

27. meloncoke says:

ohhh… harrypotterfanfiction.com did a twilight april fool’s joke. They rerouted their site to a fake twilight fan site called “twilightsauce”. Can’t tell you how annoying it was! I mean, I love twilight but it had a bunch of ridiculous fake info on it and i was so sad that i couldn’t log on to my account :'( good and creative and time consuming joke, but more annoying than funny. are there any harry potter fans that noticed?

28. Victoria Alise says:

this was like really weird, i never noticed how many stupidities come up with jokes on april fools day.

about the whole rob quitting new moon thingy, that’s kinda funny in a way.
    i would have probably laughed at those who cried over it if it wasn’t for me having cried as well .

>.<

aha. rob is kinda weird though .
    if you listen to his commentary on the dvd of the movie “Twilight”
    it is easy to see he thinks wayyyyyyy too little of himself.
    he constantly makes fun of his eyebrows, always saying (and i quote) ‘never trust the man with the sculpted eyebrows with a baseball jersey & a bouffant. ‘
    (in my opinion, i would EASILY trust someone like that if they looked like him. )

but still. rob needs to see himself, he is gawjuss.
    okay case closed. wow i get really off topic. eh. what can i say ?i like to digress.
    πŸ™‚

oh and about the whole stephenie meyer suicide thinq, that is absolutely the most tasteful joke ever. really hilarious.
    -_-
    (absolutely being sarcastic.)

case closed.

29. I am really bummed. This sucks. I believed for two days. Darn.

30. hey guys,I thought Midnight Sun is finished?TL said that it was a REAL scoop.

31. Oh okay.I READ it one more time,it’s a prank.UGHHHH

1. […] DEAD. This was an April Fools Prank that went a bit overboard from a press website I shall not link but you can read about in other places. This story was then reportedly picked up by CNN. Whichever news outlet picked it up needs to fire […]