Stephenie Signing at Mall of America Draws Huge Crowd

Kylara, one of the Lexicon’s oldest members, was at the Mall of America The Host signing last night. This is her report:

I arrived at the Mall of America at about 1:30PM. They had started selling books at 8AM, and I was told that a handful of people had arrived even earlier than that–as early as 5AM. This is what the line looked like when I first got there:

I bought my copies of The Host. At the start of the line there was a box for submitting questions for Stephenie, which a man walked through the line later on with in case anyone came up with questions as they read The Host.

I sat down to read while I waited for 6PM to come. A note for anyone else who goes so early to wait in line: if possible, bring chairs like the smart people in the photograph! Standing for 4.5 hours or sitting on the floor for that long is not fun!

A glimpse of the room that was slowly but surely filling up with people.

By 3:30PM, that empty half of the room was full of people, and we were asked to get up and squish together to make room for more people. We did so and then all sat back down to wait. Once or twice the Community Relations Manager at the Barnes & Noble at the Mall of America came out to talk to us:

About 15 minutes before Stephenie was due to arrive, he came back out to introduce her. She arrived, and much screaming followed. She told us that she had a presentation planned out, and was going to do a reading, but after finding out that we all would be standing for the entire evening decided against that. Instead, she answered probably 10 or so of the questions from the box.

I caught a few of the questions (and Stephenie’s answers!) on camera:
– What inspired The Host?
(video)
– What music was fitting for The Host?
– Why are there blank pages in The Host?
– Will there be sequels for The Host?
(video of the previous 3 questions)
– Do you ever take your kids on tour with you?
(video)
– What characters in The Host did you really enjoy writing?
(video)

Two of the questions were cut off, so here are paraphrased answers:

What inspired The Host?
This answer can be found in a number of articles and I wanted to save space for other questions! One place to find it is at the official The Host website, on the Q&A page.

Will there be sequels for The Host?
Stephenie said that she has outlines for one sequel, and plans for two to make it a trilogy, but doesn’t know if she’ll write them anytime soon. She mentioned that one reason in particular is that she’s grown fond of the characters, and in order for the sequels to be written, characters would need to die and she doesn’t want them to.

Another fun thing I’ll point out since it’s sort of hard to hear in the videos is the 3 songs that Stephenie mentioned are on her The Host playlist:
– Futurism by Muse
– Original of the Species by U2
– My Name is Love by Rob Dickinson

The rest of the playlist will be available on her website once she finishes this leg of the tour and e-mails it to her brother/webmaster.

After the Q&A came the actual book signing, which went very smooth.

I had my books signed by 7:30-8PM or so, and this is what the line looked like after I was finished:

This wasn’t even the entire line–it still stretched out down one of the hallways!

I came back for one last peek about quarter to 9 to see how many people were left, and that large central area was still about half full! It was a long night for the workers, fans, and Stephenie!

ETA: Here are few more videos of the Q&A from the book signing, thanks to Ali:
Did you know you wanted to be an author when you were a child?
How involved with the Twilight movie were you?
Write for Yourself

Thank you to Kylara for an awesome write-up!

Comments

1. 1st Comment!

Wow, that’s a long line!!!

2. It reminds me of Harry Potter, all of those people coming out to see Stephenie.

People comment on how the fans of Twilight and the fans of Harry Potter are similar, and I think it’s because they are the same fans in a lot of cases.

3. woah imagine breaking dawn!

4. Allie Cullen says:

Oh, yeah!!! I can’t wait to see what it would look like, let alone SOUND like at a Breaking Dawn signing!!! I wish she was coming to our Barnes and Noble… I would totally go!!!

5. Uauuuuu!!! I love itttt

6. dazzled says:

UGH! I’m soo jealous! I wanted to be there soooo bad! Thanks for the awesome report, it was like I was (almost) there!

7. dazzled says:

Does she have a tour planned out for Breaking Dawn yet???

8. Breaking Dawn Tour won’t come out until probably late June.

9. Wow! That looked like fun! I wish I could have gone!!!!

10. Cullenist says:

wow….i wish i could go… did anybody else notice how she said ‘in order to have a sequel i’ll have to kill some people…’ does that apply to the twilight series?? if edward or jacob die…..wow. that’d suck.

The comment applies in context  to The Host.
    Pel

11. Twilight4Ever says:

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I can’t Wait until she comes to Portland!!!!!

12. Meredith says:

hey, you guys need to warn us against spoilers before you post stuff like that! please be more careful!

I’m not sure what you mean on spoilers. The visible text had nothing spoilerish in it, and the links went to Stephenie answering questions on her book which would inherently seem to lead to spoilers since the event is billed as an author Q&A. I guess I’m missing the problem.

Pel

13. Jeff's My Edward says:

Thanks for the head’s up! I have tickets to see her when she comes to Salt Lake City, and I’m very excited! I’ll take your advice with the chairs–

14. OMG!!! That so friggin cool!!!!!!!! I wish I was there!!!!!!
    Imagine how packed it would be when Breaking Dawn comes out!!!!!!!
    But I wish I could see the videos!!!! The stupid school blocked youtube!!! grrr…

15. Natasha says:

Dang. That’s HUGE!

16. Um…yea WOW!

Also, let me tell you how much I laughed when she said

‘No one could ever mistake my husband for Edward’ poor Pancho…

lol

17. Edwards Girl says:

Wow, that is a lot of people! I wish I lived closer to there :s
    Thats is awesome that stephenie meyer is so humble and stuff to still talk to the fans and answer questions and stuff,,, she is so aweseome!!
    Can’t wait to recieve my copy tomorrow! ๐Ÿ™‚

18. iwantanedward says:

Aww! That looks great! Stephenie is always SO incredibly sweet ๐Ÿ˜€ Watching videos of her talking to/about fans makes me all warm and fuzzy inside ๐Ÿ˜›

19. christina says:

YAY!! friggen awesome I Loved the video when she talked about how involved she was with twilight. and the other video where she was like oh yeah i’ve been doing a lot of stuff with “vampires..”
    crowd: *SCREAMING WOOO!!”
    hahahhaha
    i would have definetley been screaming too.

and when she mentioned robert pattinson
    the crowd was like OMG YEAHH!! WOO

hahhahaha dang man that last picture of the crowd
    i bet is how full every movie line is going to be on
    the release night of the twilight movie! ๐Ÿ˜€

20. wowowow!!!!!! That looked incredibly awsome!
    Damn the fact I live in a completely different country! Lol.

I am glad you had a good time!

๐Ÿ™‚

21. I was there yesterday and it was incredible!!!! Stephenie was so nice and down to earth. I was glad she did talk a little about Twilight. I met a lot of nice people in line and the time went by faster than I thought it would.

I just have to mention one negative thing and it was 3 girls who stood in front of us to buy the book, were being so mean saying most of these people probably weren’t fans from the beginning like they were. Luckily they didn’t get in the autograph line right away so we weren’t buy them. WHO CARES when you became a fan…Stephenie loves all of her fans and she’s hoping she will get more people interested in her books when the movie comes out!!! sorry had to rant but it bugged me

22. malicious says:

wow that’s great!!!! so exciting! that line is big! i don’t do well in crowded places… =_= oh well i’ll try. can’t wait to see her friday!!

23. EdwardandBella4ever says:

I am SO glad I went when she was on tour for Eclipes! I had a cold and felt like crap that day, but I push through and I am so glad I did. I got all 3 books signed. I think that she is not going on tour anymore.

24. Twifanatic Amanda says:

Woah! That really rocks, sounds like alot of fun, thanks for the write up!

25. It’s times like this I wish I didn’t live in Portugal… ๐Ÿ™

26. Nikki: Yeah, that’s so annoying when people say that. I’ve been a fan from the beginning, but I don’t discriminate against people who haven’t. They love the books just as much as I do, and that’s all that matters!

Thanks so much for the videos and pictures! It’s amazing the atmospherere when you’re at a signing, you just can’t help but get excited!! Stephenie is so awesome, I just want to give her a hug for letting us into her world and writing about these magnificent characters, her books have changed my life forever and I am so grateful that she is so awesome!! She’s so down to earth, and she doesn’t have to be!

Stephenie Meyer, you’re my hero!

27. Wow amazing story!!!!
    Wish I was there!!! but I’m very very very far away!

28. OrangeBlossom says:

Actually, I have a correction to the report. We got to the Mall of America at 3:30am… we just needed to figure out where we were to hunker down for the wait! LOL! Those are some pretty crazy parking lots at that mall! And we drove 8 hours through the night to get there!

WINNIPEG ROCKS! LOL!

29. Kim: Thank You for the comment!!

I’m just so happy to have stumbled across the books and was able to meet Stephanie in person and told her thank you for coming out and meeting us. I just found Twilight in March and have been in Twilight overload since (it’s obsession now)…after reading Twilight I went WHAT there’s more…went and bought New Moon and Eclipse the next day…started searching the web and went WHAT A MOVIE!!!! AND ANOTHER BOOK!!!! THANK YOU STEPHENIE!!!!!! This has been the best year!!!!

30. The Host is an awesome book, I loved it! And now I just need Breaking Dawn… I’d die for an ARC! lol

31. ughhh if i could have gone, i’d be in the front row; i would have gotten there at 430 am! (not even kidding)

32. so there might be New Moon the movie!!! She said that so far she is happy with Twilight. so cross you fingers for the rights to New Moon!

33. whoa….. my friend said that poeple sleep outside those buildings to get the books and see Steph. Im so happy for Stephenie, her work is AWESOME and she deserves all the praise she’s getting =)

34. WOW!!! What an awesome experience! Thanks for sharing that story!

35. XD My friend and I are totally in that first picture! Were the last people in line. Maybe we we were sitting next to you if you got inline right after the pics were taken.

36. I was in the middle of that last row, in the first picture. A few more people got in line by the time I went to the bathroom and bought my books :3

37. I WAS THERE!!!!

38. this was absolutely amazing!!! standing in line for 3 and a half hours was so worth it!

i am in need of twilight friends in minnesota!! i dont have ANY!

so if you are a twilight fan and live in minnesota EMAIL ME!!!!

sftballfreak22@hotmail.com

Kelly

39. Sharon says:

I took a group of 23 SD Jr High and High school kids up. It was awesome. Stephenie is so down to earth. We did not realize how many people were there until we stood up to get our books signed. We looked to our left and saw a huge line. (I am guessing 500-1000 people) Thank goodness we got there early and were the 6th row from the front!

40. I am so crazy Jealous of all you people who got to go see Steph!! hey does anyone know if she’s coming to the Washinton D.C area? Or the east coast at all?

41. Hellish Red Devil says:

:whistles: That is intense. And intensity, in this case, is a very good thing. ๐Ÿ˜€

42. VampGirl says:

This only mocks me of how stupid I was last year. I had a chance to meet Steph with some of my friends who had allready read Twilight and I said no cuz I hadn’t read the book yet… Now I’m like the biggest Twilight fan out of all of them. I was sooooooooo stupid. Oh well, can’t change the past… Anywho, that’s awesome for the people who got to go…. Soooo lucky!!!!!

43. aw that SUX VampGirl…

44. VampGirl says:

Yeah I know that NOW Rosie.

45. yeah she better make a New Moon, Eclipse, AND Breaking Dawn movie!!!

46. hahaha even though i heard it like 3 times!

anyway i cant believe Jessica got a compliment saying she looked like Bella, VampGirl!

47. oh sorry i shouldnt say anyones real name on here!

48. anyway, everyone who went there is SO LUCKY! i mean they get to see here!

they should have the cast visit somewhere!

49. HOW WAS IT???other than nikki…

50. VampGirl u there??