Video: Twilight in Volterra

The filmmakers that brought us Twilight in Forks have just released a new video called Twilight in Volterra.  Here is the full information:

With the release of the Breaking Dawn Part 2 movie and DVD, fans of Stephenie Meyer’s beloved Twilight Saga have been left thirsting for more of her fantastic world of romance and fantasy. Now fans can rejoice with the release of Twilight in Volterra: set in the real town of Volterra, a sparkling gem nestled in the Tuscan hills of Italy, this documentary explores the locations Meyer so carefully describes in the Twilight books.  Twilight in Volterra (www.twilightinvolterra.com) is available worldwide.

Four-time Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Jason Brown takes you in stunning HD through this beautiful Italian town in Tuscany.  Fans can visit the spot where Edward nearly took his own life to save Bella, and drive in real time with Alice and Bella on their frantic dash through the Italian countryside to rescue him. See the beautiful and formidable Piazza dei Priori clock tower strike noon, the Palazzo Viti, which marks the seat of power for the mysterious vampire Volturi, and hear their historical secrets revealed by Volterra locals.

Viewers will gain new admiration for the accuracy with which Stephenie Meyer brought this town to life, even though she had never set foot in Volterra before penning New Moon.  From the hints at magic and mystery on every corner to the fascinating traditions of the residents, Volterra is revealed as the perfect setting for vampire lore.  It’s the glamorous world of Twilight like you’ve never seen it before – even in the Twilight movies, which were not shot in the real Volterra but two hours away in Montepulciano!

Produced by Jason Brown and York Baur, this family-friendly documentary is a must-have for Twilight fans of all ages.  If you enjoyed Twilight in Forks and Destination Forks, Twilight in Volterra is a must-have to complete your collection.  It is available on DVD at Amazon.com, for download on Apple’s iTunes and Amazon’s Instant Video services, and on-demand through the Comcast, Xfinity, Cox, and Time Warner, and Bright House cable television networks.  For more information, visit www.twilightinvolterra.com, and join the conversation on Facebook at www.facebook.com/twilightinvolterra.  Members of the press can download the Twilight in Volterra backgrounder and request interviews at www.twilightinvolterra.com/contact.html

Comments

1. I love that Stephenie used real places, so that fans can have the opportunties to visit, walk, and even touch the spots the books talk about, and the films brought to life. Someday I still hope to get to Forks and walk first beach.

• I was in Forks and La Push last week…go….most of the people are true Twilight fans and it was a joy to be there.

• I don’t mean to sound churlish, but since the filmmakers are clearly aware that New Moon was actually filmed in Montepulciano, what’s the point of this film? I believe that Stephenie actually invented Volterra and its locations for the book, and then afterwards was very surprised to discover that there was a real Tuscan town of that name that fitted her (very) general descriptions? In other words, while the real town of Volterra is evocative of New Moon in the sense of being a typical Tuscan hill town, the truer visual experience is better discovered in Montepulciano.:D

• Sophie Calder-Jones says:

This film is focusing on the location of the book, not the movie. Twilight wasn’t actually filmed in Forks either.

2. That is so cool!!! Love that!!! Now, I have to put this as a place to visit as well as Forks & La Push beach. Nice!!

3. Elizabeth (EverythingRemindsMeOfTwilight) says:

Cool! I’ll be buying it. :D

4. I don’t think I’ll ever make it to Europe. I have been to Forks, but my husband refused to go to La Push, grrrr.

5. Colin B says:

• You are right, it was filmed in Montepulciano which is the (correct me if I’m wrong) sister city to Volterra so it may look a little similar the only thing is I guess they wanted to film it in Volterra and not in Montepulciano.

• Twilight the movie wasn’t filmed in Forks. New Moon wasn’t filmed in Volterra. So they are doing videos of the real places. Stephenie did not invent Volterra, she did her research.

• Colin B says:

Pixie, you’re sort-of right. Elsewhere on this website is this link to a Q+A done some years ago with Stephenie. One of her responses is summarised thus:

“Volterra was originally a fake city as Stephenie didn’t want to be sued for making a real city founded and governed by vampires. However, she knew she wanted to name the place Volterra and thought that Tuscany would be a good place for it as it’s both remote and ancient. She looked at a map on the internet and found that there actually was a place called Volterra. Upon investigating further, she found that the clock tower in Volterra was exactly the same as the one she’s imagined.”

Still think the filmmakers would’ve been better making their documentary in Montepulciano for avoidance of any doubt though! I’m sure there’s lots of fans who go to the real Volterra because they think that’s where New Moon was actually filmed. But, in our world of Google Maps / Streetview etc it’s entirely possible to ‘visit’ places without ever going to them! Random example: if you Streetview the actual square in Montepulciano where New Moon was filmed (Piazza Grande), there is a place called the Caffeteria del Duomo that appears to offer a special €15 Twilight Menu:

6. Mela Cullen says:

“Fans can visit the spot where Edward nearly took his own life to save Bella”.

Are they talking about when he stepped into the sun so that the Volturi would kill him for exposing their secret? At that time he thought Bella was dead though.

Or, are they talking about something that I have missed?

• I’m thinking its the Volturi part as I don’t remember him saving her by trying to expose himself. Makes no sense.

7. The reason why they chose Montepulciano as their shooting location for NM,was that in early scouting trips they felt the streets of the actual Volterra were too narrow. Alice’s porche would have never made it through those streets if they filmed at the actual location from the novel. So they decided to go to a place that had wider leg room so to speak,in terms of filming the Bella rescuing Edward scenes.

8. DishclothRioter says:

I know that New Moon was actually filmed in Montepulciano, but it sounds like some of the people the interviewed were confused about this. A quote at 0:32 states, “We recognized quite a lot of them. We were, like, debating whether or not they were the actual roads in the film.”

9. Christina says:

Is this post on Volterra on the 3rd the last thing that TL has posted recently or is my browser not working?

• This is the last recent thing they posted as far as I know.

• Sad they aren’t updating much anymore. There are lots of on-going reviews and commentary out there to cover. Mugglenet updated today (and everyday).

And I’m sad that The Host kind of flopped. I think if Stephenie had kept writing, instead of producing, the film would have done better.

• Christina says:

As am I. I legitimately thought I had been banned from the site or my browser was going haywire because it seemed so odd to me that they had not updated since the 3rd. :( I understand it, though. What is there for them to cover, really, unless they want to delve into R&K’s personal lives or start covering K’s fashion choices, which I’m sure they don’t.
          I’m also really sad the Host flopped. I haven’t been able to see it yet due to my work schedule, have you seen it Joel? It has awful reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but the book was SO good, I don’t get how there wasn’t much crossover between Twilight and The Host.

• I also don’t understand why there has not been much news, Kstew had a birthday, she and Rob have been seen everywhere, the news is full of events where Kellen, and the others have been, and they covered all those events while the movies were going on. So, I disagree about having nothing to post. What I worry about is could there be something wrong, usually when the posts stop, something personal has happened to Lexicon. I am praying its nothing serious and I can start reading my Lexi again, its a daily stop, I stopped reading the hometown paper years ago! lol

10. smitten_by_twilight says:

Wow, we take Alice and Bella’s drive to Volterra in real time? Are there speed limits on those roads? They could make a thrill ride out of that!

11. Hiya! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing
    a blog post or vice-versa? My website covers a lot of the same topics as yours
    and I think we could greatly benefit from each
    other. If you might be interested feel free to
    shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Great blog by the way!