Yes Virginia, We Do Like Things Other Than Twilight

USA Today is just the latest in many outlets hyping this bizarre Twilight vs. Hunger Games rivalry. I suppose we should be used to it by now because before this there was a press hyped Harry Potter vs Twilight war. No doubt the Hunger Games folks will have to live with whatever the next big YA thing is being compared to them–perhaps City of Bones.

According to USA Today:

“Everyone wanted to put (Hunger Games) into the Twilight box,” says Tim Palen, Lionsgate’s chief marketing officer. “It’s easy to put it in that box because of three young main leads (in both movies). But they’re completely different stories with different appeals.”

And they draw different, though powerful, demographics. Twi-hards tend to run younger than Hunger-lings, analysts and studio executives say. According to exit surveys by Lionsgate, 56% of Hunger Games’ moviegoers were 25 and older, about the opposite of Twilight’s film fan base.

The thing that is so funny to us in all of this is that EVERY and we do mean EVERY Hunger Games site that we know of is run by people who are also connected to Twilight sites! There’s not a war, at least we are pretty sure that those site ops don’t get up every morning with an inner turmoil of what they have to support today. (Also totally off topic but “Hunger-lings”? I’ve never hear that term before.)

What I think the media still doesn’t realize is that Twilight fans loves lots of different things. They live under the delusion that Twilight fans are only at the Twilight day at Comic Con. Just last summer I met up with my fellow Twilight fans at the Game of Throne, Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Doctor Who, The River, YA Authors panels just to name a few, and on two of those days I was wearing Browncoats gear!

In the comments give a shout out to your other obsessions!

Comments

1. People are so oblivious. No, Twilight fans do not live on their own planet. I am a huge fan of Twilight AS WELL AS The Hunger Games, the Uglies Series, and other books from other genres. Just because we’re passionate about one thing doesn’t mean we can’t show that same devotion to other things as well.

• Amen.

• Agreed! I like LOTS of different things. Do I tend to like my books and movies to be of the Urban Fantasy, Dystopic Fantasy, Sci-fi themes? Sure, but I also like history and physics. I think it’s just a classic case of the media trying to stir competition because they think it automatically leads to passion. In other words…. “it makes good copy.”

2. Y’know I have this feeling that when a franchise gets shoved in a box with Twilight, it’s done with a heavy sigh. I really do wonder if some people were just hoping that come the end of Breaking Dawn pt 2, that we would all just disappear (poof). Well, get over yourselves people, some of us are fans of many a book, movie, series, and franchise.
    It’s true, Twilight did awaken something in me that was long since dormant, I don’t know what it, is but I like it. So really, good luck to getting me back under that rock. I simply won’t go. :)

3. Firefly, Bab 5, NCIS, In Plain Sight, Star Trek, Star Wars, Anne McCafferey esp Pern and Crystal Singer series, Andre Norton esp Solar Queen and Witch World series, Katherine Kurtz esp Deyrni and Adept series, Isaac Azimov, Arthur C Clarke, Alan Dean Foster, Orson Scott Card, Agatha Christie. That is what comes off the top of head early in the morning. Silly people putting us into a two dimensional square when we have so many variety of interests.

4. Vampbball says:

Just sending you an air kiss for being a Firefly fan. ;)

5. smitten_by_twilight says:

Hunger-lings sounds ominously like underlings.
    Obsessions: LotR, THG, HP, Pirates of the Carribean, Bones, Once Upon a Time, and I may be developing a thing with yoga.

6. Elizabeth (EverythingRemindsMeOfTwilight) says:

I don’t understand the need to try to make The Hunger Games be in direct competition with Twilight. It’s not even like comparing oranges and apples…more like comparing nightlock berries with freesia. ;) It seems like people want to make drama where there is none. They want to lump Twilight with the Hunger Games simply because they’re YA fiction and have a central female character. It’s very superficial lumping.

I have to admit that I also don’t feel the need to justify my “obsessing” over Twilight by showing that I obsess over other things. And in truth, I don’t. I have other interests, but Twilight is the first (and only) thing I ever found that resonates with me so much. I like and have read Harry Potter and the Hunger Games multiple times, but Twilight is the only thing that I will spend my precious free time at the computer and movie theater for over and over and over and over again. I’m not interested in Game of Thrones or Vampire Diaries or a lot of the other current pop culture stuff that’s out right now. With that being said, right now I am re-reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. So, if I’m not reading Twilight, I’m reading Austen, the Bronte sisters, Dickens, Shakespeare, some Orson Scott Card, and a host of other novels. But, Twilight is so happy and so fun that I like to “obsess” over it the most. It doesn’t mean that my kids go hungry or my house is more of a mess or that I never talk about anything else. Moderation even in obsession. ;)

• WOW! We must have been separated at birth! This is EXACTLY how I feel, right down to your other reading choices! I was going to comment on this post but you said it all already, just the way I would. Brava!

• Faye massenroe says:

I agree, except Twilight did get me to start watching True Blood which I love.

• Yoko Stevenson says:

Fantastic! I love this comment.

• haha, nightlock berries vs. freesia! I love your comments!

• I agree, I too enjoy Jane Austen and several other romantic authors.. I wasn’t a Twihard before the movie, in fact, the real reason I watched it is because my other movie didn’t start until 90 minutes later and it was during Thanksgiving weekend. It blew me away and I couldn’t wait to read the books because I became so fascinated by the movie. I recently finished last night Meyer’s “The Host” and was surprised on how much I enjoyed it. Today, saw the Hunger Games movie, I enjoyed it but not going to buy the book. I didn’t catch the fever as I did on Twilight.

7. I particularly found the article hard to swallow when they tried to claim that the Twilight and THG fandoms are completely opposite … because about half of THG’s fans are over 25 — and about half of Twilight fans are under 25.

I think USA Today/Scott Bowles needs to go take a refresher course on fractions.

8. ZOMBIES! I’m obssessed with all things Zombie.

• JustMe44 says:

ME TOO!!! Then you must love The Walking Dead, which IMO is the best cable TV show out there.

Yay zombies!

9. What I find really amusing is that the author herself, Stephenie Meyer, was a big fan of Hunger Games from its very beginning, long before all these Johnny-come-latelies in the media jumped on the bandwagon.

10. Some of my faves: The Prophecy movie trilogy (angel war with Christopher Walken), The Darkangel Trilogy novels by Meredith Ann Pierce, Scott Pilgrim graphic novel series and movie, Meet The Robinsons/A Day With Wilbur Robinson, Kick-Ass movie and comic books…

I haven’t read the book nor seen the movie, but I find the Hunger Games vs Twilight thing silly, especially on the part of the media and Twi-haters, because it’s obvious that Twilight fans (including Stephenie Meyer herself) were among the ‘early adopters’ of The Hunger Games just like Harry Potter fans who were among the early adopters of Twilight.

Personally, I’m delighted by The Hunger Games’ massive box office. If it had underperformed there would have been this narrative of “Well, it looks like Potter and Twilight are weird phenomena with successes that can’t be replicated, so no point in adapting more YA sci-fi fantasy lit.” But instead there is going to be a lot more sci-fi/fantasy properties being made into movies. So a round of applause for The Hunger Games.

Some of this HG vs Twilight is good-natured pseudo-rivalry, but a lot of it is just plain Twilight-bashing. Well, to paraphrase Futurama’s Bender, Twi-haters can kiss my sparkly marble ass.

11. I love you, Twilight Lexicon. I couldn’t have put it better myself. I’m so sick of people thinking everyone’s at war with each other, and that you can’t like other fandoms. I’m also sick of the delusion that all Twilight fans are tweens that know no other literature.

Video Games:

Kingdom Hearts – Forever and ever will I love this video game series. I’m actually writing this on the ten-year-anniversary of the series. I’ve followed it from the beginning (since I was nine), and KH has opened so many doors for me. Honestly, I think KH and Twilight have led me to the most places. I wouldn’t be who I am today without either (it’s no wonder why for awhile the two were competing for my favorite fandom).

I’m also huge on the Final Fantasy games and The World Ends With You (I actually got into both through KH).

Books:

Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, Maximum Ride, Roswell High, The Hunger Games, The Vampire Diaries (though I have fallen out of it a little), The Wolves of Mercy Falls Series, Rising Book 1: Resistance…

TV Shows:

Once Upon a Time, Smallville, Avatar: The Last Airbender…

As you can see, my list of fandoms goes on and on, but they’re all different. I don’t only care about Twilight and things like it. Grr!

And this is sort of off topic, but I’ve noticed that even though I love shows, animes, and movies… it’s usually books and video games that touch me the most. I think it’s because they’re so much longer, and you can really delve into the story and characters more. You feel like you’re part of the world (video games, at least RPGs, are meant to be this way). I just find more to love with these because you see more. I think that’s part of the reason I love series more than stand alone stories. You grow with the characters and find more reason to love them that way. Anyway…

• Yoko Stevenson says:

I love what you said at the beginning of your post! Totally agree!

• Brittany says:

YES! I totally agree with the first two paragraphs. That’s exactly how I feel. It’s ridiculous people think you can only like one fandom. I LOVE Twilight, Harry Potter, and The Hunger Games. But those are only a few of my obsessions. Smallville, Supernatural, Superman, Nancy Drew Games, Gilmore Girls, Boy Meets World, Grey’s Anatomy….

• “I am neither a tween, nor am I new to reading. I’m not oblivious to Twilight’s flaws, but I LOVE it anyway because nothing’s perfect; at the end of the day, Twilight made me feel more than a lot of other things have. But does that mean I only care about Twilight? Heck no! Here are some other things my life revolves around. LOL.”

Hear Hear!I couldn’t have said it better. *Note* I’m old, I’m married, I’ve always been a rabid reader of anything and everything and I love Twilight.

12. That Other Twilighter Girl says:

I was of the understanding that the two fandoms are like friends. Really good friends.
    They need to consider Stepenie her self liked the books! And of course with her recommendation published on the front cover of the book, her fans would instantly respect it at least, and many would have picked up the book because of that glowing recommendation. I STILL AM.
    My best friend like HG I love twilight (to the extrem) :) really I can’t think of it another way then that. And the media is the mean one who likes gossip and spreads rumors.

13. I am getting so sick of the media.

14. Someone commented on a post over at “Letters to Twilght,” (which i subsequently commented on over at twilightnewssite) which i think may be relevant.

Stephenie Meyer’s personal endorsement of The Hunger Games. It’s not on her site anymore, but the commenter found it via the Internet Archive’s “Wayback Machine.” Stephenie posted this on her personal site three days after The Hunger Games was published:

September 17, 2008

People often ask me for reading suggestions, and I’m always happy to share because books are exciting things to me. My latest excitement is this: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I was so obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and hide it under the edge of the table so I wouldn’t have to stop reading. The story kept me up for several nights in a row, because even after I was finished, I just lay in bed wide awake thinking about it. I’ve been recommending it to total strangers in Target. And now to everyone who reads my website. The Hunger Games is amazing.

–Stephenie

15. If I had to choose another YA series that I am almost as obsessed with as Twilight it would be the “Mortal Instrument” series by Cassandra Clare. Supposedly it is development stages to make into a film and they have already cast Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Bower as two of the leads. While I enjoyed the Hunger Games series, I found them too depressing. Even the happy times were so tinged with sadness that they weren’t as happy as they should be. I will see the movie (s) though because I too want to support bringing YA books to the big screen. Another series that should be looked at for adaptation is the “Nicholas Flamel” series. Long live the Harry Potter, Enders Game, Percy Jackson, Eragon, Fablehaven, I am Number Four, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. etc. etc. geeks!

16. Brittany says:

Black dagger brotherhood!!! Ahhhh, now I am 26 and readers beware this series is for the adult only eyes but with that being said, like others who have written on here, twilight had jump started me back to reading again, my heart is in the shape of the Cullen crest, but my oh my black dagger brotherhood can get that heart really pumping!! :)

17. Differnce is HP and Hunger Games are critical acclaim and will stand the test of time.HP is up there with star wars,star trek and lord of the rings. Twilight is a series people will be embarrassed by in 10 years.
    Hunger Games has a 85% fresh on rotten tomatoes and a 68/100 on Metacrtic

Twilight IS A CRITICAL FAILURE

HP is superior to Twilight

Hunger games is way better than Twilight

TWILIGHT IS AWFUL that is why all the movies are certifed ROTTEN.

• Why are you on this website? If you hate Twilight so much why even bother checking this site???

I love reading and Twilight just made me want to read more. I am not a Tween, I am in my late 50′s and love reading Twilight along with HG, LOTR, HP and just started reading Game of Thrones. And I love all the movies for these books, too.

18. Faye massenroe says:

Check out Fifty Shades of Grey which is being called Twilight for adults. It is supposed to be fan fiction based on Bella and Edward. There are 3 books in the series and there are talks of movies. Rob and Kristen should play the leads!

19. There share the same YA genre but that’s about as far is it goes. Of course twilight fans can latterl over and like lots of different things.
    My favorites are Hunger Games, city of bones, HP, Graceling. Not to mention all the shows like vampire diaries, once upon a time, bones, the finder and SNL. twilight fans are not obtuse we are supportes of many passions.

20. charlotte says:

Just went to see The Hunger Games last night with my friend who hadn’t read the books and after I was explaining my obsession and how it was the first books series since Twilight that I had been completely obsessed with and it was so great to have something new and exciting to obsess over. I still love Twilight too. There’s room for more than 1 obsession in my life.

I also Love Grey’s anatomy, 1 tree hill, Harry Potter and many many other things. It’s just great that there’s so much good quality entertainmentt out there!!

21. Let’s face some serious facts folks, the Media SELDOM gets things right. Anybody who’s been apart of the Star Wars or Star Trek fandom, readily knows that many programs have pitted Star Wars against Star Trek.

As for obsessions…

Right now it is Mass Effect 3, and before then it was Skyrim…

As in books… oh my… Hunger Games (I bet everybody sobbed at Rue’s death in the film), Harry Potter, Fables (comic book series), Lord of the Rings ANYTHING…(trying to learn Elvish…:p) and a whole host of Non-fiction titles.

I heard somebody say SMALLVILLE!!!!!!!??????? I love me some Smallville (Cloe Sullivan fan!…so glad she didn’t die). Buffy: The Vampire Slayer…first three seasons of X-Files. :D

I likes a lot of stuff!

22. Aileen Leon says:

I really LOVE Twilight theres nothing i love more than that but am also a fan of taylor swift , and even though some people may think the only thing i think about is twilight i also write songs and play guitar. So yeah even though all i do is twilight i also do different stuff.

23. Yoko Stevenson says:

YES. I love so many different things! I think the thing that makes my Twilight obsession stand out more than the others is that it gets SO much more hate than anything else I love. And this really sticks in my craw. If I didn’t feel the need to defend Twilight against all the prejudice out there, people might get to hear about the other things I’m crazy about. Such as:

Books:

Orson Scott Card, Isaac Asimov, Jane Austen, HP, THG, The Lorien Legacies, The Book Thief, The Percy Jackson Series, The Heroes of Olympus series, Dean Koontz, The Book of Mormon, tons of classical literature, and about a million other random titles and authors.

Movies/ Shows:

Roswell, Lost, Arrested Development, Modern Family, Avatar: The Last Airbender, SO MANY MOVIES that I can’t possible list them here.

MIsc:

Greek and Roman Mythology, Philosophy, a varied myriad of poetry, creative writing, painting, MUSIC!!!!!!, and oh so much more.

• Yoko Stevenson says:

Oh! And any/every super hero related movie!! Batman, Superman, Spiderman, The Avengers, X-men! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE M. Knight Shyamalan’s first 5 movies: The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, Lady in the Water. Another TV show: Psych! BBC: North and South, Wives and Daughters, Persuasion, Daniel Deronda. So much to love.

• Love that you love Roswell!! :) Just wanted to let you know!!

• Yoko Stevenson says:

Yep, I’m pretty sure it was one of my very first obsessions :). And I still love it! I actually just finished re-watching all three seasons about a month ago, heehee.

24. Like many have said, Twilight is my first and strongest obsession. It also got me entrenched in YA fiction, even though I am much older. I read several YA books based on recommendations from Stephenie, and other Twilight fans. Some of my favorites are The Mortal Instrument series, the Iron Fey series, Hunger Games, Fallen, Matched, Possession, Delerium, and Hush, Hush. Two of my NEW favorite series are Divergent by Veronica Roth and Firelight by Sophie Jordan. Love both of those! I am also a Jane Austen fan and now fantasy with Elantris and Mistborn. So yes people, we like to have fun, but we also have intelligence, passion, and diversity.

25. Alright so I fall under the over 25 in this article and a lot more interests including Firefly so a Big I’ll be in my Bunk out to all of you who love that show..Jane Jane,…alright different show I know. But there are all sorts of other things that we all like clearly. I haven’t had much time to sink my teeth into a good book lately but I love Dr Who Once Upon a Time, Walking Dead. They need to go back and do their homework.

26. HP is superior tgo twilight

Hunger Games is better than twilight

27. Lynne Stringer says:

I am still offended that the press STILL insist that Twilight fans are largely under 25 years of age. Of all the Twilight fans I am friends with (and there are quite a few) hardly any of them are under 30. I am 41, and I am a pretty normal part of the Twilight fan demographic. You idiot journalists! Don’t you research? Of course not! That would take effort.

28. Currently I’m reading Bel Ami by Guy de Maupassant and loving it. So besides loving the Twilight saga,there are some other great books out there,that doesn’t have anything to do with the YA genre. I agree with what some others have said about this supposed Twilight vs. HG war,because alot of us have read both series. One film critic said the reason why he liked HG,is because this is a female protagonist he could support. That sounded like a back handed slap at Bella,because for those less informed she’s a “weak human”,who’s always waiting to be rescued. I’m trying to remember on what page does she sit and knit a wool sweater,while the other characters do all of the work? Bella proves that she is just as brave as the others and essentially the only one that can save her family and friends from the Volturi. The media likes to pit one series against the other,as the next big thing. However like many have said when they do that,it’s with series’ that are completely opposite of each other. It’s what makes each series unique,therefore you can’t compare one to the other.

• I read Bel Ami last year and could not put it down. It was brilliant. As for that self important critic who said that THG had a female protagonist he could support , he must have a ego the size of Texas if he thinks we really care about what HE thinks. Those stupid critics dont have a clue.

29. Completely agree here! I think that many of us have a lot of common tastes that just happens to include Twilight. Many of my fellow fans also enjoy Buffy, True Blood, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Modern Family, Once Upon a Time, Jane Austen, Stephen King…now that’s a mix for you. Also, Hunger-lings is horrible and gross. WHY must they name people who simply really enjoy a book or movie? Yuck.

30. My first love is comic books. It will always be my first love. But I’m also crazy about Twilight, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and wow – The Host! I just read it! Anyway, this whole “them versus us” thing is silly.

Yes, there are certain things I love more than others, but I still love them all!

So why does the media do this? Because readers respond to it!! A geek site will never get as many “hits” on their website as they do when they get fans to argue about Star Trek vs. Star Wars. Or DC vs. Marvel. Or pirates vs. ninjas. So this will continue no matter what we say!!

31. I wonder what they will do when The Host movie comes out? It’s by the same author as Twilight. Ha! They’ll have a tough time getting us to argue over that one — we love Stephenie Meyer!! (But for the record, I’m team Ian.)

32. hey friends see HD wallapers Of Kristen Stewart

33. B. Ramirez says:

I’d like to comment on the reason WHY the media persists on characterizing members of different fandom as if they were in competition with each other. 1) They need an easy narrative that can fit into a half-page article. 2)The people who market films, books, video games, and “merch” (ala lunch boxes, T-shirts, action figures, and dohickeys) are in COMPETITION with each other for $. They try to inspire “brand loyalty” from their fanbase because of their financial interests. The merger between Lionsgate and Summit was mutually beneficial because Lionsgate can benefit from the past success of Twilight, and Summit can benefit from a projected sucess with the HG franchise. However, the people who sell Twilight merch and Hunger Games merch will continue to be in competition for costumers.

34. MaleTwilightFan says:

I agree with the general consensus. The way I see it is you have two highly successful young adult book franchies that have both been made into huge movies backed by the same studios so it’s natural for the media to want to make comparsions and contrasts. I like Doctor Who and Once Upon a Time alot. I liked The River, I also liked Terra Nova but it failed so best two out of three for Steven Spielberg. Smash is one of the best new shows. I recommend anyone watch it.

35. I love Twilight. My tastes are all over the map, but I normally dislike romance novels.

Favorite Authors: Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King (The Talisman is so good and I could only read the KIng’s IT outside in broad daylight), Kurt Vonnegut, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, John Steinbeck, Nick Hornsby, Harper Lee, Charles Dickens, Edgar Allen Poe, David Brin, Dave Eggers, and J.R.R. Tolkein.

36. Best page of a conversation because I am a hugh twilight fan but I too like other things. I do watch other vampire shows and movies not just twilight

37. I always resent they assume Twilight fans are all 14…I am 52, everyone I go to see the movies with or are reading the books around me are 20 and thirty somethings. The whole hospital staff was reading them- NONE OF THEM UNDER 21… when I went to the movies it was about 50/50… so I don’t know where they come up all their stats. I loved the Harry Potter series, can’t seem to get into the Hunger Games, but am about to start the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. So I think I blow their stats out of the water. You do not have to be a teen to love books, I hate labels, and they should be happy there has been such a resurgence of reading, I love it!

38. switzy4ever14 says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE The Hunger Games and I’m on mockingjay.net as often as I’m on here. I am extremely attached to both series as well as a host of other things such as HP, Glee, Peaches by Jodi L. Anderson, and many others. I’m sick and tired of the media telling me I have to choose. I won’t.

1. [...] people, beyond the us-vs-them thing, are constantly struggling to figure out truth, whether they realize it or not.  As [...]