Harry Potter Finale May Take New Moon and Eclipse Records

According to Entertainment Weekly, Part 2 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows may overtake he box office records set by New Moon:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows–Part 2 has already collected $25 million domestically from advance ticket sales, according to Variety. The majority of the sales have reportedly been for midnight screenings, giving Deathly Hallows a legitimate shot at beating the $30 million midnight record set last year by The Twilight Saga: Eclipse. The final Harry Potter film will also be aiming its wand at some other box-office milestones, such as the largest opening day (currently The Twilight Saga: New Moon with $72.7 million) and the biggest opening weekend (The Dark Knight with $158.4 million).”

See more on EW

Comments

1. I don’t think it would surprise anyone if HP beat any of those records.

2. Kathryn says:

Is anyone really surprised? More money, better actors, better screen writer, wider fan base.

• If I have to choose between the Harry Potter movies and the Twlight movies, I choose Harry Potter. the movies are so much better. the Twilight movies disgust me and I’m not even sure I’ll buy the Breaking Dawn DVD’s when thier released. they simply don’t give the Twilight books justice.

3. Lynne Stringer says:

Only until BD comes out!

4. nope. wont beat us. they wish!

5. Think logically. Of course they will beat twilight BD, this fan base is over ten years old, more fans, more countries, and better movie all round. And I already bought my ticket for this movie weeks ago.
    I love both Twilight and Harry Potter movies and have nothing but utter respect for both of them. I would not be offended when Harry Potter takes the gold for this one (box office and other movie rewards).

6. Lynne Stringer says:

Actually, I think BD will win. Part 1, anyway. Remember exactly what scenes are in BD Part 1. The most highly anticipated scenes of the entire series. Even if the movie is terrible, many, many fans will probably go and see it multiple times in the cinema. The better it turns out to be (and it’s showing positive signs) the more times they will go back.

7. Martina says:

I totally get it. Twilight breaks records, Harry Potter literally shatters them. I’m a fan of both. For Heaven’s sake, I’m a vampire addict who had a Harry Potter theme party for her eleventh birthday. I love Twilight and have learnt to love other vampire novels thanks to it, but I grew up with Jo. Twilight has been the faithful companion of my teen years, but Harry was there through my transition from childhood to puberty. It’s different.
    But then again, we shouldn’t talk about these numbers until both “Deathly Hallows, Part 2″ and “Breaking Dawn, Part 1″ come out. We’ll see… not that I feel it as an actual rivalry, they are completely different fandoms that can’t and probably shouldn’t be compared, but we’ll see.

8. Let them break the records. We’ll try to beat it again with the last two films. Let’s see what happens. Who knows? :)

9. Y_turner says:

In all honesty, i think HP8 will probably beat New Moon and Eclipse but I feel like Twilight fans make more of an effort than any other fanbase so BD1&2 will eventually beat HP8.

10. I’m a fan of both,so let Harry Potter have this last summer of fun at the box office. Twilight fans will come back in full force in November,because it’s previous films have been watched multiple times. The Harry Potter series had a more somber ending with a hopeful look into the future. However it’s not something I’d want to keep watching again and again. I’d seen that early predictions for both parts of BD making a billion dollars. So it should topple HP8 by next year. We’ll just have to wait and see.

11. If they had waited to release Eclipse in November like all the other movies and gotten the hype up the way they had with New Moon, Eclipse would have done much better.
    And it isn’t surprising that the final Harry Potter movie may break all of the records. They’ve been around 10 years, and absolutely deserve it.

12. Of course it wouldn’t be surprising if HP7 pt 2 breaks all kinds of records. It’s the the finale in one of the greatest sagas ever. I am going to the midnight premier (which happens to be on my birthday! can’t think of a better way to spend it)and the advance tix were SOLD OUT in 2 days after they went on sale over a month ago.

On the other hand, you really cannot compare Harry Potter to Twilight. Twilight is a wonderful saga in it’s own right, and has broken crazy box office records without the summer release momentum (except for Eclipse, which I did see 7 times in theater). When BD comes out, I’m sure it will hold it’s own and have many fans lining up for and selling out midnight showings and making record box office.

There’s room for all the great sagas.

• switzy4ever14 says:

“There’s room for all the great sagas.” Well said.

• I agree. Harry Potter and Twilight are both great sagas and each deserve box office success. I saw Eclipse ten times last year and will probably see Breaking Dawn another ten times this year. Movies such as Harry Potter and Twilight do better during the Thanksgiving holidays. So I’m glad that BD parts 1&2 will be released during the holiday season.

13. I could care less about box office records because QUANTITY doesn’t last. BD might beat it in novmemeber , next year the dark knight rises will take the record from BD .

BOX OFFICE RECORDS DONT LAST.

I care about QUALITY and quality is what HP has, TWILIGHT HAS NO QUALITY.

HP has 8 films all of them are all critical acclaimed by movie fans and film critics. ALL TWILIGHT FILMS ARE ALL ROTTEN WITH NEGATIVE REVIEWS.
    Twilight series has no depth or substance, HP is a master piece by the genius and creative mind of JK Rowling.

Deathly hallows is already rubbing shoulders with Oscars voters, BD will get RAZZIES.

There is no doubt in my mind that HP has and will always be SUPERIOR TWILIGHT.

its not an OPINON…ITS A FACT.

14. CullenCoven says:

Don’t worry. Once Breaking Dawn comes out, those records will once and for all belong to us.

• No…sorry, but just…no

• Brittany says:

haha i totally agree. Harry Potter will always trump Twilight in regards to box office numbers. Don’t believe me? See for yourself at box office mojo! I really don’t like the competitiveness between the two series. It’s always vicious competition… why? who knows? No offense to anyone, but Harry Potter fans, are on the whole, more respectful and reserved when it comes to the “rivalry” between HP and Twilight. Twilight fans or “Twihards” are known to be…well… obsessive. Take last week for example… MTV created the HP World Cup. And who continued to be voted through each round? Cedric Diggory. It has put Twilight in an even more negative light now than before. What Twilight fans did last week was just WRONG.

15. love them both!

Will support both movies fully and completely.

I will be at both midnight shows, and be happy for any and all broken records.