Confirmed: Bill Condon to Direct Breaking Dawn

Bill-CondonsoloHit fix has part of the press release. We will run full copy as soon as we have it.

““I’m very excited to get the chance to bring the climax of this saga to life on-screen. As fans of the series know, this is a one-of-a-kind book – and we’re hoping to create an equally unique cinematic experience,” said Bill Condon.

The fourth book in Stephenie Meyer’s popular series chronicles Bella’s most advanced initiation into the vampire world to date, but is also seen by many as the most difficult to adapt of all the best-selling novels.   Melissa Rosenberg, who adapted the first two novels, would continue in that role for “Dawn.”  Stephenie Meyer has already met with Condon to discuss the project.  She noted in the release, “I’m so thrilled that Bill wants to work with us. I think he’s going to be a great fit, and I’m excited to see what he does with the material.”

See more on Hit Fix

Comments

1. Well finally some real confirmation. The way I feel.. “Things fall apart, the center cannot hold” – I’m about to burst with joy!

• Honestly it’s about time!!! Seriously we’ve all been wondering when this was going to happen. You can only keep your stars looking like a certain age for so long before it becomes moot to shoot it. Very Happy!! Can’t wait to see what’s brought to the screen

2. OMGGGGG!!! i can’t wait!!!!! he also directed sister, sister wayyyy back in the 90s!!!!!!!

3. YES!!!!!!!!! HELL YEAH!!!

wow i am so freaken happy!! i have been wanting to hear news about breaking dawn for a while now. i am glad someone is finally going to direct breaking dawn. i think Bill will do a decent job. i can’t wait

HELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. omg i cant breathe ahhhhh! yay!

5. WHY MUST I WAIT SO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Emily McGee says:

Yay!! I’m excited we have an official director now! Hopefully he’ll do a great job :D

7. I just did a quick net search for a bio of his work.. He’s not done ANYTHING of any importance. A bunch of third rate films and a handful of made for TV crap.

I do hope they reconsider and get someone better.

• YEAH DAVID SLADE HAD ONLY REALLY DIRECTED ONE CRAPPY HORROR MOVIE AND A MUSIC VIDEO FOR STONE TEMPLE PILOTS…AND WE ALL COMPLAINED ABOUT HIM TOO. BUT SO FAR…ECLIPSE LOOKS GOOD. SO HOW BOUT THIS TIME WE WAIT TO BASH HIM UNTIL AFTER THE MOVIE COMES OUT AND JUST BE GLAD THIS IS FORWARD PROGRESS.

• What are you talking about? He directed dreamgirls, wrote the Chicago screenplay, won an Oscar for an adapted screenplay.

I think we are in good hands with him.

• I did the same thing and I’m thinking the same thing but, just as Only said (IN ALL CAPS) David Slade was the same and Chris Weitz had only been directing since 2007. I have some small doubts but I think Summit knows what their doing, They wouldn’t put so much money on this guy if they didn’t think he would do good.

• WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT? He’s been nominated and won many awards for Kinsey, Chicago, Dreamgirls, and Gods and Monsters. If you haven’t heard of these films then I question your taste in movies.

• jocabrocks! says:

its true he’s done a some great films and won an Oscar……but is he really experienced in dark CGI and Teen Romance films? Chris Weitz was experienced in CGI and visial effects and David Slade was familiar with Vampire and dark movies.

I’m not trying to bash this director. Who knows. Maybe he’ll do I great job.

• silvertonguedevil says:

Are you kidding me?!?!? He directed Kinsey and Dreamgirls. I would much rather prefer quality over quantity.

• i guess everyone has their own opinions. But I was very impressed with dream girls and kinsey. just sayin.
      i think he’ll be an awesome choice for director.

8. Katie banks says:

I’m just glad there’s a director for it, it may turn out to be one of the best movies hes made and not just b/c its a twilight movie. I just cant wait to see Edward in the movie omg hes hottttttttt

9. freakinloon says:

Just stay away from the whole 3-D mess, and it’ll be all good!

10. I totally approve of Bill Condon because he’s got an odd mix of experience of chick movies and gore.

I just hope he also assists with the screenplay because he is after a two-time academy award winning screenplay writer.

11. Yay! He’s gonna be awesome. :)

12. Adrielle says:

Finally, some confirmation! Didn’t watch any of his movies, but BD should be in good hands, I hope.

13. Stephanie says:

Finally! some news on Breaking Dawn!

14. I must say I am a bit disapointed they didn’t choose a female director… I am under the impression that they are trying a bit too hard to put more “action” into the movie franchise and are putting aside a tad too much all the emotional side of the saga…

What I liked about the first film was that you had an almost naive freshness to it and you could feel the caracter’s emotions (without hearing the slot machines ring). And I believe it was mostly due to the fact that a woman directed it.

New Moon was OK and was marketed with wolves and action to bring the boys to see it. Eclipse seems to go more on the “battlefield” side than on the love triangle that was the essence of the book… But Breaking Down, the book, is about love and commitment. Commitment to your lover, your family, your child. I just hope Mr Condon understands this and gives us back what we loved about the first movie, how imperfect was it!

15. NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! Chris!! Where are you??