Chaske Spencer Addresses Online Rumors

Over the last couple of days various gossip and entertainment publications have printed and reprinted a story regarding Chaske Spencer’s personal life. Specifically, the allegation was issued that Chaske was an addict who only got clean in a hurry so he could function on the New Moon set. The teller of the tale was someone who was supposedly in rehab at the same facility with Chaske. Chaske is now addressing the rumors directly on his website, so we are now covering the story.

On a personal note we’d like to say that we commend anyone who has dealt with the demons of addiction head on, and that organizations such as AA, NA, have the word anonymous in their title for a reason. So, addicts can recover and feel that they have support without having to reveal who they are. As for people who feel the need to “out the recovering addict”…there are no words.

“Personal Message from Chaske Spencer Setting the Record Straight

To all the wonderful, incredibly loyal fans:

For those of you that read that I was in rehab, I wanted to make sure you heard the truth from me directly. Yes it is true, that I was in rehab, however it was over 19 months ago, long before NEW MOON was even on my radar. It was a pivotal time in my life where I was lucky enough to have supportive friends and family to help me get healthy. I am grateful that I have been clean and sober now for 19 months and cannot imagine my life if I had continued using drugs and alcohol. Almost everything else that was written about this is blatantly false and we are exploring our legal options. That was my past, and I am thankful that I had the opportunity to create a new future for myself. I encourage anyone who is in a similar place to seek support from their friends and family and know that without them, I would not have had the chance to be where I am now.

I want to thank all of you for the support you have shown, and continue to show. I appreciate each and every one of you.

Chaske “

The staff at the Lexicon would also like to note that after being cast in New Moon, the first press surrounding Chaske was his involvement in United Global Shift where he was involved in packing school supplies for school children in need. Chaske spends a lot of time and effort with this group. So we’d like to focus on that positive aspect of what Chaske has done in the 19 months since he has found sobriety. If you are so inclined, the group can always use a donation, why not join us and make one in Chaske’s name.

Comments

1. Good for him for turning this malicious rumor speading into a chance to raise awareness to addictions and what people can do to help those around them. And I commend you for refraining on commenting on the issue until Chaske addressed it himself. That’s what I love about this site :)

2. No one is perfect, and it takes a great deal of strength and courage to face your problems head on and overcome them. Cheers to you, Chaske!

3. Way to go Chaske!

4. We love you Chaske!! (Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!)

5. And what a future you have. Stay focused and happy!

6. dancermommy says:

What a despicable person that was.

7. Boy, sometimes the gossip mongers are so vicious they try to destroy people’s lives! What a bunch of jerks! Chaske, you have nothing to apologize for or be ashamed of! You ought to be commended for your courage to face your own demons, whatever they may have been. Way to go! You have the Twi Pack backing you all the way!

8. Good for him making things right. and i will always support him

9. You go Chaske! You are a very strong person! I wish my cousin would have that strength to stop using drugs. The press has to turn the story around and show everyone who is going through the same thing that you are a

10. (sorry something went wrong)So, Chaske you are a ROLE MODEL! you can show everyone that there is a future they can work for!

11. This is the first I’ve heard of this rumor but I’m glad I heard it straight from Chaske first. And I agree with Melanie-thanks for always reporting the facts & not the rumors Lexicon.

Chaske, I commend you for realizing that you needed help & then going out to get it. Ridding yourself of drugs & alcohol is no easy task but you have found your way out of those muddy waters…you did it! I know it’s a battle you’ll have to fight every day but we here on the Lex are rooting for you. God bless you, always:)

12. It’s a shame that someone felt the need to bring this to light. My father, rest his soul, fought his addiction to alcohol each and every day of his life. It’s a very personal thing, and a wonderful, blessed time when someone can actually find the strength to deal with it and carry on. Good for you, Chaske! We got your back! I love your portrayal of Sam and look forward to seeing more of you in the future.

13. Having lived with someone who has an addiction (still am) this just makes me respect this man more than before.

The tabloids will have a hayday with this one for sure though and that sucks because no one ever prints the good! I’m glad he came out with this statement instead of trying to hide anything. Hopefully it will kind of nit the bad publicity in the butt!

14. I wish him the best of luck. It’s so easy to dig and dig and dig until you find a way to tear someone else down. How sad and pathetic some people can be. I think I will make a donation to his charity of choice just to show my support.

15. Melissa12345 says:

aww poor guy. not fun when ur past comes to nip u from behind. and whoever said that u got sober quick for NM was stupid. thats defintly NOT how rehab works. its not spontaneous

16. LaTuaCantante says:

Geez, I guess some people (e.g. the guy who leaked this) will say anything for their 5 seconds of fame.

We all make mistakes in life. It’s what you learn from them that’s important. And it’s obvious that Chaske has learned from his, so give the guy a break and let him soak in his recent accomplishments and yes, positive contributions.

17. Good job, Chaske! Keep going strong. :)

18. Yisel_Cullen says:

This is the first time I read about this…I’m not into gossip mainly for this reason…they have no right to dig in to people’s personal life and tell things about it in the irresponsible way they do. My money will never sponsor gossips that attempt to destroy and harm good people like him. Chaske’s past is no one business, but since we are already talking about it…I offer him my respect and support. What he has done, ridding himself of his addictions and turning his live around in a very positive way, is a remarkable thing! It takes a lot of courage and strength to recognize you have a problem and seek help, stay sober and healthy mentally and physically…if anything… this only set a positive example for those who are battling their demons and shows them that YES! YOU CAN DO IT! You can overcome your problems and have a successful life. I wish you the best Chaske and I hope you never have to battle those demons again.

19. The whole Twilight fandom supports you 100%!

20. It takes a lot of guts for someone in the spotlight to come right out and own up to something like this, and Chaske has shown an incredible amount of strength in this situation. His ability to own up to it, to address it, and maintain his dignity is a real testament to where he is in his recovery.

Recovery from addiction is a long and hard process, and I hope that this disgusting display of inhumanity won’t hinder Chaske in his successes. I hope he can pull strength from those of us who don’t scorn him for his infallibility. We are all human.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the tables could be turned and all of a sudden people started stalking the paps and airing their dirty laundry? How would they like it?

*shakes head in shame*

21. Chaske is so honest. He could have just lied and hide the fact that he had been in rehab, but he didn’t. I truly respect him. The person who leaked this rumour should feel ashamed.
    We will always support you, Chaske!

22. Congratulations Chakse!! Everyone is proud of you, and we all support you 110% =)

23. this is the first i’ve heard of the rumor. the person who started it should apoligize. they’re jeolious he’s awesome. go Chakse!

24. We will always support you, Chaske! Tackling an addiction is one of the hardest things to deal with, and you courage in speaking about your own experience will no doubt give others courage to find solace and help in their families and loved ones.

Sorry some loser had to try and hate on you…we got your back, homie!

25. Unfortunately, with fame comes resposibility. It is so refreshing to see Chaske own up to past mistakes. It is even better that he is clean and sober now. This is the danger with such a young cast. They have been suddenly flung into the spotlight, their every move dissected, then published. As a senior citizen fan of the “Saga,” it is my sincere hope this cast sets a good example. There are so many millions of young, impressionable fans who want to emulate the stars of this franchise. Facing one’s demons head-on is amonumental task. It takes great inner strength to pick oneself up by the bootstraps, admit to an addiction, and seek the necessary help to overcome it. Bravo to Chaske for setting an example of which to be proud. Now, if we could just get the rest of the cast to stop smoking!!!

26. love2dream says:

Congratulations Chaske! Way to be a great example in learning from past mistakes. Trials can serve to make us stronger. I look forward to seeing your future!

27. Well, he just moved up even more on my like list. Addiction is not choosy. What a guy for taking all the steps to move through his addiction! I hope he knows how much we support him.

28. Congratulations Chaske on 19 months of sobriety!! It is a great accomplishment. Having dealt with addiction myself and with my husband and friends I am behind you all the way!! It is a hard road but not an impossible one! How great you can not be ashamed of this and use your new fortune and opportunities to make it better!

29. I’ll never understand why some people enjoy breaking someone down instead of using their time to build someone up. Congratulations Chaske. I wish you much continued success one day, one step, one moment at a time ;)

30. I don’t see why this matters. Anyone can fall into that trap and he was smart enough to seek help. What does it have to do with the awesome job he did in New Moon?

31. The really great thing about this (besides the fact that he owned up AND the Lex tried to focus on something good he’s doing now) is simply that…

had it not been brought up, and had Chaske not told, I don’t think we ever would have known. I would never look at him and think he ever had any type of addiction problem. He’s cheerful, hilarious, and seems like such a genuine person. As both an actor and a human (wolf!), he just reeks of wonderfulness. He freakin’ shined in New Moon and all of the interviews.

I’d say that’s a testament to how well he kicked his addiction in the butt, more than anything else.

32. OMG Robert Pattinson broke up with Kristen.
    Guess who is his new girlfriend now??
    MILEY CYRUS… Pictures are below:

I still can’t believe this

33. theotherStephanie says:

30.Missy says:
    “7 December 2009 at 11:37 am
    I don’t see why this matters. Anyone can fall into that trap and he was smart enough to seek help. What does it have to do with the awesome job he did in New Moon?”

I second this comment! Kudos to you, Chaske, for setting the record straight and removing the power that bad press has about this. Your inner strength and inherent talent will take you far!

Why, oh, why is this stuff even newsworthy?

34. GO CHASKE! it takes a brave person to admit he truth, good job. everyone is soooo proud of you

35. Good luck Chaske!

Keep strong and clean you got a bright future ahead of you. Keep going!

36. checkin’ in for my 5 minutes of fame…lol! there is alot more to this story than whats on the outside to see. there’s always more…anyways i commend chaske as well for a great response to the story. as far as fabrications and lies…please dude…it’s me baby, we both know how and why this happened. its called karma.