New Moon: The Sales Record Continues

According to Nikki Finke at Deadline Hollywood:

“1. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON (Summit Entertainment) Week 2 [4,042 Theaters)
Wed $14.3M, Thurs $9.2M, Fri $17.7M, Sat $16.5M
3-Day Total: $42.5M  (includes Sunday estimate) (-70%)
5-Day Total: $66M  (includes Sunday estimate)
Domestic Cume: $230.7M  (includes Sunday estimate_”

This cum (much of which is estimated because of the Thanksgiving holiday official numbers won’t come out until Monday and could go up or down) would put New Moon in the number 6 position roughly 30 million behind Star Trek, the current holder of the number 5 position.

So what does all this mean? According to Larry Richman, our favorite number analyst:

“The Twilight Saga: New Moon won its second consecutive weekend, taking in an estimated $42.5M from 4042 locations for the Friday-Sunday period, and an estimated $66M for the five-day holiday weekend from Wednesday to Sunday. This increases the film’s domestic cumulative total to $230.7M through its first 10 days of release. The current worldwide cumulative total is $362.8M. There have been no new international numbers all week so the actual total will be much higher when Summit releases updated figures later today.

These numbers are not “actuals,” meaning they are only official estimates based on early reports. For those who are new to the box office numbers game, it may seem odd to have these figures when Sunday isn’t even over yet. But it is standard procedure to have weekend totals announced at this time. After the Saturday box office totals come in on Sunday morning, studios always estimate Sunday and come up with a weekend projection. Of course, Sunday and weekend figures can only be estimates at this point. The actual Sunday numbers aren’t known until Monday. But many years and literally thousands of projections have yielded formulas that allow the industry to predict fairly closely what Sunday will be based on Friday and Saturday’s numbers and, therefore, what the weekend will look like. The actual numbers that come in on Monday are usually not too far off from the estimates made on Sunday. They usually adjust slightly up or down but are rarely far off.”

Read Larry’s day-by-day analysis here in language any non-industry person can understand.  Also follow him on Twitter!

With at least a four-month run ahead where will New Moon land?  Honestly, we have no idea, because New Moon already exceeded Lexicon staff expectations. Right now we are thinking it will finish in the number 2 or 3 position. Only time will tell.

Comments

1. Stephenie Meyer Rocks! says:

Woohoo!
    New Moon has proven itself!
    YAY Twilight fans, we win! We have to make sure that New Moon gets the #1 spot. If we all stick together, we can!
    No wonder Stephenie Meyer describes us as the best, dedicated fans!

YAY FOR NEW MOON! :D

2. switzy4ever says:

first to comment, yay! yes, Lex ladies, 2 or 3 would be awesome and much more than expected. I think we should aim for number one! who says we can’t do it? we’ve already exceeded the world’s expectations! and we’ve only been out a little over a week!

sorry for the multiple exclamation points, i am just so excited.

3. Yisel_Cullen says:

I knew it would make big money…I wrote it in another comment. There were big lines at the movies this weekend as well…I won’t be surprised is the actual #s go up a little bit. Woawww 230M is a lot of money in 10 days…I bet nobody at Summit expected this…and that makes me ask again…When are we going to have some sort of confirmation about Breaking Down? I mean…these ppl at Summit have make more money with New Moon in 10 days that what they did with Twilight in its entire run…and when the international numbers get in…that amount will double!
    It’s about time we get some news…don’t u think?

4. LoveNewMoon says:

OMG! And the Twilight Saga hasn’t even reached China yet! Can you imagine how it would be if that country was included as well?

5. Yeah, with China in the mix numbers will be even higher. Estimates or no, the numbers continue to impress… plus DVD sales and increased book sales. This is a machine.

6. I wonder if New Moon might just end up in position #1. That would be so great! I can’t wait to go to the theatres again. I’ll have to fix a date soon.

7. OK if EVERY Twilight fan sees it again (at least once) next weekend, I think we can get pretty high on the ranks. I didn’t get a chance to see it this weekend (I’ve only seen it twice so far. :( But by next weekend, I’ll be itching to go see again. My friend still hasn’t seen it and is saving for when she can go with me and so is my sister. So I should see it at least 2 more times!

OK EVERYBODY, one more time next weekend!!! Let’s do this!!!

8. This is SERIOUSLY INSANELY BEYOND AWESOME!!!!

9. Wooooohoooo my god! I really hope New Moon will up in position#1! We are really Twilght fans!!! Yeahhhh

10. wow. thats all i hav to say……wow.

11. Going again tonight to do my part to make it number one!! :)

12. Viewing it for the fourth time in about an hour! YAY!!

13. Ow guys. I feel so connected to all of you *tear* Lol
    I love Twilight and this is awesome!! It’s out of control!! <33333333333333333333333

14. I don’t understand why US Magazine headline reads:

New Moon Drops Almost 70% in Second Weekend Box Office

DC

15. This is for the administrators. In the first paragraph, I’m assuming it should say “This sum” not “This cum”. Just thought I’d point it out in case it hadn’t been caught yet.

16. shinyvolvoowner says:

heh

17. I think Eclipse will sell even more than New Moon.

Does anyone know if Stephanie Meyer is going to publish Midnight Sun?

18. It’s a bit early but I feel pressure for Eclipse already–how on earth are we going to top these numbers?

• I’m not worried. Eclipse can easily top New Moon’s numbers. For one, the book is EQUAL parts Edward and Jacob, so both teams will be seeing it numerous times. AND add the fact that in Eclipse, that famous “TENT SCENE” and the bedroom scene between Edward and Bella. Plus not to mention, the hot kiss between Jacob and Bella and the cliffhanger to the proposal at the end of New Moon,

All these factors will make Eclipse even more successful. Plus it comes out in the summer. Summer movies always do better than winter/holiday movies!!!

For BD, it’ll be successful because of the wedding, honeymoon and Bella becoming a vampire!!!

19. Wow, big numbers here!

20. I just read an article on Fox that says the worldwide totals put the movie at $473 million. I’m not sure if that’s correct, but maybe they got the new numbers in. Regardless, it’s awesome. I probably won’t see it again as I’ve already seen it 5 times(and I’m firmly Team Edward, so that speaks volumes…Chris Weitz did a fantastic job). I hope that we hear about BD soon. With these numbers, I don’t see how they won’t do it.

21. alwaysedward says:

4x’s – it is just SOOOO good! Thank you Weitz, thank you Rob, Kristin, and Taylor and all the rest for just bringing New Moon alive.

22. …”this cum”
    lol.

ohyeah, also woot! we rock.
    we’re making history.

• You are right!! We ARE making history!! :D
      Our beloved film and actors will be seen in history books 50 years from now. It’s gonna say that these were the ‘new style’ vampires and that the salesnumbers were over the top. With all the shows on tv and outcoming movies, we are entering vampire decade guys :D

23. I can’t wait until payday Friday so i can go see it again!

24. OK I’m dying to see it again but my friend still hasn’t contacted me! I told her I’ll leave it up to here when she can see it since I’ve seen it already, but damn it… what’s taking her so long?? Isn’t she at all interested???? She’s the same friend that lent me her Twilight book back in 2006! So she was into the books but I guess she didn’t become obsessed like we are here!!

I wish I knew more Twilighters here in Chicago!!!

25. Just that New Moon did better then Twilight is good enough for me.
    So what if it drops ? I’m pretty sure all movies and especially ones that make 142 million dollars in one weekend will drop.

I JUST ADORE THIS MOVIE AND THE SERIES AND I’m happy and I will continue to watch New Moon once or twice every week till it leaves.