New Moon Breaks Openning Day Record

According to Variety.com New Moon has beaten The Dark Knight’s openning day record.  After having the best midnight showing ever New Moon has now made $72.7 million in 24 hours.

Summit Entertainment’s The Twilight Saga: New Moon tore up the box office record for best opening day, grabbing the title away from Warner Bros. The Dark Knight, and earning a spectacular $72.7 million yesterday at 4,024 theaters.

An exceptional feat for a film playing outside the summer frame.

Dark Knight had minted $67.2 million from 4,366 runs on July 18, 2008 before making a three-day opening weekend of $158.4 million.

You can read the rest of the article HERE

Comments

1. Way to go New Moon!

Let’s hope all this money equals an even better movie with Eclipse! Chris Weitz (and the cast too, of course :))were amazing, so I’m not suprised it brought in so much already.

2. this is so cool to know. we fans rock harder than the batman fans LOL

3. I am thoroughly disgusted.

4. AWESOME.
    Way to go Twilighters!
    We really can do amazing things.
    It makes me so happy when Twilight does well, I love being a part of something bigger than myself. :)

5. Yisel_Cullen says:

I’m honestly not surprised by those numbers and at the same time very happy with them. I went to the midnight show on Thursday and there were 23 New Moon shows going on at the theater I attended here in Miami! 23 no kidding!….and I also went yesterday evening with a different set of friends and let me tell you…almost 40% of the audience was males (all ages)… there were big lines of people waiting to see the movie and I bet most of them bought tickets in advance (I did). So, everybody is watching New Moon, not just women and teen girls. The media needs to stop stereotyping the movie and underestimating the power of twifans! I’m planning to go on Sunday (tomorrow) again with my mom (I’m 25 and she’s 47).
    New Moon is a beautiful movie. It surpassed my expectations….I know it isn’t perfect, but I don’t care…I like what I saw and I’m very happy with it!

• I think they generalize it on purpose. “They” being the media ect for one of two reasons. Either they are to ignorant/lazy to learn about the books/films and demographics. Or, they really want to classify it as a passing fad. I just want to tell them, sorry it isn’t. I love when we exceed the expectations of people. I noticed on box office mojo people were grading it with an “F.” There is no way this film deserves an “F.” Those people are haters. My daughter is 14, I am the one who got her into reading the books. They always say the “girls” influenced the mothers. That really isn’t necessarily true. I also got my sister, mom, best friend, and so on to read the book. My best friend convinced her daughter to read them.

• Yisel Cullen says:

I’m 100% with you…there is no way New Moon deserves an F..I bet many of those ppl haven’t even seen the movie because if they hate Twilight so much…why did they go to see it the first day? This movie is so much better than many of those summer blockbusters full of violence and visual effects…the haters are so annoying, but at the end I just pity some of those people because it is a very sad thing not be able to relate to something so beautiful and pure like Twilight’s love story.

• i love this so much! i knew ‘new moon ‘ would break opening day records, but never thought it would do this good! so happy! wow! can’t wait for sunday’s tally. miami had a bunch of screens. i watched it at midnight at an imax theatre in houston and it was showing on 6 screens (each holding some 400 ppl) so that was a record for them. there were quite a bit of men in the theatre and they all looked relatively into it, not as though they were dragged there against their will. i’m in my 30’s…saw twilight and then told the ladies in my pilates class, they all yelled at me and insisted i READ the books. bought the first book shortly after that…was instantly hooked, read the next 3 books in 2 months and i’ve been hooked ever since. i’ve actually read them all more than once and eclipse is by far my favorite book! i can not wait until june 2010 for the movie to come out. i’m convinced more RECORDS WILL BE BROKEN!!!! can’t wait to see what movies come out at the same time so that eclipse can kill all competitors at the box office. CRITICS BEWARE & ALL HATERS GO AWAY!

6. I am really tired of the teenager generalization as well. The youngest looking people in the theater looked to be late teens/early twenties and the vast majority of people looked to be in their late 20s and 30s… like our group of 14 people.

• I agree. 90% of the people that started screaming when the movie started were the twimoms!!! Love it!

• Same here. In my theater here in Hawaii, the majority were 18 and older. And it was split between adult males & females. Honestly, the tween audience “they” keep talking about comprised a small percentage of the audience.

• I agree, most I know are well into their 20’s and most my age (upper 30’s) I also noticed that a certain theater here by where I live has a Living Room setting, in the 21 and over area, you can get food from the resturant, and drinks, and this section of times have been sold out well into Tuesday, and keeps getting going on to the next day sold out. SO that alone goes to show that its not just teens. I LOVE the Twilight Saga, and to me, these books will become classics once we are all dead and gone! Way to go Twilight Saga!!

• Yup, when oh when will the world realise that it’s definitely MORE than teen gals who are driving the success of this amazing Saga???

This fantastic movie doesn’t open in my country until 3 Dec. But already the Twilight/New Moon marathons are selling out and they keep having to open up more slots!

It’s almost KILLING me to read some of the comments whilst having to wait to watch it.
      And have already planned for MULTIPLE viewings, no doubt about it!

7. YAY!!

TAKE THAT FANBOYS!!!

AND SEXIST MALE CRITICS!

8. I went with my 12 year old daughter,but would have gone by myself.There were almost as many men as there were women in this theater.My son is 17 and he went today with a big group of guy friends in the same age group. Go NEW MOON.

• Love knows no age limit. I am 56 and was the second one in line. There were other mothers in their 30s and 40s and all had a great time. We shared a common bond in the possibilities of an unconditional kind of love. It knows no age, sex or color. I’ve seen the movie twice and will see it again.

9. Mary Alice Cullen says:

The movie was awsome!!! I had to wait 20min in line to get in the theater but it was worth it.

10. So happy! Let’s keep it up and break the opening weekend record!! I am sick of the “teenage girls are the only fans” or, “it’s only about the shirtless guys” stuff I keep hearing. Please. I am 32, I saw it with my husband (who is a huge fan), and there were TONS of straight guys in the theater both times I have seen it. So there! :)

• Right on! I’m a 22 year old diehard fan of the Saga! If people would read the books they’d realize the shirtlessness is just how it is, period! I love Twilight, my best friend who is 22 loves Twilight and my 78 year old grandmother loves Twilight!

• Twilight Nymph says:

I totally agree I’m 22 and I didn’t go for the guys taking their shirts off. It was the story that attracted me. Even though New Moon is my least favorite book I seriously loved this movie. I loved all the emotion in it.The action as well. I mean even my parents said it was better, they said they really liked it, specially because there was more ACTION. So take that stupid critics. It just goes to prove that when we unite we can accomplish anything.

11. With all the money it’s made, I hope this means we might hear some official news about Breaking Dawn. Even though it’s my least favorite of the 4, closure would be nice, and if they can get Chris back to do it by any chance, that would be awesome!

12. cristy_702 says:

AHHHH!!! Yay!!! XD

13. i’m not suprised
    i mean everybody loves the twilight saga-new moon
    my mum too!

ps; i’m on Thursday in new moon because i live in GERMANY..:/

• RunsWithWolves says:

Wahey Heidi!

I suffer with you – even more. My calls up on saturday – cant find a babysitter till then *ggrrr*

And im seeing it at 24 with my husband who is so obsessed with the saga (books first) that he’s planned forks into our USA tour next year – woohooo – gotta love those twi-hubbys!

14. This is so great. I’ve already seen it twice and just to help out the box office craziness I’ll go again on Sunday. And then when my brother gets back to town I’ll take him to go see it…so exciting!!

15. I don’t live in a big town..at all..and we sold out 12 theaters and the line for midnight went all the way around our whole theater..it was mad.

16. This is absolutely INCREDIBLE! I literally cried when I read this. I am so happy it’s done so well; hopefully that much more to make a FABULOUS Breaking Dawn if it happends–and if it does, I want Chris Weitz to do it more than anything.

17. I’m so incredibly happy to see New Moon do so well! I was worried that after all the bad reviews, the male gender wouldn’t even give it a chance. I knew the true Twilight fans like us would’ve still gone to see it.

I wanted to see it today but my closest theater is close to Michigan Ave (in Chicago) and today was the Holiday lighting ceremony there, hence it would be a zoo on Michigan Ave. So I’m gonna try to go tomorrow. I hope I can just walk up and get tickets as I didn’t get it in advance. I’m dying to see it again w/o gay guys talking next to commenting on how hot Taylor is (even though he is, can’t they just zip it for the duration of the movie…sheesh!)

18. 1/2 OF MY FRIENDS HAVEN’T SEEN IT COZ ALL THE NIGHT SHOWINGS ARE SOLD OUT! Today they’re watching it while I’m at work . geez. and they can’t pick another time to watch it coz it’s all sold out :(

but way to go New Moon!

19. nissanmama says:

Nena and I saw it at 3:00 am. The theater we went to had multiple showings around the clock. I loved that we were all in jammies and wrapped up in blankets in the middle of the night. Breakfast afterward…and then a nap!

20. silkoverglass says:

I just have one thing to say: na-ner-na-ner-na-ner!

21. BellaNicole says:

My best friend and I went to the midnight showing and we are both 25. The crowd was mostly female, but it was mixed ages. I knew it would be a smash..they underestimate us Twilight fans.

22. Stephenie Meyer Rocks! says:

Twilight haters, go away. Do you know you guys are ruining our party?!

WAY TO GO NEW MOON! Twilighters, you all ROCK!!! SERIOUSLY, YOU ALL DO!

If we keep up, we can make New Moon bigger than the Dark Knight on the opening weekend too! We can!

ROCK ON TWIHARDS! LETS STAND TOGETHER!

Troll off, critics and haters. Twilight and Stephenie Meyer rock!

• dude, I’m a guy, and all my friends who are guys 100% like the Twilight series and only 1 of my friends is gay. I’m not being sexist, but I’m just sayin that straight brakedancing, call of duty,Halo guys liked it as much as u guys do. (Minus the swoon over Taylor Lautner though) ha ah ah

• wow I really hope it beats the Dark Knight Record. Just to show that the critics were wrong

23. I have not seen newmoon yet, looks good though guys!

24. I am not surprised one bit. It truly was great.

25. Even better the second time around!

I’m also disgusted with the media’s generalization that this is a preteen/teen film. I’m 49 and totally entranced by this series. I started writing fanfiction because of it!

Go New Moon! Blast all the records out of the water!!!

26. I went with my mom.WE both loved it and can not wait for Eclipse and Breaking Dawn.Way to go TWILIGHT SAGA STEPHENIE MEYER.

27. SugaryGiggles says:

Haven’t seen it yet, but planning to go on my next day off work.

As far as the generalizations go, I was watching TV today and saw a commercial by Burger King that had a New Moon tie in which features teens, grandmothers, and 2 male construction workers sporting “Team Edward” and “Team Jacob” vests lol. It was a nice change to see them show some guys in a Twilight Saga related commercial.

28. so it was a good movie?
    im planning on watching it next week but the reviews were awful. i hope it isnt because i dont want to waste my money. i also hate how the media promotes the characters with edward being the bad boy and jacob being the goody two-shoe. its completely opposite.jacob is the bad boy. anyways, im glad you guys liked it. hopefully i feel the same way too.

29. “this is so cool to know. we fans rock harder than the batman fans LOL”

comeback when you cross 150 million weekend. and then when you cross 1 billion worldwide.

• Dude don’t get me wrong, but, if in 24 hour NM has made $72.7 million, just wonder what it’ll be in the whole weekend… plus sum up the same weekend world wide… So plz, stop hate it, stop compare it… Just enjoy it like all the twifans over here!!!! **Peace, Love & Twilight!!!** ;D

30. nice title. At least you write as well as stephenie meyer

31. So exciting! I’m surprised at all the hostility people have. It’s fun, people! Just good ol’ fun! What’s with the haters?

32. Got my hands on the new moon ;)

33. Got my hands on the new moon

34. I’ve been saying this for a long time. I don’t think the critics will ever understand the Twilight series. It’s not their demographic, and not their kind of movie. They don’t care to learn anything about the plot, or what goes into it, and so they rate it poorly. Plus, I think most of the critics that people seem to pay attention to are guys who are at least mid-twenties, usually older. Our free newspaper in Chicago that most people read, the Redeye, rated it at the lowest it could be. Are you kidding me? I laughed out loud when I read that. It was just ridiculous! They don’t get it at all…

Yay for New Moon. I knew it had it in it. I definitely have a date again with Edward Cullen and Jacob Black again tomorrow. 2:30 showing in Chicago. Yeah! Go me!

35. Twilight Nymph says:

I’ll just say this I hope we beat that 158.4 Million record so we can prove to those critics that it not just a bunch of pre-teens, teens, or women wanting to see guys take their shirts off. Lets show them that we are more that, so that then we can do this =P, and stick it to them.

36. How proud and wonderful to be part of something so big! Congrats Twilighters, awesome!! I’m from the Philippines and caught the first show on Friday… Thank goodness I bought tickets ahead of time… the line went around the corner… and on a working friday!! Cheers! The movie rocked by the way!

37. I’m in the UK, male and 40 years old, myself and my wifer are going to see New Moon on Monday. Couldn’t get to see it over the weekend as everywhere is sold out.

38. i find it funny that people think it making a lot of money will prove critics wrong…it doesn’t prove anything. Transformers 2 made a crap load of money, do critics think it’s a good movie? no. It’s not like people re-do movie reviews after a movie is out for a while.

and if twilight beats dark knight, i think it will be because all the fans going to see it over and over. ew the titanic effect.

39. Nuv – Keep it to yourself. If you like this franchise don’t steal from it. At least wait until it sets some records before posting that all over the place. Not cool.

40. Way to go Twi-hards! New Moon is the best! Who cares about the critics? I don’t, anyway. I am SO happy about this! Thank you Chris Weitz!

41. Does anyone know what Jake says to Bella before he goes to kiss her? He says something in Native Amercian

• I’d like to know too. I’ve only read rumors that he said either “I love you” or “stay with me forever.” But both could be wrong. I wish I knew someone who spoke the quileute language!

42. I loved the movie! Enough said about that!
    BTW you spelled Opening wrong in the title. Just thought you should know if no one has told you yet. :)