Volturi Revealed: Meet Marcus

MARCUS
Full Name: Marcus
Status: Vampire
Group: Volturi Coven
Date of Birth: Around 1300 BC
Date of Transformation: Unknown

Special Abilities: He sees the strength of the relationships between people  “You already know what you’ll do, Aro.”

CHARACTER DESCRIPTION:
Marcus is the most detached of the Volturi leaders. The loss of his mate has essentially turned him into a zombie over the centuries. He is surprised by the intensity of Bella and Edward’s relationship.

VOLTURI
1) The Volturi include: Aro, Caius, and Marcus as the leaders, and then Jane, Alec, Demetri, Felix, Heidi, and several other unnamed members of the guard.
2) The Volturi are similar to a ruling body, and protect the secret of vampires by wiping out any “problems” as vampire law defines.
3) The Volturi live in an ancient Tuscan city called “Volterra”.
4) Aro and Jane’s powers do not work on Bella.

Director Chris Weitz on the Volturi —
“No matter how strange one of the characters is in a work of fantasy, I think you have to approach them as people and then so you start to think, ‘They’ve been around for 2,000 years. How would they interact with one another?’  The conclusion was that after 2,000 years you’d probably be more than mildly insane. No matter how cultured or gracious you appear on the surface. And I think that’s what Michael Sheen managed to portray as Aro, the head of the Volturi — on the surface he’s terribly gracious, warm, a wonderful host and at the same time he’s lethal and frightening.  It’s also what Dakota Fanning conveys as Jane. She’s innocent looking in appearance but she’s absolutely deadly.  The first thing I wanted to do was put them in a setting that wasn’t Dracula’s castle.  There have been so many vampire movies and werewolf movies and horror movies where everything has been dark and dreary. Instead, their headquarters is surprisingly light and crisp. And the characters that they play have a kind of a tactile reality to them in spite of how bizarre their situation is really. The whole point is not to leave Forks, Washington where everything has really been quite realistic and then suddenly go to a location that completely throws you out of the movie.  And the set although it’s huge and grand and magnificent actually feels like a real place.”

Meet the other Volturi: Jane (on MySpace), Aro (Yahoo), Caius (AOL Moviefone), and Alec (MTV)

Actor  Christopher Heyerdahl plays Marcus.

The Ultralarge HiRes version of Chris as Marcus is here

Comments

1. WOAH! Was not expecting this! Very cool!

2. lol Marcus looks perfect and Ciaus okay but Aro is just plain FREAKY

3. Jane. Is. Perfect.

4. Surprisingly good. I love Marcus. Caius actually looks quite good. Aro = perfect. Dakota Fanning looks downright creepy as Jane. I’m loving Alec, too. All in all, I’m not disappointed.

5. Aro is a used car salesman???? lol I think it’s the suit I’m not digging. He’d look more menacing with the robe. I think I imagined all of them more… creepy and frail-looking, I guess. But I’m sure they’ll look more convincing to me in video. Marcus is definitely my favourite look so far.

• yeah, it’s really weird that he’s not in a robe as the rest of them, that’s not how I pictured him, well at least not the clothes, the look of his face is almost perfect

6. Whoa!!! Awesome transformations! Love what Chris Weitz said about not wanting their place to look like Dracula’s castle. I think Weitz is on the ball!

7. la_petite_femme says:

AAH!!! yES Finalllyy I’ve been waiting for this day to come in what seems like forever~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GOing to check out the other Volturi!!!!!!!!!1

8. Lex-Thank you for posting the picture! But–why didn’t you feature all of the pictures here instead of making us click all over the internet?

Also curious why the studio insists on putting out drawings instead of real pictures? Quite irritating.

9. Twilight Nymph says:

Wow they are all so awesome and creepy at the same time. It’s weird they are all not in robes. Alec I understand, but Aro, that’s a whole different case. Hopefully he’ll wear the robe in the movie.

10. Well i think they are all great actors without a doubt but i think alec and jane look the best. Casius reminds me of draco.the rest i dont know if its the back round but just looks cartoonish to me I cant explain it right.. Cant wait new moon.. YESSSS

11. they look scary.
    i think it’s perfect.

12. u been holdin out on us MTV—U ROCK BALLS!!!

13. marcus looks a lot more like aro than aro does.
    caius is supposed to have white hair, not blond.
    jane’s eye makeup looks absolutely ridiculous.
    alec and jane look nothing alike and alec looks like a joke.

14. Jane and Alec were suppose to look like twins, yet Dakota still has Blonde hair when it should have been brown. I guess I’ll just ignore that detail and hope she portrays Jane as she should be.

15. dude!!! cauis and alec are HOT!!! lol. the acotrs themselves arent all the yummy… but seeing them in vamp getup…. oooo drool!!!!

16. Yisel Cullen says:

I think they all look great…to be honest…better than I expected…my favorite is Alec..he has that deadly gorgeous look…and Aro is perfect…I have no doubt that Michael Sheen have done an amazing job portraying Aro…his face in that pic tells you everything. Dakota looks great too…she has that innocent-deadly look in her…great job Chris! I can’t wait to see the movie…
    BTW..are there any pics of Demetri? I wanna see him so bad! LOL

17. Ugh, he looks like… Denethor! My Marcus is OLD! *sniff sniff*

18. Amber_eyes_lover says:

Is it just me or does Marcus Volturi kinda look an awful like Grima Wormtounge from the Two Towers in a sort of pasty-evil way…?

19. Kathleen loves vamps says:

Just a little Cheestasic don’t you think. Im like it would be what a vampire would look like in a b-rate movie. Jane looks good though

20. Okay, i’ll start with positives…

Alec= sexiness XDDD
    Jane= perfection, i do love her look,it’s amazing! And hey, twins can be FRATERNAL (that’s for the people who complain about jane & alec)
    Cauis= honestly, i was scared of jamie campbell bower being caius, but my opinion is starting to waver. the still made a diff
    aro= i’m not crazy bout the mane but it’ll do i suppose. the facial expression is perfection, i love the look!
    marcus= ew. i imagined marcus as much younger and well…better looking. marcus in my head would have a more dead-looking expression and his hair wouldn’t look curly like bella’s…my marcus had straight hair, just a little past chin-length, and was younger…perhaps thirty-ish? idk marcus was the only one i wasn’t so crazy about…

when will we see felix & demetri?

21. littleyellowporsche says:

hmmmm….im not sure what I think about the three heads yet. Jane and Alec look great. I wasnt too happy with Fanning as Jane, but she looks like she can pull if off. As for Aro, Marcus and Caius….eehh…we’ll see

22. LaTuaCantante says:

Cool! Loved him as Alastair on “Supernatural”

23. LaTuaCantante says:

Oh and whoa on the rest. This is way cool!

24. Jane and Alec look great… the rest of the Volturi don’t look EXACTLY how I pictured them but its not bad. I think they look pretty good. I bet they’ll look even better when they’re not set against a background like that.

25. i was wondering when they were going to show us a picture of the volturi but i wasnt expecitng the bios and stuff that was great!!! i dont like dakota fanning but i cant argue that she looks perfect as Jane and i like Alec but the other 3 are just..ok..for me Aro looks soo weird not at all hwo i pictured himb ut oh well they are still good and the movie will still be awesome!!!!!

26. Sterling Snow says:

Not what I was expecting, but I like it. I LOOOOVE Jane and Alec! Totally perfect. Both really creepy looking, and Cameron is GORGEOUS! Can’t wait for November :)

27. looovvvingggg the volturi. i just don’t get why aro and alec couldnt be in robes too, especially aro. they’d look a lot better.

28. OH MY GOSH!!!! ARO IS PERFECT!! I mean aside from the whole not wearing a robe thing, HE’S ABSOLUTELY FREAKING PERFECT!!!!!!! I thought the actor had the right look and this just proves it. And I have to say, Marcus actually looks quite good. I had a hissy fit when I first saw pictures of Jamie but now I think they’ve just redeemed themselves for picking him. I still think he should look older, but he came out VERY close to how I pictured him. Alec I’m not so crazy about. I can’t quite put my finger on why. Marcus is great. AND JANE IS FANTASTIC!!! Not quite the way I picture her, but this look totally works for me. All in all, I love!!! <3<3<3

29. THEY ALL LOOK SOOO AWSOME!

I LOVE HOW THEY HAVE THE STONE FLOOR, THE MOON AND THE CLOCK TOWER IN THE SHOOT, IT GIVES IT SO MUCH OF AN EFFECT … ITS UNREAL!

REALLY AMAZING PHOTO’S AND SUPRISING JUST HOW I IMAGINED THEM! AND ALEC… OH MY, IS IT JUST ME OR DOES HE LOOK GORGEOUS IN THAT PICTURE LOL.

CANT WAIT…CAN YOU?

30. perfect!! can’t wait now.

31. Surprisingly, they looked really good. Aro was abosolutely perfect, Jane was awesome, Alec was super cute and Marcus wasn’t half bad. I just thought jamie looked a bit awkward as Caius but we won’t know exactly until the movie comes out! =D

32. Woah not how I really expected him, but good job. LOL He’s really kinda scary looking IMO!

33. I absolutely shrieked when I saw that picture! It’s the first I’m seeing the pic of a Volturi member. I love the way Chris Weitz thinks. I have a very good feeling about New Moon. Can’t he also be the director of Breaking Dawn?

34. mrsmkeyman says:

jane is freakin scary yo!!! haha alec looks hot(;

35. rice12345 says:

Jane is PERFECT.

36. I love Jane’s shoes cause it tells that she’s innocent when she’s really not, haha. I don’t like Aro’s hair, ugh. Though I think the suit if fitting. And Caius hair looks too fake as well for my taste. But other than that they all look spectacular.

37. Right ONNNNNNN!!!! See what happens when you burn little children!!!! {Silent Hill} Ha Ha!!! Props to them-Fab Vamps! I wish I could hang with the Volturi and bite some peeps!!!! I like my meat well done!!!! LOL- Really, that Jaimie Bower is Rockin with those robes on! WooooEEEEE! Bye twilight friends! Love those little maryjanes-I wonder if they will have them at Nordstroms after they premiere the movie!!! Ha Ha!!!!

38. Vampiregirlsince1918 says:

Over all I’m pretty happy! They all look very awesome! The only problems I have are Caius’ hair should be white or at least white blonde, Jane has on to much eye make up, Aro should be in a robe, and I think the guy playing Marcus looks a little to old. Every thing else is awesome though! Love the pics!

39. cristy_702 says:

OMGSH!!! They all look sooo good!! Love it! :D

40. fredricka15 says:

Marcus is totally spot on to my vision of him, this is gonna be great!

41. Santiva Potter says:

my only real complaint is probably Cauis. That blond wig, is not working–at all. I don’t really understand how you can go wrong with the description of “white-haired ancient vampire” but apparently, it is possible.

42. Marcus looks spot-on to me. LOVE it. I’m really happy with Jane, too.

I’m not sure about the suits they’ve got Aro and Alec in, but otherwise I think they look good. And come on, Michael Sheen is just plain awesome.

Caius’ age is really questionable. I’m still not sure why they cast someone so young, but maybe his performance will be so good it won’t matter. *Crosses fingers*

43. ehh. Jane and Alec don’t look like twins. and Jane is supposed to be androgynous, meaning not looking like a complete girl. the heaving heavy eye makeup on isn’t working either. i like Marcus, Aro, and Caius look really good though

44. Wow, just when I think I can’t get any more excited for this movie! I’ve been waiting for this moment ever since the NM casting was announced… I think all the Volturi look amazing! :D I can’t even pick a favorite. Jane and Alec are spot-on. They look young without being children, and they’re both beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

And I’m in love with Michael Sheen as Aro. I can’t wait to see his performance! Marcus definitely has the look of a heartbroken zombie, haha… I’m also looking forward to seeing Jamie pull off Caius and all his anger issues. I think all three of them are going to surprise everybody in November. I can’t wait! :D

Seriously, Chris Weitz is my hero for doing such genius casting. (Well, as far as I can tell, anyway! We’ll see for sure when the movie comes out.)

45. I kinda love Alec! lol. Though he’s a bit young for me.. though its only one year apart :P

46. lucia barreca says:

affascina il suo sguardo…………ti penetra,ti legge!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. WOW! loving it! :) wish Aro was in the robe though…. i think he would look even more amazing then – i absolutely love them all – and Dakota is great as Jane!!!!

ahhh! can’t wait for the movie to be out!

<3 volturi
    :D

48. Zookie Monster says:

Um, so…yeah…They all pretty much FRICKEN ROCK!
    Although I thought Caius would have more pearl-white hair, but Jamie looks great! They are all fricken awesome! Dakota looks absolutely perfect. The kid who plays Alec, oh yummy hahaha and Michael Sheen and the Marcus guy look superb! This will be an amazing movie!

49. KellanLutzz says:

Ka so pretty much the only one I like is Dakota.. The rest look… Just bad. Like draculas. The skin looks like clown makeup, they all have bad hair.. and is it me or does Alec have a REALLY big head?

I mean, I dont know.. I just imagined them all more… Attractive.

50. lirael cullen says:

I can’t see it yet but, hopefully in time i will.

1. [...] The Volturi from The Twilight Saga: New Moon have officially been revealed — check out Twilight Lexicon for Volturi [...]