Stephenie Meyer Reveals New Moon Soundtrack Info

According to Stephenie Meyer’s Website:

“I just received the following announcement from Atlantic Records (the record label that produced the Twilight Soundtrack):

The first single has officially been confirmed for the New Moon Soundtrack! Death Cab for Cutie has written an exclusive song for the movie entitled ‘Meet Me On the Equinox.’ Below is a statement from the band about the song:

“We are very excited to be a part of this amazing series of novels set in our own backyard. It just seemed a perfect synergy that a band from the Northwest would create a song for a series of novels set in the Northwest. We wrote ‘Meet Me On the Equinox’ to reflect the celestial themes and motifs that run throughout the Twilight series and we wanted to capture that desperate feeling of endings and beginnings that so strongly affect the main characters. This song marks the first attempt that Death Cab for Cutie has ever made at contributing new, unreleased material for a film and we are proud to be a part of the Twilight legacy.” — Nick Harmer / Death Cab for Cutie

Additionally, we have the exclusive premiere of the soundtrack album! The soundtrack will be in stores on October 20th, 2009, stay tuned for more information!”

Billboard also has a follow up on rumored artists.

According to Summit Entertainment’s press release:

“After months of speculation, Atlantic and Chop Shop Records have announced that the first single from the upcoming New Moon Soundtrack will be Death Cab for Cutie’s ‘Meet Me On the Equinox’. Fans will be able to hear the song, which was written exclusively for the soundtrack, in its entirety for the first time September 13th on MTV.COM during the MTV VMAs.”

So Death Cab for Cutie…what do you think?

Comments

1. the 20th? i thought it was the 13th! well im gonna go listen to them cause i never did

2. I love death cab. Sooooo excited they’re on the soundtrack!

3. OH I love them!!! I’m happy that they wrote a song for the movie!

4. Loved it!
    After the Kings Of Leon disapointment…
    It’s just great!

5. theyre pretty good…but i have to hear the song on the soundtrack

6. This is amazing! I’m so glad Death Cab will be on the soundtrack. Their sound is perfect for New Moon.

7. I love DCFC…but I just found this NM video and song that would be GREAT for the soundtrack!

8. la_petite_femme says:

OMG!! this is just perfect!
    Death cab for cutie is one of my favorite bands! I can totally see their style mixing well with New Moon.
    Geek! I can’t wait!

9. sorry but I HATE DCFC. Well, I liked them up till Cath and then Grapevine Fires. Too whiny. I’ll be interested to see what they put together but I hope the soundtrack isn’t too mainstream alt/pop.

10. I wish you would listen to Josiah Leming’s music. He is young and fresh and writes amazing lyrics. Go to his myspace. He is with Warner Bros. and will be releasing a cd very soon. http://www.myspace.com/josiahleming

dc

11. What a lovely surprise! :)
    They already have some songs very much in the Saga mood (f.ex. “I Will Follow You Into the Dark”)
    I’m sure the new one will be great too!

• That is one of my favorite songs of theres. They performed it when I saw them this summer :) Throughout the entire concert I kept telling my friends, this is a perfect Twilight song. So glad they’re on the soundtrack.

12. WOOHOO!!! I LOVE DCFC :) Can’t wait till Bell’s bday to hear the song!

13. YAY!!! I love them! I actually “discovered” them thanks to Stephenie’s playlists on her website (Soul Meets Body on The Host’s playlist is my FAV!). Her playlists have introduced me to a lot of music I would have never listened to other wise. Thanks Stephenie!!!

14. soozabooza54 says:

AWESOME CHOICE – they set the perfect mood for New Moon!

15. My favorite band of all time! AND THEY’RE GOING TO BE ON THE NM SOUNDTRACK! I couldn’t be happier.

16. Yippee!
    One of my favourite bands, on the soundtrack for the movie based on my favourite book of series! Couldn’t be happier! Except maybe if “I will follow you into the dark” was on it (I know it’s a BD song on SM’s website, but I always had it in mind for NM).

17. Very good call!!! NO mainstream… AWESOME!!!!

18. missbluejuju says:

One of the Sirius Radio DJs said he got to hear it today. He said it was “really good and kind of dark”. The September 13 thing stands though, even for Sirius. (Quote’s from Alt Nation’s Facebook Fanpage, fyi.)

19. papermoon says:

GAHH!!! i’m so surprised and absolutely THRILLED!
    i was disappointed after the KoL thing but this makes me happy again ^^ i’ll probably buy the soundtrack now.

20. I am so excited! I love this band. It’s one of my favorites. If you’ve never listened to them, give them a try. I love just about every song on their cd’s.

21. Yahoo for Death can for cutie!!!
    andd this comes out the day after my birthday! :D:D:D

22. i.am.SO.happy. this has made my day.

23. ive never heard of them before but from the comments im guessing they are a good choice and that brightens my day that and the volturi!! and it was starting to get so slow when it came to new moon news

24. Very good choice. definitely would have been on my list. I am especially excited that they chose to pick a band from the Pacific Northwest… People that lived here and have that Northwest heart that you can’t understand unless you’ve lived with. People from here can best capture what it feels like for our favorite characters to live here as well.

25. this is absolutely TERRIFIC! i couldn’t be more excited!!! death cab for cutie is an awesome band. i can’t wait to see what they’ve come up with! :D

26. Yessss! DCFC!!!! My favorite band!

27. Death Cab is awesome! I’m so excited.

28. Tinkerbella24 says:

I think i might have heard of them before but not real sure. So I went and found the site Loved the music and cant wait to hear the song for New MOon!!!
    So Excited about them and to see who else they get for music.

29. This is the first time I hear of the band. After checking some of their music on YT I think the song has potential to be very good. I really like their sound, I’m very happy now! =) The description of the lyrics sounds good too. Can’t wait to hear the song! By the way, is this song gonna be what Decode was for Twilight, kinf of the theme song?

30. I’ve never heard about them, but since everyone here seems to approve, they must be good. I want to hear their song.

31. I love love love Death Cab For Cutie!!!!!!! They’re really good at presenting extremely emotive music and lyrics. For those who haven’t heard of them before, try these:
    – What Sarah Said >>>>> my favourite
    – A lack of color
    – Passanger Seat
    – Transatlanticism
    – Crooked Teeth >>>>> a bit more boppy :P

• What Sarah Said is my favourite DCFC song too along with Death of an Interior Designer and Passenger Seat! They are fab live as well! Ecstatic that they’re on the soundtrack! I suppose I missed that KoL aren’t going to be on there after all – I love them too – boo! Thom Yorke is still a go though right? Radiohead are one of my most favourite of bands EVAH! Can’t wait for this soundtrack, it’s going to be stellar!

32. I have their song “I Will Follow You Into the Dark” on my Breaking Dawn playlist but don’t have any other songs by them.

I wonder if the Kristen, Taylor and Rob will announce their performance at the VMA’s like they did last year for Paramore.

Maybe not since they’re in Vancouver filming Eclipse.

33. AWESOME!!! I LOVE Death Cab!!!

34. YES!!!!!!! They have been my favorite band FOREVER! I’m also from the Northwest, too (near their “backyard”). YYYYYYAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. Serena Welles says:

I love it. This is just absolutely fantastic. I always loved Death Cab for Cutie so I’m super excited. I’m hoping that the rest of the soundtrack is super special awesome.

36. I think it’s perfect! Death Cab for Cutie’s one of my favorite bands. Just yesterday I added ~39 of their songs to my playlist and I’m currently obsessing over how beautiful their song Grapevine Fires is.

37. Yay I love Death Cab!!! I approve! ;)

38. I am really happy with this choice !

39. here’s the thing. I recently re-read Stephenie Meyer’s book New Moon and actually read the acknowledgments. Among other things, Stephenie lists the music that inspired her while she was writing. I was already thinking about music and when I added this new tidbit of information to the mix I just couldn’t shake it loose. Why is music so powerful? I think that the underlying drum beat of the song has the ability to work within us – kind of like a heart beat. In doing so the rhythm inspires that which is hanging out in our sub-conscience, and >>poof<< dishes are done! So why the flash backs? I think that Hollywood has done a really good job in teaching us that special moments in our lives should be overshadowed with music. Theme music for our lives? Yep! That is what I think anyway New Moon and Stephenie Meyer are FANGtastic

40. headache_heartache says:

I am so stoked on this news!!! Yay DCFC!!
    Also DCFC newbies check out Title and Registration and Photobooth two of my faaaavourite songs!!! And oh oh don’t forget Ben Gibbard’s (lead singer) AMAZING side project called the Postal Service. The record is called Give Up and its perfect the whole way through. yay! I can’t wait to see who else is going to be on the soundtrack…

41. bleh just bleh

42. woooo! yay :)

43. Oh, Marvelous Things says:

This is AWESOME news. Love them. Does anyone (mods?) know if the music video is going to premiere on that date at the awards? And, if so, is it going to be the same kind of video that ‘decode’ was, where we see splices of the movie within it? Because that would be spectacular.
    Hoorah.

44. “Alex Patsavas — the influential music supervisor whose credits include television shows “The O.C.,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Gossip Girls” and “Chuck” as well as the original “Twilight” film — is the music supervisor for “New Moon.” All of the songs in “New Moon” will be exclusive to the film, all either written specifically for the movie or never available anywhere else.”

I guess that means that all the aspiring musicians (Hana Pestle, Lee Safar, Goodnight Juliet, Justin Guarini, Candace Charee, etc.) that have been actively campaigning on the fansites to help put their music on the soundtrack are out of luck?

45. I am so HAPPY right now!! The soundtrack is going to be amazing!! Thank you Alex Patsavas ( Music Supervisor/Chop Shop)!!

46. yay!!! I love death cab for cutie!!

47. PERFECT!!! I love Death Cab For Cutie=]

48. DCFC is an awesome band. I think it’s great that they’re gonna be on the soundtrack!

49. love them!

1. [...] over “real fans” of those bands in the near future! Stephenie Meyer [Official site via Twilight Lexicon] Death Cab For Cutie Scores Lead ‘New Moon’ Single [...]