What Makes Twilight Accessible?

The Deadbolt does a run down of just what make the Twilight Saga so accessible and relatable to so many people:

“Why has the Stephenie Meyer based Twilight Saga become such a global phenomenon? Why have so many female fans flocked to the town of Forks in the Twilight setting? Based on the volume of Twilight related articles hitting the internet and the levels of online Twilight and New Moon discussion, it’s obvious the Twilight franchise is the most popular big screen adaptation series out there.”

They come up four key reasons to answer this question. Do you agree?

Comments

1. Angela says:

Sounds about right to me.

2. safina says:

The articles that are written by Larson are always very interesting.And yes,I mostly agree with her.

I do see myself as Bella because I can easily relate to her.I’m also a very ordinary girl.Nothing special about me.
    The literary genre plays a huge role in the Twilight Saga’s popularity.I’ve always loved romance and fantasy novels.I don’t like to live in the real life,and Twilight takes me to the kind of world I’ve always wanted to exist in.
    Stephenie Meyer may not be as good an author as Jane Austen,but she wrote her books in her own way,and that’s what makes them special:she wrote her books out of love for her fictional characters.
    And of course,I want somethng I can never get:Edward Cullen.But I also want Jacob,Nessie,all the Cullens,all the Quileutes,…..The list is long.

I just really want to be a part of the Twilight universe even if it’s not possible.I want all of it,and there are no rational reasons behind love.

3. AGREE WITH YOU SAFINA. EVERY WOMAN DESERVES AN EDWARD. STEPH WROTE CHARACTERS THAT YOU COULD IDENTIFY WITH. I HAD AN ABSENT FATHER SO I AM PARTICULARLY DRAWN TO CARLISLES GENTLE MANNER. I THINK EVERYONE JUST WANTS TO BE A PART OF THIS SPECIAL FAMILY WHO PUT EACH OTHER FIRST. NO ONE SCAMMING, SCREAMING, FIGHTING, THEY ARE REFRESHING IN THIS DAY AND TIME. I WOULD MUCH RATHER LIVE IN
    STEPH’S WORLD THAN MY OWN, IF ONLY FOR AWHILE. I
    WISH SHE WOULD CONTINUE IT FOREVER. I WOULD READ THE SERIES AS LONG AS HER IMAGINATION COULD HOLD OUT. I’VE HAD A REALLY CRAPPY REALITY SO I LOVE THESE BOOKS. NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. YES, I USE TO WANT MR. DARCY. NOW I WANT EDWARD, SO WHAT, BOTH
    ARE FANTASY. ACTUALLY, EDWARD MORE GENTLEMANLY THAN MR DARCY WAS…

4. little_one says:

I agree. Bella is a very generic sort of character – one that is easily identifiable with. For me, that’s one of the lures of Twilight – that the heroine isn’t gorgeously beautiful, perfect, etc. And yes, of course I want my own Edward Cullen. Who wouldn’t? :) As for the writing, I admit that I am a literary snob. I was reluctant to jump onto the Twilight bandwagon, because it just seemed a far cry from Steinbeck, Orwell, George Eliot, all authors I commonly read. (And plus, I had read reviews online that had slammed it as poorly written teen drivel) But once I started Twilight, I found that I didn’t really care. Is Twilight perfectly written? Of course not. Bella is too dazzled and gushy, and Edward is too angsty and masochistic most of the time. Is it as well-written as the Harry Potter series? Personally, I don’t think so. But, you know what? I don’t care, because the Twilight universe is utterly encompassing and has sucked me in like no other universe, not even Harry Potter, has ever done before. It’s a gorgeous escape from reality, the characters are some of the most intriguing out there, and I wish every day that I were Bella Swan just so that I can join the Cullens.

• CullenChik says:

I have nothing new to add to this list, so I’ll just say…you literally took the words right out of my mouth. Well said little_one.

And I’m glad I’m not the only literary snob…it took a lot of convincing to persuade me to pick up these books! However, I have now finished the series for the seventh time since Christmas, and can’t seem to allow myself to venture back into the world of another author. The Cullens are just where I want to be. =)

• little_one says:

CullenChik, I empathise. I literally have hundreds of unread books waiting for me, but I always seem to gravitate back to Twilight, no matter how many times I’ve read it… lol

• Katie Tetwiler says:

I completely agree with little one. I’m a teacher and a 40 year old mother of three. I was reluctant to get sucked into the teen hype…but I saw the movie and enjoyed it. My students were talking about it and I borrowed and read the books. Are they great works of literature? No, but I loved them and they served my purpose perfectly. I could relate to the ordinary and remember the dream of the extraordinary. If I want a quick easy daydream, I pick up one of the saga. Yes, I own many of the classics and the complete Harry Potter series and love them too. But I don’t transplant myself into that world. They are what they are and we read what gives us an escape and what we enjoy.

5. Good article. I agree that the main attraction is Bella is an average girl and a complex character and Twilight is an adventure story for girls as well as a romance. It sort of reminds me of “Romancing the Stone” Hollywood does not make female adventure movies, movies about average women, and most of their female characters are unrelateable. So Twilight does not have any competition at the box office. When you add in the fact that Twilight also lets girls experience the half of their sexuality that is taboo or even denied by patriarchal societies, the half where girls are unconcerned with their own appearance or seeking male approval, while checking out hot men, how could the movie lose? I still don’t think Hollywood has any idea why the movie hit it so big. They will undoubtedly try to imitate it and I would guess will fall flat on their faces because they don’t know it is a new genre.

6. OOOOH NO SAFINA and KAREN dont be down, you are all beautiful women.Everyone deserves a great man in there life and a loving family.HANG IN THERE and be positve and dont 4get u always have us twifrieds..(i guess im an alice).have a great night….

• Oh. Thats is so nice to say. Yes girls you are beautiful. Remember Bella felt plain and maybe she was but there is alway someone(even more than one) who find YOU beautiful in their eyes.

• This is a great article. I really enjoy reading Deadbolt. They always have such great perspective and thought provoking topics and issues related to Twilight and other stuff.

7. Subject: 4 Reasons why The Twilight Saga is so accessible…
    I agree with what Larsen wrote to the above statement. The character of Edward Cullen draws me further and further into the world of Twilight. Did I mention that I’m 48 and a wife, mother of 3 and grandmother of one? haha! The character is everything perfect in a male plus more. With his supernatural ablilities, education and financial secuirty Edward becomes a very passionate, sweet, caring and gorgeous male alive to me. I must also say that I totally agree that I read and reread certain parts of all the T.S. so I can stay and get close to Edward. My husband and sons know of my obsession (yes, I am obsessed) and they are very supportive of me. I feel they can only be supportive of their mother because this makes me happy, and yes at times, I feel like a teenager in love again and get giggly! :-)

Thank you.

8. annalise says:

This is my first post here. I just found the Twilight Saga about 6 weeks ago and I’ve already read it four times. For some reason it just completely sucks you in to this alternate reality! My husband thinks I’m obsessed, but he’s completely supportive of it. I don’t really agree with the Deadbolt person saying that Edward represents Mr. Perfect. Only Bella sees him as perfect, because she’s madly in love with him. All her other points were pretty right-on, though.

• annalise welcome 2 this great site!!!!!!its 1 of my fav.sites 2 go 2 4 all the latest news..have fun and enjoy twifriend.

9. I liked this article. I think pretty much hit the nail on the head. I’m a big fan of some of the classics myself and I would rank The Twilight Saga right up there with them. Granted, Stephenie is no Austen is terms of writing style but I don’t think that really matters. People in general don’t read Pride & Prejudice because its’ English is stellar, they read it for the story, for the unfolding relationship between Elizabeth and Mr Darcy. Bella and Edward’s story is just as compelling, and, to my mind, if Twilight (like Harry Potter) gets more young people reading where before they’d sit in front of the TV or a computer then it can only be a good thing.

I would disagree with the assertion that Edward is the perfect man though granted he is closer to perfect than most other literary characters, (I still have a soft spot for Edward Ferrars), and I get the feeling that the boys of the younger generations are going to have a lot to live up to