Twilight DVD Sells 3 million in the first day

So the numbers are finally in and Twilight soared into the top 5 biggest first day sales in the last two years.

“We are incredibly appreciative that TWILIGHT fans came out to once again support this film at our midnight events across the nation,” said Steve Nickerson, Summit’s President of Home Entertainment. “With such a successful first day sales, it is apparent that our fans remain passionate about the TWILIGHT SAGA and want to own a piece of the Edward and Bella story they have come to love. We look forward to the continued success for both the home entertainment and retail sales of this property as a whole.”

You can read the entire press release here.

Comments

1. Twifanatic Amanda says:

Is that a record?!

2. I wonder…does his include internet presales? Either way, good job Twilighters!

3. Seriously?! We’re surprised by these numbers?

4. LostinPhilly says:

Awesome!! Great job Twilighters! This is only the beginning!

5. ScarletRubie says:

i wonder what movies sold the highest, i think this might be some sort of record or something. It’s cool either way!

6. Newmoonlover says:

Oh Snap!

7. ScarletRubie says:

nev mind Pirates sold 5 million in the first day and Dark Knight sold the same as twilight, the Passion sold 4.1 million. Twilight is up there though.

8. CaughtMyself426 says:

hehe coolsio! Wait till I get mine april 6th!

9. ScarletRubie says:

Finding Nemo is No. 1 with eight million followed by Spiderman with 7 million, just some random thing i found, LOL

10. ScartletRubie:

Thanks for the info. (As someone who plays trivia, that’s great info to know.)

Wonder if there were so many different versions, people were waiting to see which was the best one, they decided to wait?

I say next film, we take down the fish.

11. I’m really not suprised at how much it sold. Twilight has turned into a huge franchise that everyone loves. This is the first DVD I have bought in a while. I usually end up just renting but Twilight is defiently something different.

12. that’s 53 million dollars worth of dvd sales, I hope summit gives us a big budget for New Moon…

13. woot woot!!! i love mine =D i’ve been watching it nonstop =P

14. Sugary Giggles says:

I haven’t bought my copy yet, maybe tomorrow. I’m still waiting to hear more about what version is the best.

I’m sure that number will go up over the next week since (not offense, you guys are great people <3) not all of us are quite so crazy-obsessed to rush out and get it the first day, lol.

15. Zookie Monster says:

AWESOME! WOOT WOOT!
    I actually haven’t gotten mine. Walmart didn’t have the deluxe and Target ran out :(

16. I’m sorry I ddin’t get to go to a release party. I really wanted the Blu Ray, so I had to wait for morning at Target. There were about 20 people waiting outside for Target to open, which I thought was pretty cool. Most of the people waiting were all my age or older (40!)

Hopefully when New Moon comes out on DVD the Blu Ray will be available at midnight too.

17. Woo hoo! Way to go everyone that’s awesome. =)

18. that makes me really happy. i’m sure that it’s gonna sell a LOT more still, but the fact that it did so well the first day is great! maybe those twilight haters will start to take us more seriously now. =)

19. That is awesome! Good job everyone, even though that’s not really surprising seeing how there were almost 2,000 people at the store I was at at midnight!

20. It amazes me how some people seem to still be surprised by the power of Twilight fans! Guess we showed them again. (:

21. I can’t wait to get mine from Borders.But I’ll have to. A big thumb up for all Twilighters!

22. Mine isn’t here yet… I preordered it from Target. I’m impatiently waiting…

23. cristy_702 says:

WOW!! That’s great! :D

24. I barely bought mine today.
    Our Target was SOLD OUT!
    We had to drive up to Walmart for a simple DVD…mine didn’t even come with extra special features. :/ Poop.

25. I bought mine from Target and am thoroughly enjoying it :D

26. Julie M. says:

This is awesome. Way to go everyone! I’m glad my money went towards the $3 mil for them. I’m also so glad to be a part of this wonderful Twilight community!

Sugary Giggles-I would recommend the Target version. Lot’s of cool extras!!

27. Yeah, we rock! ;)
    If you click on the press release it lists the 4 DVDs that are ahead of Twilight. Transformers?! Really!? :P
    I bought the Target and the extras are fabulous.

28. lovemesomecullnes says:

I just realized that the Target dvd has a 3rd disc. What kind of features does that 3rd disc have on it? I might have to go out and buy that one…even though I’ve already gotten the regular 2 disc dvd.

29. The Target third disc is AWSOME!!!

I’m so glad I bought that one!!

The third disc has an interview with Stephenie Meyer, music: the heartbeat of twilight, becoming edward, becoming bella, vampire kiss montage, Edwards’s Piano concert, and the video for bella’s lullaby remix. I think that’s all the extras.

The lullaby remix video and the Piano concert are MY FAVORITE!!!

The Target Version was the best buy in my opinion.

30. thurd disc: it has an interview with Steph, an interview with Rob about what he did to become Edward and one with Kristen about how she became Bella. There’s a segment about how music is like the hearbeat of movies and it talks about some of the Twilight music, there’s a “Vampire Kiss montage” (which is Carlisle biting Edward and Esme, then Edward biting Bella (that like Gothic scene) and Edward biting Bella in biology), and there’s Rob playing the piano (it’s called “Edward’s piano concert), and there’s this like Bella’s lullaby remix thing Catherine did with images/scenes from the movie and just like a remixed beat

31. wow I am definitely going to buy the Target DVD even though i already have two of the two disc ones. oh well one more can’t hurt right? :)

32. Wow! Go Summit! That is like a high score.

33. I am not surprised at all that Twilight was so huge. :) It deserves all of the hype! I don’t understand why people (the ones that aren’t insane Twilight fans, like all of us on here) still can’t see how big this fandom is.

Anyways, I still haven’t gotten mine; it’s coming in the mail tomorrow. I ordered it online a few months ago… But I’m trying hard not to irritate my family with the fact that I don’t have my precious copy of the 2 disc DVD yet. It’s not like I didn’t see the movie 13 times. :)

34. WOW! That is awesome!
    Now when New Moon comes out, let’s see how that ranks..

35. Now, if they’d released it in Aus at the same time as the US, their first day sales would’ve been even higher :)

Roll on next month when we can get ours *sigh*.

36. I love it. :)

37. emilypruitt says:

The third disk also has the much anticipated “Dark High Noon” influenced scene. In the “vampire kiss montage”. We see Carlisle turn Edward and Esme and then we see Edward actually act on his impulses he experiences in DHN. I have to say, it was quite unexpected and wonderful. Also the commentary on Disk 1, which has Catherine, Kristen, and Rob all together providing commentary of the movie is wonderful and hilarious and quite enlightening.

Definitely happy to round out my collection with the DVD but i can’t help but be expectant towards the first sneak peaks of New Moon. Please GOD let Summit grant this next project with an appropriate budget to reflect the awesome potential of our beloved second installment… <3

38. OMG! this is just the beginning… wait until it comes to all the world

39. Rachel A. says:

I am proud to say that I did not spend more than $1.50 on the Twilight movie. It was a piece of junk. I will not buy the DVD. But, I already know that NM will be better. I wish the Twilight DVD was selling well because it deserved to. Oh well…

40. I am so bummed out! I just went to target to get it on blu-ray and they are sold out :(

41. i’m really glad to hear this :)
    i’m still waiting on my twilight dvd from target in the mail….i can’t wait any longer!

this twilight phenomenon can only get better :)

42. third* sorry haha

43. Wow, that’s pretty high. My mouth literally drops when I read the heading. Very impressive.

44. Rachel A., your opinion is not shared.

45. has 3 million usd sold for the DVD ?? and it’s just in US and only for first day…TWI-HARD IS ROCK…

i have not buy the DVD, but i will, so, i guess it’s comes bigger and bigger right ??

i hope summit really keep their finger on the saga, new moon and eclipse should be priority…
    YOU HEARD THAT SUMMIT…..

46. I’m very happy with these numbers ! TWILIGHT IS MOSTLY LOVED BY WOMEN AND guys won’t even touch the movie isn’t that sad ?
    I’m happy that alot of women were able to put up these numbers !!!
    GREAT JOB TWILIGHTERS !!!

47. swellbells says:

Rachel, I have to disagree that Twilight was a “piece of junk”, though I do agree that New Moon will be better.

Remember this is a *fansite*….

48. I’m so glad I ended up going to a release party. I had really not thought about going to one until I heard that there was a possibility of a celebrity being there. so i went to the hot topic at woodfield mall in chicago. I saw a sign on the door that said “filming may occur” and when i went by FYE, also one of the locations, there was nothing there. Then, the guy working there kept hinting at it like crazy. Then, there were like four or five cops out there for like the whole afternoon and evening from what I heard. So, I swore that Nikki was going to be there. Then, at 8:45pm, I found out that she wasn’t. I was upset, but I still had a blast. Thank God I pre-ordered though. When I went to Target the next morning, the only thing that they had was blu-ray. I don’t have a blu-ray player! I’m not surprised it has sold so many copies. For a movie that made over 70 million dollars in the first weekend and something that has such a huge following, I expected big sales. I mean, look at how the Breaking Dawn numbers were. Just from that I knew this would be huge.

49. Twilight Nymph says:

This is awesome. Hopefully this will make Summit cough up some more cash for the sequels. Yet it’s amazing that in total we almost managed to buy as much as Twilight made the first three days in theaters.

50. Twilight Nymph says:

Forgot to mention, although I love Nemo as a movie. I agree with Freakin Loon, let’s bring the Fish down w/ New Moon. LOL

1. […] -source-  Email This Post Tags: Summit Entertainment, Twilight DVD You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. […]