Stephen King on Stephenie Meyer

Having been misquoted ourselves, and having had things taken out of context oursleves, we are curious to see the entire interview in full context when it comes out this weekend. Right now the edited version leaves out the full context of Stephen King’s comments.

Comments

1. that link is leading to a blank page…just me perhaps?

2. ugh what a jerk! i respect the fact that he has an opinion on Meyer’s writing abilities, but i think he could have said it just a tad bit nicer =/

3. Wow! Someone would want to consider getting off his high horse. In all fairness I’ve read Stephen King’s books and although entertaining, there not exactly anything to right home about.
    It’s really unprofessional too for him to write off (excuse the pun) other authors. This has always been a problem with him though. He always speaks his (narrow) mind!
    Also I can’t help but feel that there’s undertones of jealousy in the article snippet. He seems to be jealous of her success and the success of the Twilight movie (something one of his film adaptations has yet to achieve).
    I shall be interested in reading the rest of this article soon to see what else King has to say for himself (or for others as is usually the case with him)

4. Kiki Alice Cullen says:

Pha, Steven King doesn’t know what a real book was if it hit him the face. He’s just a bloody guy who is jealous of Edward’s good looks. *winks*. I don’t like him as a writer or a person so I am not surprised.

5. He comes of as someone who considers himself and elitist. He does some articles for Vanity Fair and in those he is just as narrow minded and condescending. It makes me wonder if there is anything in life that he actually does like?

6. if i happen to come across stephen king at fenway park this year, i can guarantee you that something will be thrown at him.

7. Oh, I’m so sorry, Mr. King, but I have never found your books to be good, though some of the stories are great. Stephenie’s Twilight writing is directed to young adults (The Host was better written, but the story just wasn’t there for me like the Twilight series). I’ve read all of the HP series and JK really isn’t much more advanced the Stephenie in the first two books. With experience, she got a bit better, as has Stephenie. I wouldn’t say JK is a GOOD writer, but unlike King she keeps me engaged and interested. I believe the King books have too much detail in them, prohibiting me from using my imagination, and which kills the book. Dead. Splat. Nothing resurrected in the Pet Cemetary either.

Soooo, while King has every right to comment and state his opinion, and because we have every right to do the same, I am stating that I think he’s a bit too smug for his twisted britches!

8. Twilight Nymph says:

Ok I agree, his comment were a bit rude. I mean I get it he’s a critic, but if Stephenie Meyer couldn’t write then her books would have never sold. I’m sorry but I don’t read books that are utterly stupid. I read books that have meaning and that can make one sentence describe a whole universe. Both J.K. and Stephenie have been able to do that. So, I don’t know what book King was reading, cuz I don’t think it was anything by SM. If he did read them then at least be a bit more courteous and say your insults in a less rudely manner.

9. how very unprofessional, its like you talking bad about ur coworker because they do the same job but differently! it makes u look stupid!

stephenie meyer is the best writer of this generation, king was like 20 yrs ago!

10. I do not consider King to be a literary genius, but he is obviously a respected name in the biz. I will say this about his writing though, it has NEVER captured my interest the way Twilight has. I do agree that JK Rowling is a great writer. I would guess that his differing opinions of Rowling and Meyer come from the simple fact that Twilight is from a girl’s perspective and Harry Potter is from a boy’s perspective. HP therefore has a much wider audience because it appeals to both females and males. The Twilight audience is limited to primarily females. Even I (I huge fan of Twilight) must admit that certain parts of the Twilight books were a little too “damsel in distress”.

Anyway, in my book, both Rowling and Meyer eclipse King.

11. Also, I cannot help but think that the only reason he would publicly criticize Meyer is that he is jealous of her undeniable success. Her books (all 5 of them) are still at the top of the charts…where are his? And who cares what he says, the numbers contradict him.

12. Hmm… true or not, King said what he did, and it was pretty explicit. I don’t think the editors could really misconstrue that.

13. Elizabeth says:

It’s unfair what’s he’s doing.
    The books he writes are really different from the books Stephenie writes and that’s because they are really different persons. (sorry for stating the obvious)
    What I mean is that even though he’s a good writer (i can’t deny that), he’s not proving to be much mature saying things like this about other author. He should respect Stephenie if not as a writer, at least, as a person.
    I know he’s not saying anything bad about ‘her’ but if he says something about her books well, they’re a part of her and he’s being really unprofessional saying things like that.
    And why does he compare Meyer to Rowling?
    They’re both great in what they do, in my opinion.

14. Actually, King’s novels have far outsold the Twilight books.

15. It’s not very cool of him to say that certain authors are terrible writers. It makes him sound petty and jealous. He is not the most talented writer in the world, either. I think Meyer’s stories are very creative and she has obviously affected a lot of people with the Twilight series and captured their imaginations. Isn’t that what a good writer does?

16. Stephen King is one of the best writers of fiction the world has ever seen. Feel free to disagree with me on this, but as you all are defending a series that is clearly written at a 5th grade level, I can’t really respect your distorted and slightly lower level of brain functioned opinions.
    Yes, Stephenie Meyer created a great universe, yes she is famous. Why? Because the reading standards in our school systems are falling at a hardcore rate and no one seems to object if middle schoolers and high schooler actually finishes a book, despite it being written at a 5th grade level, ruining the whole point of moving up in your reading ability. Stephen King is a great author who has enthralled generations of readers with his works. To the person who said that no movies of Stephen’s have acclaimed as ‘much’ as Twilight, obviously has never seen any of them. Shining, It, Cujo, Christine, Carrie, and other are part of our way of life. For example, “Redrum” and fears of clowns and the ever present paranoia of someone “Pulling a Carrie” at a local Junior Prom is ever present.

Twilight was a horrible movie and a mediocre book, having read the whole series and enjoyed them, before anyone questions my experience in the matter of Twilight, I Can say that it was simply a young adult book written at a young child level.
    It is simply escape fiction with a habit of self insertion since Bella is a plain character with the barest traces of an actual personality, expecting the female reader to insert her own traits when considering Bella as a character.

And yes, Harry Potter is written at a level anyone can enjoy, but is considered higher on the sophistication level as far as writing goes.

Stephen King is a respected name in the business because his work is considered valuable literary work of his time and will always be considered so based on the different books and the broad range of scope and the ability to keep the reader hooked and always give them an ending to keep them wanting more. Whereas Twilight’s fourth book, breaking Dawn made me want to rage at the lack of violence that the series was obviously building towards. It was a great story mountain… but it just had a cliff at the climax.

And don’t get all pissy over my opinion and hate mail me. It just proves me more right about who the series was aimed toward. Immature little 12 year olds who think that Vampires sparkle.

In my day, Vampires didn’t sparkle in the sun. They EXPLODED into FLAME.

Therefore, Stephen King > Stephenie Meyer.
    /comment thread

17. Don’t delude yourselves, dearies. Stephen King knows what he’s talking about.

Consider the misuse of a number of words, the bad editing, the overuse of adjectives, the chunky, awkward sentences, and the lack of proper plotting and characterization.

Just because you refuse to do a proper literary analysis doesn’t mean others can’t see what’s obvious.

18. While only a fan of some of King’s earlier works, I think he churns out far too many books now with too little substance. However as someone who has been in the industry for some time, it is his perogative to say what he will about his tastes in books, movies, etc. His fans may not always agree with what he has to say but he does have the right to state what he thinks. He has long been a Rowling fan and one can say that there is a distinct difference in the styles of writing between Ms. Rowling and Ms. Meyer. It’s all a matter of taste and personally I don’t find what he said all that unprofessional but a matter of opinion with regard to her writing style.

19. Erm, it appears Lindsey has beat me to it. Nice job elaborating. =)

20. Whatever! That’s all I have to say, I know he used to be fantastic in his heyday but now he’s just another author riding the coat tails of her and JKR’s success.
    I mean I noticed that his books are selling so many these days, he even branched out to write his overstated opinion in Entertainment Weekly.
    He’s washed up and to be quite frank I’m not really interested in what he has to say. He’s over opinionated and creepy if you ask me.
    He used to be on my favorite author list, but his newer books just have the appeal that his classics have. I find myself unable to get interested let alone excited, so why should his opinion on my favorite author matter?
    It doesn’t!

21. Devon061381 says:

King highly amuses me. He’s such a condescending, arrogant bastard. I tried reading one of his books once and promptly put it away when I realized it was crap and held no interest for me. Understandingly, everyone has their own opinions – it’s what makes the world interesting rather than boring and bland if everyone thought the same way; however, that being said, there is a tactful way to deliver negative comments, rather than being rude and nasty, as he so ignorantly displayed. And besides, who died and made him literary God to finger point other authors and make snide remarks about their writing ability and how/why they are successful? I care about his opinion on other writers as much as I care what Matt Damon’s political affiliations.

Stephenie and Jo are both great writers, and both have shown growth in their abilities with each subsequent book. I loved reading all of their books.

But, alas, not all writers can be as “great” as Stephen King and publish stories about a demented dog that goes around chewing up people to death or about a car who is possessed…ya know, because, those are just BRILLIANT story ideas, the likes of which are unequaled elsewhere…

*biting sarcasm*

22. Lunna-san says:

This kin dof comment is really unprofessional, unpolite. I understand he was asked and he probably answered what he thinks of Meyer’s books. I think he was quite unfortunate on his comments. It’s a shame read something like that. Not only because I love Stephenie’s books, but because he was talking about another writer. And Stephenie is not the only writer who has her work evalluated.

23. “And Stephenie is not the only writer who has her work evalluated.”

Exactly. Every author is criticized, and it seems neither Stephenie Meyer nor her fanbase are able to handle the criticism.

Instead of immediately stuffing fingers in ears and humming the troubles away, it would be more prudent for eyes to open and brains to begin working again.

24. Devon061381 says:

Quote:

Answer: Obviously, it is a truth universally known that standards have greatly fallen in our public school systems. We have your long-winded rant as perfect example of that, so I thank you for taking one for the team.

Quote:

Answer:

Since King is Literary Jesus, I’m assuming that it goes without saying that he shuns all use of an Editor. Unfortunately, the rest of the lowly writing world must utilize them. With that being said, I do concur that Stephenie’s editor seemed to MIA in some of her books; one would think that for so popular of a series, a publishing company would want to “get it right.” That being said, the errors weren’t so egregious that it detracted from the story for me. It was a wonderful series, and I definitely think the writing was even better in The Host.

25. While Stephen King has every right to criticize (just like anyone else), he should bear in mind that Twilight is to Stephenie Meyer what Carrie was to him: an unpolished first novel that almost didn’t make it to print because of self-doubt.

Writing takes practice. I doubt Mr. King would want critics carefully analyzing the structure and mechanics of Carrie because honestly, it wasn’t all that good, either. And yet it, too, became a huge hit. Oh, unknowable universe.

26. Ok whereas I agree that everyone is open to criticism, there are more polite routes to take.

I stand behind my whatever status, and whereas King is an accomplished author, it doesn’t mean his opinion is higher than any of ours.

While I am here again, may I add this little gem . . . Although I respect every opinion in this thread, if you are not a Stephenie Meyer fan, why would you bother commenting here?

Is it because you want a reaction from us?

Quite frankly, there’s a little saying I think applies to this conflict . . . To each their own . . . if you don’t like it, great, but leave those of us who do alone. We’re not hurting anyone.

And calling us all mindless 12 years olds is in and of itself immature, so in essence your really no better are you!

27. Devon061381 says:

I’m not sure why my comment is awaiting moderation, so I’m reposting it.

Quote:

Quote:

Answer:

28. King is no Gabriel Garcia Marquez so I don’t understand why he gets to say who is a good writer and who is not.

He can sit there and critize every writer he wants, just as long as he remembers he is not in a higher level than any of them.

True he has sold more books than Meyer but over how many years?

I thoght a good writer is someone who can engage the reader, who inspires emotions, hasn’t Meyer done that for millions? Just because teenage girls are the most vocal does not mean they are the only fans. I really wish people and the media would stop saying that.

29. Nostalgismiss,
    Did you even read my comment all the way or did you skim it? I am a Twilight fan, but I know when to draw the line when defending this sad excuse of pop-literature.

As an English education major, I am completely aware of what fiction would be appropriate to read for age levels and what levels I would deem literature.

As for maturity, I’m not one of the fans on this site calling King a “Bloody/old man” who is just “Jealous” of Edward.
    I mean really?
    Thats where I draw the line. You figure out as an intelligent human being where you stand.

30. somethingblue says:

As an adult fan of the Twilight saga and also a long time Stephen King fan, I am disappointed at his statement. Stephenie has never professed to be a scholarly author, but let me just say this, her work is certainly compelling enough to attract millions of readers. Additionally, I am certain thousands of new readers were lured into the world of books by Twilight, just as they were by King’s and Rowling’s books. There feats deserve some merit by anyone’s standards. It would seem to me that some common courtesy would not have been hard for him to muster. I am disappointed in him.

31. Anyone who says Stephen King is just jealous of Stephenie, or isn’t a good writer, and that by sharing his opinion is mean, needs to go take some painkillers and wash them down with sleeping pills.
    I’m a Twilighter but at least I can admit that Stephenie sucks as a writer, and she’s SO lucky Twilight is as big as it is.

32. and if I may add, to whoever said that in their day vampires didn’t sparkle they exploded, please excuse Stephenie Meyer for creating her own vampires and not going with the standard. Excuse her for being original.

Its Stephenie’s world, she gets to create whatever she pleases, get over it.

33. Ah, he’s just a senior citizen desperate to get some opinion out there because nobody cares about his writing anymore.

Hah.

34. Really unprofessional.

35. Ok I’m not going to say anything bad about Stephen King because he does have a right to express his opinion. But has anyone read the comments that people have posted? Some of these people are SO rude and degrading to Stephenie. I have commented several times back to some people but I can only do so much. Please respectfully defend Stephenie to some of these ignorant people. Some things that have been said are:
    1)Its great that twilight gets kids to read, but they DONT READ ANYTHING OTHER THAN TWILIGHT.
    2)Ms. Meyer clearly demonstrates her lack of knowledge about literature and the purpose of characters: characters are NOT meant to be created so that any reader could step into their shoes. Characters, as everyone that has a halfway decent education should know, are meant to be people, and nothing else.
    3)I find that the books are extremely anti-feminist
    4)Literature isn’t all about entertainment. It’s an art form, and while everyone has an opinion, I think most would agree Hemingway, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Nabokov, etc. are better writers than, say, Paris Hilton. Because they entertain, but there’s something deeper in their writings.

36. LOL
    oh. my. god.
    Has anyone read any of his “books” lately?? I loved Cell, but after that.. they’ve been getting a little too long and over elaborate. :/
    I think once you have some dude sitting there skeching for 40 or 50 pages.. that means it’s time stop and move on w/ the damn story. lol

37. Wow… every needs to just chill out. He speaks two sentences and your all willing to burn him at the stake. Stephenie herself has admitted she is not a great writer and said the one thing she would change about the Twilight saga is better writing. Although I do agree that the faults of the bad writing in the saga should fall more on the editors than on Meyer. She wrote a great story, and the editors failed her by falling asleep at the wheel. Does this mean the Twilight saga is any less enjoyable for most of you… no, the bad editing probably didn’t take away from the story for most people… but those that look at things from a different literary perspective, who have had proper grammar and spelling and editing drilled into them their whole lives… yeah, it did feel like hitting a speed bump in the middle of the plot every time we came across a missing word or read the word “glowering” for the fiftieth time. It doesn’t make us love the world she created any less, it just made it a lot harder to stay focused sometimes.
    Is Stephen King a literary snob? Yes. Has he earned this right over the last few decades, having been writing best-sellers since before most of you were even born? Yes… yes he has.

38. Gabrielle says:

First, ouch.

Second, he’s a critic. He’s allowed to give his opinion, whether you consider it rude or not.

Third, I consider Stephenie Meyer a great storyteller, but not a great writer. I’ve read better written books. However, her story was the one to intrigue me the most. And I can’t say her writing is atrocious because it’s not. It’s just simple but it gets the point across. Plus, it’s like a type of diary, Bella’s diary, and who writes great literature in their diary?

So in the end, is it the writing or the story that matters the most?

39. Looks like Lindsay and Sami have already got what I was going to say covered.

40. hmmmcullen says:

megan,
    don’t waste ur breath trying to defend Stephenie to these people. some people just have bad spirits and the have the need to belittle people who don’t fit they’re standard.

they’re probably the same people who think only 12 yr olds read the twilight saga, and if they’re sitting there picking fights with 12 yr olds than what does that tell u about them?
    I just feel sorry for them because they don’t get to experience twilight. they don’t get this wonderful escape!

41. The funny thing about Stephen King is that when he first came out as an author, many authors at that time, thought he was a terrible writer, but in due time his real talent shown through. Does he have a right to say that Stephenie Meyer can’t write. Absolutely! At least he is being honest. Why should he lie and say that he thinks she’s a great author, when he clearly disagrees with that. As many of you already know, MANY authors, not just Stephen have critizied Steph’s books, and it isn’t because they are jeleous, mean spirited, or trying to be hurtful. They aren’t trying to tear Meyers down. They are simply pointing out the flaws, that they as writers have found. You HAVE to understand, when you write all the time, when you study story theory, and or have read countless books on structure, you know exactly how a well developed story flows and when one doesn’t. This doesn’t mean that the Twilight Saga has no merit at all, but that it certainly needs work.
    Stephenie’s biggest issue though is the way she deals with negativity. No author likes to hear bad things about their works, but it is often those negative remarks that allow you to get back to the drawing board and reanalyze what you’ve done wrong and especially figure out what you can do to resolve those issues later on. This is how we as writers grow. Stephenie should look at those reviews and glean important information instead of telling everyone how hurt she is because of them.
    She is still a young writer and I’m sure she will develop further, if she allows herself to.

42. I can’t believe everyone is freaking out over Stephen King’s comment.

First of all, let’s get one thing straight:
    STEVEN KING IS A LEGENDARY CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN WRITER. HE STUDIED LITERATURE IN COLLEGE. LITERATURE IS HIS LIFE.

As for his comment, it was not rude, or out of context. Isn’t everyone tired of people sugar-coating things in interviews? His opinion is definetly true. I wouldn’t put it in those exact words, but they are true.
    Even though I am a HUGE Twilight fan, I know that Stephenie Meyer’s writing style (or lack there of) can never compare to J.K. Rowling. J.K. Rowling is another one that STUDIED EXTENSIVELY IN COLLEGE. IT TOOK HER YEARS TO FINISH HARRY POTTER. While SM may be entertaining, she’s no Zora Neale Hurston, Emily Dickinson, Maya Angelou, or Bronte.

Lets all accept the fact that Twilight is no literary masterpiece. It’s an entertaining book.

It’s like saying that Lil’ Wayne is a better rapper than Common, because you can understand his rhymes better and he’s more popular.

So please, before you all verbally attack someone that KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT, just accept his opinion. You have your opinion, sure, but it in no way can compare to the CRITIQUE of someone else with extensive knowledge and experience with Literature.

(sorry for the rant)

43. Did I read well? How could he say such a thing? I mean,how rude is that? I don’t want to be rude to Stephen King but how could he say that?
    I really busted a nerve when I read the article.

Stephenie has her own way to write and I think she writes beautifully.And I’m not saying this because I love Twilight.I really mean it because she’s fantastic and doesn’t need to have extremely rich vocabulary in her writing.She can write however she wants to and she doesn’t copy anyone.Maybe she doesn’t have the best writing style but that doesn’t mean she’s the worst writer.

I just wish Stephen King hadn’t compared Stephenie with J.K.Rowling.They’re both completey different.How much pain would it cause Stephenie if she ever happened to read that article? She already has to deal with those anti-Breaking Dawn.
    I wish people would just leave their rude comments to themselves and say whatever they have to say that’s nice.

This whole thing has deeply hurt me.
    I hope Stephenie never reads that.

44. Hold on a minute!! Stephen king is a great writer! THe last book of his I read ( 10 years ago) had so many F-bombs in it I had to wash my eyes out with soap after! Seriously, it takes talent to write F**k eight hundred times in only 350 pages, have it all make since and add to the story;}
    Love ya SM! you ROck! (I also hope you finish that other Twilight book… you know..the book that shall not be named!

45. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion… but he could have been a bit more professional about it. I lost some respect for Stephen King by reading that article.

46. I think everyone needs to get over SKing. So he doesn’t like SMeyer. Big deal. Honestly. Is he shaping your opinion of her? Of her books? No? Than treat it like worthless air.

Seriously. It’s an opinion. Not everyone is going to LOVE SMeyer. Not everyone is going to love her style. So there. Move on. He doesn’t like her but you do. End of story.

No need to hate on him. He’s not worth your time and comments.

47. L. M.- Too lazy to log in.. says:

Geeze.. Everyone is so mad…

I have to say, I have never read King, but he HAS been around forever- he must know something. I htink he’s entitled to his opinion. (though Pel, Alphie, that was a great stab at open-mindedness, but I really don’t think the context of that quote will change much.)

Maybe I’m a bad fan, but I’m getting a little tired of hearing about how Twilight is “a new classic”. Yeah, its good, great, maybe, but its nice to hear SOMEONE with a non-zombie-like view.

Yeah, it was rude, but there is something to be said for being blunt sometimes.

48. I’m going to play devil’s advocate. Stephenie Meyer can create characters that we all fall in love with and a world we can truly thrust ourselves into. But her writing quality isn’t astonishing. She is most certainly not a five star writer. But I don’t love her and her books because I think the writing is good. It’s average. I love her books because somehow she made me fall in love with a story and her passion for the characters shines through the pages.

Stephen King is a legend. He’s also a little above average.

49. Stephen King is entitled to his own opinion. He can say whatever he wants because I really don’t give a sh*t and neither should Stephanie. I’m not going to tear Stephen King down because I’ve only read one of his books, Carrie, and I’m just not a fan of the horror/thriller genre. The only things that irks me is that he waited 4 years after Twilight was published to make his comments. Why didn’t he say this back in 2005? Why is he waiting now? If you dislike something say so from day one don’t wait until years later to comment.

50. Mel — He probably wasn’t asked about his opinion on day one. ’cause it didn’t really matter. >.>;