Twilight Tuesday

MTV has an article talking about Twilight and Harry Potter bands. For our part, we still don’t know what all the fuss is about.  It’s not a competition. You can like both, either, or neither.

When MTV probably does a blog post later, we’ll edit this entry.

Larry Carrol is back (Oh Larry how we have missed you! Larry took a break to be with his wife and new baby. Congrats on being a new dad!) and has an interview with Jackson Rathbone, who plays Jasper in the Twilight movie.

Comments

1. Some of that Harry Potter music was really good. Those artists should get signed…I wonder how that works out with property rights and all.

2. Yes, HP was my first literary love…The first series I went crraaazy over…but by no means the last :)

3. JulesCullen says:

Thanks to the Lexicon for reminding us that it isn’t a competition. I’m a loyal Potter fan and Twilighter- one isn’t better than the other, they are both just great books in their own way.

4. I agree… Its not a competition… Its not even comparable in my opinion (Twilight is SO much better )

=P

5. (Sorry, I forgot to finish it O.o)

Continued: I never got into the Harry Potter books… I’m more of a HP movie person… But I’ll probably try again… Maybe >.>

6. 94 days!! eeeeeee!!! ahem…I think SM should have written more about Jazz in the books, sexy empath who always knows how you feel about stuff…damn that Alice. :P

7. Hi, my name is Carla, and I’m a Jackson-holic.

Everybody: Hi Carla!

8. Harry Potter was my first book-love. Twilight is my current book-love. They both hold a special place in my heart, and I would never compare the two.

On another note… I so love Jackson!

9. I hate how the media tries to make out that there is this huge fight between Harry Potter fans and Twilighters. Most Twilighters like both!

10. JulesCullen says:

Yes! He said he’s signed for all three movies! Wait… all three? What about the fourth? Breaking Dawn?

11. JulesCullen says:

Oh, and can someone load the video of Jackson onto Youtube for all of us Canadians and other international people?

12. Yeah i totally agree! It’s not a competition at all. it’s all getting kind of annoying really. HP is AMAZING and Twilight is AMAZING! so there you go we can love both. My walls are actually covered in HP but soon it will be HP AND Twilight!

13. omg jackson is so cute, he’ll be perfect as jasper!!

14. Is this up on you tube yet?

15. i knew there was a reason i loved Jackson Rathbone :)

16. There is no competition between HP and Twilight.
    I personally love Twilight more, but it’s just me. Some people like both, some only HP or Twilight.

Jasper is so cool! <3

17. Number 1 Twi-hard says:

Jackson! I love Jackson, I think he has such a good grasp on who Jasper is. I’ve been amazed at some of the things he says about Jasper, things that I’d never seen but are very true. And it’s great to have Larry back too!

18. Nikki, you worded it perfectly. It really isn’t the blood sport that the media is making it out to be. There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking both and there really is no competition. I know people that like both and people that are exclusively potterheads and people that are exclusively twilighters and that is fine. Though I’m starting to get a bit annoyed by the potterheads that bitch and moan about twilight because of the movie move. It was just summit showing how much they really care about their fans by taking advantage of WB’s idiot move.
    And I also have to say that Jackson is adorable. ^_^

19. Team Twilight (formerly known as Twilighter) says:
  20. ‘Twilight’ is sort of like the ‘Hannah Montana’ of literature,” Carpenter explained to MTV News. “If you’re outside the 14-to-16-year-old age range, you might listen to it, and it might get stuck in your head, but it’s not good literature. It’s not really enriching your life the way ‘Harry Potter’ might.”

OH PLEASE!!!! *thumbs down* such a horrible statement. it makes my brain rot just reading this. I like harry potter too, but damn… if anything… it felt kiddy and childish compared to twlight.

21. ilovesickmasochisticlions says:

i love jackson and jasper!!! he is so cute!! the perfect jasper!! and i also agree with everything that Number 1 Twi-Hard said! so true!

22. I’m so excited that he’s saying he signed on for all three (hopefully four) movies!!!

23. I love both series and both music genres. Everyone needs to get over themselves about the whole division and comparison stuff. Two DIFFERENT books. Two DIFFERENT loves. that’s how i see it.

24. Forever Vampire says:

I love Jackson! He’s the perfect Jasper!

25. Every time I hear anyone ask the cast members about future movies in interviews and such they always say 3 movies. Have they decided not to do breaking dawn? I mean, I know the next two aren’t set in stone until the first comes out, but they’ve already signed the actors just in case it seems. Anybody know?

26. As far as we understand it, and we could be wrong here, at the time the actors signed to do Twilight they were signed to a pretty standard industry sequel clause that would pull them in for three movies.

It’s the kind of thing that appears in contracts in general: movie plus two potential sequels. Usually, you don’t in general sign people up for more than that because a lot of performers don’t want to commit so much of their life to one project. It’s the way a studio can afford to have a star back( a la Pirates of the Caribbean) if a movie really takes off and someone who was a B-list star is now an A-list star.

It’s also why a lot of movie ending are a little open-ended so that a sequel potential is there, and the talent is signed to a repeat if the project is then greenlit. One example of where this worked was the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Another example (if anyone but me saw this movie) is the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Script wise the ending set up for a sequel, but the movie flopped at the box office and no sequel was made.

27. Ash- to answer your question about record labels, they were approached a bit over a year ago. But they all turned it down because they believed that they should remain “free” and that that media can’t control them.

And also, Alex Carpenter is extremely nice…please don’t hate!!

28. They definitely cast an alert, smart and lovely guy for Jasper, makes me think there’s a lot more there than I was paying attention to. I like hearing you guys who already caught on to the very steamy potential of Jasper.

Also, speaking of paying attention, was I the only one who noticed that some commercials suddenly showed up inside the MTV Twilight Tuesday videos? This and many of the press releases in the last week or so make me visualize some crusty guys suddenly having $$$ in their eyes since comic-con.

As for Harry, that story is so different from Twilight that I find it hard to compare. I guess its only if you’re thinking of phenoms, or the fact that both have fans that connect with each other, and love the books and their world, would you compare them.

29. Twilighter Fanpire says:

I love Jackson Rathbone he’s just so into his character and knows everything. He even has the accent for pete’s sakes!! He’s mannered and his answers are all well thought out and has sort of an aura that makes you feel calm. He’s the perfect Jasper in my opinion and I can’t wait for this movie!

30. I <3 Harry and the Potters.

31. I heart Jasper Whitlock Hale. Jackson Rathbone is exactly what I pictured. I really hope he gets to tell his story in the Eclipse movie. So those movie makers better get crackin, we still have to get through New Moon too.

32. I’m tired of the HP vs Twilight thing as well. It’s really not all that necessary. I love Harry Potter AND Twilight, and I don’t like it when people criticize either one.

We HP fans had to deal with so much criticism, especially when it came to the books and religion. Now most of those same HP fans (who were usually deeply offended when someone talked bad about the series) are coming out and trash talking Twilight AND Stephenie. It’s ridiculous.

All this Twilight-hate actually made me lower my visit rate to most HP sites. Many comments are rude, very insulting to the fanbase, and are just plain horrible.

33. cullengirl1 says:

I totally agree, it is not a competition between HP and Twilight. I wish the media would stop try to provoke a feud between the two.

34. I don’t think there should be a competition between the two series because because they are soooooooo different and they both are AWESOME!!! But I agree with cullengirl1, that the more the media mentions this type of competition between the two the worse it gets. I don’t think that some HP fans should be mad about Twilight becoming a movie because Twilight has millions of fans too and it has the right to become a movie. I love Harry Potter to but Twilight just has more of a special place in my heart.

I think that Jackson Rathborne plays the perfect Jasper Whitlock. And he’s really hot too.

35. Devon061381 says:

(re: Jackson) Mmm. He looks good. I mean, REALLY good. Hey everyone, come see how good he looks! :)

And I must say, even though he seems to not like his hair for the movie that much, it is VERY SEXY. I have to keep myself from destroying my Twilight calender by NOT drooling over the hot picture of him with Rob and Ashley. He is yum-tastic, almost up there with RPattz.

Also, I haven’t laughed as hard as I did today when reading about/watching the coverage of wizard rock. It was hysterical! It’s awesome, yet extremely funny at the same time, especially with the dude that was rocking out on stage dressed up like Voldy! hahaha wow. Loved it! We definitely need more Twi-rock representation than the 3 or 4 bands out there.

36. Devon061381 says:

Oooh I forgot this. I love how Stephenie has started a book/music phenomenon with book signing/touring – it looks like Meg Cabot is joining the club but taking it one step further by touring for her next book with a Cabot-book-themed band! It’s too bad she said ignorant, nasty things on her blog about the Twilight Series and Stephenie’s writing, but then turn around and swipe her ideas. “Princess Rock” anyone? ;-)

37. I thought that Meg Cabot and Meyer did a book together? Is that not true Devon?

38. they definitely did a book together! Prom Nights from Hell!
    and i love meg cabot!!! she’s awesome. I havn’t heard any of these “ignorant, nasty things.”

39. Mary Alice Cullen says:

I’m a ture heart Twilther.
    Love You Jasper!!!

40. Why does everyone always compare Twilight and Harry Potter? They’re so different, and I love them both for different reasons. What’s the point in bashing one or the other?

41. Oh yeah. And Jasper rocks!

42. Kimmygirl says:

Honestly, I have personally never compared the Harry Potter and Twilight series. I love them both and I don’t see why there has to be so much talk about the two fan groups arguing. Most Twilighters read the Harry Potter series first and loved it. I think the way the media is talking about it makes it worse and gets people to write bad things about the other series.

Also, Jackson is soo fine. His eyes are gorgeous and it seems like he really understands Jasper and I think he will do a great job in the movies. :)

43. That was really cute! I like Jackson; he’s adorable. Beautiful crooked smile too!! Just LOVE him. =]

44. YourFavoriteAries says:

Jackson! AHHHH!

Omg, FINALLY!
    *sigh*

I love him.

45. YOUTUBE someone?
    Why do I have to live in Canada????

46. Team Twilight (formerly known as Twilighter) says:

I put the youtube link up but it says “Your comment is awaiting moderation.” Does that happen to all the comments or just mine?

47. Team Twilight (formerly known as Twilighter) says:
  48. Team Twilight (formerly known as Twilighter) says:

I put it up again but it still says the same thing! I’m sorry! I found it on youtube by writing “twilight tuesday Jackson Rathbone.” I hope that helped :)

49. Frerard Addict says:

WOO Team Jasper!!! Yeah! Finally. :p
    you know I gotta say that I was a tad disappointed that there wasn’t much of Jasper in BD. So this vid totally made up for that, lol. I looove Jackson, everything about him!

50. vampirearist says:

Jasper’s my favorite character! I loved it! I hope the next twilight tuesday is with kellan lutz.

1. [...] the original post on Twilight Lexicon Share and Enjoy: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and [...]