Billy Burke Interview

Billy Burke, who plays Charlie Swan in the Twilight movie, gave us a very candid interview. Thanks to Billy for taking the time to talk to us, and thank you to Cocoa for acting as our interviewer.

Some highlights include:

"I tend to gravitate towards characters that carry their damage in their hip pocket."

"I don’t think there’s anything he wouldn’t do to make Bella happy and to have her back in his life."

"If I were motivated only by a desire to please everyone, I’m sure the result would be pathetic and I’d probably end up guzzling bleach in my trailer."

Billy’s speaks candidly from the heart using language that is stronger than previous interviews, and language that is stronger than what appears in the Twilight books. The interview is a strong PG-13.

Comments

1. iluvedward says:

i thought of charlie as fat hes a potty mouth dang but im from utah so i guess that thats a little different 4 me he doesnt seem very happy idky but he doesnt thanks alot cocoa

2. twilight_obsessed says:

i luv the way he says things. it’s definatley different from the other interviews. the others were kinda trying to make a good impression and show us how good they were for the role. but Billy said what he was thinking and basically said “if u don’t think i’m good for the part, screw u, cuz i’m Charlie whether u like it or not.” and i think he is absolutely Charlie!!! go Billy!! :)

3. wow he’s so cool!! I love how he expressed himself, he’ll be the perfect Charlie for sure!

4. Gabrielhound says:

I love this guy!! He’ll be a great Charlie! He doesn’t try to prove anything, he’s Charlie, that’s it!!

5. BILLY…I know you’ll never cross paths with my comment, however your interview was a breath of fresh air for me. It’s difficult being in my 40′s loving the series and having to put up with ‘teen’ careful dialog in every site. It’s getting on my nerves actually. (I mean there are adults buying and reading this book!-, and YES I do belong to TwilightMoms, still.. it’s not a site geared for adults either.) So my friend says, ” OH.. he’s so young for Bella’s father.” I kind of gave her a look out of the corner of my eye.. and said, “Umm he’s too young to be YOUR father, Bella is 17 remember?” Moral of the story, we really don’t see ourselves as parental figures to the young cast, we kinda have the hots for the Vampires. Ugh. I’m all confused.
    So..Billy… a note in ending, you’ll be great as Charlie, hey you didn’t get enthralled in the book, but you have his ticket. You are on the mark.
    Look forward to seeing you on the big screen.

6. I love him as Charlie! I think he’ll be great! And, I think he has a great sense of humor! “I’m your dad” ha ha! I can just picture that!

7. this guy is so cool and so laid back he will be a great charlie i can just see him giving Bella “the talk” if they make eclipse into a movie
    thanks cocoa!

8. Great interview and answers, I love how candid Billy is. He is so refreshing and REAL with his answers and I can’t wait to see his portrayal of Charlie. PS Billy: I have a feeling that on some tiny inside level, Charlie knows about the Cullens and LaPush pack too!

9. haha I love him! He’s so honest and it’s a very refreshing interview to read.
    He will be a great Charlie.

10. ivy_marsden says:

Eh, he’s all right.
    I think that appearance wise, he’s perfect for Charlie.
    Also, he’s really honest, which I always pictured Charlie as. But in my mind, Charlie’s not that outspoken. And I can’t imagine him cursing that much (except in his mind at Edward, of course!).
    I’ve never seen him in any movies or TV shows, so I can’t really comment on his acting. But I do think that if he’s a good enough actor, then he can come through as the shy, super clumsy dad that we all know and love.

11. ivy_marsden says:

LOL! After reading some of the previous comments, I just thought I’d add that I definitely can picture him giving Bella ‘the talk’!

12. Edwards Singer says:

For apperence he’s alright. He looks a bit young to have a 17 year old daughter but I still support him and all of the actors.

13. Look out here comes charlie haha lol!!!!!!!!

14. Besides the fact that he is totally HOTTTTTTT, I wonder if he thinks we are unhappy with him. I loved the interview. Thanks Cocoa

*Billy, as soon as I found out you were playing the role as Charlie I thought PERFECT. Not only do I pick you over Dennis Quaid, but I even prefer you over SM’s pick on her website. You are the Bomb, man. My #1 pick.

15. Crystle says:

Hehe! I love this guy! XD

I love that he doesn’t sugarcoat everything for us, nor does he answer untruthfully. He answered these questions in a way I would never expect any other actor to. Its awesome!

He’s going to be a great Charlie, I’m sure. He’ll bring something different to him, something I’m definitely going to be looking forward to :3

16. Ha…He made me crack up.
    Very good interview.

17. TeamRobert! says:

Loved the interview!

Just wanted to mention: Stephenie Meyer’s holding steady at 82% on the Time poll, and Rain has dropped a percent! She’s still in third, Spears is still ahead of her too(ugh).
    So don’t forget to keep voting guys!

18. TeamRobert! says:

I just found a modeling video of Ashley Greene here:

19. that’s the best, most honest answered interview yet. that guy is bloody awesome. i love people like that, tell it like it is. he’s going to make a fine charlie!!

20. HAHA! What a legend. I love this guy – he has personality. x]

21. i think he is perfect- dont you see him running off as a gorgeous teenager and getting married right out of highschool?! thats what happened- why should he look like the typical old – not necessarily unattractive- but… not attractive dad that most people picture… he’s great ;)

22. Great charlie! Love his volcabulary lol

23. Billy Burke? He’ll probably do very well in his portrayal of Charlie. But in real life, he sounds like the quintessential stuck up jerk. He can be blunt, up front, in your face and to the point without using profanity and offending, or worse yet influencing, some of the younger Twilight fans. His lack of class and intelligence is transparent through his use of such juvenile profanities. Yeah, he’ll do well in the part as Charlie, but he’s far from "cool".

-Please remember that we did alert you as to the mature content of the interview prior to your reading it.  And that there are far fewer cuss words found in this interview then your average YA book or PG 13 movie.  Personal attacks such as calling him unintelligent, or a Jerk  are uncalled for.  He was kind enough to give us this interview.  You are more then welcome not to like what he said, but you are not welcome to insult him here.  ~Cocoa

24. i agree, Twilight Fan Forever… it was a little obnoxious…

25. hm…
    well I completely despise Charlie in the books, I think he’s an crude and vile (Eclipse really brought that side out), so I’m not expecting to like him in the movie.

Not sure if I really like the actor either, hard to say until we actually see his acting.

26. Twilight Fan Forever says:

For anything I said that was construed as a personal attack, I apologize to all as that was not my intent. It was my opinion, not a personal attack. If you actually read what I wrote, you would see that I said he “sounds like” a jerk. Stating that someone’s lack of intelligence is transparent in using profanity is an age-old proverb that doesn’t specifically call someone unintelligent, merely that he lacks the vocabulary to use alternative words. Also, I didn’t say I didn’t like what he said, only HOW he said it. Additionally, I did say he would probably do well in the part, which is a compliment. What I stated was opinion.

27. The Twihard says:

To the Twilight Fan Forever:

Yes, “lack of intelligeng” does mean that someone is unintelligent. That was VERY rude for you to say that about Billy Burke. So someone uses a couple of cuss words, it’s won’t be the end of the world.

28. The Twihard says:

“Lack of intelligence” is what I meant to say, I’m typing with one hand.

29. Melissa says:

Oh sweet, Billy was on 24 too? Awesome!

30. Sara Marie says:

Haha. That was quite…interesting. I’m glad he stayed true to himself and didn’t try to kiss butt to the fans. I absolutely loved his message to the fans. I quite agree.

31. HAHHAHAH THIS GUY WINSSS :D :D

32. mysterytay says:

The Twihard: Obviously Twilight Fan Forever apologized for any offense. I don’t think it is necessary for you to get on his/her case. They stated that they did not mean to insult. How can you know what they were thinking? To Cocoa: Even with a warning in advance, I kind of agree that a young adult book site should be kept to young adult language. Thank you for the interview though. Overall it was a good interview. Twilight Fan Forever: I totally agree.

It is interesting that you are responding to Twilight Fan when actually you are the same person, exact ip and email.  Please refrain from creating multiple accounts to try to prove your point.

~Be My Escape

33. pinulia says:

I loved this interview the best so far! He is honest, not Hollywood! There is no BS to weed through with this guy! I think he will be perfect!

And I really hope all the fans read that last part, it is true! This movie has already shown progress, it will never be the book, and it will be it’s own life and beautiful I am sure!

34. catherine says:

HAHAHA! i LOVE him!
    he’s perfect :D

35. jovib1029 says:

He is nothing like the Charlie in my mind personality wise but thats why they call it acting. I’m sure he’ll do a good job.

36. I’m REALLY happy that I didn’t find lot’s of “he can’t possibly be Charlie!” messages!
    I love him as Charlie! He may not be totally prepared to play Charlie and maybe he hasn’t read 2 1/2 books, BUT he’s honest about it!
    I’m really happy with Summits desicion to cast him :D

37. “It is interesting that you are responding to Twilight Fan when actually you are the same person, exact ip and email. Please refrain from creating multiple accounts to try to prove your point.

~Be My Escape”

owwneeeddd.
    ^^

38. Danielle says:

I like him. I adore this personality. He is nothing like the Charlie I had in my mind. But I can definitely see him playing him. I am really happy with the decision of casting him. Plus, he is very handsome.

39. mysterytay says:

Actually, we’re having a sleepover and fighting over who gets to post next. Delete us if you must. We’re just fans with opinions. Not owned, honest.

40. Not only is he pleasing to the eye, he is delightful to the ear..My kind of guy..Can’t wait for the movie..everyday it gets harder..

41. L. M.- Too lazy to log in.. says:

When one thinks about Charlie- a single hard-core fisherman, living alone in a small town, I cn easily see Billy playing this part. I don’t know how many single fishermen most people know, but let me assure you; Typically they do cuss, and are every bit as honest at Billy is.

And about not reading hte books; Charlie probably wouldn’t, you know. * Shrugs * and it sounds like he has the charecter down pretty well.

( ‘Gargling bleach’ LoL! Me too, Billy!)

42. The interview could have easily been posted without the language by paraphrasing some of his answers, but then it would not have given us a true picture of the actor’s personality. Like it or not, that’s who he is. That said, I appreciate the warning about his language before I read the interview. We all now know what you mean about the PG-13 language, and we can choose to read or not to read. (English teacher here – I cringe when these words are used so easily. But that’s MY problem, not his. Unless he ends up in one of my classes! lol)

LOL! I hear you Shelley. We debated on what to do and we thought the warning would suffice and took the *** editing to what would have been done in a standard entertainment magazine. We figured it was the easiest way to balance possibly offending people and keeping the integrity of the interview.
    Pel

43. I don’t care much about his language but he seems like a laid back person and umm..hes too hot to be Charlie!

44. well he’s colourful but he seems kinda angrey. the look is dead on. but i think chrlie was more caring that billy.just my opinion

45. seraphicullen says:

He is still the perfect Charlie. :] Despite the language and all.

46. AirBearCullen says:

that was pretty cool. he’s so real. that is the exact mentality/personality i invisioned charlie with, even though billy is just an actor. he will be great! i really liked how he was just himself, and didn’t feel the need to act (pun intended) for the fans. i’m so excited for the movie!!!

47. MareBear says:

Hey guess what, you don’t have to like someone as a person to like them as an actor! Isn’t THAT a great revalation! Just take Russell Crowe for example…

So, once again, let’s all callllmmm down and just see how he actually does in the movie!

Have a good weekend all! :)

48. “Hi I’m your dad”???????????????????
    that made me laugh. a lot.

49. “Hi, Im your dad” like him already!

50. haha I love him xD I lol’ed at a lot of parts xD