Billy Burke Interview

Billy Burke, who plays Charlie Swan in the Twilight movie, gave us a very candid interview. Thanks to Billy for taking the time to talk to us, and thank you to Cocoa for acting as our interviewer.

Some highlights include:

"I tend to gravitate towards characters that carry their damage in their hip pocket."

"I don’t think there’s anything he wouldn’t do to make Bella happy and to have her back in his life."

"If I were motivated only by a desire to please everyone, I’m sure the result would be pathetic and I’d probably end up guzzling bleach in my trailer."

Billy’s speaks candidly from the heart using language that is stronger than previous interviews, and language that is stronger than what appears in the Twilight books. The interview is a strong PG-13.

Comments

1. silly beautiful oversensitive girl says:

aweosme! a new interview!!!

2. Thayet1231 says:

yay! I love new interviews! thanks so much…you guys spoil us :P

3. I love him as charlie

4. silly beautiful oversensitive girl says:

but he doesn’t sound like charlie to me….

5. even though the language was rough, that is kind of how i depict Charlie [even though he is protestant].

I liked the message to the fans though. He is very true on that aspect.

Is def. a different interview that the rest of the cast. He holds nothing back.

6. He is going to be fine. He doesn’t really need to read the book to get the character… i mean. Really he knows it. You can tell. He is a bet crass but i think it only makes me love him more.

7. haha he’s funny :D

8. Elena Cullen says:

haha…I just read the interview…I like Billy Burke….he is very down to earth ;) and somewhat colorful :P Thanks~

9. Elizabeth says:

The last part he said I Totally agree with him.I think he is going to make a pretty good Charlie.

10. Sara (Yes theres more then one of us) says:

Lol, I like him- and he does remind me of Charlie!

11. wow, that’s charlie for us. he’s pretty upfront, i like him! at least he’s being honest.

12. twilightroses says:

that was an awesome interveiw! billy is going to make a great charlie

13. Hahaha I like him. He’s great. I love the way he’s talking. He just says what he thinks and he doesn’t care if people like him or not.

14. littleyellowporsche says:

that was a great interview and i feel like he will be an amazing Charlie!

I also LOVE his message to the fans! i think we all need to read that!

I loved how “colorful” he was too! it made me laugh!

15. Dancergirl says:

Thanks for the interview!
    He’s going to make a great Charlie. :)

16. Fatimeh. says:

what a cool guy..

17. He wouldn’t sound like Charlie because he ISN’T Charlie! Just an actor. Anyway I love Him! We have a lot in common. He really is a cool guy. Awesome interview!

18. That was the most entertaining interview I’ve read so far. I love how everything he says is so frank and unedited. Nice to hear someone really speaking his mind. haha, he seems really cool and honest. Plus he seems to really get Charlie. Charlie’s not such a pivotal role that he NEEDS to read the book and research the character like we all wanted Rob to do as Edward. He looks exactly like Charlie to me too. :)

Thanks for the interview!

19. That was a great message to the fans. I wish someone said that sooner.
    Yep, he’s a little rough, but I think he has Charlie down. Also, his ruggedness could bring a new angle to Charlie we haven’t met before.
    Never heard of you before this, but your awesome Billy!

20. I think he’ll make a good Charlie…I just hope he doesn’t talk that crude in the movie. I mean, have we ever heard Charlie swear? Other wise I think he’s great. I LOVE it how he first “intoduced” himself to Kristen. That was great.

21. Anonymous says:

WOW! That was really weird…..i hadn’[t pictured charlie like that but i guess it could work somehow.

22. A bit crud, deff doesn’t sounds like Charlie but I can some how see him as Charlie. Can’t wait see how the movie turns out.

23. Haha I love him! He’s pretty much amazing. Also I love his message to the fans. I think its something more of us should listen to.

24. he’s soooo funny
    he’ll be great as charlie

25. haha he’s really funny!

26. Ha. I love his blunt sense of humor, reminds me a wee bit of meself. “Drink bleach.” Billy is awesome. ;)

27. Bella has got a hot dad, makes you wonder why did her mom leave him?

28. I just read the interview, and I must say, I am a little disappointed with him. I though he looked the part, but…I hope he doesn’t bring his own personality into the character, because his personality is NOT the way I pictured Charlie’s personality to be.

29. brittany says:

Sarah- he won’t push his own personality on the role.

That’s why it’s called ACTING

30. I love how honest he is. It was refreshing.

31. Gasp!! Such language!! Oh well, I curse sometimes too. I try not to do it too much, though.

Anyway, I think he’ll make a great Charlie. And its nice that he is being honest. He’s also really funny!!

Thanks for the interview!!!

32. “Hi, I’m your dad.” ROFLMAO omg that was to funny XD

wow, he really tells it like it is doesn’t he? he deffinately not one of those actors who tells you the bs you want to hear but what he really thinks. while his personality made me raise an eyebrow at points i still think he’s going to be a great charlie. :)

33. Haha, that’s my new official favorite Twilight interview.

34. twiholic says:

that was interesting, every other interview that we’ve had has been people who are extremly excited to be apart of the movie, he’s just like meh, another gig, oh goodie. haha I approve of him even if it was not what I expected

35. Mary Alice Cullen says:

That was mean when he said that he doesn’t read the books and said a bad word. I hope he will be a good Charlie. :(

36. blonde bella says:

i love how he looks but not reading the books makes me a little scared and what was with the whole i think he already knows???? i hope not!

37. Not at all what I expected but very refreshing for an actor to not feed everyone the words they are supposed to say or that they know they want to hear. Its nice to hear from more of the actors. I hope there are more to come! (I really hope someone does an interview with Elizabeth Reaser sometime in the future! )

-More interviews are comming soon.    ~Cocoa

38. hehe I like him :)

39. lol okay if you take out the language (with thank you TL! I have babysitting little kids so I was able to shoo them away before reading it), I think that he’s a great Charlie. Charlie seems rough, deff doesn’t like to read, and whatnot and Billy Burke just seems just like Charlie. Of course he won’t cuss int he movie, he’s acting for one and I don’t think cussing is in the scrip.

LOVELY JOB TL!!! Thankie Cocoa!

40. Jamie Jean says:

he is so frigging CUTE.!

who ever thought Charlie was going to be so hot.!

41. Hahaha… she thought i was a stalker…LOL

42. behappyhewhispered says:

Lawlz…”Hi Im your dad!”
    Kristen mustve freaked out.
    lololololololololololol

43. Lexibelleb says:

xDD Poor Billy, Kris thought he was a stalker.
    I love him. He’s one of the few actors who speak their minds instead of trying to please everybody. He’s going to be fantastic.

44. melissa says:

billy burke is PRETTY COOL.
    the cussing got a bit annoying but w/e.

and if new moon is made into a movie,
    he’ll be great in the scenes where
    charlie gets all huffy when bella’s with edward.

45. Hahaha, I love the “Hi, I’m your Dad!” part.

And I think Billy is just very frank and open. He’s honest, and honesty is good. They’re all actors. They could be the very antithesis of honesty if they wanted to, and we likely wouldn’t know the difference.

But Billy was honest and opened his heart to Cocoa and all of us fans, and I respect that, coarse language and all.

46. Saiyachick says:

Without a doubt Billy will make a great Charlie :) I like how is very blunt and upfront with things. Honestly, I’d rather have the truth than have someone blindly say that everything is sunshine and puppies. Didn’t know if anyone mentioned it, but there is a curse word in the first response from Billy. I don’t know if you meant to *** it out. It is a**. So yeah. I didn’t mind–I mean come on. No one is perfect and that rough attitude will be great. Much luck!

I left that one thinking the way it was used it wouldn’t be too offensive to people who don’t like language since it was a description and not calling someone the word. Hope that makes sense.
    Pel

47. Cynthia says:

Well that was interesting.
    Definitely not what I expected but I think he respects Twilight enough to try and make Charlie believable.
    I mean give him a break, he atleast started reading Twilight.
    lol.
    I just also thought I should take the time out to remind everyone about voting for Stephenie in Time.
    I mean seriously…Rain and Britney are beating her out.
    Not cool!

48. Claire Ateara says:

I think he’s pretty cool. Like someone said (too lazy to scroll back up and look, lol), he’s not really Charlie, he’s an actor, just like Rob and Kristen and everyone else. But I think he’ll do a good job, and am glad he’s honest.

Billy Burke, you have my support! :)

49. Claire Ateara says:

Hey, you guys, VOTE FOR STEPHENIE ON THAT TIME 100 THING!!! She’s losing to freaking BRITNEY SPEARS! We have to put a stop to this!!!

50. Isn’t it kind of funny that Bella’s parents in the movie both were bad guys on 24: Nina (Sara Clarke) and Gary Matheson (Billy Burke). It’s going to be hard for me to take those two people as the sweet and naive. Nina was the ultimate twist, exploitig Jack and CTU. Matheson abused his family and murdered his wife. It’ll just be interesting to see them in Twilight. They’re actors so I’m sure it’ll be good, it just made me laugh

1. [...] The Lexicon has a Billy Burke Interview April 5th, 2008 The Twilight Lexicon has an interview with Billy Burke HERE.  Please be cautioned that there is strong language in the interview. [...]