It’s Official, Eclipse Knocks Potter off the Top Perch

USA Today is reporting that Eclipse in it’s 10th day of release has knocked Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows off of its number one spot on the USA Today list.

Once again, we love Harry Potter and don’t wish any ill will to JK Rowling and her fans. Also, once again, no one is trying to compare the literary merit of the two books, especially since they are not in the same genre (HP=hero’s quest vs. Eclispe=romance) other than they are primarily directed to YA fantasy readers.

On the other hand, this is quite a sales accomplishment.  It has taken other novels much longer to do this than it has Eclipse.

Also as a reminder, please keep all comments relevant to this post. If you want to talk about other items, or ask a mod an off topic question, use our forums.

Pel

I want to make a point that this is the USA today list and not the New York Times best seller list.  We’re still waiting on the latter.

Alphie

Comments

1. I love Harry Potter, but still…. SQUEEEEE!!! Stephenie/Eclipse/we did it! :D This is so exciting!

2. That’s amazing! I wonder how some die-hard HP fans feel about this?

3. This is awesome!
    I personally do not like HP, so it’s even cooler for me

4. when people wprk really hard it all pays off at the end!!
    and now the Eclipse is in the spot light. THAT IS GREAT…..

5. emilyinforks says:

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS!!!! I’M SO HAPPY FOR STEPHENIE!!!!

6. OMG!!! GO Stephenie Meyer!!!! I bet Alice saw this coming!

7. wow. thats amazing. i never woulda thought that would happen. its just. wow.

8. That is AWESOME! Congrats to Stephenie!!!

9. This is a very good thing indeed. I never expected to knock HP down from the very, very top like this. Awesome news! I know Stephenie must really be excited, much congrats, you deserve it!

I commented after the short article, and I think more fans should do the same. A good many of the commenter’s are taking the ‘teen vampire romance sounds dumb’ stand – and of course are completely ignorant to the beauty of the series.

10. Lonely Moon says:

Happy Day for Stephenie!!

11. This is awesome! Finally knocked Hallows of in first place! WOOHOO!

12. Um, all that means is that the HP fans bought their books as soon as it came out… You know, the book that had like 12x as many copies printed as Twilight? I mean I love love love the books, but it’s not THAT big of a deal, in my opinion.

The same buying trend has happened with all of JK Rowling’s Books since The Goblet of Fire. So we stand by our original claim, because this hasn’t happened so soon before. Also of note is that in other years it wasn’t a YA novel knocking Potter off, it was "adult novels" or non-fiction books. This is the first time it was knocked off by a YA.

Pel~

13. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the coolest thing ever!!!!!!! i have never read the hp books but people that have and read the twilight series say the twilight series is way better!!!!!!!!

congrats stephenie!!!!!!

14. Cool!

15. yay!

this is awesome!

i bet stephenie is happy ;) and she should be!

16. Heart Song says:

This is so great! An outstanding book with well concieved characters and depth is finally on top.

I’ve enjoyed HP but always found it lacking.

Way to go Stephenie!

High fives all around.

17. klutzy_albino says:

I knew it could do it.
    Congratulations Stephenie!!!!!!!

18. Copper and Sunshine says:

Who wasn’t expecting this? I knew it was bound ot happen. I love HP and all, but in many aspects Twilight/NM/Eclipse are all infinitely better to me. Some things about HP I like more (like the fact that there is 7 books in that series. I’d like to read about Edward and Bella for seven books… or forever), but the Twilight books will always be my favorite. So, seeing as how I know many people who think the same way, it was no surprise to me that we managed to nudge HP out of the number one spot. The books are just THAT good. Good job guys!

19. Copper and Sunshine says:

Oh, and I’m excited to see how the positions may jocky back and forth over the next few [hundred] weeks. :]

20. Dancindiva12 says:

this is AWESOME!!!!! Go Stephenie Meyer and Eclipse!!! I knew we could do it! HARRY WHO??? :D

This is no suprise, though. These books are amazing and Harry Potter could never compare. I’m so exicting for eclipse, and the many other books Stephenie Meyer will write!:D

21. Dancindiva12 says:

:D :D :D :D :D

I’M SO HAPPY FOR STEPHENIE!!!!!

22. I say it’s a MARVELLOUS accomplishment for Stephenie and I’m thrilled for her! Regardless of what other books happen to be on the list, Eclipse has made the #1 spot and that says it all! You deserve every second of the success Stephenie :}

23. bandogirl says:

wow i am a hp fan. but i just finished twilight and can’t hardly stand not having the next book right now. what a amazing acomplishment for stephenie and all the die hard bella+edward fans. and i agree with rj1.u deserve every moment of ur success. congrats once more

24. Sa-weeeeeeet! That’s so awesome!! Yeesh, Stephenie Meyer is dishing it OUT! lol Wow, I bet she really knocked the socks off of some of the HP fans…Congrats Stephenie!

25. Harry Potter who? Seriously, my family got hooked on Harry Potter but there is no comparison to me. The love story between Edward and Bella, as well as the tangled relationships between Edward, Bella and Jacob, cannot be compared to Harry Potter. Nothing so romantic has ever happened in the Harry Potter books as far as I’m concerned. That’s what kills me every time I hear Stephenie labeled in the young adult fiction category. This books has me and my friends, all grown up women with children, melting and crying and yelling and cheering and wishing and loving.

How many people can pull so many emotions out of one book? Very few! Stephenie Meyer is my hero.

26. pnai_lover says:

awesome possum!!!
    i like HP but idk how it became so big.
    To me it wasn’t that interesting.
    But anyway, congrats you u steph!!!

27. wow congrats stephenie. you and your characters earned it.:]

28. yay!!! i cant believe it! this is so awesome. my mom and i are split between the books. she likes HP and i, of course ;], love eclipse. eclipse earned it. stephenie’s books are incredible. i cant wait for breaking dawn :D

29. I’ve jut been introduced to Stephenie Meyer by my 14 year old niece. I found her engrossed in Twlight one afternoon. When I found out it was about vampires and told her of my interest in the vampire chronicles, I received my own personal copy the next day. I was engrossed and read the book in two days. I’m 56 years old and was extremely surprised how much I liked the book. I immediately ordered a copy of New Moom and read that in three days and then placed a copy on hold for the new release of Eclipse. I read that in two days! I have not read any book like this in decades. I’m a sucker for romance and love mystery, intrigue and a little sci-fi thrown into the mix. Move over Anne Rice and make room for Stephenie Meyers on my bookshelf. We have several copies of the books circulating around between family and friends. You have new fan base in Maryland. Looking forward to the next publication. I want to know what happens when Bella and Edward get married and when she becomes a vampire. I want to know what happens to Jacbo and if he and Leah become “imprinted” to each other. I want Jacob to be happy too! There are so many stories to be told for all of the other characters. I can see at least 7-10 more books that can be published. I can see Stephenie far exceeding the Harry Potter series because she crosses the age boundaries. I hope to get to meet her at a book signing when she comes close to our area in the near future. CAN’T WAIT FOR HER NEXT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

30. TheArtOfSarcasm says:

-maniacal laughter- YESH!!!!! This is so cool! I’m a huge fan of both books (such an HP nerd), but I’m definitely a bigger Twilight fan. Eclipse swept me off my feet in a way the HP7 didn’t and I’m so so so pleased with it’s new status on the list.

31. This is pretty cool! I’m excited for Stephenie!!!

32. yay!!!!! eclipse is also ranked number one on the wall street journal bestsellers today with harry potter in second!!!!! new moon is sixth, and harry potter and half blood prince is thirteenth! go stephenie!!!

33. Edwards Angel says:

AHAHA OMG!!!! ok when i saw the new the 1st thing that i did is call my friend I practicly screamed in to the phone that eclipse bet harry potter ….poor girl she’ll probably need a surgry for her eyear or something ..anyway we were bouth like jumping and screming and my mom was loking at me weird lol I still love harry potter, but nobody can resist Edward Cullen lol congradulations Sthephenie you deserve it!!!! hot hot!! PARTY!!! XD

34. Go Stephenie!! Good Job!! :D

35. I’ve been watching the NY times Bestseller…and on Sunday, HP’s weeks stats changed from 148 to 149…so it had to be updated. Why Eclipse didn’t get on the list MAKES NO SENSE. Perhaps NY Times didn’t want to acknowledge Stephenie’s sales? Do they have any control over that? But that’s a very paranoid thought. I’m so glad that we made it for Stephenie–she topped HP on USA TODAY! *woots* This is amazing news, naturally–and I have no compunctions against Stephenie topping Harry Potter sales… Stephenie needs the ego boosters! Thanks for reporting this, per usual :D.

What we think it is, (and let me tell you finding out exactly how the NY Times Bestseller list works is not easy there are countries whose state secrets are less secure), is that they don’t rank you until your book has been out a full week. So, given that Eclipse released on a Tuesday, and we think the sales totals are done being compiled on Thursday night,  that would have only given Eclipse a two-day rather than a week’s worth of figures. So, anyway that’s what we think it is. The Wall Street Journal and USA Today didn’t rank until after a full week so...

Pel

36. What great news!! I think what I like about both JKR and Stephenie is that they are normal women, both working moms, who have beat the odds and have been successful in publishing and writing their books. What an inspiration to us moms who are trying to balance it all!! (I am still amazed that Stephenie could write a book AND potty train at the same time–talk about multi-tasking!!) Congratulations!!

37. Chocoholic428 says:

NULL on fingernailsNULLr

Totally knew this was gonna happen =D
    Congratulations Stephenie!

38. wow thats really great, though im not exactly suprised :) Im a big reader of both. The women are simply brilliant. to twilight lexington: I have a really, actually, desperate question to ask. I tried email, but its not working :( but it is extremely important, and i just cant figure out how to reach anyone.

pelirroja_ljc@ yahoo.com just email me

39. *lexicon* sorry.

40. Congrats to Stephenie! I had to do a double take on my way to work this moring when I saw her picture right there on the front page!!! And to know that other people are buying “Eclipse” makes me feel a little less obsessive for already reading it 4 times : )

41. ravengirl23 says:

not really suprised.Eclipse was sold out everywhere in Az(Arizona)

42. W-O-W. And they arn’t even treating it like that. Several places in my town had midnight parties for HP. But none for Eclipse. They should.

43. pshttttt…….Harry Potter never had anything on any of Stephenie’s books!!! way to go!!!

44. Hellish Red Devil says:

That’s the most awesome thing since awesome came to Awesometown! Woohoo! :D

45. myfriendsthinkiamaddictedtoedward;*) says:

yea awesome

46. Bellafanatic says:

This is such great news for Stephenie and every fan and helper. Who can not be excited and hyped up about such success? I am sooo happy and proud of Stephenie. She is my favorite author and I will read ALL of the books she ever puts out. You should celebrate and buy yourself something special Stephenie, you deserve it!

47. that who is me says:

all i have to say is HELL F***IN YES

48. Nobody... says:

Er…
    Well. Um. Yeah. My inner twilight fan and my inner harry potter fan are battling it out at the moment. And, I think Harry is winning. Please don’t kill me. Major congratulations to Stephenie and all, but I might possibly be sad because Harry is over. It’s so amazing that Twilight and Stephenie are doing so well, but I wish we didn’t have to make it a competition like it seems to be.
    Oh, and to that person who said Eclipse is exceeding Harry Potter because it crosses the age boundary….well, I hate to burst your bubble, but…..no, I won’t say it.

Don’t mind the moody girl in the corner. She says well done Stephenie. And also politely asks that everyone not kill her, please.

49. Wow! This really is quite an accomplishment! That’s absolutely amazing!!! To have overcome the hurdle that is Harry Potter…Congratulations Stephenie! :)

50. Beth-Cullen says:

AW! Congratulation Stephenie! This is amazing!!! I’m so proud, lol. Like in New moon, when Bella was “As pround as a PTA mom” of Jacob for finishing his Rabbit. Thats how I feel!!! Congrats again!