Now that the film franchise is over, NextMovie has posted 10 lingering questions about the films that were never answered. As I (Lori Joffs) read through them, I realized that some of their questions were answered in the BOOK, but were not addressed in the films. So here are some of the answers to their questions. You can read the whole article at NextMovie.
Again… there be spoilers here!
Lots of spoilers!
1. First and foremost, when does Jacob start having sexual relations with Renesmee? When she turns 18, or just looks 18? Our heads start spinning (and our stomachs start churning) when we start to think about this one.
The fandom has tried to answer this question in the many many fan fics that have been written about Jacob and Renesmee. Unfortunately, no one but Stephenie Meyer really knows the answer to this! I have a feeling Jake will wait until she is truly old enough. But when you consider the answer to the next question, your stomach might not churn so much.
2. Despite her accelerated physical maturation, nothing is said of Renesmee’s intellectual maturation. Did she really learn to walk and talk and play the piano in a matter of days? This is starting to get really far-fetched.
Renesmee’s ability to learn is just as accelerated as her growth. If you look on page 529 of the hard back version of Breaking Dawn, you’ll see Bella reading a 3 month old Renesmee Tennyson… because she didn’t like repetition in her bed time stories. It even says she could speak with flawless grammar, but preferred to show people her thoughts rather than speak.
3. Why do all the vampires wear so many layers? We know it’s winter and all, but vampires are unaffected by the temperature. They’re all wearing coats and big, cozy sweaters – the Denalis are even in fur. Sure, we get that the vampires need to blend in with humans and it would be a giant red flag if Rosalie was walking around in a sundress in the snow, but still. It’s difficult to fight in a coat.
I think this is just a movie thing. The actors can’t freeze. And maybe the vampires like the feel of the layers. But the costume department has to do what they have to do, right? Consider that in the books the vampires wear very pale colors. If they wear dark colors, they appear to be even more pale which draws attention to how unnatural their skin in. Yet in the film, the vampires tend to wear darker colors so that the actors look paler. It’s a minor detail that bugged me at the start, but I decided I had to let it go because it’s a Hollywood choice. (I also have great resentment over the fact that Harry Potter’s eyes are blue in the films rather than green, but that’s a whole other story… and fandom…)
4. Speaking of attire, we’re assuming that Alice and Jasper ran from Brazil to Forks with the other half-breed and his aunt. Alice is the ultimate fashionista – why didn’t she make them put some clothes on?
Going even deeper into the costume dilemma’s of the film, I think they dressed the vampires to help show off their nationality as well as their life style. The Amazon coven is barely clothed. So if you argue – why can the actors playing the Amazons freeze to death but the Denali coven is covered in furs? I think it can be justified that the vampires who live in the wild will dress more animalistic. Where as vampires like the Cullens and the Denalis dress more human-like because they want a more human life.
6. Can Mackenzie Foy fly IRL? We don’t recall Renesmee being able to fly in the books, so maybe this was something they added after they discovered her hidden talent? Either way, Jacob may have some competition from those adorable “Chronicle” boys in the future.
That moment jumped out at me, too. No pun intended. I really think they meant to make her jump, but it did look like she could fly! No, Renesmee can’t fly. But she has similar abilities to vampires that allow her to run fast and jump high.
7. How did Jasper get such a recent picture of Renesmee for her passport? When he and Alice left, Renesmee looked decidedly younger than she did when Bella met with J. Jenks, but the photo on the passport looked like present-day Renesmee.
Actually, I think the passport photo looks like Renesmee when Jasper and Alice left. But if you read up in the Official Twilight Saga Guide, you will learn how skilled Jasper is with a computer. Given what mere humans can do with photo shopping, I’m pretty sure Jasper could age Rensemee enough to get her an updated pass port. In fact, in the book it’s J. Jenks that does the image altering. Check page 668 of Breaking Dawn.
8. The shelves in Bella and Edward’s cottage are stuffed to the gills with books. More stacks of books appeared to cover every single surface. Does Edward have a secret hoarding problem?
Again, this comes from reading the book. Edward didn’t decorate the cottage; Alice and Esme did. And Vampires do have a lot of books. Consider what Edward’s room looked like in Twilight. It was covered in music and books. When you don’t ever sleep, you have to find something to do at night. That is… until you get a vampire spouse!
Hope this helps fill in some blanks!