Video: Bill Condon on the Surprise Ending And Credits

If you haven’t seen Breaking Dawn Part 2, you probably don’t want to watch this quick interview with Bill Condon from the UK premiere. The director tells us why the film ends the way it does. Personally, it was the very VERY end that made me cry for the very reasons Mr. Condon mentions here. So once again, thank you Bill!

Comments

1. Mr Condon did a spectacular job with both Breaking Dawn movies in the Twilight Saga. I want to thank you for staying true to the spirit of the book. You really seemed to get what this series has meant to us fans. You are brilliant!

2. Elizabeth (EverythingRemindsMeOfTwilight) says:

I loved that he brought it all back to the books, which is where it all started, and that he gave us an opportunity really to say goodbye to all the actors and their characters. Very well done. Thank you, Bill Condon!

3. Did he say the twist, referring to the battle, was a joke? It has not been a secret since part of battle was in the trailers. The exact resolution/book reconciliation was something of a secret. The one used was one suggested and discounted as not possible, but they used it anyway. The very end of movie was very fitting and brought it back to book and SM dream. The end credits was nice tribute to all that had part in bringing to life the books.

4. Amazing job Mr. Condon!

5. Not my favorite of them. Twilight will be all time best in my mind. BD 1 and 2 not so much. But then was not huge fan of book. It was nice ending. I know I’ll get dvd when it comes out, but know it will not be watched as much as others. No idea why people say surprise ending it was in book after all.

• It wasn’t in the book because we only see Bella’s point of view and the ending is in Alice’s vision which only Edward, Alice and Aro would have seen.

• Twilight for sure is my favorite. I think a lot of the passion that Bella has in the last part of the book was lost or very very watered down in BD2. After she awakens as a vampire all she wants is Edward, then her daughter. Every time she gets near Edward or he looks at her a certain way she wants to pounce on him. It is constantly brought up in the book. BD2 was good I just wish a little more of Bella’s thirst for Edward would have been played out a little more. Such as when she awakens, or even when she sees the bed for the first time. In the book she doesn’t question anything she just pounces. Bella plays more coy in this movie instead of a lust crazed vampire.

6. Bill Condon did an amazing job on this film. He really looked at the novel and got it right on key. The twist he put in gave me a shock but really but some thrill in the movie. But the ending montage really made me cry. I couldn’t help but relive the memories of why I love twilight. It really does go back to Stephanie Meyer and without her this would not be possible. Bill Condon and Stephanie Meyer really ended this series on such a high and amazing level.

7. Bill Condon is a genius! Thanks Bill for your awesome adaptation, humility and hard work!

8. Chela Madison says:

Yes the meadow scene flashback, Rob’s delivery of the line “forever,” and the end credits (sort of like a big Twilight year book where we were seeing everyone for the last time (as far as Twilight is concerned)) is what got me crying. Such a sweet and fan-oriented ending. Great work, Bill =D!!!

9. Mr. Condon did an amazing job on the movies, and showed that the book could be turned into more than a music video with jump scene, clips, and hand camera moves. Wonderful job sir.
    I also agree that the fight scene was a jolt. No, it wasn’t surprise that there was going to be a fight scene. The surprise was what happened DURING that scene. I absolutely didn’t see that coming. The audible gasps and screams, and the woman next to me, who grabbed my arm, all the responses showed that he successfully created a jolting surprise that kept us on the edge of our seats, and jumping out of them.
    Thanks for the closing credits and Ms. Perry’s reprise of a Thousand Years. For me, that song will ALWAYS BE Bella’s Lullaby. Brava dear!

• I so agree with you. My sister and I went to the marathon and during the fight scene, I was in shock and trying to process what I was seeing and my sister kept grabbing my arm with each new event and I barely even noticed that she was doing that. The woman next to her kept saying over and over “I don’t like this”. Afterwards, I found it to be pretty funny. But not until afterwards as I was heartbroken until then. I too love Christina Perri’s song and found it was so appropriate and was all the music reprisals like Bella’s lullabye, Flightless Bird and a few others. Thank you Mr. Condon for treating our (I mean Stephenie’s) with respect. Best wishes to you and your future endeavors.

• The audience reaction was awesome. So glad I saw it with an opening weekend crowd! I figured it out and was SO proud of myself! Ha ha. So, I mostly just enjoyed it but seriously watching Seth be squished was NOT Okay!

10. A story was posted today on fanfiction.net that gives a really great book to movie reconciliation. The story is by Camilla10 and link is http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8716970/1/Seeing-the-Wolves. Her explanation has decreased my disappointment with the film a lot. There are still a couple of problems I have with the movie, but at least one of the three has been taken care of in a very satisfactory way. Thanks Camilla.

Glad to know that I misheard jolt in this interview. That first death was certainly a jolt.

11. Cian Gullen says:

I loved the ending. Some people I know said that the book was rubbish because there was no epic battle with massive mortality rate. I see why Bill went with the twist as it shows how good an ending Stephenie Meyer did.
    The whole movie was amazing an I can’t wait to see it again. The montage of Edward and bella’s relationship was beautiful and then crediting ALL actors involved in every film was so sweet.

12. Dazzled 4Ever says:

Why do Jasper and Rosalie have the same last name of “Hale”? Is that ever explained? I’ve thought about it briefly before, but seeing their names at the end of the movie really piqued my interest.

• Cian Gullen says:

They are pretending to be twins. Esme is supposed to be their aunt. I don’t know why they chose Rose’s surname instead of Jazz’s, probably because of the way Rose is.

• Rose was very connected to her last name, Hale. She never wanted to be a vampire, and hates that part of herself. She even said she’d give up Emmett to be human again.

Keeping her real last name was important to her. Jasper didn’t mind as much. He took Rosalie’s last name, Hale, to proceed with the false history; that Rosalie and Jasper are twins whose parents died. Esme is their aunt. She and Carlisle are their only living relatives, and took them in. They weren’t adopted by the Cullen’s. The Cullen’s are simply their guardians, and therefore, don’t have the Cullen last name.

Therefore, it’s ok that Alice and Emmett (adopted children of the Cullen’s) to date the Hale twins, because they are not siblings.

At least, that’s their story while they are in Forks. They change their stories each time they move. Sometimes Edward is Esme or Carlisle’s brother. Sometimes the other couples take off, and live on their own.

Poor Edward is the odd man out. Or was, until he met Bella. … sigh…. :)

Tah Dah!

• Elizabeth (EverythingRemindsMeOfTwilight) says:

It’s explained in the Guide. Rosalie cares more about holding onto her human connections. Jasper doesn’t care as much; and since they both look the most alike, it’s natural to go with what the surrounding humans would already assume. So Hale it is. :-)

13. I loved, loved, loved Part 2. The fight scene and what happened in between. IMO I was shocked. Everybody in the theater was shocked and we were cheering everyone on to get those Volturi and then laughed after it happened. It was like you just got punk’d. LOL

The end credits was awesome. I started to cry. Seeing every single character that was in each movie part of the end credits. It was great.

14. linda garris says:

I loved bd2. Loved credits. Jasper was my fav vampire(ecxept edward) until now. I love garrett- lee pace and benjamin- rami malek. Yes i looked up there bio’s. I think lee has the most talent in this movie but they all did a great job. Billy burke doesnt get the props he deserves either. He is quite convincing as bellas dad . Bought the all the dvd’s – watched bd2 @least 20x. Mostly for yhe fight seen and garrett. Omg in the theater people were crying abt jasper & carlisle- me too! And cheering when jane got it more than when aro goes down. Its a great distraction from politics and im glad these actors keep politics to themselves. I refuse to go to the movies of activist actors- limits me but idc. Id go see spin off of twilight – i yhink most of us would-agree?

15. linda garris says:

I loved bd2. Loved credits. Jasper was my fav vampire(ecxept edward) until now. I love garrett- lee pace and benjamin- rami malek. Yes i looked up there bio’s. I think lee has the most talent in this movie but they all did a great job. Billy burke doesnt get the props he deserves either. He is quite convincing as bellas dad . Bought the all the dvd’s – watched bd2 @least 20x. Mostly for yhe fight seen and garrett. Omg in the theater people were crying abt jasper & carlisle & cheering when jane got it.