Diane Kruger In Talks for The Host

Deadline New York is reporting that Diane Kruger is in negotiations to play the Seeker in the film adaptation of “The Host”.  Diane is known for the National Treasure films and Inglorious Basterds.  The part of the Seeker is essentially the villain of the story as she hunts down Wanderer/Melanie.  It should also be noted that Stephenie Meyer has stated in the past that should she continue “The Host” as a trilogy, the second book in the series would be called “The Seeker” and the third would be “The Soul.”  With the film being credited as the first in a trilogy, this could mean that whomever is cast as the Seeker takes on a larger role in the second film.

The film will star Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons and Jake Abel with Andrew Niccol as the director.  It is set to be released March 29, 2013.

Tell us what you think in the comments.  Can you see Diane as The Seeker?  And how excited are you for this new film trilogy based on Stephenie’s books?

Read more at Deadline New York.

Comments

1. I would not have thought of her, but yes, I could see it. She’s a fantastic actress.

2. Such a great cast for The Host movie!

3. Michael G says:

The Seeker in the book was “short” and homely. I like Diane as an actress. she will need to get makeup (or makedown).

4. Michael G says:

Diane is 5’7″. Saoirse is 5’6″.

5. Don’t see her as the character!

6. I always pictured Christina Ricci myself, but I do love Diane as an actress.

• Michael G says:

Good Call. Christina is 5’1″, dark features and freaky. She’s got my vote.

• I agree, I’ve just read The Host (started yesterday, finished today – couldn’t put it down!) and I pictured Christina Ricci as the Seeker.

7. I saw the seeker as more a Carrie-Anne Moss look from the Matrix. Either way, Kruger is talented, and cosmetic appeance can radically change.

8. I couldn’t care less what she looks like physically, as long as she can pull of the spirit of that character. That’s what’s important about the seeker, and Diane is more than capable.

• You bring up a good point. Many fans were upset at the casting of Kristen Stewart. However she has pulled off the character of Bella. No need to speculate on the merits of the casting for The Seeker. We can only hope the screenplay meets the spirit of the book. Thx

9. I don’t see her as the seeker. She’s too blonde and cute and the seeker definitely was not described as such. Her previous role in National Treasure doesn’t make me think of her as the seeker either.

10. The examiner has this quote from the book: “She was very small. If she had remained still, it would have taken me longer to notice her there beside the Healer. She didn’t draw the eye, a darkness in the bright room. She wore black from chin to wrists — a conservative suit with a silk turtleneck underneath. Her hair was black, too. It grew to her chin and was pushed back behind her ears. Her skin was darker than the Healer’s. Olive toned.”

Diane Kruger????? Pleeeze.

11. I’m a little concerned about the casting as a whole. Max Irons and Jake Abel look very young and Ian and Jared are described as being in their late twenties. And now with Diane in the mix, it’s cause for concern. I’m hoping for the best, but still concerned.

• CullenCoven says:

And Melanie is supposed to be in her early twenties, not in her teens.

• Michael G says:

CullenCoven. Melanie was not old enough to have sex with Jared when they first met and lived together. Go rent “Hanna” with Saoirse Ronan and you will see why she was chosen to play Melanie.
        Storyline
        Hanna (Ronan) is a teenage girl. Uniquely, she has the strength, the stamina, and the smarts of a soldier; these come from being raised by her father (Bana), an ex-CIA man, in the wilds of Finland. Living a life unlike any other teenager, her upbringing and training have been one and the same, all geared to making her the perfect assassin.
        Saoirse will be 18 years old in April of this year (2012). Can she play a wowan in her early twenties when they start filming for a release in 2013? I think so.

12. Jacqueline says:

I know if I like this choice for the seeker role. I mean I get why they would get her, seeing as she is very talented, but I can’t see her as the seeker. Just as i can’t see the other actors and actress they picked for the main roles. I don’t know about this cast. This will be one of those movies that I’ll have to wait and see. I sure hope I like it because i completely adored the book. Better than the twilight series, for sure.

13. While I really, really like her as an actress, I just don’t see her in this role. Once again, though I loved The Host more than I enjoyed Twilight, I will not be seeing this movie. I just can’t see this casting going any more wrong than it is already.

• Michael G says:

I recently saw a movie with Justin Timberlake… “In Time”. Since he played a super part in “Friends with Benefits” I figured In Time would be good. The premise of “In Time” was promising. A Dr.’s associate saw it and panned it. She said she and her boyfriend walked out in the middle of the movie. With that review, I decided to wait until “In Time” came out in the “dollar” theater. Turns out, almost all the cast of In Time was mis-cast. The dialog was predictable and un-emotional. I have read Host two or three times. It left me wanting to read “The Seeker”. Diane is not Wanda. Max & Jake are attractive but will they be believable? I will look eagerly for comments from those that see it before I do. Will it be worth $8.00 or $1.00 or DVD rental? Time will tell.

14. While she is not what I imagined, she will pull off the personality brilliantly. I really hope that the movie is awesome. I loved Andrew Niccol’s Gattaca, Truman Show, and Lord of War. You do have a misprint. The second book will be called The Soul and the third will be The Seeker. Also at the Breaking Dawn premiere, Meyer said that the outline for the second novel and some parts for each book have been written already.

15. Thanks NIC. I stand corrected.

16. Any info on The Seeker and The Soul? I would love to read more about the original characters in The Host, but the soul was removed from Wanderer’s seeker. She became Lacey in her human form, and she stayed with them. Hmmm?

• Well, Andrea…. welcome to the Frustrated Host Fan Club. So many questions, so little clues. Try reading the book again in a month or so. You will really be hooked.

• Couldn’t wait a month! I’m already reading it again. ;^)

I agree with what you said above about the casting for Twilight. There was disagreement among the fans about Kristen and Rob being cast as Bella and Edward. (I think I even read somewhere that Stephenie wasn’t very excited about Rob when he was initially cast.) I think we can all agree now that there is no way we could ever see anyone else playing their characters. (Seen the catfight, I mean discussion, in the other posts on the tv show debate?) I’m sure The Host movie will all come together – Stephenie is involved so I know the movie will stay true to the feeling and essence of the book. Isn’t that all we can ask?

In the end, any time you read a book it is a very personal experience. We all have our own take in our minds eye about how the characters and settings look. However, we hopefully do all take away the same experience of the essence of the characters, their feelings, and emotional journeys.

• Figured you would read it again. While you are at it, please confirm that Melanie is under-age when she meets Jared. Some fans are apposed to Saoirse Ronan playing Melanie because she, Saoirse, is a teenager. Poppycock.

• Yes, Melanie is 17 when she meets Jared, and he is 26 (this is explicity stated in the scene in Jared’s family’s cabin). Wanderer recalls later that Jared was too “honerable” to be intimate with Melanie at 17. So, we are to assume that he waited until she was 18 before they consumated their relationship.

Of course a few years pass in the meantime before Wanderer is inserted in Melanie’s body. From Jamie’s aging, I would say three years have passed before the actual insertion occurs. Then almost if not another year passes before Wanderer takes out on her trip . . . I don’t want to say too much in case someone happens upon this that hasn’t read the book . . .

• This should help us all clear up any confusion. A helpful resource for character info is on The Host Lexicon, http://www.thehostlexicon.com. There is a link to it on the “Twilight Links” area of the Twilight Lexicon’s page. The Host Lexicon has character biographies on most of the characters, and their ages are listed as of the END of the book. Per The Host Lexicon: Jared is 30, Melanie is 20 , Jamie is 14, Ian is 25, Kyle is 27.

Per the book, Pet is 16 and about to turn 17, but she tells them her age is 17 about to turn 18. (See my mention of age and “honorability” in my previous post.

17. This should help us all clear up any confusion. A helpful resource for character info is on The Host Lexicon, http://www.thehostlexicon.com. There is a link to it on the “Twilight Links” area of the Twilight Lexicon’s page. The Host Lexicon has character biographies on most of the characters, and their ages are listed as of the END of the book. Per The Host Lexicon: Jared is 30, Melanie is 20 , Jamie is 14, Ian is 25, Kyle is 27.