Next Movie: Who is the Best Twilight Dad

The Male Twihard blogger over at Next Movie just did a piece on which Twilight character makes the best dad.

“I am not a father, nor do I even pretend to know how to be a good one. (It involves owning a briefcase and knowing how to throw a baseball back and forth, I believe?)

However, I do know “The Twilight Saga.” So with Father’s Day coming up this weekend, I’m paying tribute to the dads from the series.

But who is the best “Twilight” dad? (Besides all of them?) Allow me to lay out the facts.

Charlie Swan, Carlisle Cullen, Billy Black and (future screen daddy) Edward Cullen are the men under the microscope. While everyone has their own ideas on what makes the best father, I’ve done some in-depth research (thanks, Ask Jeeves!) and these are the qualities most will agree on:

They should be of high integrity, but never high on other things. They should be able to provide for their kids, meaning they need some cash money — Benjamins, if you will. And a father needs to be responsible, offer guidance, and spend quality time with children. These are proven techniques that keep daughters (and sons) off the stripper pole.”

His analysis is tongue-in-cheek and hilarious. Check it out.

Comments

1. Carlise ftw.

2. Maya Cullen says:

Carlisle is the best dad of the saga!

3. Krystol says:

I couldn’t stop myself from laughing out loud! Humor aside, I have to say Carlisle because he is attentive and loving, though Charlie is a close second.

4. Jaileen says:

I think all are good parents, because they have a unique way to treat them according to the education given to them from little ones. Edward will be father in a few months, and I’m really crazy to see that moment. I think Carlisle is the best, besides Edward.

5. My $0.02 worth:

Billy can and will talk with his kids. But he (probably) cheated on his wife. Which will have a very negative on his children. So he is out.

Charlie doesn’t know how to communicate. Or cook. He’s out.

Carlisle knows how to communicate… but he’s at work. Or hunting. Or something. Think about it; he is always gone at work or, if at home, reading. He’s in his own little world much of the time. We see him talking with Esme once, on the baseball/battle field. And, is that it? No other times?? Plus, he appears to always be wrong in every decision he makes — a problem all the males in Twilight share.

Except Edward. He is *mostly* wrong, but not always. More importantly, he knows how to communicate. With Bella, not just the other guys. He can, will, and he does. Constantly. And that happy marriage makes for a happy family, and he is/will be an attentive father, as he also communicates == frequently and well — with Nessie.

And after all, communication isn’t just part of the relationship. Communication *is* the relationship.

• I would have to say you are wrong about Carlisle. He’s ALWAYS the one looking out for the well being of his family and even Bella. He’s the one who has always thought up and put together the protection plans for Bella and Charlie’s safety. So I’d have to disagree with you on that one.

6. Carlisle!!! Because he’s the most tolerant of them all ;-)
    Sorry Edward but you read your daughter’s mind which will be very a.k.w.a.r.d. when she starts liking Jacob ‘a little too much’, not to mention other things she could be thinking of….

• Brooklyn says:

I disagree because Edward of Renesmee could ask Bella to shield Renesmee’s mind. And besides like James said it is apart of communicating.

7. carlisle is the best dad

8. I laughed out loud at Carlisle’s bit under ‘Family Planning’ – “Randomly adopts children like he’s Angelina Jolie in a third-world country.”

I don’t think you can really choose any one of the Twilight dads, since they all have their ups and downs. I personally like Billy a lot, but as James pointed out above, there’s a possibility he cheated on his wife and had an illegitimate child, and that doesn’t make for a great family life.

• I agree. There is no “perfect dad” in reality either. Weather your dad was great or absent, there is not a single perfect father, mother, brother or etc. in all the world (real and fantasy).(Except for the One … if you get what I mean) No single earthly-being is perfect and I think that’s was makes it so great is that you all have different relationships and with our father. You can choose who is better but none will have a perfect ten.

• I’m still laughing about that line.

9. edwardlover40978 says:

i think Edward is going to be a great dad!!!<3 <3 <3 <3

10. Mr. Carlisle Cullen is the best father in the Twilight Saga n next in line is soon to be father Mr. Edward Cullen :D <3 xoxoxo

11. Carlisle of course! he really is the best dad in the twilight saga :)

12. Lynne Stringer says:

I think Carlisle’s the best. I haven’t experienced enough of Edward as a dad to make an accurate assessment of his fathering skills (it will be an interesting experience for Renesmee’s suitors to know their girlfriend’s father can read their minds! Hm!). And I’m not going to say Charlie, because he completely lost me when he congratulated Jake on assaulting his daughter.

• I would love to hear a story about a suitor picking up Reneesme and edward listening to their thoughts!!!! That’s so funny. Carsile is a great dad but i think Edward might just be a better dad. Just can’t choose between these two

• Lynne Stringer says:

Yes, Summer, I always think about Jake and what he might be thinking when Renesmee is grown up. You can almost see Edward sitting reading a paper and looking up at Jake as he and Renesmee are going out, especially if she’s wearing something particularly fine. What’s he thinking? Hm, he’d better not be thinking that ….

• CullenCoven says:

Think its a tie between Carlisle and Edward b/c Carlisle is a really good dad, and Charlie lost me at the same place, Lynne. But then Edward learned everything about fathering from his own experience and Carlisle’s in his mind. So its hard. And Billy let’s his son run around as a giant wolf and just about get killed by newborns. So yea.

13. Daisymay says:

This is one of the things I love about this series.  You got 4 families in different life situations all trying the best they can with what they have.  Part of the beauty is the different family dynamics and how, in the end they fit together.  One thing I dig about Charlie is that he seems to know Bella and trusts her, he gives her credit for having brains.  They are a lot alike. Carlisle believes in the integrity of his kids and trusts that.  Billy is doing the best he can and gives Jake independence  to to learn and grow.  I love what Edward says to Nessie about biting, and how grave he is discussing Charlie’s first visit. He is absolutely taken with her yet can be firm. :-)
     So, I don’t know whose the best. But those are the best things of each I like.
    Ps. The quote about Edward saying someone little being so annoying. Was about Alice. Wasn't it?

• smitten_by_twilight says:

Yes it absolutely was to Alice – it would have been cruel to say it to Renesmee. Hmm … advice that Edward gave to Renesmee … how about “It’s ok to bite Jacob”?

• I completely agree! That is one of the things I like about the series too and what makes it so hard to pick the “best” father. I have always thought Charlie was so cute and sweet as a dad. Doing the best he could with an almost grown daughter that he barely knows. But he loves her fiercely and it shows. I think we don’t really know what kind of dad Carlisle is because we don’t get to see a lot of behind the scenes. All of the Cullens look to him for guidance, so that tells me that he is always there for them and doesn’t usually steer them wrong, though he does let them make their own decisions and mistakes. Whatever Billy was or did in the past, I think he handles the whole son turning into a shape shifting monster thing pretty well! ;) Maybe we can just say, each dad is perfect for their own family! :)

• Jazz Girl says:

I won’t bother trying to improve on this because you said it perfectly.

14. I have to say while Carlisle is definitely a wonderful father, I would have to say for sure, Charlie. Reason being, that in the face of all of it, he accepted his daughter and granddaughter without question. There was no judgment, no fear, only the fear of loosing them. It takes a great father to be able to do that.

15. Chantel says:

This a hard one. They are all good in their own way. But for a vetern dad that would be Carlisile, then billy black, the charlie but my fav is and always will be robert aka edward cullen

16. Carlisle undoubtedly!! but i love Edward as a father too!!

17. Brooklyn says:

Edward because I’ve read the books and I know what he’s like as a father. Carlisle would be my second because he s very kind and friendly but can be fierce when he needs to be. But, sadly, Charlie and Billy tie for last becausethey don’t watch their kids as good as they should and could. I also agree with James.

Sorry didn’t mean to put this up their!!! My computer is not working the best right now!!

18. Michelle B says:

I think Edward is the best dad because of how natural he took to being a parent considering he didn’t expect to ever be able to have a child or get the normal 9 months to prepare for it. Edward was worried about Bella while she was going though her change but he still took the time to bond with his daughter and sang her a song she loved so much she showed the memory twice to Bella. He also started teaching Nessie and guiding her from the start. Carlisle is second because he really is the backbone of the family. He’s the one they all look up to and run to with their problems. Charlie and Billy are good dad’s who obviously love their kids but they do seem to make really big parenting mistakes in raising and guiding them . Charlie lost major parenting points with me when he cheered Jake on when he kissed Bella without her permission. He should have been furious that Jake took such liberty’s with his daughter and had a long talk with him about respecting women and being a gentleman. This talk is one that Billy should have already had with Jake .

19. it has to be carlisle and then defo edward ,he is so proud of renesmee!
    but i chose carlisle for his understanding !

1. Anonymous says:

[…] Fonte: Lexicon […]

2. […] Link: Twilight Lexicon » Next Movie: Who is the Best Twilight Dad […]

3. […] mas información: Next Movie | Via: TwilightLexicon y RPLW | Traducción: Saga Twilight Argentina | Vía TwilightFansEcuador Por Shell Craig, El […]