Hunger Games and Twilight on Annual Banned Book List

According to the AP:

” Suzanne Collins didn’t expect everyone to approve of “The Hunger Games.”

“I’ve read in passing that people were concerned about the level of violence in the books,” Collins said of her dystopian trilogy that’s sold more than a million copies. “That’s not unreasonable. They are violent. It’s a war trilogy.”

In what’s become a virtual rite of passage for young adult sensations, a Collins novel has made its first appearance on the American Library Association’s annual top 10 list of books most criticized in their communities. “The Hunger Games,” the title work of Collins’ series about young people forced to hunt and kill each other on live television, has been cited for violence and sexual content. In recent years, J.K. Rowling’s “Harry Potter” books and Stephenie Meyer’s vampire novels also have been on the association’s list.

“Hunger Games” ranked No. 5 this year and was joined Monday by Meyer’s “Twilight” (No. 10), which debuted on the list last year, and Sherman Alexie’s “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian,” winner in 2007 of the National Book Award for young people’s literature. Criticisms of Alexie’s novel include language, racism and sexual content.”

See more on the AP

Also visit the ALA site to see the history of book challenges

To quote our favorite slogan of the ALA, “Celebrate freedom: read a banned book!”

Comments

1. rhiannon says:

those people can go brooke themselves!! who are they to try and tell people what to read???

• They arent saying you can’t read them. The catcher in the rye was banned but it was at my school library and the public library banned books mean a teacher shouldn’t give it to the class to read

2. Amen, Rhiannon. Censorship sucks. In the U.S. the “freedom to read” is an inherent right in the First Amendment to our Constitution.

3. smitten_by_twilight says:

I concur heartily: read a banned book! Most of them are well-written and thought-provoking. Nobody ever seems to bother banning a truly bad book.

4. I know this is immature but…RE RE’S!

5. The Banned Book list is yet another useless list that nobody pays attention to, because those who ban the books don’t pay any attention to the books their banning. I could see Hunger Games being on the list, as while it is an amazing book, it is incredibly violent in a sadistic way, but Twilight… some people…

• rhiannon says:

some of the other books on that list. tom saye huck finn, catcher in the rye, snow white, great gatsby, etc

6. radiowidow says:

Every 3 years, the ALA publishes “Banned Books,” an updated listing of banned and challenged books. Rhiannon listed some – here are a few more you might find interesting: Little House on the Prairie, The Lorax (Dr. Seuss!), James and the Giant Peach, and Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus.

If you don’t care for something, don’t read it, but please don’t tell me or any member of my family what we can and cannot read. We can think for ourselves, thank you.

• You have got to be kidding me. My seven year old cousin has read half these books! What is wrong with these nutjobs?

7. Let’s all be rebels and read a banned book.

8. The problem I have with this group is the act like an overzealous group of religious fanatics. They have crazy wack standards in regards to books, and unless the book meets those standards, they want to put it on the ban list. I could seem some whackjob of a parent using this list to “miss”guide them in choosing material suitable for their children. It sort of reminds me of all the Harry Potter fuss that many of my fellow Christians went insane over. In the end none of them read the books, but still flaunted around that they were turning children into wizards and witches, and the ones that finally did, realized that the stories had many Christian themes and that the books weren’t that much different than Narnia and Lord of the Rings. I think parents should be educated as to what their kids are reading and I think that these lists could be useful, but having said that, the folks running it, need to have a bit a brains about them as well.

• radiowidow says:

Just to clarify, the group that publishes this list, the American Library Association, does not decide which books are on the list. They only report which books have been banned or challenged by others at schools and libraries in the U.S. and worldwide. And the list is small compared to what probably happens. The ALA estimates that as many as 85% of challenges to books go unreported to the media. Yes, there probably are people using the lists to keep their children from reading certain titles, but the overwhelming use of this book is by librarians and book stores to educate their patrons that censorship is still alive and well in this country. This list actually outrages most people I’ve met because they were not aware that so many attempts at censorship still happen today. In Wisconsin just two years ago there were people demanding a book burning at their public library. You are so right when you pointed out that the majority of people who want to ban books haven’t even read them! I also want to point out that the ALA sponsors a Banned Book Week every Sept. to bring attention to this issue and encourage everyone to celebrate their freedom to read what they want.

9. Yes, there is violence in the Hunger Games, but it teaches some great social pyschology lessons to young people such as: Group think, conformity, propaganda, questioning a dictatorship, doing what’s right when it is not necessarily the easiest thing, genocide, and the list goes on…. This is a story about love and relationships, that uses parts of our history, i.e. war, the holocaust. etc to not only develope the plot, but educate teenagers in a way that’s receptive to them. When will people learn that ignorance is dangerous. Let’s shelter our kids so that when they enter the real world they can make the same mistakes we did? SOUNDS LOGICAL TO ME!!! HA!!!

10. MariposaAlice says:

I think it’s okay for schools to ‘ban’ books based on content (like an elementary school banning Twilight..that’s totally fine with me!), but a list telling you what /should/ be banned? That’s kind of weird.

Btw, I haven’t read Hunger Games. I heard it was a war story….but how does it have sexual content? (as Twilight is as far as I’ll go with ‘sexual content’, considering they were married, and it was a fade to black sort of thing.)

11. I really want to read this banned book to see what’s the matter in it.

12. That’s bull crap. Their both good books, and yea, there’s gonna be some violence, like she said, the Hunger Games is a WAR TRILOGY. They don’t sit around and knit all day thike these people do. All of the books on there are like that for a reason. Who wrote this, two year olds?

1. […] at all that this book has been challenged since it hit the shelves. I mean, you can look here, and here, and here for examples. I mean, come on. Violence? Death? Gruesome murder and the fact that to […]