Carter Burwell to Return to the Twilight Saga With Breaking Dawn?

According to IndieWire:

Coen Brothers and Spike Jonze regular collaborator Carter Burwell is set to return to the ‘Twilight’ since working on the first film to perform scoring duties for the final installment of the series, the two parter “Twilight: Breaking Dawn.”

Burwell has an existing relationship with the director of the final two parts, Bill Condon, having collaborated on “Kinsey” and “Gods And Monsters” and will return to the position after Alexandre Desplat followed him for ‘New Moon’ with Howard Shore stepping in for ‘Eclipse.’ Shooting began this past November all major cast members such as Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Dakota Fanning, Michael Sheen, Anna Kendrick and Ashley Greene reprising their roles. The two parts will be shot as one project and will then be respectively released on November 18th, 2011 and November 16th, 2012. And in case you haven’t do so already, check out Burwell’s score “True Grit”; it’s ace.”

See the story on Indie Wire

We haven’t see this story appear any place else and the source isn’t cited. We are checking it out, but we might not be able to get a comment if the deal isn’t 100% signed off on yet.

Carter Burwell is the composer of the now well known Bella’s Lullaby cords that Robert Pattinson plays in the first Twilight movie.

Via KStewartNews

Comments

1. I think it would be a good way to end the sage, he was thee for the first and the last of it:) I think he did great in Twilight.

2. I’m really looking forward to the BD Soundtracks. I’m sure there will be 2 more Soundtracks for each BD movie. I have the other 3 CDs – they are so awesome. Each band on these CDs are sooo good. They’ve turned me on to a lot of indie bands you usually don’t hear on the radio. Thanks.

3. I would appreciate it! His music is soo exciting!
    I have all the 6 CDs and I love all of them, but the Score Cds more and more. :)

4. Shouldve been james newton howard, but carter should be quite a cool addition.

5. This is great news. I loved what he did with Twilight. I really liked the music from New Moon too, it was soooo pretty. I would’ve been ok with Alexander Desplat coming back. This is full circle now. I’m happy with it.

6. I hope this is true. His score is my fave of the three.

7. Amanda M. says:

Am I the only one who’s least favorite score was Twilight’s? I’m a little disappointed.

• You are definitely not the only one to be disappointed. What he did to Bella’s Lullaby was a crime! However, he did True Grit, and it was good. Also, maybe he’ll fix up the lullaby. Although I like the Twilight soundtrack, the score is my least favorite.

• EverythingRemindsMeofTwilight says:

No, you are not the only one. I HATE what he did with Bella’s Lullaby. It’s terrible and drives me crazy. I REALLY hope this isn’t true.

• I am with you guys too. I really did not like the Twilight score at all. I tried, the scores are so much more theatrical and serious in the last two movies. Twilight’s is, well, a little to cheesy for my taste. This last movie is almost like an epic, hopefully the score with reflect that and if he is doing it, can improve upon his last attempt!

• No, the Twilight score was my least favorite as well. I am a HUGE fan of Howard and Desplat, so perhaps I’m biased. :) I’m keeping an open mind though. and hoping for the best!

• You are absolutely NOT alone in this. Twilight is my least favorite of the three soundtracks.

8. Yeah, I like the Twilight score best, so I really hope that this is true!

9. Wolf Gurl Amy says:

His score for Twilight was phenominal! Definitely the best out of the three. It would be amazing to see what he can do for BD!!!

10. I like his sound. Can’t wait !! And I bet it will better then Twilight.

11. Awesome! I love the Twilight score and think it would be awesome to see him come back. He’s great at capturing mood, which is so important in BD. Woo-hoo!

12. I would love if they could get the New Moon score composer Alexandre Desplat to do the BD score.
    Although NM was not very favorite movie in the franchise, I enjoyed it and the score is beautiful and amazing, as well as the soundtrack.

13. Green Lily says:

Nooooo! His score is by far my least favorite. In fact, I dislike most of it. *cries*

Please, let this not be true!

14. I love the TW score so this makes me happy. I can’t wait to see what he does w/Breaking Dawn.
    I really hope they’ll have the small scene in BD w/Robward playing Bella’s Lullaby when Bella comes home from her secret dealings w/J. Jenks.

15. I thought the Twilight Score was all right, but by far my favorite was the New Moon Score by Alexandre Desplat. Like someone said, it was just so pretty and beautiful! But I guess Carter Burwell would be good. I’m curious to see how he does it this time. =)

16. I am so so SO SO happy about this!!! The Twilight score was AH-MAZING!! The New Moon score sucked majorly. Eclipse was good, but Twilight just blew me away. That was definitely one of things things that made the movie (apart from Robsten and Hardwick of course). I REALLY hope they bring back some of the Twilight score for this film. OH, and the True Grit score is phenomenal as well. GOOD CHOICE, I HOPE THIS IS TRUE!

• PS I don’t know how people keep saying they like the score of New Moon. It was so generic and boring and blah. Not at all young and fresh like everything else Twilight.

• New Moon CD was darker than the rest. Slow, dark, like Bella’s life at the time. I thought it fit.

• Joshua L. Roberts says:

In truth most movie score collectors found the Twilight original score by Carter Burwell to be one of the weakest parts of the movie. As a collector myself (I have close to 500 scores, if not more) I also found it to be lacking thematically and structurally vs. other scores of its genre. A score is typically judged on two levels: A. How it relates to the film. B. Listenability when removed from the film. Burwell’s score doesn’t really master either. It felt more like a direct-to-video indie film score, as opposed to a score for a stirring dark romance, of which is what Twilight is. I’m not saying that Burwell’s score is bad. It nowhere near as terrible as the scores created for the Underworld franchise of which is nothing more than glorified noise. It just doesn’t fit the needs of the story.
        Alexandre Desplate’s score is far superior in both structure and listenability. Howard Shore unfortunately opted to recapture the bouncy eraticness of Burwell’s score, of which hindered much of his genius for Eclipse.
        Maybe Burwell can create a better score for Breaking Dawn, but I have to say, seeing him back on board, doesn’t really thrill me…

• Elizabeth C says:

The New Moon score was far from generic, some of the layers are really complex and Desplat has some really sneaky subtle ways of referencing themes that’s really intriguing. His music just seems to apply so well to mood setting and shows real skill. Carter Burwell’s score was mostly layers of percussion, and when he attempted to do anything musical he stuck to simple chords or arpeggio patterns. Though I do give him points for his originality in score-attempts, Desplat’s I feel is the most successful in representing on-screen emotions, which is what a score should do.

As for the Eclipse score, that one I was disappointed in, if it had been anyone but Howard Shore who wrote that music it might have been okay, but comparing it to the other scores Shore has written it just seems to pale, like he wasn’t trying hard to do a fantastic job. THAT one seems generic.

17. I’d love this! Twilight had a really unique sound and I’d like to see Carter bring that back. I really hope this is true.

18. Nicole Jensen says:

Personally, I hope that this is just a rumor because Twilight’s score is my least favorite of the three. My favorite has been Desplat’s New Moon score. I think that they should get someone who hasn’t done any of the Twilight scores yet.

• EverythingRemindsMeofTwilight says:

I agree!

• i loved twilight score it fit the story better it had a mystical feel that was very enchanting it made a fiction story seem real with new moon and eclipse it lost that dreamy fantasy world kind of feeling and made it not so easy to believe in the story

19. I hope it’s true. Burwell’s score for Twilight was uniquely moody and evocative without being excessive or gothic. Magical, really. Bella’s theme, Phascination Phase, the opening with the deer in the woods… Burwell’s score is a good part of the reason why the first is still my favorite. (Another is Hardwicke’s fangirl passion that helped a relatively low budget indie film to be sumptuously atmospheric and Romantic – as in the movement, not just teen romance.)

Desplat’s New Moon score wasn’t bad, but it was kind of generic, as TV noted. Shore’s score was more interesting than Desplat’s and respected both earlier scores by subtly referencing them (it seemed to me). Also, the scoring for the scene with the newborns rising out of the water was perfect.

• “Burwell’s score for Twilight was uniquely moody and evocative without being excessive or gothic. Magical, really.”

…wow, VERY well put. That is EXACTLY what I was trying to say. And I 100% agree with you about Hardwicke, despite the fact that she seems to be controversial among fans.

20. I’m really amazed that anybody would choose Carter Burwell over more competent composers. Twilight’s score was one of the weakest elements of the film. The score repeatedly got low marks with every score review. His work for Twilight wasn’t bad, per say, but nowhere near what the movie Twilight deserved. He has some pretty wonderful moments, such as Bella’s Lalliby, but so much of it is incoherent noise (Nomands – Treaty Signing).

I have literally thousands of movie scores, and the music should not only hold true to the movie, but also be listenable on its own. As stated, his work didn’t fall into the blah pit as bad as the scores for Underworld (Red Tape anyone) or Rise of the Lycans, of which is 99.9% melodiless noise, but falls just below films like, Elliot Goldenthal’s “Interview With a Vampire” of which had some pretty awesome tracks followed by a lot of …eh…

I’m not saying I expected “Agnes Dei” for Twilight, but certainly think a more stirring simpler sounding score could have worked wonders.

Alexandre Desplate did a fantastic job with New Moon. His score was dark and foreboding, of which was needed to help sell the story of New Moon. I had wished Howard Shore would have used more of Desplate’s themes vs. falling back on the teen pop junkiness of Carter Burwell’s score. Howard is a genius, but Eclipse’s score was the first score of his, I’ve ever been disappointed in. I still hold his, “The Fly” score as one of the greatest “tragedy” scores ever. The track, “The Ultimate Family” and the “Phone Call” still gives me goosebumps… not to mention I listened to it all the way through reading New Moon. :P

• then you must have the lady in the water soundtrack yeh? I would think that kind of epic sound would be good from JNH. They even used very similar music in the making of extras in new moon, check out the bit at the end of set design, almost identicle.

• Joshua L. Roberts says:

Yup… I have the Lady in the Water score as well. I hated the movie, but the score is fantastic. Some of my favorites are, “Children of Dune, Edward Scissorhands, Van Helsing, oh gosh… I should just stop… I’ll could list at least 30 off the top of my head, and I haven’t started the game soundtracks! :P

21. Boy – I guess I’m really stupid – movie, soundtrack, score. I listen ed to some of each of the scores on Amazon. I like songs with words, not just music. Is that wrong?

22. Sarah Lin says:

I am happy to hear that Burwell is in consideration! Burwells’ version of ‘Bellas lullaby’ and the score were the better part of the first movie, along with the soundtrack of various artists. Burwells’ theme song for Bella is clear and moving, where as, the other versions are whispy and do not conjure the same feelings or emotion that are captured by Burwell.

23. The Twilight score was the least favorite of the scores. Howard Shore’s was the BEST, in my opinion. I would love to see Howard Shore return. Or maybe Klaus Badelt, Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, John Williams, or… Oh! Michael Giacchino (he did LOST, The Incredibles & Ratatouille). The man’s a musical genius!

24. I think a score should enhance what you are watching, not take away from it or distract you. I personally liked New Moon and Eclipse’s scores for that reason. They both seemed to disappear and enhance the scenes you were watching. Twilight’s score distracted me. I feel it took away from some of the scenes. Everyone is entitled to their own view, I just think that New Moon’s score has a very romantic eerie feel to it that fits the movies tone. I feel the same for Eclipse. I think it fit perfect. The only score that really distracts me is Twilight’s. It wasn’t horrible, but I think the music just didnt fit. There were times in the film I was thinking, the music just doesnt go with what I was feeling while watching this scene.

25. Sorry, but I really didn’t like the score for Twilight. I enjoyed New Moon’s much more and Eclipse’s was ok. I hope Carter sticks with the themes from New Moon. The last scene made me cry, mostly because of the music!

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by TwilightLexicon and others. TwilightLexicon said: Carter Burwell to Return to the Twilight Saga With Breaking Dawn?: http://wp.me/pZlGB-5YG […]