Fanjunket Friday: 1917 Meet Modern Day

The fansites that were on the Stephenie Meyer fansite junket are back with more of their talk with Stephenie.  The audio is embedded below as well as a partial transcript. For a full transcript, check out TwiFans:
Twifans.com: Stephenie Meyer discusses why Edward Cullen wants to make Bella wait until marriage by twifans
“Q: I’m curious about Eclipse because at the point where…I love Eclipse because Edward becomes a lot more flirtatious, and you get to kinda see that.

SM: They have some moments, which are hard to do with fiction because everybody wants constant pacing. I tend to slow down. A lot of what my editors did was cut. Because I just wanna sit and “Let’s have a nice moment. Let’s have a happy time.”

Q: One of the most “nice moments” is when they’re in Edward’s room in bed, and he proposes, okay? There are lots of people that have asked questions, I’ve probably had 10 or 20 just within that one scene. But the one I want the answer to the most is: Edward at one point, he kind-of caves. Just a smidge. When he says “no, no, stop, we’re not doing this until we are married” — is it more out of a moral issue, or is it more out of “I want to make sure you keep up your end of the deal”?

SM: They’re equal parts. There are a couple of things. One is, Edward was born in 1901. And in his mind — he understands the world more clearly than we do. He hears everybody’s thoughts. But to him, this is kind of a…for him it’s a very disrespectful… And he can’t get away from the taboos of his youth. It would be wrong to take advantage of her, in his mind. And obviously, she has a completely different viewpoint. Her viewpoint of it is very modern. She knows that she is with him forever, and she doesn’t see his point. But he just comes from a different place. And I really like, every place I could put in, that would really date him. Because I like when he is…..109.

Comments

1. I love to hear her thoughts

2. I love the fact that SM is just true to her characters. I mean, if you really “know” Edward, the Edward from the books, we know the motivations behind him wanting to wait. I love that she cleared up that she’s not trying to make a statement to teens about waiting until they are married, although I can certainly think of a lot of worse messages (I have a children, and I’ll take whatever help I can get!). But just knowing his motivations and hearing them spoken by Stephenie was very satisfying. I am absolutely enthralled by the intricacies of Edward’s mind (fingers crossed for the book we will not name, and all 4 books from his mind!) and I love him all the more for his unconditional desire to protect Bella. Is he over-the-top in trying to control events in her life? Sure! But in these instances, I’d take that over just going with whatever he is feeling at the moment…don’t we all (especially when young) make HUGE mistakes when we don’t think about the ramifications for our actions?! I LOVE Jacob…not for Bella, but just as a character, but he is definitely not thinking things through for what could be best for Bella in the future. I mean, there was a VERY good chance he would imprint someday, and where would that have left Bella?? One of the main reasons I was always team Edward is that he sees things in a much broader perspective and doesn’t act immediately on his emotions. Loved this tidbit from the SM interview!

3. You did a great job with how you write yuor books. Im like that too. I like the very close moments in books but not too close to fast. I write books sometimes. I have a lot of songs nad poetry though on booksie.com im bitobunny98 Any please check my work out and tell me what you think! Also to Sm: You have great details in your books, not too much and not too less. your a great writer!

4. I just have one question about Edward and Bella….. Why did he choose Bella instead of every other girl at forks high school?

• Allison says:

It was the sent of her blood that he was drawn to at first, he couldn’t resist it like he did with everyone else’s. PLUS he couldn’t read her thoughts either and that intrigued him.

• marsbars says:

cus he cant hear her thougth and cos sh etastes too good

• Look samheloved her beacause both her scent and smell but that is not all. you guys rember when the vampires in the first twilight book was coming? he also did it to protect her, and after their first kiss he had realized he was in love with her.

• lindsey says:

maybe because she was different? he couldn’t read her mind, she was totally the oppopsite of him and opposites attract and she interest him. thats my opinoin =) hope i kinda help anyone

• Edward fell in love with Bella because she is the first human that he wanted to get to know. What he found out was that she was basically good, kind and selfless. She intrigued him because he couldn’t hear her thoughts. He was curious about her because she didn’t seem to think and act like a normal human.

• This is basically how I feel about it. It may have been “fate” that threw them together all the time (the empty seat in biology; his attraction to her blood; Tyler’s van), but I think that just allowed/forced Edward to interact with her…her personality took over from there.

I don’t know what Stephenie Meyer was intending when she wrote, fate/non-fate but to explain it all through fate like a lot of fans do makes it seem like Bella was just picked by the universe, and it’s not because of the interesting, smart, bold girl she is.

• Dainia Powell says:

Because her blood tempts him more than anyone else ihe has ever met and she is nice

• I think Edwards doesnt feel in love at Bella in the first place. In the 1st twilight book, Edward thinks bella as an ordinary tranferee girl. nothing unusual about her. But then, He figures out that he can’t read her thoughts. The second is that she smells so good that the demon inside him kept surfacing but he still conquer it, almost. He thinks bella is her personal Hell. A Hell from his sleepless days. But then, when he tries to ignore him, he just can’t. because she seems to be so intriguing. She feels like she don’t belong to human, kept distances from normal teenage and most of all clumsy, which makes her funny to him, she don’t like spotlight, she feels like she’s a damn even though she’s exquisite, Beautiful actually in so many ways according to edward. Easily, he falls for her. Kept him energitic than usual days, from her kept thoughts to her smell so sweet that he could comb the earth if he found one before. and then so she feels so important to him. thats why he try his hard to protect her. another thing is that bella attracts bad, an omen herself.LOL. I wonder how stephanie put them through in this book. Oposite attracts.Geee thanks

• i think you got the right idea. that was exactly what i was thinking. i think it was a combination of her scent… the fact that he couldn’t read her mind… and that she was different from other girls her age. but i also think it was partially because they were simply meant to be. and those were just the ways that they found each other…. like for example… they sat next to each other in biology and thats what really made him realize her. thats how he came to her attention in the first place. thats what brings me to believe that those were just things to help them find each other… but truly they were soul mates

• Ha Ha Ha. You got that from Midnight Sun.
          Personally, it is my favorite book out of the saga. I cannot wait til SM finishes it.

5. Hey , Sam what a question Hahahahaha it’s obviuous that you didn’t read any twilight book … I think that is besides of course the sent of her blood & he couldn’t read her thoughts that bella is not like other stupid girls she is diffrenet has different thoughts and other way to see life and love she see this things like edward see it and this is what they become so close and fall in love with each other. Ps: To SM THANKS your books inspire me I wanna be a writter since I read your books and sice that I just can’t stop reading thanks really I’m from Venezuela I have a blog but I write in spanish

6. Frist i would like to say THANXS. I read alot of books and in less then 20 days i went through all 4 of your books.I had all ready seen Twilight and New Moon and could not wait to see the next one,and when i did i liked it too, but i had wished they would have staied more to the books even it they had to make it 2 parts so i’m praying to god thast the last one will be in 2 or 3 parts because i would love to see a lot more of whats in the book{Bella kicking Emits back side in arm wresling, Rosaly throwing the bowl at Jacob and Jocob throwing it back. Emit telling Bella how He and Rosaly shake the house a part when they make love, how Eward and Bella are on the iland together, when edward asks bella to marry him and gives her the ring, the house Esmay gives them, Alice helpping Bella all the way through the book . so PLEASE go more by the book even if you have to make it 3 parts.and again THANXS

7. SM I LOVE your books. I’ve read them a bunch of times. :). I actually like reading now :). THANKS!!

8. Can someone please tell me why the twilight convention is not coming to PHX . i would love to go??

9. I have be realy wondering for a while why your making a book in Edwards P.O.V. insted of Jacobs? Im sure a lot of us can see whats going on in Edwards head because him and Bella are always together. But Jacob is not, and in Breaking Dawn in his P.O.V. was way diforent from what he acted like Bell.

• see what i was thinking was that twilight should definitely be in edward’s p.o.v…. which is exactly what she was doing. but your right… like eclipse should be fascinating to hear in jacobs p.o.v. to be able to listen to his side of the story. im most certainly team edward… but maybe jacob has good opinions that we could hear about how he felt about bella

• I believe SM wrote a short little overview of the books from Jacob’s POV. It’s on her website under the Twilight stuff in either the Extras or Outtakes part. Personally, I would so much rather hear the books from Edward’s POV b/c Bella is always commenting on the faces he makes when she says or does things that are ridiculous to him, and I would absolutely love to know what he is thinking. Jacob just isn’t that interesting to me. I feel like I already know what he’s thinking because he’s just a normal, regular “teenage” boy. It’s not hard to figure out what he’s thinking, it’s not like he tries to hide it.

10. Vampire-girl says:

Its also how Bella is different as well she is selfless by moving away to live with her dad to give her mother and stepfather time together, Edward sees her selflessness which is intriguing to him especially as he probably hears other humans selfish thoughts. Plus she is very observant as well

11. hey stephenie i’m tara from iraq i’ve read the twilight books it’s amazing thanks for making me change .your books really helped me to start over .this love between edward and bella is the same love that i’m looking for.and thank you again

12. the books are brill love that edward and bella seem to be more than just in love their friends too. edward does need to trust bit more thou as bella is all his and she doesn’t want anyone else . all the books are great reads thanks for keepin me entertained

13. sin comentario

14. Stephanie: Don’t ever change!! You have the right idea. I love your style of story-telling…just can’t get enough. It’s obvious that your fans have really related to all of the Twilight characters and the way you described their experiences. It would be great if one day you might pick-up where Breaking Dawn leaves off and give us more as the story continued. I also read the draft of Midnight Sun – a totally different viewpoint on the story (naturally) – but also very well written and had me absorbed all the way thru. I keep reading the books over and over and I’ve seen the movies many times – but I agree with others that have commented about the movies. I would much rather see a longer film or split apart to stay more true to the books. Your dialogue ROCKS and needs to be part of the script. I’m definitely voting for BD Part 1 and 2 to be 3-HR films. I didn’t want Ecplise to end!!! You’re the BOMB! Another thing I find so appealing about the Twilight Saga is that the characters are from another time. I love that you stayed true to Edwards roots and made the other Cullen family members to unique in every way. The characters are what keep drawing me back.

15. Lindsey says:

I never liked reading until I started reading the Twilight saga. These are fantastic! It only took me 5 years after twilight came out to be convinced that I’d like them, and boy do I wish I would had listened to everyone from day one.

16. Thanks to you SM a lot of teens now like to read, acsioly i always like it and my friends dnt understand why i prefer reading more than computer, but now they do.
    And more if u read thease comments please finish midnìght sun

And ìm sorry if my english isnt very good im from LT :)

17. If Stephenie Meyer had the level of grammar and spelling I see in the comments on this board, her books never would have been published. Please, educate yourselves. Learn to spell and write properly before posting!

• some of us have trouble spelling its generally call learning difficulties or dislexia maybe if we all could everyone would be happy but thats not the case.

• Also, a lot, a lot, a lot of people that come to this website are not English speaking, or rather English is their second language. They have either just learned it or are in the process of learning it. Let’s try to be encouraging.

• When I come to this website at work, I have to type fast so my boss doesn’t catch me and I get speeling errors. Also, some of my keys on my keyboard at home are sticky.

18. Actually, he had no control over falling in love with her. He tried to stay away but couldn’t. He waited for a century for her, for that kind of love and Alice knew before Bella ever arrived that she was the one. It was meant to be. She was as drawn to him as he was to her.

19. I love all the twilight saga books i have all 5 and can’t wait till next year when breaking dawn comes out in theaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. I love your book very much!!!
    I support you!!

21. rebecca says:

SM your an amazing writer. The Twilight Saga is amazing and I love it. I have one question…why did you stop writing the saga? I think you should write more and let the saga live on. So please if you can respond to me and leave me something so I can respond back…..and please consider writing a whole lot more.

22. SM I love you and your books they are amazing! I also am in love with the Twilight Saga! My question is……
    Did the movies turn out the way you wanted them to or is there parts from the book you wish you could have put into the movie to make it more like the books?
    — #1 TWILIGHT SAGA FAN —

23. I am a huge Twilight Saga Fan, but I am only 12. So, I understand it is rated M… I had to close my eyes when ever they kissed or anything… :P

Anyway, good job Steph, love your books and hope you might have more in the future. <3

• SM im a big fan and i love your books . My fav is The short second life of bree tanner . But you could have had a new series of books about bree if you did not kill her . She could have had a VERY powerful gift and the volturi take her to Aro and he wants her in the gurd and she says ” Only if Fred is here” then there is some love triangle between her fred and … Alec ? just a thought

24. After hearng SM thoughts about Edward and Bella, it makes me understand the series better. Like when I read them (again) I feel like I can better understand what is going on in their heads and be like: OK, I understand why you do what you do.

25. She comes off as very intelligent. My husband and I were both virgins when we were married. We were also pretty attractive so we had opportunities to not be and we had discussions that could fit in Twilight. So I know exactly what she means. It was nice for me to finally see a character in modern lit that shared my values in some ways. That rarely happens for me.

26. Twilight saga online Game. http://www.forsakenclans.com/index.php?REF=4325 (Go Tteam Jacob)

27. With how wildly popular Twilight is, will the saga be continued? There are four books, one partly leaked and hopefully coming out still but, I’m hoping for more after Breaking Dawn, there is so much more that could happen. So many what if’s and questions.

28. I always love to read SM’s thoughts.I’ve read all the outtakes and the FAQs posted on her website and literally devoured it,though I was always hungry for more. Personally,I would LOVE to have all four books from Edward’s pov. He is so intriguing and I’m bewildered by some of his actions,which makes me love him all the more.What wouldn’t I do to make the Twilight characters real…

29. I was thinking that I would like to read a book about Alice. What it was like for her as a child with “the sight”, what it was like for her in the asylum, who was the “old vampire” that cared for her and ultimately changed her when James wanted to kill her, all about that situation, what did she think/feel once she was out of the asylum and all alone as a newborn vampire and what happened between then which was in the 1920’s until Jasper found her in 1948 (I think). IMHO that would be a good read.

30. I just want to say how much I really Love TWILIGHT. the first time I heard about the books was during the time the movie (twilight) was coming out. I did not think that it was something that I would be interested in. I have really LOVED the Books and really really really would like to see more from Stephanie. what about jacob and reneasmee (sp), what is their story. will we ever find out how the volturi came to power. will we get to see the war with the Romanians? Again Steph thanks for the books they have been great DONT STOP…………….

31. ! Hola, hablo español x vivir en la Rep. Argentina.! so entiendo el ingles pero me encanta la saga de Crepusculo, tanto los actores como la historia.-