Breaking Dawn Confirmed to Be Two Movies

Summit LogoCall this Murphy’s Law. The press release on this came out while the entire admin team was on planes flying to the LA convention. Sorry for being the last to post.

Summit Entertainment confirmed today that THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN will be released as two separate films with the first of the two slated to be released in theatres on November 18, 2011. Academy Award® winner Bill Condon will direct both films starring Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner along with Billy Burke as Charlie Swan as well as returning members of the Cullen Family including Peter Facinelli as Carlisle, Elizabeth Reaser as Esme, Jackson Rathbone as Jasper, Nikki Reed as Rosalie, Ashley Greene as Alice and Kellan Lutz as Emmett.

The project, based on the fourth novel in author Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series, is currently being written by Melissa Rosenberg with Wyck Godfrey, Karen Rosenfelt and Stephenie Meyer producing. The TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN will start production in the Fall.

THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN illuminates the secrets and mysteries of this spellbinding romantic epic that has entranced millions.

The third film in the franchise, THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE is due in theaters on June 30, 2010.

Not mentioned in the press release was the release date for the second installment. Our bet (we have no inside info here this is sheer speculation) is that it will be released in June 2012 or November 2012. It will come down to how well Eclipse does as a summer release: does well then the 2nd installment should, doesn’t do well then make it November where things have.

Comments

1. Joan Bryant says:

Yeah! Rereading it a second time makes me think this was the best decision. The first part will probably end with Bella (Spoiler ALERT)”” Awakening as a vampire and the second half deal with Renesemee, Bella adjusting to life as a vampire, and of course the Volturi confrontation which I hope they make a little bit more intense than the book.

• I was thinking d same thing,that d first movie will end with Bella turining into a vampire.I’m sure that won’t help me to wait for d second one :D

Wow!This is too much to take in.Can’t wait!

• I hope it is divided at the point where Bella “awakens” as well. I’d love the first movie to spend plenty of time with Bella and Edward’s wedding and honeymoon. All of the visiting vampires will make for great fun in the second installment!

• Claudia Martinez says:

i agree,thats the best wayy,hope they do it.but either way im excited beyond reason already! watever they decide,im sure it will be amazing(:

2. All I have to say is DUH!! Tell us something we didn’t know….. But it is nice having it confirmed.

3. Well maybe it is a good thing Melissa is writing this one since she seems to think it is her books and her chracters maybe she will finally gives us the romance and give us more insight into Edward being a real father to his child instead of Jacob playing Daddy. FOR ALL THATS HOLY MELISSA PLEASE DONT DESTROY THIS FOR THE FANS.

4. switzy4ever14 says:

Good. It’s all we deserve.

5. OMG I can not beleive that they are going to do two movies they just want to make more money off the dedicated fans that are out there it really sucks they have made plenty of long movies that people have watched and enjoyed, have they never heard the saying if you build it they will come I think that they need to do the whole movie I am so diappointed.

• there is just too much important stuff to squeeze breaking dawn into one 2 hour movie…. And let’s be honest… 3 hour movies are rare (even rarer are successful one) and even at 4 hours it will still be a lot to squeeze in…

6. Well, can’t say that I didn’t expect this. Haven’t we al speculated that it might happen since the announcement of Harry Potters two-part story? I will say, great birthday present to me! Seems that the last few years I’ve lucked out with great movies being premiered around then, so I’m excited :D

7. *SPOILER ALERT!*

It’ll probably be so that Part one of breaking dawn is the isle esme bit until the end of Jacob’s point of view while part three is the bit where the volturi find out and come… :)

8. Yeah! Hopefully they’ll get the same actors to play the volturi too. Breaking Dawn is the movie I am definitely the most interested to see how they adapt to screen. :-)

9. **Spoilers**
    I agree with previous comments about having the second movie start with Bella awakening as a vampire and that alot of time needs to be spent on the wedding/honeymoon. Anyone else sooo excited to see how the wedding turns out??
    Another thing I’m curious about-as we know, BD is told with both Bella and Jacob’s perspective. I wonder if the movie will do that at all? Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

• I would like to see Breaking Dawn from an outside prospective, as if we were looking in on them.

• Yes, I can’t WAIT to see the wedding!! and Isle Esme!!

• **spoilers** yes i agree that the second part should start with bella waking up as a vampire. but i was also wondering about the part in the book when its through jacobs point of view. i sure hope they dont leave that part out because the storey wouldnt make as much sense without some of the info thats in those few chapters. i think this is going to be the hardest book in the saga to make into a movie. i sure hope the diretor doesnt mess this movie up for all us tilighters out there.

10. The first movie of Breaking dawn.. A @#$@@$ year and a half AFTER Eclipse… what kind of cruel joke is that? Do they not realize that forcing us to wait that long is a violation of international laws regarding torture? I do hope Stephanie comes to our rescue during that time and releases a new book…. or Twilighters will get restless…

• I was thinking the same thing too. But my husband reminded me that Harry Potter is coming out this fall and then in the Summer next year….So I know it’s not Twilight, but I’m looking forward to those movies too….So every 6 months we (or at least I) will have something to look forward to.

• Claudia Martinez says:

i was just thinking the same thing when i saw the release dates,thats the worse form of torture! having to wait a year and a half to see it?!?!

thats just too much time to wait!

and they should focus more on Edward and Bellas relationship not Jacob the whole time.thats kind of annoying.

11. Adrielle says:

It’s just too long a wait between Eclipse and BD part 1. Oh well, hopefully they will take the time to give fans a good film.

12. When I found out about the split last night, I wasn’t jumping for joy, and I still haven’t since I’ve gone to bed and slept on it.

I know I’m being a negative Nancy, again, but how much of Bella’s pre-transformation is actually going to be interesting and not some of the wolf politic/look-at-me-I’m-Jacob-Black-the-great-thing-since-sliced-bread sorta thing? How much of the story will actually focus on the Bella/Edward relationship & their family, and not on the Bella/Jacob and later Bella, Jacob/Bella&Edward’s daughter? Since it’s going to be two movies, I want Jacob’s role a heck of a lot smaller than Edward’s for a lot of the movie because I’m getting really sick of almost every single clip released being about Jacob.

• I’m excited about the split because I hope it will give more time for them to make the wedding and honeymoon AWESOME. But I 100% agree with you that we are getting WAY too much Jacob lately. It’s Bella and Edward’s love story we want to see. The rest is just details.

13. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! you better get this right!!!!

14. ** Spoiler**
    I agree with splitting the first movie when Bella wakes up as a Vampire.. And hope that this means they are going to spend LOTS of time on the wedding and Isle Esme. New Moon was for Team Jacob and Breaking Dawn part 1 is Team Edward’s time ;)

15. I’m kind of bummed…because I just want to have all the movies done and in my house on DVD so I can watch it over and over! Having two movies for the fourth book will make me have to wait even LONGER for this dream to happen!! *sniff, sniff!*

16. YAY ^_^
    Glad to hear this is finally confirmed, though I guess we all knew what Summit’s decision would be :P

17. TeamSwitz4life says:

Yay!!!!! I’m happy :)

18. Yessss!!! i figured and hoped they would… still nice to know though

19. emerson says:

Please don’t make it all about Jacob and his imprinting and his love for Bella up until that point, is all I have to say. And yeah, more affection between E & B. And please dear Lord stop making Edward so controlling. I get that’s he’s a scary “vampire” but follow what the book is doing!

20. Twilight dreamer says:

Yay! was there ever really a choice? One movie is to short for EVERYTHING but just not enough time to quench the thirst of us TWI-HARDS! So nice to have it known!