Tish Monaghan: EW Edward and Jacob’s Looks

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Anyone who’s listened to the Twilight DVD commentary knows that Robert Pattinson wasn’t a fan of Edward’s pea coat.
TISH MONAGHAN: He wasn’t a fan of the pea coat. He wore it in virtually every scene, and I think maybe he just got tired of it. I’m guessing. [Laughs] He just wanted a more mature look. That was part of Edward’s Grade 11 year, and now he’s getting into his graduation year, he’s in a relationship. He had worn hoodies and jeans and sneakers, and Robert, the director [Chris Weitz], and I all wanted to portray him more as a gentleman, more elegant and classic. With our vampire characters, I always went back to the time period in which they were turned to see if there’s any element I could try to simulate in contemporary clothing. He came out of the Edwardian period, around 1910. Of course, most of the gentleman from that time would be wearing suits, coats, hats, etc. We had to pick something that was iconic for the character that would suffice to be used throughout the whole film. At the very beginning of the film, he has one school outfit, and then there’s Bella’s birthday party and disaster strikes. So Edward ends up in that same costume for the remainder of the film. I was thinking of just putting him in a dress shirt and a pair of pants, but Robert wanted to be in a suit.

See the rest on EW.

Comments

1. I don´t like the suit, he looks so serious in it :/.
    I loved the hoodies and jeans in Twilight, they just looked better.

2. I loved his look in New Moon. The way he is described through the entire book series, he dresses a little more mature. Also,he looks more like himself in New Moon, and I liked that.

• Mikka, you are right, but not only mature, but ‘fine’ clothes. The Cullens all dress nice, you couldn’t have Alice for a sis and not understand clothes1 lol Bella often describes his turtle necks and slacks….I am soooo glad to see the pea coat go. I imagined him as Mr. GQ as far as Steph describes him.

3. I love him in New Moon!!! He looks WAY better!! In New Moon he dresses more like he does in the book his clothes are more flashy!! Because if you remeber from the books that’s one of the things that gets pointed out is how they dress ALOT nicer than everyone else at school!!

4. I havent seen the movie yet im going this week…In twilight i did not care for the wardrobe..I always pictured the cullens to wear b.republic,j.crew expensive materials, or layered looks from the runway like calvin k,tommy h.The party pics i dont care for that poor dress they put nikki in.Ed has a tweed suit on i get it,but i think the clothing looks better in the v.fair shoot..they could have gone for something like that.Cant wait for n.moon

5. I think everyone looked great except Alice. The blue thing with the scarf and that horrible gray thing she had on in Italy looked like she was hiding a teenage pregnancy. **blech** She looked HORRIBLE in Italy (aside from those awesome red gloves)!

6. Sorry Robert…and Chris…and everybody else. I did NOT like Edward’s look. It aged him too much. Made him look his actual age of 23 instead of 18.

And OMG…I don’t care is Ashley liked the Audrey Hepburn look herself, it’s NOT a look that her character would embrace. Alice is chic and sophisticated, but not frumpy!!!

Bella was the only one with half-decent wardrobe. (and the wolves, of course! LOL)

7. I liked the twilight peacoat, I thought it was sexay, and nobody else in school wore one so I think it showed how more sophisticated he was. But it was good they changed the wardrobe in NM, I liked it, just too much blue they could have changed the colors up.

• The color choices were intentional. The Cullens were put into lots of blue and cool colors, and the wolves were kept in earthy colors. Bella’s wardrobe also reflected this. She was in blue colors when she was with the Cullens, but she started wearing earth colors when she was around Jacob. (According to Chris.)

8. The only thing I noticed about Edward’s pants was when Felix was holding him back and they looked in danger of falling to the floor. (Edward’s pants, not Edward and Felix.) Honestly, they could’ve been pink satin and I might not have noticed at that point. Wow, my Edward obsession has to stop!

• Chrissy, I totally agree with you!!! I couldn’t stop staring. I have no idea what else was going on in that scene…just Edward and his hip bones!!

• BrownEyedGirl says:

Oh my goodness, my gaze was firmly locked on those hip bones throughout that entire scene! LOL! Personally, I kind of perferred the peacoat and tight jerseys in Twilight, the suit seemed a bit too business-like and serious. He is only supposed to be 17 after all. And I find it amusing that Rob was the one who wanted to wear the suit, he’s such a casual dresser normally!

9. I guess I didn’t realize he had on the same suit! I did wonder why his pants were so baggy though. I wish they would put wardrobe info on the DVD like this. In the old days they would publish books on the movies that showed all the wardrobe test photos. I remember buying one for Gone With The Wind and I still have it. I found it at a used book store.

Best,

DC

10. I agree that I didn’t like the look in Twilight. I’m on the fence with New Moon’s look, albeit a better one. If the costumer would read the book, I don’t think they’d have a problem. I, too, pictured B. Republic; J. Crew…khakis, nice sweaters, etc. He’s a modern dresser with style. He’s got money, so he’s going to dress nicely, but he never over-dressed. It’s not that hard.

11. Hello! I’m sorry to say it but I don’t like Edward’s clothes in NM. I understand that he’s wealthy and so he must wear elegant suits but he looks too old in this film (especially in the scene of the birthday’s party). However not everything is wrong. He looks great when he arrives at school…and also in the ending scene.
    As far as concerns Alice, as I’ve already wrote in a previous comment, her clothes are awful, in particular that terrible “thing” she wears in Volterra and the foulard…she looks older than my grandmother!Bella’s clothes are perfect ..

12. I think Rob’s look was really good in New Moon. I love the suit he wears, and the dark clothes go perfectly with the movie’s atmosphere.

13. I prefer the suits over the pea coat. He has to look serious he’s having doubts. I thought the pea coat was ugly, doesn’t fit him.

14. Angela ^_^ says:

i love how edward is dressed (in both movies) ^_^ i have no problem with any of it. give me a guy is a nice fitting hoodie, long over coat, or an open button up shirt i’m for everything!!!
    hehehe
    but i do love the old soldier style coat that alec is wearing in volterra! someone please tell me where i can get one, it’s fracken gorgeous (and i have someone here i would like to dress :P)

• HEY girlie!!Its a very popular look i got two military style coats this year..They all have them in different syles.I would look for a guys maybe armani exchange,macys,gap etc.Try young adult stores that would be the cheapest.They have a sweater one at american eagle i guess it could be worn by both..I found mine a tjmaxx and annie seiz one is fitted and the others a peacoat.Try to google it.Look under discount sites overstock,biz rate. You can find sites that you can type in what actors wore during the movie. Have fun……

• Angela ^_^ says:

:( i live in australia and none of those stores exist here (well not in brisbane anyway), but you did give me some good things to try! thanx ^_^!!

really once they’ve imported coats like that here they jack up the price like nobodies business!!! i know i saw a black and white one in this goth store and the price was ridiculous x_x my boyfriend loves the style and it suits him but he can’t justify spending that much $$$ on a coat we cant’ wear often (brisbane is a humid death trap!!!) *sigh* but i do love me a guy in a coat mmmm

^_^

15. i thought edwards look was perfect The suit was very Edward-ish and i thought it was cool how he didnt change that was cool it rly added to his depressed and suicidal mood haha…not funny!!! ;)

16. purpleapple says:

I hated Edward’s clothes – except for the one where he’s walking at the parking lot to meet Bella. Twilight made vampires look very cool because it smashed the usual notion that vampires wear period clothes. They looked updated and trendy. And besides, the Cullens wanted to ‘blend’ with the humans. In New Moon, Edward looked just like the typical vampires we know- except more boring.

I’m appalled that they used the same designer for Eclipse. Bring back the designer from Twilight.

17. LoveJasper says:

I LOVED Edward’s wardrobe in New Moon. The color of that coat set off his hair, eyes and skin so well. I immediately could tell the improvement from the first film.

On the other hand, I absolutely HATED Alice’s wardrobe in New Moon. What happened???? What was up with the blue smock and the scarf? The shapeless purple dress she wore at the B-party was the best outfit but it was fit too big like everything else. Why the ulgy plain flat shoes?

Everything about the Alice Italy outfit was terrible too. What was the wardrobe designer thinking?

The Alice wardrobe in Twilight contributed to explaining the character. Current mixed with touches from the past. At least the clothes were better tailored on Ashley’s figure in the first movie.

I was so disappointed.

I knew the clothes were going to be terrible when I saw the stills from the movie before the movie came out.

Hopefully there will be another person doing the wardrobe for Eclipse.

Peace

18. Barbara Rodgers says:

I loved all the costuming in New Moon. Edward’s suit with the blue shirt was so classic and classy. Why all the ragging on Alice’s costuming? It was completely different than all the other high schoolers. Alice would have worn a blue mini dress with leggings and ballet flats because NOBODY else would. That’s an “Alice thing.” I thought that outfit was sassy, and fit her personality very well. Her Italy ensemble was very classic European, including the scarf and sunglasses…very Sophia Loren. See this is why 59 year old high school “twi-brarians” are fans. We have to explain all the costuming nuances to you youngsters!

• I agree, Barbara. I agree. I thought Alice looked put-together and pixie-like, which is exactly how I picture Alice.

I also thought that Edward looked very classic and elegant, as befitting a man born at the turn-of-the-century. (Chicago, YAY!) However, in the movie it seems to me that Edward wears to distinct styles. He wears the more modern high school style while attending Forks High. As someone points out here, the Cullens do this so that they don’t stand out when going out and about amongst humans. At home, however, his clothes seemed to reflect his true age and personality. That’s how I saw it. Perhaps that’s another way of looking at it.

• *two

• You know…I never thought of it that way. And you’re right! When he was at school he WAS dressed in more hip clothes! Gee!!! Why didn’t I notice that!!

I guess it’s ok that he was wearing the older period type clothes at home then. LOL

19. Edward’s suit was AWFUL! He really looked like a granpa. And the tear in his shirt was ridiculous. I was like what the hell is in his shirt!And what’s with that baggy pants? Yes it was so strange that I was actually looking at his pants when he was removing his shirt.
    Twilight’s outfits were way better. I want my sexy Edward back!!!

20. Did anyone notice the ridiculous dress they put Bella in in Alice’ Vision? It looks like a garden dress for a toddler. As Eclipse is already finished, I shudder to think what they dressed them in.

21. I hated Edward’s look in New Moon. He looks so much older and his hair is not as cool looking. Also, the suit was too dull and boring. I thought he looked much sexier overall in Twilight.