Meet Maria: Catalina Sandino Moreno

According to The Hollywood Reporter who earlier today told us about the casting  of  Jack Huston as Royce King II, has now announced that Catalina Sandino Moreno will play Maria, the vampire who turns Jasper.

“The Colombian-born Sandino Moreno most notably starred in “Grace,” in which she played a pregnant teacher who becomes a drug mule, as well as Steven Soderbergh’s epic “Che” and the upcoming indie drama “Frail,” in which she plays the title character, who’s described as a naive Midwestern girl.”

Check it all out on THR.

TY to Nena and Larry Richman for giving us the heads up, love ya, Larry!

Comments

1. Thanks for the shoutout! Luv ya back. ;)

2. mschicklet says:

Awesome. I love Eclipse news. Keep it coming!

3. Sterling Snow says:

I think she looks like a good pick for Maria. Loving all the casting news :)

4. all these new casting announcements make me realize just how much bigger the cast keeps getting with each new book/movie

5. TwilightFreak says:

Wow!
    She looks like a Maria :D
    Its not how i really pictured her, but ive just seen one picture.
    Cant wait!
    COME ON, SUMMIT!!! WHERE IS OUR FREAKING SETH AND LEAH FOR GOD’S SAKE?????????? IM GONNA LOOSE IT!

6. she looks like a southren girl. But she wasent what i pictured Maria to be but i thinks he will do good. :] Im still waiting for them to announce Leah and Seth. I mean come on already they start filming next monday (on my b-day) sooooo…..where is the rest of the cast??? Hahaha :]

7. schorette says:

Dang, I thought she was going to play Leah. I’m ready for them to cast the Clearwaters!

8. not how i pictured her. but shes really pretty and im sure she’ll do amazing. =)

9. Awesome! I saw her in “Maria full of Grace” and she is fabulous. Great choice. :)

10. Maria is blonde. so wtf?

• I think you got Maria mixed up with Nettie, the other vampire in her group lol. Maria was supposed to be of mexican decent.

• And it seems I did, I read jasper’s part in eclipse again before I said she was blonde (which is what I have always thought), and I thought that maria was one of the blondes, and nettie was mexican. I just reread it and I finally saw this sentence,

“I’d always had a good sense of how people related to each other, and it was immediately clear that the brunette was somehow in charge of the others.”

• Who cares? Talent is what should count, not how they look.

• No actually, there are times when it is not what counts the most. Talent and ability a factor, but looks are hugely important in movies. You can’t possibly tell me you would have preffered a wonderful actor, who is ugly as sin, playing edward, rather than a gorgeus man who is an okay actor. More than that you can’t cast a white man to play an asian, or native american, or african american. Looks are majorly important when casting.

11. I’m happy they got a real Latina for the part, and not some one who could pass.

12. Margarita says:

WoW!!!! it’s amazing!!!! I’m really excited about a Colombian actress acting in this huge production!!!!! I’m very proud as a Colombian too!!!! Now I want to see the movie more than usual!!!! hahahaha!!! Que Viva Colombia!!!

13. Devon061381 says:

Royce, now Maria! YESSS!!!! I’m loving this! I’m echoing the chant above: SETH AND LEAH!!!!!!

14. My claim to fame!!! She’s one of my BFF’s cousin!!! AAAAAHHHH!! **So jealous of friend’s cousin** :)

15. I agree! Que vive nuestra pais. <333

• Oh my God! My name is Julianne too! I am just shocked that I saw another Julianne. I don’t know anyone else named that. Haha. I just got really excited. I just thought I should let you know. I love Twilight :)

16. Vanessa Cullen says:

WWWWWwwwiiiiiiii !!!!

Que bien!!!! Una Colombiana en una super produccion norteamenricana… Lo Maximo!!!

Me alegra mucho… y estoy segura que hara un papel excelente

17. Vanessa Cullen says:

Wwwwwiii!!!!
    That’s Great!! A Colombian in a northamerican production… It’s awesome!!!

I’m so glad… And I’m sure she is going to do a great job

Que viva Colombia!!!!

18. ****** THE NEW MOON TRAILER IS ON YOU TUBE!! ******
    Get in quick! You Tube is deleting the copies as quickly as they can. It was filmed in France, so you need to make sure you pick a version that says “with subtitles”. Totally worth it! You will be blown away!

19. Does someone want to refresh my memory of who Maria is. How does she get involved with the story. Do you actually meet her or do you hear a story. I read Eclipse such a long time ago, because I didn’t find it to be a re-read, so please if you could, tell me who she is. Thanks :)

20. Maria is the one who turns Jasper because she wants him to head up the newborn army she is creating. Jasper stays with her for a while, but becomes tired of the killing. He escapes with Peter and Charlotte when they tell him that there is another way to exist. Eventually he wanders away from them too, and that’s when Alice finds him.

21. im sure that shes going to do good but i pictured maria to be smaller looking as in height but shes still pretty anyway i’m just glad they got someone who speaks spanish n is latino! i would hav liked it to be someone who i mexican because maria was a mexican decent but im happy! p.s. i think she would make a better leah.

22. I SAW A LOT OF FRESH NEW MOON STUFF. I SAW THE VOLTURI!!! I SAW JACOB CLIMBING INTO BELLA’S ROOM AND HUGGING HER. I AM HYPERVENTILATING RIGHT NOW AND SHAKING. IT IS IN FRENCH. YOU SAW A NEW KISSING SCENE WITH EDWARD AND BELLA AND EDWARD HAS HIS SHIRT OFF!! YOU SEE BELLA PUSHING SAM BECAUSE SHE IS PISSED OFF. YOU SEE JACOB AND BELLA ALMOST KISS!!! IT WAS GREAT!! IT IS ON YOUTUBE!!! HURRY AND WATCH IT!!!!!

• I know! Me too!! Jacob jumping in and out of her window was enough to make my heart stop. So cool that they emphasized how strong he is meant to be.

23. In “Maria Full of Grace,” she’s not a teacher before she becomes a drug mule, she’s a girl who works in a flower cutting factory.

24. Maria Full of Grace was such an amazing film!! I’m very happy to hear she’s going to be in eclipse :)

25. nikki 27, chicago, says:

she was in a movie called “maria, full of grace”. she was an excellent actress in it. she will do great!

26. KristaNic says:

She looks very pretty.
    I’m glad they’re casting people so quickly.
    Of course they really didn’t have that many to cast but still…
    And! They’re not making us wait 3 months!
    Go David and the casting peeps!

27. loved her in “Maria full of Grace”

28. Catalina is a phenomenal actress, both in “Maria Full of Grace,” and “Che.” I think she fits the part perfectly.

I’m so happy that they’re doing these flashback scenes. It was one of the things I liked about Twilight (they went back to film the treaty and stuff). Eclipse is very heavy on the backstory of different characters so I’m happy they’re not cutting it out in effort to make room for an action scene or an unimportant scene where they simply make Taylor take his shirt off or Rob dazzle someone.

29. uuuu.. i loved her in the movie Maria Full of Grace.
    she will do well!

30. Soderbergh’s—]

Drug addict. Don’t kid yurselves people He’s a NUT!

31. ¡Felicidades, Catalina! Todo el éxito en este nuevo personaje

32. If I really wanted to read all the Colombian pride I would go to a Juanes or Shakira fansite… But I don’t. This is about twilight people. You don’t see the Brits coming on and screaming about how rob is Brit. True about there being 5 million true Mexican American in California. It was cheap of them to not just cast the really thing. Now we’re stuck with the annoying Colombian accent. Good thing she very pretty. I’ll be less annoyed.

33. The film she was in is actually titled Maria Full of Grace and it is outstanding! She was nominated for an Oscar for that role.
    I don’t know how much screen time these people are going to get as part of the back stories, but I’m hoping they have a great time and what great colleagues for our favorite Twilight cast! Jackson and she will be awesome together!

34. ILoveAliceCullen says:

Maria is a vampire right? How will they get this girl as pale as a vampire have to be? :S

I don’t think this is a good choice. But we’ll see.

35. Oh hello “Julie T” LOL. I’ve never met another girl named Julianne either! :)
    Nice to meet you!

36. I also think that she’ll do a great job. But she looks so sweet, and Maria is a selfish greedy vampire.

37. OMG I JUST SAW THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE I CAN’T STOP WATCHING IT!!!!!!!!!!!IT’S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!U CAN SEE THE WOLF PACK, THE BIKES, EDWARD AND BELLA KISS, BELLA AND JACOB, JACOB JUMPING INTO BELLAS ROOM, BELLA DROWNING, VICTORIA, N JANE!!!!!!!!!!IT’S AWESOME WATCH IT!!!!!

38. Rachel A. says:

She looks nice, but once again I wish they chose drop dead gorgeous people for the vampire roles.

39. cristy_702 says:

Well she kind of looks like how I imagined her.. but why does she have to be colombian?

40. ILoveAliceCullen says:

Lola, do you have a link?

41. Excellent choice!!! Approved!!!! Loving the choices being made for Eclipse :)

42. Yeah!!!! She’s colombian, have saw her act an she is excellent, she has been nominated to the oscar too!! I think she is a great choice!

43. damn it give the damn link of the trailer, i can’t find it!!!!!!!!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i’m loosing it over here

44. TeamSwitzerland4ever says:

she’ll do great, I think and she’s pretty much what I pictured Maria to be like. I don’t understand why people care about whether she’s from Colombia or Mexico, she’s obviously a good actor and it doesn’t matter if she’s mexican for such a small role! It matters with the queliutes, but not here I think…

45. Why did they pick a colombian actress to play the part of mexican María. María is a tex mex girl not from south america. Hello Colombia is a different country from México.

1. [...] [source] Posted in Movie Casting, New Moon | Tags: Catalina Sandino Moreno, Movie Casting, New Moon « New Moon to be Featured at this Years Empire and BFI Movie-Con II [...]