Stephenie Meyer Updates Her Website Regarding Alleged Lawsuit

Stephenie Meyer has updated her website to address the false media reports that she is being sued. Even today after a statement was released to the media confirming that the story was a hoax, various major media outlets continued to incorrectly report and perpetuate the story revitalizing the rumor that Stephenie was being sued, just that it wasn’t affecting the production. Their coverage was then cited by other sources. As you can see below the story never had any basis in truth, ever.

“There are a lot of things I should be doing updates on—for example, how awesome and successful the Book Babe event was, and how cool it was to meet all the other authors and hang out with them a little bit, and how much I appreciated all the tremendous support from the fans—but instead of commenting on happy things (which I admit I should have done a week ago; I was waiting for things to slow down for a day, silly me!), I’m commenting on ridiculous internet rumors so that my publicist’s day will be just a little bit better.

I am not being sued. No one has contacted me or my publisher to inform either of us that I’m being sued. I never had a roommate named Heidi. There is no professor in the BYU English department named Dr. Peter Benton (though there is a character on ER by that name). And most of all, I began writing Twilight exactly the way I’ve told people in countless interviews and events for the past six years: I had a cool dream, I wrote it down, writing it down was really fun, so I kept writing until I had a whole book.

The sad thing about this silly situation is that so many legitimate news outlets reported it without doing any research at all to determine if there was any truth to the story. And at least two of these facts are really, really easy to confirm. Particularly, the one about the BYU professor. A simple on-line search can give you that information. Also, a quick call to my publisher would have cleared up the whole lawsuit story. (Kudos to the fansites who did their due diligence and debunked this rumor days ago.)

I guess the moral of the story is that—big surprise—you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. Seems like it’s April Fool’s Day every day on-line. So no worries, the filming of New Moon continues uninterrupted. And, to end this on a bright note, the filming of New Moon continues to be awesome. It’s all so beautiful! Chris Weitz is brilliant. Kristen, Rob, and Taylor are beyond words. I have gotten choked up more than once on set due to their amazing performances. I can’t wait to see it all put together!

Steph”

Comments

1. HowlingJuanjo says:

Yay! It’s so good to finally hear something from her!… She’s lovin how New Moon’s coming together! Can’t wait!

2. I love what she said about new moon. I can’t wait to see it.. :D

3. hey read wizards first rule by terry goodkind.
    wizards first rule: people are stupid. they will believe anything they hear because they want to or are afraid for it to be true.

4. heatherh says:

i just love her. so glad she’s loving new moon so far… that gives me hope. :)

5. “choked up”… does that mean they’ve already filmed Edwards leaving…. Could we possible see some clips in the future??? eeeeee! sooo excited!

6. This rumors is so stupid… didnt believe it anyways.

But it is awesome to hear from Stephenie how New Moon is going that that she loves what she has seen so far!!!

Thanks Stephenie Meyer!!

7. Stephanie says:

Thank you, Stephenie! We always love hearing from you!

8. All publicity is good..this will help you sell more books..and they rock.

By the way steph…the picture on your book is not the same person who signed my books from you at another book signing?? Why is that?? Are you using a stunt double??

Keep up the great work..looking forward to the movies..

9. Julie M. says:

It’s so great to hear how the filming is going. I love how she said she cried. I know I will be crying during the movie. We love you Stephenie!!

10. I’ve said it before… Stephenie is awesome. :)

11. she’s so nice about everything. just another day in the life of the amazing SM.

12. “choked up”, YAY!!!

13. WOW, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING? SO GLAD TO READ YOU AGAIN, WONDERFUL STUFF CONCERNING NEW MOON (JUST NOT ENOUGH)I REALIZE YOU ARE SOOO BUSY BUT….CHECK IN MORE OFTEN, K? WE WERE NEVER CONCERNED TWILIGHT WASN’T YOURS AND YOURS ALONE (AND OURS), STILL OUR ROCK STAR STEPH.

14. Yeah Stephenie!

15. thanks Stephenie Meyer, i knew it wasn’t true anyway.

16. Amy Darlene says:

Wow, it’s really sad that reporters would repeat that rubbish without checking their sources.

on a side note, i did have a HUGE crush on Eric LaSalle pre-ER

17. Man, this just makes me even more excited about New Moon (is that even possible?) I know I’m going to be bawling when Edward leaves Bella *sniffles* I couldn’t even see the words on the page while reading that scene the first time due to the enormous amount of tears streaming down my face.

About the rumor…well, I’m not terribly surprised that everyone’s picking up on this, though it’s sad, isn’t it? How hard would it have been to investigate a bit. Then they could’ve been the newscast that set the record straight and their ratings would’ve gone through the roof. Bad reporters, bad!

18. NuttyNetty says:

awww this is awesome. if she’s crying then i know i’m going to cry lol

19. i never believed it anyway coz who would wait this long to say something, its not like twilight is a new thing.
    nice to here from stephenie again, and im glad new moon is going so well

20. Minaminx says:

I think she should trace it back to the source and teach them a lesson and sue for slandering her name… Maybe then people would learn to do some damn research before reporting something as news.

21. Collegiatefanpire says:

Steph continues to be a rockstar. My theory: Lady Sybilla could have started the rumor, since she was bitter about the whole copyright thing… why not start a rumor that stephenie was infringing on copyright? JUST MY THOUGHTS, but still.

• Twilight_News says:

Just because Lady Sybilla probably Googles her name, and really we don’t want the hassle from her, the owners of this site do not believe that she is in any way involved.

22. Wow, this site is great! Will add to my rss reader list. Very innovative. Ralph

23. Yay, the Lexicon gets kudos from Stephenie! ^_^ Lol

24. DazzledKween says:

Haha. Sabrina, that’s exactly what I’m going to be doing. My friends tease that they’ll brig lots of tissues. :P

Anyway, I knew the rumor was totally fake the second I read about it. If anything, it would be someone copying off of Twilight, not vice versa. And the professor? Ha! I don’t even WATCH E.R. And I knew that’s where the name was from. And the reporters? WHAT. THE. DUCK?! How stupid can they be? Every reporter is supposed to check their sources, it’s their JOB for crying out loud.

I’m glad she approves of New Moon, that just makes me all the more excited. Plus, I’m trying to get an audition as an extra. I doubt I’ll get a part, but who knows? :)

Good luck to the cast and crew, and thank you so much Steph! My life has been totally turned around by the world of Twilight. We love you!

~Nessi the Collapsable Spork~

25. I just wish to say “Thank you Ms. Meyer..Dreams do come true….”

26. papermoon says:

*dies laughing* you gotta watch out for Dr. Benton- he might operate on you.

27. im SO relieved this hasnt affected filming of the movie…im dying to see it, and i dont htink i could wait any longer than i already have to!! check out another article i found on the lawsuit…plus the site is pretty cool, and has some awesome pics of the twilight actors :)

28. im SO relieved this hasnt affected filming of the movie…im dying to see it, and i dont htink i could wait any longer than i already have to!! check out another article i found on the lawsuit…plus the site is pretty cool, and has some awesome pics of the twilight actors :)

29. I’m feeling really bad for Stephenie.People can be so immature and stupid.Anyway,love you Stephenie! It feels really nice to hear from after such a long time.

I hope nobody will bug her anymore with these silly rumors.

30. I’m glad that the whole story of Steph being sued was just that! That’s raw media for you…can’t wait to start something juicy just to cause ripples in someone’s success!

On another note! Which there is truth to…I have to say that the books are the first that I’ve ever read and literally got swept away into the talent of a writer such as Stephanie. I’m on my second round already! :) I could not wait to get the next book and the next book. I was in tears towards the end of breaking dawn! Genius! I do, however, wish she would reconsider writing Midnight Sun. As I was reading the reasons as to why as well as the thought process behind even beginning Midnight Sun, I as an amature writer can understand. That being said, to have a collection of the four which contains mainly the thoughts of Bella and even to a small extent Jacob without Edward’s two cents sort of speaking, makes it incomplete. Reading the partial manual on the official site brought so much more of a different perspecitve of the whole Twilight storyline to the point that it completes it and further proves my point! I do wish she would reconsider. If Stephanie knows who the perps are I say SUE THEM and do not deprive your true fans of this beautiful dream of yours. I almost wished there was more, but as with all good stories it has to end at some point. Just PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE think about it. I would also love to have it sitting right next to Twilight in my library!

I’m on pins and needles waiting for New Moon the movie. I checked out some people’s take on trailers for Eclipse and Breaking Dawn on YouTube. Of course they aren’t official, but you can tell how much people love your work as well as the actors who portray these beloved characters! Couldn’t have chosen a better Bella and Edward. They truely bring them to life!! The chemistry is dead on!!

Much love Stephanie.

31. Recently there was a news that Stephenie is being sued for copyright infringement of The Nocturne by Jordan Scott. Any comments?

32. eu nao entendo nada…..
    sou brasileira….
    vcs pudiam ter esse texto em portugues tbm…
    bjim

1. Anonymous says:

[...] Original aqui. [...]

2. [...] This was the second story regarding plagiarism in 2009. The first story about Stephenie plagiarizing a college roommate’s story was an Internet hoax completely without merit. [...]