Twilighters for Forks

In honor of Bella’s birthday coming up, it’s time for us to reveal a gift we have been working on for a few months now.  It is with great pleasure and excitement that we can announce the formation of Twilighters For Forks, a non-profit organization set up to help benefit the city of Forks, specifically The Forks High School.

While visiting Forks for the first time this last summer, Pel and I both commented on how the words “small town” just didn’t do the city justice.  Being from relatively big cities, we enjoyed how peaceful and quiet the area was, but we were concerned with the economy of the area.  As we took pictures of the landscape and various “Twilight” locations we both thought that if there was any way to help the small town of Forks that we wanted in on it.  We started brainstorming what could be done and wondered if the city had a means to take monetary donations over the internet.  We thought that if we could place a link on the Lexicon, we’d be able to reach thousands of Twilight fans.

Later that day, we were talking to the amazing ladies who run Infinite Jewlery Co., which manufactures Bella’s Bracelet™ and Bella’s Engagement Ring™, who were also visiting Forks.  They informed us that the Forks High School had been condemned and was in danger of being knocked down.  They expressed their desire to do something to help the city, and we said that we had the same desire.  We all knew that if the fans understood what was happening in Forks they would want to help out, too.  Through the affiliations that Infinite Jewlery Co. had made in the city and with the backing of the Lexicon, we went to various city officials asking them for a way for fans to donate to the city.  Thus, Twilighters For Forks was formed!

Now is a chance for all of us who have escaped to Forks so many times while reading these books to give something back to show our gratitude.  Just think of what a small donation from each fan could do for the city of Forks.  Give what you can!  Visit the Forks Forum website for all the details on the school and the purpose of Twilighters for Forks and the chance to help donate to this very valuable cause.

If you want to pass on the word on your own message boards or websites, please feel free to copy this post or just link to the TFF main page at the Forks Forum.  The more people spreading the word, the more good we can do to help Forks and to save the High School!

Comments

1. i think this is a really cool idea!
    Going back to the smallness of Forks… it reminds me of where a lot of my family lives, except i don’t think that town even has a single chain restaurant! That idea really gave some perspective of how i see Forks now! WOW is it small! (but i don’t think Forks would have half the town have the same last name??) hehe

2. and p.s. I’m from a small town, too, where the McDonald’s is like a local landmark. Economy struggling, heart of Kentucky, but we have it a LOT BETTER than any of the approx. 17000 children who starve every day.

3. KaseyHeartEdward says:

I think this is an amzing idea!

To help Forks out! Amazing! Plus it is a school! That is needed for the Students of Forks! And i mean it is historical it has been there for a long time and i am glad that we can have the chance to save it.

And to the people who think this is a bad idea i really hope you are sending some money to the places that really need it. Instead of complaining here.

I say help where you can! And this is a way we can help peole! So they can have their school and get an education. Plus if they keep the old building they will get more people coming through to see it Because of Twilight. So they will get a raise in their economy.

Notice Choose and Act.

4. Such a great idea. Good luck with it, and getting the links to work!! :O

5. Devon061381 says:

Okay. Here’s my take on this situation.

I think this is a wonderful idea. I’m a big history buff and preserving buildings, especially something like a community’s school, is a big deal.

My perspective on the whole thing is yes, we wouldn’t know how much Forks is struggling besides hearing about Forks in the books…but no one would ever know that some place needs financial help unless we hear about it *somehow*. Africa is a ginormous continent that will take an infinite amount of help to “clean up” – more than what several thousand people can donate in $2-5 small donations on average. Not to mention that you’re also battling an entirely different culture and that’s not something that you can just rush into and slam money on and change overnight. But something in those amounts from that amount of people can certainly help out a small town struggling with a project like an almost-condemned school. This is a reachable goal for a relatively small amount of people (I mean, compared to the earth’s entire population). Reachable, realistic goals are satisfying to fulfill. And if we claim to want to help people, being charitable to MANY causes is a good idea. We have an emotionally vested interest in Forks, this is true, but that doesn’t make the idea a dumb one. How is it so different from contributing to an inner city school that may be condemned, or can’t afford text books for its students? Do the inner city children somehow deserve to have a proper school more than the children of Forks? What you may not *get* is that in small towns, you hardly have a population. Low population = not enough school taxes to do diddley squat with to fix your school. The local economy has suffered and therefore the people of that town probably aren’t raking in the dough on their paychecks to be able to make this project happen on their own. And yes, there are MANY, many towns and cities across this country that are probably experiencing the same financial drought; this is one of them, and they all need our help. We SHOULD try to help places in close proximity to us, as your local community benefits from this. Because local communities mean something to the people that live there. We all don’t live in Forks or nearby; however, we all have a special place in our hearts for it because of Stephenie’s wonderful books. I’m a great believer in things happening for a reason, and I can’t help but wonder that Stephenie happened to look up the rainiest spot in the USA for her story, and down the line come to find out the beloved small town is struggling, and we’re actually able to do something about it. I have no doubt that Forks will be able to save their high school by donations from Twilighters, thanks to the Admins alerting the fandom of this project. If we all gave $2 or $3 bucks to every charitable item that came our way, we’d see a lot of progress in the world. So there’s no need to condemn or disagree with donating to this worthy cause – you’d be helping children, especially children in OUR OWN COUNTRY, get the education they deserve in a safe building. How can that be wrong? I’d love to send $100 over, but alas, I chose to spend $65 on Jack’s Mannequin concert tickets last night, so my donation will be less than the amount I’d LIKE to send. Just think what we all could do with our extra money instead of blowing it on things we don’t really need.

To the “disagree-ers” – what did you spend $3 on today? A foamy Starbucks drink? Huh – just think, you could have helped children get their education that much sooner by spending your $3 on a Forks donation.

Thank you so much, Lex Admins, for starting this project and letting us know how we can take care of a very special community! :)

6. Meh.

This is very thoughtful, but I do hope the Lexicon considers expanding this project after this phase is complete. I mean no harm, but I would be more inclined to donate to a worthier cause. I shall donate to Forks though. :)

7. Devon061381 says:

If authors were smart, we’d start seeing a trend of stories taking place in parts of this country that we don’t hear much about, but that need our charitable contributions. Wouldn’t that be awesome to see whole cities and towns revitalized because of donations from readers of books who care about the places that house their favorite stories?

8. Bella+Edward says:

KNOCK DOWN FORKS HIGH SCHOOL??!!!! they CANT do that. Lex, I am behind u 100%

9. Devon061381
    That was beautifully said/written!
    I think this is a very worthy cause, no matter how small it is.

10. Ok, I’m just a lexicon blog reader, so I’m not sure where’s the best place to put this, but I wanted to let you know that Shocktilyoudrop has reported that Twilight’s MPAA rating has been announced, it’s PG-13! Some people were afraid it would be rated R, so this puts an end to that.

11. http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/latest_mpaa_ratings_121/

Twilight’s rating: PG-13!

And I’m glad you’re helping out, Lex. Great cause.

12. I would love to help. I definitely know what it means to live in a small town. My town has one stoplight, and very few businesses. I think it’s a worthy cause, but I can’t seem to get the link to open, either.

13. Dear Naysayers:
    THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY.

It’s how goals are realistically met. We as a community cannot fix Africa. Go find a charitable cause you care about instead of telling the Lex that theirs is not worthwhile.

14. lovemesomecullens says:

Well said Devon.

Of course there are MANY worthy causes in this country and around the world. Personally, I am ALL for supporting education for the future of THIS country…as well as around the world. Thanks for doing this Lex!

15. I didn’t say that it was not worthwhile; I stated that I know VERY small town life and agree that they need help, but there are thousands of towns like this in the U.S. Their (or “our,” I should say – I told you, I know the life of a small town, I’m living in one right now, a hole in the wall that if you blinked you’d miss it) hardships can be looked at as a gluttony of privelege from some areas of the world; I just think that personally, as my town’s in virtually the same predicament and we are able to manage satisfactoraly, my money would best be used elsewhere, in a cause for people much more needy than us.

16. Devon061381 says:

Caleb, there will always be endless amounts of “need” in this world, and it’s ridiculous to limit ourselves to one area that needs it more than anyone else – obviously, there are so many places that need help, so why not help all of them?

You can’t discriminate and prioritize needs, there are just too many that it’s overwhelming. People look at Africa and feel hopeless because their $25 donation is a drop in a very large bucket. But donating to a school in need is a goal that can be reached RIGHT NOW and is a huge morale booster to people who want to help humanity as a hole; they’ve accomplished something and come together to make it happen, and that makes people energized to move onto the next project that needs to be fulfilled.

It’s a jagged pill to swallow, but we can’t solve all the world’s problems. You just take one step at a time and keep moving. Africa may take centuries to straighten out; Forks High, and others like it, may take a few weeks…but if we treated all children in this country in need of schools the same way, who’s going to be around in another 100 years, educated and making money, to keep pouring money into Africa? Apparently, no one, with that mindset. We have to deal in terms of reality.

17. I’ve visited Forks a couple times, and the area does need some serious economic help. I just love the whole atmosphere of the town, and I would be absolutely thrilled to donate to help out!

18. Hey Everybody! I just wanted to let you know that the HOT TOPIC website is now featuring Twilight on thier homepage and they just added POSTERS for sale!!!

19. I just donated $5.

Hope it helps!

20. Small towns are constantly falling off the map…or being merged together by larger cities. The identity of the small town is lost somewhere by commercial building and chain companies. The mystique behind a small town is that “everyone knows everyone, and there is a true sense of community.”
    Is Forks High School really any different than any other school… in the reality sense no. All the schools in this country are in need of help. But, in the literary sense it is very different and unique. It has become a central location for a series of books that will be classics for generations to come. Wouldn’t it be great to help the small town out so that each generation has something to and visit on there quest for a little literary magic. As Twilight fans, we have been through the mill this summer with all the drama and divisions of what for the most part used to me a unified appreciation of a special series of books. I think it would be nice to see everyone come together to support a cause… saving a literary landmark town.
    I completely agree that there are many many needy and worthy causes.. in fact right in our homes now thanks to the economy… but, for those of us who want to save this literary town then great! Save Forks today… and hopefully other worthy causes tomorrow. Just a thought. There is clearly no right or wrong answer… just personal opinions.

21. Small towns are constantly falling off the map…or being merged together by larger cities. The identity of the small town is lost somewhere by commercial building and chain companies. The mystique behind a small town is that “everyone knows everyone, and there is a true sense of community.”
    Is Forks High School really any different than any other school… in the reality sense no. All the schools in this country are in need of help. But, in the literary sense it is very different and unique. It has become a central location for a series of books that will be classics for generations to come. Wouldn’t it be great to help the small town out so that each generation has something to go to and visit on their quest for a little literary magic. As Twilight fans, we have been through the mill this summer with all the drama and divisions of what for the most part used to be a unified appreciation of a special series of books. I think it would be nice to see everyone come together to support a cause… saving a literary landmark town.

22. I love the idea i think it’s great! I owe so much to the town of Forks, it’s always been there as my constant escape from reality. I really hope they don’t shut down the school.

23. The city of Forks and the surrounding area is, in my opinion, the most amazing place in the world. I agree that it is peacful and a wonderful place “to get away from it all.” The school is one of the landmarks that gives Forks character and charm, so I am definitley willing to donate in order to save it. If you haven’t been to Forks you should donate so that the building is still there when you eventually get a chance. Everyone should experience this city and all of its special nuances.

24. Devon061381 says:

Me and two friends are planning a trip to Portland (to “stalk” the movie set of New Moon, when it starts filming – hey, of course they’ll be making it), and are planning on touring Forks as well next Spring. It’ll be mighty satisfying to see Forks High either with construction underway or completely finished when we stop by, knowing my donation helped! I can’t wait to see it :)

25. i love edward cullen says:

OME!!! OME!!! I would TOTALLY HELP!! Exceept, that I’m BROKE :( THEY CAN’T KNOCK DOWN THAT HIGH SCHOOL!!! First, those kids deserve as much as I do,(i go to a Catholic High School)

Devon061381: I totally agree with your statment at 7:16. It spoke to me. take me with you to Portland and Forks!!! hahaha. JK! :)

26. i love edward cullen says:

oops, I meant -except- first line. ( It would help if I could type/spell today) I spelt ,like, every word on my Biology test wrong today.

27. It is Reneesme’s Birthday!! I loved the song earlier!!

This is un-Forks related, buuuttt…. THERE IS A SUPER GORGEOUS GUY IN MY BIO CLASS—NAMED EDWARD!!!!!!!!
    Sry, just had to get that out, he was moved up to Honors, and i couldn’t help but share with all you here at the Lex. (none of my friends obsess over the books the way I do, they didn’t appreciate it.)

28. TODAY IS NESSIE”S B-day!!!!!

29. I think this is such a great idea!

I’m from a small town, and I know that we’ve been able to save a few important buildings in our town through generous donations from both public and private sources.

Thanks to the lovely Lexicon Ladies for putting this together.

Let’s show the world what Twilighters can do when they get together, eh?

By the way, will there be a way to check how much we’ve raised? Perhaps a counter on the donation website would suffice.

30. I donated $5. Everyone should help out. Even $1 from every fan makes a difference. Don’t say “great idea, this will help out,” but then not donate anything. Each person that says that adds up and subtracts from the total fund. Every little bit counts!

31. Donation $20
    Twilight series $60
    Enjoyment and escapism of the series – Priceless

Cool building by the way.

32. Also, I agree that a counter on the website would be cool. :)

33. I wonder if the teenagers in Forks that attended that high school would rather see the old building restored or have a nice, new one with air conditioning… hmmm. ;) I wonder where the city’s funds stand. Also there is state funding for schools and such. But it’s a nice idea, anyways.

34. I donated $10. I’d donate more, but next weekend I’m going to Forks, and I’m donating to their Visitor’s Center then.

35. AWESOME idea!

Plus I wonder what Alice has planned for Bellas birthday.. lol. I bet Bella wont be happy, but Im sure Alice will deff have something planned lol.

36. I think this is a great idea. I just went and donated. I also think that it is awesome that Forks doesn’t have the chain stores. Much better to support local business’s.

37. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to donate anything, seeing as I am a starving college student right now with bills to pay.

But, I did post a bulletin regarding the cause on my Myspace. :D And the next time I make a post on my blog, I’ll be sure to mention it there as well.

You guys obviously have been hearts and I think it’s a beautiful thing that you’re getting Twilight fans together to actually make something happen for Forks. My town is very small, and still, we have more stuff than Forks.

You have come up with an amazing idea.

38. Bravo! This is why I love the Lex. It shows the good that a group of people with similar interests can accomplish if they put their minds to it.

39. Great idea!!! if everyone helps out, even if its te minimum amount, We should be able to do great things for the city of Forks. I love it!

40. As far as a new building w/ air conditioning goes, I’m not so sure they’re gonna need the AC. I was there in May and it was still pretty chilly, so idk if it would get much use, haha. Hopefully they’ll be able to do a pretty nice interior overhall for the students, but save the original structure.

41. Devon061381 said it perfect.

“I agree with the sentiment stated above: Think Globally, act locally. You work your way out. The USA is a country that unfortunately has a weird predicament of being a “super power” that has to police the world. No one ever wants us interfering in their business but if we don’t, everyone b*tches about it. If we don’t feed everyone else’s poor in the world, we get b*tched out and called spoiled. I’m all for us, as global citizens, helping everyone…but I think we especially need to take care of our own first, and then share our abundance with the rest of the world. That would be like the mother whose own children are starving, yet who feeds the neighbors across the street before feeding her own children. It makes no sense.”

Hear! Hear! If you want to save another town, then start a fund. But seeing as how this one is in need, I think I’ll start there since its been brought to my attention, and the fund has already been established.

42. The Bella Cullen Project will donate $2 of every CD sold from its website during the entire month of September to The Twilighters for Forks fundraising campaign! Let’s work together to save this building!

43. jenni_elyse says:

I had the chance to go to Forks this summer as well. It was so much fun! Anything to help out this community is a worthy cause!

I had the fortunate opportunity to go to the BD release party with Infinite Jewelry Co. and made a donation then. However, it’s such a worthy cause, I’m planning on giving more when I can. :)

44. I think this is ridiculous. Maybe in the future, you could use correct grammar ("its," not "it’s") to get your point across. Furthermore, I’m disgusted that you think all town need WAL-MART and MCDONALD’S to survive. It shows how American you are.

~~  I wasn’t saying the town needed a Wal-Mart or a McDonalds!  I was only trying to make a point through a relatable means of comparison.  Forks is a charming small town, but there is so little economy there to support the community that large project, like saving a historical building, are next to impossible.  The city is very greatful for any and all help we can offer them, or else they wouldn’t have set up the foundation as quickly as they did.  I’m sorry that you and so many others seem to be misinterpreting our message here.

45. To Lila -
    Maybe you could not be so judgemental, and maybe in the future, you could use Spellcheck (towns, plural).

46. I LOVE this idea! You guys rock! I was going to send $5, but my mom gave me another $20 for it. I hope they can put up something to show how much money we give.

47. Why are people getting so angry about the lexicon wanting to do something nice for those in need? It shouldn’t matter what continent or what the plight is that could use assistance from others! The fact is, the school is in need. I am someone who comes from a very small town that like Forks, only has one stop-light, one chain restaraunt (which happens to be Subway) one grocery store and no chain retail stores. The school district in my town doesn’t have a lot of money either and I know for a FACT that the entire community would be beyond thrilled to recieve any kind of help! I know what it feels like to go to school in a building that needs major repairs and having to share old textbooks with several classmates because there simply wasn’t money in the budget to take care of these things. I honestly believe that situations like this make for a harder learning environment. This cause is definetly something that hits close to home for me. Just because the money isn’t going to feed starving children in Africa doesn’t mean it isn’t any less worthy. Generosity breeds generosity! Who knows, maybe by helping Forks High school, they will be inspired to “pay it forward” and help out a school in Africa! Give when you can, and where you can

48. So apparently ppl are arguing about this? O-K. I would love to participate! Great idea, guys. :)

49. Devon061381 says:

Lila, don’t be ridiculous. No one here is saying that they’re going to put up a McDonald’s or Wal-Mart in Forks. Had you read the article, it’s about s-a-v-i-n-g a s-c-h-o-o-l. Personally, I don’t support Wal-Mart, and prefer to spend my hard-earned dollars at "real" local businesses, but that’s bedside the point. Just because it was mentioned that there was only one food chain in the town doesn’t mean that there is an agenda to go crazy on Forks and bring in the big corporations; I’m pretty sure it was just being mentioned to get across the point that the economy in the town is very sluggish, as there are a lack of businesses. Even if it IS a national chain, businesses keep dollars moving around in the community and provide jobs…which keep more money floating around in the community…basic economics…

~~~ EXACTLY!  I used those businesses as examples because I felt they would be recognized everywhere.  From what I remember, there literally are no recognizable name businesses in Forks outside of the gas station and the Subway.  Hence, big business just isn’t growing in that area.  Business brings in money, and when you can’t bring in money through business, the town suffers.  We saw a chance to save a historical building and contribute to a friendly city that so many fans have taken an interest in.  That’s all we were trying to do here.

50. Devon061381 says:

And Lex Admins, we thank you for that! It is such an awesome idea. Alphie and Pel, you both must have the patience of saints or something, because it boggles the mind how you put up with all of the nay-sayers, bickering, and ridiculousness that has been erupting frequently here (not to mention the whole hacking issue). You all deserve many pats on the back and tons of other good things, especially for this latest charitable effort! :)