Gil Birmingham interview

We had the honor to interview Gil Birmingham cast as Billy Black in the up coming film Twilight.

Some Highlights include:

"It’s really about the look AND the chemistry.  It’s nice when you audition and capture moments of magic."

"That’s funny. Who’s the real Chief here? Or the real Billy? Billy Burke is such an open personality that playing best friends just came naturally. And Taylor is the kind of young man that any father would be proud to have as a son."

We are grateful Gil was able to take a moment out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions for us.  Read more of what this wonderful actor had to say here

Comments

1. JordanaCullenx3 says:

cool interview !

2. awww he seems really sweet..even though I’m eternally a vampire girl, it seems like he’ll be perfect for Billy! Even if he is on the side of the werewolves (spit) lol!

3. little bonbon says:

i really like him as billy!!;-)
    he’s perfect…
    awesome interview!!!!

4. Wow he looks kind of mad in that picture. Would it kill someone to smile? Good job on the interview by the way.

5. Joanne Maria says:

Very unique personality…I think he will bring life to Billy Black. I LOVE his choices in music, very diverse and impressive!!!

6. wow i like the way he thinks, i can really picture him as billy black, i think he’ll do an amazing job.

7. he’s kewl…

8. TwilightT says:

The casting is perfect for Billy. I like the friendship that Billy and Charlie share. I hope they have a strong role in the story that will unfold in Breaking Dawn.

9. Danny Chipman says:

I won’t deny that I was personally hoping Graham Greene (Dances With Wolves, The Red Green Show) would get the role, but I think Mr. Birmingham will do a fine job as well!

10. caroline says:

I think he’s the perfect Billy. He’s very serious and proffesiona;

11. Personally, I couldn’t ask for a more perfect cast, and that includes Gil Birmingham. Great interview, I love his insight on Billy and how commited he is to the part! Thank you lexicon! :D

12. it’s all right Maggie, everyone deserves their opinion.
    But I do think he will make a great Billy…..edward on the other hand…….

13. Chelsea says:

He seems like he will do a great job as Billy. He is exactly how I imagined Billy to look.

14. this interview link is not working for me…

15. kCullen32 says:

Happy to have you on the movie Gil!!! You actually look almost exactly the way I pictured Billy Black to look. Helps. I have actually seen you in many movies. So, I know that you well be amazing. They’re lucky to have you!

16. Cullenist says:

i know what u mean kCullen32…i totally pictured billy black like that. i think he’s pretty much perfect for the role. the interview was good, but it would have been better if he had answered some of the questions specifically instead of giving such general answers….anyway – way to go Gil!

17. Definitely one of the best casting choices, imho.
    I never really liked Billy in the books all that much, but I like the actor playing him so it might change my opinion of him after I see the movie.
    I don’t remember seeing Gil Birmingham in any movies, but he’s pretty much the exact person I imagined in my mind when reading the books so I probably have seen him somewhere and my subconscious decided to be clever and imprint his face onto my brain.
    Haha, okay I’ll shut up now.

18. waterlily says:

Okay, when I saw that Gil had been cast as Billy Black I was so happy. Gil looks so strong and I think he will portray Billy in the right way.

19. I love Gil. He is my perfect Billy.

20. Jazmine says:

I’m so glad that Gil was cast for the role of Billy! He sounds like he’ll do the part justice, AND he’s got fantastic taste in music. What’s there not to love?

21. I think he’s the perfect Billy. Yay for great casting!! :)

22. cool! perfect for the part! great music taste!

23. Tatiana says:

Ya he’s basically amazing. He sounds great for the part. Hopefully Taylor is as great as he says he is.

24. I can hardly wait for the movie to see Gil pull Billy Black’s paternal stare when he’s telling Bella to not do what it is she’s doing. I’m glad the two dad’s of the film have become friends. that definitely helps! Thanks for the interview Twilight Lexicon and thanks for the answers Billy I mean Gil

25. that was a wonderful interview. he really seems to fit his part well. thanks lex!!

26. He seems really really nice! I think he will make a fantastic Billy!

27. haha Love him

28. I feel as strongly about Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson. They are all wonderful and talented people. Good times.

Hahaha my favorite expression just came out in an interview. GOOD TIMES. It says everything in two sentences. HAHA

29. I like Gil. He’s makes his roles all-natural. When I was reading the book, this is how I imagined Billy. Gil takes his profession seriously, yet knows how to add just the right amount of humor to make the character perfect. I’m getting really ecstatic as the countdown to the movie draws closer!!! Good job, Gil!

**yay, he likes the stage, too!!**

30. Wow! He is P.E.R.F.E.C.T to play Billy! I can’t wait to see him and Taylor on screen together!

31. He seems genuine and well adjusted to the character which is awesome. I like that he ‘gets’ Billy. I have always thought of Billy Black as a complex character, and I like that they have such a talented actor playing the part. As with most things on this film. . . They really seem to be getting it right so far :)

32. I was wondering what tribe is Gil. I was wondering about his heritage and what he might have pulled from to play Billy. I know everyone loves Taylor as Jacob, but I wondered whether he thought it would’ve been better/realistic to have a native playing Jacob. Also, has he gotten to hang out/work with Solomon. To me, he seems almost perfect as Sam.

33. Oh my gosh, he’s perfect for Billy! He’s so into being Billy and takes it so seriously that there’s no way he could do a bad job. I’m so excited!

34. Insomnia says:

I love the way he worded his reponses in the interview, I could almost hear Billy Black talking. I know Gil did a wonderful job with Billy, no doubt in my mind.

35. Silviael says:

I love his grasp of Billy. I’ve always liked that character, and I’m glad to see such a thoughtful man taking the part. I think he’ll be able to bring the complexity and depth of Billy onto the screen.

I can’t wait to see him and Taylor Lautner together!!

36. He sounds amazing–he sounds like he really has a handle on Billy, which is impressive since he’s such a deep character. Can’t wait to see him in New Moon and Eclipse! (fingers crossed)

37. He sounds like a really good man and it’s obvious how hard he’s worked to get into Billy’s character!!! I know he’s going to make us proud. Thanks for the interview :)

38. Oh, this is gonna be awesome! I can’t wait to see that “chemistry” with Jacob (Taylor)! Not to mention the rest of the cast. I can already see him as Billy. =]

39. Wow, he’s exactly like I pictured Billy. Absolutely perfect. And he seems so… nice, and laid back, which is exactly how Billy was portrayed in the books. Yay for a perfect casting here!

40. *sigh* Forget Jacob and Edward, can’t I just marry Billy Black? After reading that interview, I think I have a crush on Gil now…:-)

41. And now for a real comment…

His answers in this interview were very genuine, and I feel as if Gil will add so much to the film. He seems to be a thoughtful, intelligent person, who is very passionate about what he does, and about life in general. It’s amazing to read that interview, and see how he fits Billy Black so well – both men are role models, leaders, and very very very inspiring. I have a lot of respect for Gil after reading this interview. Thanks Twilight Lexicon!

42. Ouuu…he said they share a sense of humor…does that mean that Billy Black will have more lives than in the book? cuz he didnt really talk very much in the novel

43. Rosalind says:

when i saw the casting list, i immediately thought he was the best casted actor. He looks EXACTLY like my billy and when I re-read my books, I still picture my edward and my bella (although i must say, i’m warming up to kristen and Robert) but gil is definately still the same! all i can say is that i’m so glad he’s billy!! and now don’t we wish that there were more billy scenes in the movie/book?

44. B Cullen says:

I love him as Billy! :) He seems just as wise and chill as Billy ;) Love ya Gil!

45. JulietMontague says:

He’s gonna be PERFECT!

46. werewolfgirl says:

I love the casting for Billy Black, Gil Birmingham seems perfect to play him. Great interview

47. Bite-Me says:

I think Gil will make a perfect Billy.
    He seems sooooo lovely.

48. vampyreheart says:

This movie is going to R.O.C.K.!!!!!!

49. Man, I love Gil. Can I have him as my uncle or something?

50. great interview.can’t wait for the movie and see Taylor and Gil together=)

1. […] First, they have a new interview with Gil Birmingham, who is playing Billy Black!  To read it, click here! […]