Billy Burke Interview

Billy Burke, who plays Charlie Swan in the Twilight movie, gave us a very candid interview. Thanks to Billy for taking the time to talk to us, and thank you to Cocoa for acting as our interviewer.

Some highlights include:

"I tend to gravitate towards characters that carry their damage in their hip pocket."

"I don’t think there’s anything he wouldn’t do to make Bella happy and to have her back in his life."

"If I were motivated only by a desire to please everyone, I’m sure the result would be pathetic and I’d probably end up guzzling bleach in my trailer."

Billy’s speaks candidly from the heart using language that is stronger than previous interviews, and language that is stronger than what appears in the Twilight books. The interview is a strong PG-13.

Comments

1. What a BAMF! I like it that he’s so obnoxiously open about how he doesn’t read and thinks researching a role too much is stupid! Ha ha!

“Hi, I’m your Dad!” Ahahaha!

And his message to the fans was spot on! I like this dude alot!

2. Flute_genevive says:

I love him as Charlie! He’s going to be awesome! He may not admit it, but I think he’s got a lot in common with Charlie.
    He doesn’t need to read the books. I mean, if it was KStewart or RPattz not reading, then I would be worried. but charlie? he’s not that hard of a character to figure out.
    I didn’t mind the swearing (but thanx for the warning!)…besides, I think we’ve all heard what a potty-mouth Rob has. LOL.
    Anyway – great interview. I love the bluntness! Awesome and can’t wait for more!

3. BlackRaven2106 says:

hahaha that was funny to read. hes great! i have no worries that hes gonna be great in the film. i think hes a really good actor and knows what hes doing. i think hes honest and down to earth and cant wait for the movie :] thx for the interview.

4. Tatiana says:

Haha a little full of himself, isn’t he?
    He kinda acts like everyone else has no idea about anything at all to do with movies, so thats pretty annoying.
    But still idk i kinda like that he was at least honest?
    Its weird but i love him and hate him at the same time.

5. Nansoir says:

I’m a librarian and just in case Billy might read some of these comments (which I doubt), there’s always the AUDIO version of the book. No reading required and great for all that downtime on the set!

A good comeback for the interviewer, too, whenever someone mentions that they don’t like to read.

6. Brianna says:

well i just lost half the respect i dad for him.
    i can’t remeber charlie swearing that much in all of the books combined times three.
    does he realize how horrible that makes him look?
    and that he hasn’t read the book. no way i would ever be in a movie that was based off of a book and not read the book.
    dissapointed in him now.

7. Brianna says:

*had not dad*

8. Stephie says:

After that interview, I have the slight inclination that I’ll be lovin’ me some Charlie, just as much as Edward, when the movie comes out.
    I love the interviews when the celebrities talk like they aren’t reading off of a script, makes it a much more interesting read (plus, I’m a sucker for colourful language).
    So he doesn’t sound like ‘Charlie’ in the interview, but really, should he? He was much more serious in ‘Untraceable’. Therefore, if he can act like another person there, then why be worried that he can’t act in character for ‘Twilight’.
    I’m sure they wouldn’t have chose him, if he wasn’t convincing!

9. Adriana says:

I’m so happy the man is made of flesh and blood, and says what’s in his heart, refreshing from all The “fakes” in Hollywood.

10. I LOVE this man! He is hillarious! I think he’ll be GREAT! He’s a no nonsense kinda guy! He hasn’t read the book, who cares, he totally gets Charlie on another level!

11. crystal says:

haha. hes so funny. i like him just in himself. as charlie, not so much. i pictured older, fatter, shyer, kindof .but hey, he seems to know the character pretty well and hes a good actor. so i think he will do a fine job.

12. i love this guy. very bold, very colorful. interesting =)

13. i love him! finally someone whose not afaird to take our crap.

14. haha hes way to handsome to be charlie. i dont mind:D

15. La tu Cantante says:

I Completly LOVE Billy Burke now!!!
    I havn’t laughed so much reading an interview until now, I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable for me so far!
    I agree with him on the dream role part and I also don’t mind if he hasnt read Twilight or might not finish it. I believe he has firm grip on who Charlie is too.
    It was Incredible how much him and I have the same on the outlook of things!!!!!! He is somebody I could soo hang out with!!!
    and Thank you Billy for the comment to the fans you left on the bottom! I couldn’t have said it any better and I also couldn’t agree more!!!!!!!!!

16. melinda says:

i like him . very blunt . haha . although, he is younger looking than i picture charlie in my head . that’s okay though . he’s a pretty… good-looking dad .

….bella’s dad has got it going on….

:P

17. yay for being real with the fans!

18. laurarob says:

Karen:
    I’m so glad you said something about 24! My husband and I are huge 24 fans. I made that connection a while ago and am excited such great actors are playing such diverse characters. I loved Nina until the ultimate plot twist and Kims’s boss (Burke) was scary! I think both will be totally convincing as Bella’s parents.

19. Well, he and Stephenie can certainly have a fun time talking about music. xD
    I like ‘im.
    And I guess he’s reading the book, so that’s good, haha.
    The Kristen/plane bit made me giggle. Hah.

20. Wolbachia says:

Ah, he’s awesome.

I cracked up at the stalker bit. XD

21. only just read the interview, my comment before was just after seeing the picture… i LOVE him!!

and oh yes we do care if youre single.

lol melinda, yes, bellas dad has got it going on…:D

22. The Twihard says:

He’s PERFECT for Charlie. He doesn’t seem like the kind of actor with a big ego, that good, actually, he seems so normal, like a friend.

23. Nansoir says:

Also, I’ve read Twilight about a million times and I’m glad that they’re putting new stuff in it. I want to be pleasantly surprised in the theater. I heard that Stephanie let them use material from Midnight Sun. Also, the special effects and the new action scenes should make our hearts beat even faster…if you can imagine that!!!!

24. He’s funny :P

25. HAHAH,
    HE IS SOO HONEST
    FUNNY MAN,
    ;)

26. Cassiek says:

Oh god he didn’t know that in the movie he doesn’t know about bella n the vamps?

But i did like the oprah book part lol

27. Lindsey says:

OK, I like him. The way he thinks and the way he talks really were similar to the way I pictured Charlie.

And I loved the Oprah comment too!

28. Adriana says:

I didn’t know he was in 24, than I guess I only glimpse through that show.

29. twilightroxs says:

he rocks lol

30. mrsjasperhale says:

Haha, that was great! Thanks Cocoa!

He seems very funny and real – no BS. I think he’s quite a talented actor. I watched him in 24, and he really gave me the creeps (he was supposed to – his character beats his daughter/wife), and am looking forward to him in Twilight.

His sense of humour is awesome too.

31. To Brittany: Please don’t try to insult me with the use of film. My whole family is in the film business–I literally grew up on movie sets. There is no such thing as acting where there is no part of the actor’s own personality in the role. No matter how miniscule, there is ALWAYS a part of the actor’s personality in the role. Here is a good example: I met Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel. They act very similar to their characters in the Gilmore Girls. Except Alexis is even more shy and Lauren is even more talkative, if that’s possible. (Sorry Pel and Alphie, but it makes me very upset when someone thinks that they know more about film than I do who obviously doesn’t know much about film.)

-Lets end this argument here before it turns into something more.  ~Cocoa

32. Ha Ha that’s so funny bout the dad thing. Hey guys heads up if u haven’t already head over to His golden eyes.com and check out there new info they have some great very close up’s of bella and edward. :) and some jacob stuff.

33. Midnitergrl says:

Oh gosh, this guy is priceless! I can’t wait to see him in the movie. =)

34. I like him.
    I think it’d be pretty interesting to see how his personality affects his role as quiet, protective, fatherly Charlie. Personally, while it would be endearing and a little helpful for him to read Twilight in its entirety, I don’t think he really needs to from what he’s shown in the interview. To me, he’s got Charlie right on the money (or close to it, anyway, lol). If they ever get to do New Moon, I could seriously imagine him as the father silently grudging his daughter’s boyfriend and thinking thoughts that Bella would rather not hear :D

35. He seems like a really good choice for Charlie – but I am saddened over the lack of enjoyment he has in reading. I wonder if he has ever tried audio books. Although I love reading, not every book grabs my attention. (Lord of the Rings comes to mind.) I’m glad he’s at least trying to read the books. How can anyone not get literally sucked into the Twiligh Universe?

36. Vote Stephenie on the TIME thing.

She is losing to BRITNEY SPEARS!

37. I WAS JUST ON TWILIGHT MOM’S WEBSITE AND THEY UPLOADED PICTURES OF ROBERT AND KRISTEN WHILE FILMING AND THERE IS GOING TO BE AN INTERVIEW WITH BOTH ROB AND KRISTEN ON MTV SOME TIME NEXT WEEK. HERE IS A LINK TO THE PICTURES : http://twilightmomsforums.freeforums.org/tmi-report-officially-on-the-set-4-4-08-adds-p-15-23-t5259.html

38. Thanks! I love reading interviews :D

He sounds like a cool guy and I can’t wait to see him play Charlie. I think that he will do great :)

39. rose red says:

I loved the fact that he spoke his mind and was so frank about playing the part of Billy I also like the message at the end I think all the Twilight crazies like me ;) should read it because frankly im tired of hearing all the whining about the movie not being exactly like the book i mean i really dont give a crap that Ashley’s hair is like 2in longer than alices or that jacksons hair is curly as long as they get great actors and stay true(not word for word)to the book is all i care about and im confident that they are doing just that.

40. lala-swan says:

Thanks Cocoa, a BIG hug for you!! And this guy is really outspoken, he doesn’t pretend to be what he’s not….I really think he’s gonna make a good job as Charlie!

41. Saiyachick says:

All the actors are dedicated, and I’m sure Billy is dedicated as well. Yeah, he may not show the softness like some other people, but that is who he is. Don’t insult someone just because they don’t fit your expectations. You don’t like it? Don’t watch it.

The actors are all great. I’ve written to them and got amazing responses. They are all humble and want to makes Twilight really good for Stephenie and all the fans.

For those of you who disagree, I suggest you stick to the book instead of whining about how not good the movie is going to be EVEN THOUGH it has yet to be released.

By the way, thanks for clearing up my question, Pel =)

42. hpwright says:

That was a great interview. He’s spot on. I like this dude. Book Charlie: never saw as remotely hot. Movie Charlie: kinda sexy.

43. hahaha he is so great and yummy! oh wait he is Charlie, it is a bit weird that Charlie is hot.

44. This guy is extremely practical and down to earth. He may not BE a Charlie, but that’s okay. He’ll do just fine.

45. hmmm. That was interesting. Does the cussing bother anyone else? I know it bothers me, I was actually getting used to him being Charlie but now I really don’t like him.

46. CullenWannabee says:

I don’t mind the swearing, but thats just my opinion. I really do like him as Charlie, “Hi, I’m your Dad” ROTFL! Soooo anxious for the movie!

47. Nicole: says:

Wow….

Kind of crude, but the blunt honesty really is refreshing….
    ;)

48. Oh candid, my favorite type. I wouldn’t have an interview any other way!

49. Just saw Billy on a Law and Order last week. He is so darn cute, and I agree with almost everyone else…he’ll make a great Charlie…….a little cranky, a little rebellious and a cutie pie. :)

50. That was a really good interview, you guys are great! As for Billy, I didn’t expect him to be brutally honest…which just makes me love him even more! Hah. It’s cool though, he’s funny! I loved the message he added in the end, he’s sooo right! I wish people would just get that into their brains, already!

PS: As for all of you who awkwardly admit he’s hot…you’re not alone! Lol. I mean, I kinda felt weird that when I read all the books, I had this fatherly image in my head. But wow, when I saw Billy, dang. He’s hot. =P

PPS: Cocoa, you rock! Thanks a bunch! =]