USA Today 2007 book highlights

USA Today did an article on the books in 2007 that were the biggest sellers. Eclipse is number three in the list.

Eclipse is still leading the pack on Amazon and the NY Times Bestseller List as well.

Comments

1. :D :D :D

Yay! That is sooooo great! I’m glad it’s getting all the attention it deserves!!! Eclipse was the best!

GO ECLIPSE!!!! :D :D :D

2. It’s weird and funny how Twilight is always talked about parallel to Harry Potter. Even in the summary on that USA Today list, they mentioned Harry Potter twice. And the summary was only three-ish sentences long.

I always find it amusing how Twilight and Harry Potter are just always… together.
    Like, Twilight can’t escape Harry Potter’s shadow.
    And now with Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory) playing Edward, the MAIN character, I don’t think it ever really will.
    Cheers!

3. ALL the twilight books are amazing

I’m not surprised at all about the attention these books have been getting..
    it’s absolutely logical for the twilight saga to be one of the bestselling novels in the country

GO STEPHENIE!

4. I am excited. Hopefully it will be as popular enough to continue the entire series on film.
    Ironic how people are saying it will be as good as Harry Potter.
    Unfortuantely I think that Harry Potter will always come first. That is all my opinion though. I am even watching Goblet of Fire right now.
    But hopefully Twilight will be close.
    Since it is like my second loved novel ever.
    [=
    Go TWILIGHT, NEW MOON, ECLIPSE, BREAKING DAWN, ect etc etc.

5. I do agree with you Rainy, the the twilight series have always been shadowed by the Harry Potter books
    I really enjoy the HP books as well and think that they’re magnificent novels..but in my opinion, I think this just shows how great the twilight series is, and can be compared to another great series, hp

6. The only reason Twilight has been shadowed by HP is because it appeals to more people, is a different genre, and a generally a better book. Twilight will NEVER be as good as HP simply because there’s no competition. I dunno what is up with the drooling fangirls bashing HP. This book is primarily popular in the US (I know cause I travel A LOT and I’ve never seen other Twilight copies other than the German) and HP is known worldwide, it has sold 13 million copies. Twilight is an OK book, I really don’t like how Meyer rights and how there a week conflicts and basically slim foreshadowing. But it’s a romance novel at the end, so yeah…I think HP is better.

7. *writes

Ahahah.

8. I wanted unknown actors for all of the characters SO badly, so I’m happy there’s an open call for at least one of them. Hurrah for Jacob!

*grumbles that that “one” wasn’t Bella*

9. This is a Twilight fansite, not a Harry Potter bashing sight. Most people here would say that Twilight is better than Harry Potter. It is interesting how Twilight is always shadowing Harry Potter…

Did we only outrun HP for a week? I thought it was more than that…

10. Eclipse BETTER be leading the pack in NTY and Amazon!!

it’s the best effing book out there!!

… especially when Bella punched Jake in the face and broke her hand. I DEFINITELY laughed out loud for literally five minutes!

Stephenie Meyer is LOVE!… and life… definitely a goddess too.

11. edward loves nicole says:

i feel that they shouldn’t compare Twilight with Harry Potter because their genres are not the same. Twilight is more deep and it satisfies the young adults imagination. I’m really amazed by Stephenie’s imagination. :) its good that she changed our stereotype thinking of vampires and werewolves.

i really hope and expect ;) that Edward turns Bella into a vampire in the Breaking Dawn or i will be really sad :(

GO STEPHENIE!!!! :)

12. Yay for Eclipse! But I don’t think that list is in order, though – I mean, Harry Potter is mentioned way down and yet it says that it’s the number 1 book of 2007. So awesome that Eclipse made the list, but I don’t think it made it as number three… just as one of the biggest sellers of 2007.

Which is still a huge accomplishment so congrats Stephenie whiiie! :)

13. Thats good!

14. Congratulation Stephenie, you deserve the best!

15. Pineappl92 says:

Wow, that’s awesome!
    And I agree with everyone on how they shouldn’t be comparing Twilight with Harry Potter becuase they are completely different books and thus should not be compared to each other. Their plots are completely different, as well as their genres, even their characters are different.

16. Wow! Congrat’s to Stephenie! It looks like Eclipse is doing great! I’m sure Breaking Dawn is going to be on that list as well when it comes out! YAY! Go Twilight Saga!!! :D

17. vampirelvr says:

YAY!!! go stephenie!!!! Although i do think that the twilight series is better than HP, that is just my opinion.

18. vampirelvr says:

and Janis, saying that twilght will NEVER be as goos as HP, that is YOUR opinion and not a fact. i think it’s the other way aorund, but then again, that’s my opinion

19. One more time with feeling. The only way the press compares Harry Potter and Twilight are in sales totals. They are totally different genres. Right now this week, all three Twilight books are out selling all seven Harry Potter. The twilight Saga was the first book to knock Harry Potter off the top rung and historically it was the quickest a Potter book had ever been knocked off and it was the first time a YA book did the knocking.

The owners of this site and in fact Stephenie herself all love Harry Potter. In fact in the Today Show interview Stephenie was asked about Harry Potter and she said, “She finds that flattering but a bit baffling because there will never be another Harry Potter.”

So, to use one of my slogans that I usually use when discussing Edward and Jacob, but here I’ll use it in reference to Twilight and Harry Potter…WHO SAYS I HAVE TO CHOOSE?!

20. i love the twilight books, and they are only getting half of the attention they deserve.

I read Twilght twice in a week, and New Moon twice in four days! I may have not read Eclipse yet, but I will soon!

~ :)

21. This is so great! Stephenie deserves this!

22. Twilight and Harry Potter are always compared. It is weird how easily they can be compared, too. Twilight the Movie has Robert Pattinson, like Harry Potter. They are also both fantasy and can be young adult books. The press loves to compare them. I love them both, but in my opinion Harry Potter took so long to come out that i got a little bored with it. I do not have anything against J.K. Rowling but I like Twilight better.

23. :D

!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

24. oh, and also, I don’t think many people are bashing Harry Potter here. They are just saying their veiws, and this is a Twilight fansite, so what can you expect?

25. that’s friggen awesome!!! i think we have a bigger fan base then harry potter though. oh well this is sooooo cool!

26. personally i love both! but i like Twilight teeeny bit more because of Edward teehee

27. http://www.tdn.com/articles/2008/01/19/area_news/10064367.txt

This is an article about the high school that will be used in filming Twilight.

28. wellz.. no duh twilight is an amazing book!! ya gotsta luvs it=) it’s being filmed @ Kalama High school! in Vacouver, WA!! yay!

29. Hellish Red Devil says:

Not a surprise. World domination, I tell ya…world domination… ;)

30. Rayne Girl says:

Well, if everyone is going to compare Harry Potter to Twilight I’m going to say my opinion… I think that they are both the best series ever!!! They are my favorite books, and everyone is right.. they’re very different… And if you guys like those books you should read these two series because they’re really good: Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath(coming out soon) and Eragon, Eldest, Empire(coming out later this year.) Any way, these are all of my favorite books, so you guys might like ‘em…

31. lil_voice1 says:

eclipse beat harry potter!!!! yay!!!!

32. Eclipse is becoming more and more popular.

It’s only a while left until the movie comes out and then suddenly Twilight will ge HUGER!!!

Mwahahahaha!!! Twilight is taking over the world!!!

33. Claire Ateara says:

OMG! 4 MILLION BOOKS!!! THAT’S INSANE!! -ly awesome! lol

And, Eclipse beat HP by 5 books! That’s not easy to do…

GO ECLIPSE!!! :D

34. I personally love Harry Potter and Twilight equally, because they’re both so different. I’ve been a fan of HP longer than Twilight, but I’ve grown close to both series’ characters. J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer both write their books with extraordinary detail, I feel like I’m there dueling with Voldemort or making out with Edward :). It doesn’t really matter how many books are being sold and the fact that the Twilight books are outselling HP. Have we all forgotten that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (1st book) came out in 1997????? Or 1998, I forget which…And Twilight came out just three years ago??? So, basically everyone that’s going to read the Harry Potter books most likely already has a copy, and if someone hears about the amazing Twilight series, their going to rush out and buy a copy of each book. Harry has been around longer, and Twilight is just a newborn in his spectacled eyes. There’s really no comparison.

35. Since everyone is comparing,

You have to also remember, NY Times and amazon, ect. Bestseller lists are updated WEEKLY. Most people I know went out and bought Harry Potter 7 the DAY it came out, because it was the last book. There were, like, 500 people at the midnight release at the store I went to, maybe more. Eclipse is different…it wasn’t AS big on its release day, even though it was a BIG release. More people are still starting to discover the Twilight Series, so of course it is going to get to #1, considering the list is updated WEEKLY.

I also agree with Cilla. I don’t think that that list is in order either, because it DOES say that Harry Potter was the #1 bestseller of 2007…..But, It is a HUGE accomplishment for Twilight to have made it onto the list.

I don’t want to choose if I like HP or Twilight better, because, for me, they are both the same.

Yay! James Patterson also made it onto that list! It says he is the number 2 author for 2007, and that J.K. Rowling sold 3 times as many books as him, landing at the #1 author for 2007.

36. As an addition to my other comment, this is the NY Times Bestsellers of 2007 list-thingy.

It is a list of bestsellers in order from which ones sold the most.
    All seven HP books made it, the 7th one being number 1 on the list.

All 3 Twilight books also made it.

Eclipse— #16
    New Moon—#29
    Twilight—#18

Coolio

37. Harry Potter 7 sold 8.3 copies in the first 24 hours….I wonder how many Eclipse sold…It would be cool to find out. Same with Twilight and NM.

38. Pinkfurball says:

Congrats Stephenie!!!

Eclipse was 3rd and Harry Potter 7 was 8th on th list!!!!!!!!!

39. BellaCullen says:

Eclipse is awesome! i have read it like 30 times along with twilight and new moon 30 times each too! i find myself quoting it when i talk and it drives my friends insane! back to the book highlights… i never got through harry potter so i cant compare them, but i know about them because my friend is obsessed. i agree that they are completely different but in my eyes twilight will always outshine hp (just my opinion). congrats stephenie and i cant wait for breaking dawn and midnight sun!

40. Kristina Cullen says:

I love Eclipse, i feel like the Twilight books are going to get more popular now since the Harry Potter books are over. But you really can’t compare them, both of them are amazing but for different resons, love them both.

41. snaps at twilight says:

I

42. i have to agree!!! i went to the library to check out eclipse. ALL 61 copies were checked out. 111 people were on the waiting list!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA!!

43. Maddie Cullen says:

Totally Awesome! I’ve re-read these books about 20 times! :) There BRILLIANT! I simply CAN NOT WAIT for Breaking Dawn, Midnight Sun…and TWILIGHT the movie! :) Majorly excited The first three are so RAD! LOL Keep it up Stephanie! … without you there would be no Edward Cullen… That is scary to think about!

44. IseL08Drgn says:

Twilght, New Moon, & Eclipse are the best books I’ve read in my whole life. Whenever I read it the Scenes come alive.
    She describes the characters so well.

45. I have a question, but I dont know how to properly ask it. How many copies did Twilight sell?

46. Well, I love both of them, but I think that HP is more popular as it is more embraced but both gender but Twilight appeals more to girls. And Kristina Cullen- I don’t think that the HP series is over just yet- JK’s Beedle and Bard are coming out in 8 days. Speaking of over, the Twilight saga will be coming to an end too, once MS and the Vampire Guide is out, I think.