Looking For Jacob Black

There is an article in the Yakoma Herald Today about there being an open call to fill the role of Jacob Black for the Twilight movie.

The next bit is copied from the casting agency’s  MySpace which SillyBella graciously sent to me. If anyone from the agency is reading this and would prefer than we not list the items please email me at pelirroja_ljc@yahoo.com.  I can’t directly link to the MySpace page because my work filtering software won’t let me.

Also, before everyone starts asking, to the best of my knowledge Stephenie has not given anyone the rights to do a sequel, but film companies standardly put sequels into an initial contract hoping to get the same actors if the film really takes off (Pirates of the Caribean anyone?).  It’s their hope that then the author would want them to do a sequel if they do a good job on the first one and they have taken the first step to insure a successful sequel happens by making sure the original cast is available.

From the Lana Veenker Casting Myspace:

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

THE SEARCH IS ON FOR NATIVE AMERICAN TEEN TO PLAY KEY ROLE IN MAJOR MOTION PICTURE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 15, 2008

"Twilight" begins shooting in Oregon at the end of February

PORTLAND, ORE. Lana Veenker Casting announced today that it is seeking a 16-18 year old Native American male to play a significant role in the upcoming Summit Entertainment film "Twilight," directed by Catherine Hardwicke.

The film is based on the publishing phenomenon "Twilight," written by Stephenie Meyer, and is highly anticipated due to its popularity among young adults.

"Director Catherine Hardwicke is keen to find the right teenager for the role of Jacob," says Casting Director Lana Veenker, owner of the Portland, Oregon-based casting company. "Besides being an authentic Native American, he needs to have charm and charisma. At this point, Catherine is more concerned about finding someone with the right looks and personality, than she is about prior acting experience. And he needs to be available for sequels! This will be an amazing opportunity for one lucky teenager."

An open casting call will take place in Portland on Saturday, January 19, 2008, from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm at Lana Veenker Casting, 2580 NW Upshur Street, Portland, Oregon 97212. Applicants who fit the age and ethnicity requirements for the role will have their photos taken and may be asked to read lines in front of the director.

Applicants who are unable to attend Saturday’s open call should email their contact information and a photo to talent@slateplease.com. More information is available on the casting company’s website at slateplease.com or on its MySpace page at myspace.com/lanaveenkercasting.

No other roles will be considered at the open call, but persons interested in working as extras on the film can send their information to Rutabaga Background Casting, the extras division of Lana Veenker Casting. Instructions are available at sayrutabaga.com.

Additional information about working as an extra is posted on the Rutabaga MySpace page at myspace.com/sayrutabaga.

Comments

1. I hadn’t thought the postition would be so hard to fill that they would have have an open casting call… Well, that means that we know that Jacob hasn’t been cast yet. Good luck to all the guys here who are dying to audition.

2. cullengirl says:

It’s nice to know that the directors and producers are serious about their cast. I’m really happy that are indeed looking for a Native American boy to play Jacob.

3. Omg. I’m really super excited now.
    I’m glad they’re is taking everything seriously. I think they’re going to be a great team

4. I can’t wait to find out who they cast! :)

5. withoutawarningsmile says:

thank god i love in oregon.

6. So After tomorrow, we might have another update . Yay. And it’s probably an unknown. I’d like that.

7. Mrs_Topaz_Eyes says:

withoutawarningsmile, you said it.
    Oregon and Washington, though.
    I am so excited that there’s a casting call for a Jake!
    Do you think this might happen with any other characters?
    Imagine 100+ Alice-to-be actresses in one room! AH!

8. Mrs_Topaz_Eyes says:

wait. Sorry. I meant that I love Oregon and Washington. I don’t live there. I live in NV. sorry.

9. This is incredibly exciting. I finally feel the movie is getting somewhere. This means so many great things for all of the Twilight fans simply anxious to see the movie.

This also means another thing: the other characters being announced will not be far behind. Definitely something we’re all going to be watching out for in the weeks to come.

I have such a good feeling because so far they’ve assembled a very strong cast. I’ve been absolutely pleased.

How wonderful to know that one lucky teen will be adored many times over by Team Jacob fans!

Break-a-leg to anyone that’s auditioning!

10. Obnoxious moronic DOG says:

OOOH! I CANT WAIT FOR A JACOB! They should be pretty good looking if they have to do open casting!

11. KatieTheFish says:

So this means they haven’t got a full cast and are just not announcing it as I previously thought.

12. ‘Significant role’? Jacob was barely in Twilight. New Moon I would call a significant role.

13. Joanie1119 says:

OMG!!!!!!!!! I wanna go!!!!!!!!!!! I just want to see who shows up, and, of course, see who gets cast (although it is possible they might not have done that by the end of tomorrow).

But still!!!!!!!!!

14. Twilight~Apple says:

EEEEKKK im so excited that we finally have progress on the casting!!! i am so glad that they are findig the right Jacob!!

15. Joanie1119 says:

Jacob was a significant role in “Twilight”, he pretty much spilled the beans on the Cullens!

16. That’s so cool…and that really is a perfect opportunity for one lucky guy who wants to be an actor.

17. haha, finally! this means we’re gonna get a genuine guy from the area to play jake! i personally would rather have whoever plays him to be a unknown; it’s worked geat in so many other movies.

18. YAYYYYY…wait…it says key role…is that referring to what he tells Bella in the first book or that they are tweaking it to give jacob a bigger part?! -hopes for the former-

19. Obnoxious moronic DOG says:

They should actually go to Forks and go to the Quiletes and ask if they want to have a go

20. MISS-E-CULLEN says:

I hope they choose someone who is tallentet

21. That’s very exciting news. I think it’s kind a difficult job to find Jacob because since they are thinking of a sequel already the boy must first look boyish and then all of sudden look much bigger and older…I know there is cg and make-up to do that job. But he must be very convincing with the change. And I guess at the same audition they could find other la push boys,too like Sam,Quil…I just wish them good luck. They might find next breaking star like Johnny Depp,Ashton Kutcher…Did you know they are native american descendants?

22. What does immediate release for January 15, 2008 mean?

It’s a standard heading on any press release. It lets publication know when they are allowed to publish "release" the information that is given to them.

pel

23. i need to see the trailer .. like pronto .. i hope its good!!!

24. I don’t have any idea how movies are made, but it seems like they’re casting pretty late, especially if they start filming next month like their supposed to. Everyone should spread the word to any Native American Jake-esq guys they know

25. I dunno about you guys, but to me, says this is terrible news. Supposedly, they’re filming next month, supposedly they’re looking for SAG members, supposedly this and that. But here we are January 18th, with an open casting call for Jacob Black? Such an important character? This tells me they’re unprepared.

26. this says*

Sorry, looks like I’m a little dyslexic.

27. Danobanano says:

Seriously SillyBella, where you do find these obsure references to our fandom?
    Thanks for keeping us in the know :)

28. awesomeness

29. They can do all the filming that does not include Jacob or other characters for months. I have worked on many sets & they don’t film in order. They could wait till June to film the scenes with Jacob & be completely fine. They do this type of thing all the time when they need an actor for only a few parts & not the entire movie. They can just shoot the scenes with Jacob at the end.

I have no worries whatsoever, but I am thinking of sending my resume in to be an Extra. I live in AZ, but would have no problm relocating for a few days or weeks just to be a part of this amazing experience!

30. Levis:

Jacob Back doesn’t really have that big a role in Twilight, other than the big scene where he talks about “the Cold Ones”. Summit could definitely still film the rest of the movie starting in January, even if Jacob hasn’t been cast. They could just save the few scenes that he is in until they finally cast him.

31. Ashley, you beat me. :)

32. Well, Jacob Black confessed everything to Bella, which is quite a big part. -___- I understand that they can film whenever they want and out of order, but didn’t they say they wouldn’t do casting calls? It doesn’t matter, I don’t really want to see the movie.

33. Teresa Cullen says:

i didin’t think they would cast jacob for twilight cause he isn’t really big, i mean, that’s what they did for the harry potter movies….

THIS IS GREAT!! i’m sooooo happy they are going to put him in! YES

34. Obnoxious moronic DOG says:

Will they make a new moon film? I just heard random things by people that they need a jacob that will grow older suggesting there might be a second film?

35. My cousin would be perfect for Jacob. The only thing is that he refuses to grow his hair, and he has a shaved head. Anyway, he’s the right age and he’s native american. Too bad he can’t act to save his life…

36. And just because they announced this today doesn’t mean that we will be hearing anything about who is Jake in the next twenty four hours. They need to audition as many boys as they get and give everyone a chance, since Catherine is so set on finding the perfect Jake, and then they have to go through the screen tests and contact whoever they want to have a callback and then once they cast the boy they have to have a contract written up and signed before they can announce anything. *breathes* Okay. I’m not sure, but I’m guessing that they auditioned Kristen and Robert weeks before they announced that they were in the movie. It has to be legal before anyone can say anything.

37. Hellish Red Devil says:

This is very exciting/squee-worthy! SQUEE! :D

38. I wish I was native american and a male! Then I just MIGHT be able to meet Robert Pattison!!!! agh! Lucky people!

39. If they’re planning on doing sequels, then I would bet a lot that Jake’s part will be increased for Twilight. They’d want to introduce the character more thoroughly so it would make perfect sense to everyone when Bella went to visit him in NM.

40. no wonder no announcements have been made!
    I hope they find the right person!

41. Somehow “highly anticipated” doesn’t seem enough to describe the obsession we feel to get this movie out already.

42. Hmmh…

I just cannot wait until the other casting information is released. I swear…I’m checking the Lexicon, and Stephenie’s website CONSTANTLY just for to see more about the movie.

ARG! WHY AM I SO IMPATIENT? I can’t handle this type of anticipation!

43. Wow, I’m surprised that they had to do open calls for Jacob. Eh, who cares? I just hope he’s cute looking ;-)

44. *squeals* I’m so excited! I hope the pick the right guy!

45. stregoni benefici says:

Eek! I’m so excited! Right now I’m very proud to live in Portland =) and I’m right outside that zip code…!!

Yup, Oregon has lots of forests and rain. If they’re filming in Feburary, it will be raining for sure. Yay for authenticity!

Oh gosh, I wonder which forest they’re going to film in. I could audition to be an extra! (exciting…)

46. I think they should have put some kind of warning in the description that whoever got the role was going to have to fend off rabid fangirls for years to come. It would be cruel to not tell them EXACTLY what they’re getting into. lol.

47. How many books have been sold so far in all?

48. ?

49. Moonpetal Lily says:

Good luck, future Jacob! It’ll be tough to choose someone thinking of the sequel- what age do they want him to look in each? Even though it makes sense that they want the description to fit (duh, we all know what Jake looks like…even if it’s different for each), it’s interesting that they care less about prior experience. As long as they get someone with excellent acting ability, who cares? This is a good movie for an unknown to hit it off- fangirls will either be cursing or worshiping him!

50. I really wish I lived in Oregon right now! I would die to just be an extra….. Anyway, I hope they find the perfect Jacob!