Kristen Stewart cast as Bella Swan

It’s official!

Kristen Stewart has been cast in the roll of Bella Swan for the Twilight movie.  This means so many great things, folks.  This means that Summit films has officially been given the option, that the movie has a full green light, and that very soon we will have a full cast to report!

Personally, I am excited about this!  Kristen has a nice list of credits to her name that include some very strong, developed characters.  To read the press release as well as Stephenie’s own comments on the decision, visit Stephenie’s website

I have started a thread on our message boards where you can discuss the casting.  Make sure you read my first post and our official position on the movie before chiming in.   The comments are now locked thanks to a few girls who couldn’t control their language or their use of net speak.  If you would like to discuss this topic, do so on the message boards.

The Twilight Lexicon’s Official Movie Position

1.    Just because someone doesn’t “look the part” doesn’t mean they can’t act. It’s Hollywood. They have more hair dye, make-up, and prosthetics then probably anywhere else on the planet. They can make anyone look any way they want. They can also use CGI to fill in any gaps.

2.    An actor’s/actress’ personal life is no reflection of their talent. They can be a squeaky clean, goody-goody, an absolute party-animal, or anything in between. It is no reflection of their acting skill.

3.    If someone was not like Bella or Edward in another film, this is a good thing. Again, it’s called acting. We would be very worried about them casting someone who couldn’t take on different personas.

4.    In the opinion of the owners of this website, it is absolutely sexist and shallow to have commentary like “her nose is too tiny she could never be Bella” or “she needs to drop 20 pounds to be Bella”.  There is enough pressure on girls and girls in Hollywood to “look perfect”. To decide someone’s acting ability based on their appearance is malicious, ridiculous, and frankly just downright mean and petty. Additionally, there are loose physical descriptions of the characters in the books. If Bella/Edward/Angela will be ruined for you by the fact the actress/actor playing her/him is  a quarter inch too tall you really (in our humble view) should get a grip.

5.    If whoever you wanted to get cast didn’t get cast and you’re disappointed. You are entitled to feel that way. However, all discussion here will be about who got cast, not who should have been cast.

6.    If you are going to critique an actor, please critique them on their performance of a character.  Do not critique their physical appearance or their personal life. They should be allowed privacy, the paparazzi are possibly the only people bloodthirstier than vampires.

7.    Once the movie is out and available to the general public feel free to get into specifics.  If you are lucky enough to get an early viewing, good for you. We are a spoiler free site and will not entertain discussion on the movie until it is actually in major release.

8.     You are welcome to post a [b]link only[/b] to a specific actor/actress (assuming it is on topic). Please don’t directly post the photos as it totally kills our bandwith. Keep in mind that all links should be G-PG-13 in nature.

9. Try and remember this film is not directed by Stephenie Meyer or written by Stephenie Meyer, this is an adaptation of her work, Someone else has written the screenplay and someone else will direct her story, so expect some changes. A typical screenplay is 95 -125 pages. Twilight is a lot longer, so not everything can fit into a 90-120 minute film.

10. This film will be marketed to a mass audience not to one demographic. A studio’s one goal is to make money and there are film formulas studios follow to ensure the most profit, so this film will be graded by a test group of people of different genders and ages to determine its appeal, and based on that grade, edits or additional scenes will be added to the film until it scores in the correct range.

Comments

1. This is fantastic news! Kristen can act and I think she will do a great job with the character. And that’s all that matters to me.

2. I think she will do a great job as Bella. She’s a very good actress so I hope the movie turns out the way I expect it.

3. I don’t have much of an opinion on her considering I’ve only seen her in one film. As long as they keep her as a brunette (which they better!) she could be a Bella in my eyes. And as long as she’s a good actress, it should all work out.
    All I can say is, good luck to her! =] and damn, she probably gets to kiss a really hot guy. (Edward) =P haha..

4. Way to go Kristen!! Good job! I am excited to see your take on Bella, good luck and know you have a lot of fans supporting you!

5. I’m quite excited she’s playing Bella. I’m not necessarily Kristen Stewart’s #1 fan, but I have loved her in all her movies. I have to say, though, that I’m still scared for the movie lol

6. (*&#@%*(&#%Z*(&%z8973w9q857

kristen stewart? seriously? i think i’m going to have an aneurysm.

well wait… on second thought… maybe this is good. i’ve never liked her style of acting because she always came across as too pouty and stubborn, but i also often find myself irritated with bella for being too pouty and stubborn. so maybe this is perfect. i guess i’ll give her a chance… but i won’t lie, i shed a tear when i read that.

7. First off… Pel and Alphie… I think you guys are brilliant :) I have to say I REALLY LOVE the example you left for us, with the huge black bold letters from Pel :) That made my day!

Secondly, I think that Kristen Stewart is a GREAT choice! She is a very talented actress and can play a variety of different roles. I had my heart set on Danielle Panabaker, and as soon as I saw that it could be Kristen from my RSS feed off Stephenie’s site the other day I started researching her… and come to find out I have seen her in several things, and I LIKED her! And, she is a cutie to boot.

I for one, am very excited to see who else they cast:)

~Georgia

8. Alexa Cullen says:

well, she wasn’t my favrite.. but, i’m cool with that.. Who’s gonna play Edward?? I wan’t to know!! I can’t wait for the movie!!!

9. And… could I have possibly said *and* anymore times in my previous comment?

10. i didnt even think of her but now that i see it i think shell do an amazing job. i saw a few of the movies she was in and she did a fantastic job in all of them. Im also really glad that shes not an extremely big star. good job kristen!

(i still wish i could be Bella…a little)

11. I don’t know why some people are being so fatalistic about this, you have to learn to be tolerant to dissapontment. If Stephenie Meyer is happy we should rejoice with her. I’m happy they’re working on the movie and I honestly don’t mind who they put in the cast. Casting director, etc, are the ones that know best that’s why they’re there.

I’m really excited and can’t wait.

12. u no what as long as she does a good job ill accept her. but i guess we wont find out till 2008!

13. Oh man so awesome. :] I’m glad the gears are finally grinding.

I think all the buzz from the movie has killed the bandwidth on Stephenie’s site, though. I’ve been trying for the past ten minutes to see the movie page and it won’t load.

14. Orietta Rose says:

I think she looks mostly like Bella, especially on Stpehenie’s website! I’m so excited, this means they’re closer to making the movie, I can’t wiat for Edward to be cast!!!!

This is so EXCITING!!!!!

15. Not what I was expecting but pretty awesome! I remember her in Pani Room and she was really good. She’s plain like Bella’s supposed to be and I like that. Emily Browning is still my first choice but that’s only cause I didn’t even know Kristen was an option. I’m really excited to find out who plays Edward cause either way he’s going to be PRETTY. :Drool: So not about the appearance Pel I swears! He’ll be a great actor cause that’s how we rolls, but come on….it’s EDWARD. Nough said. ^.^

16. Stephanie J. says:

Cool:D! They finally found someone to play Bella. I say let LIVE! I just shudder to think the pandimonium that will happen here. when they start casting the Vampire characters…. especially when they find an Edward Cullen character.

17. ~Delilah Rose~ says:

Hee! It’s finally cast! Although I can’t say I like KS very much. I’ll be the first to admit, I’ve only seen her in The Messengers, not in her other more critically acclaimed films, but I really did not like her acting at all. She seemed rather passionless. And dull. But I don’t know, I’ll have to see her in Twilight before I make any set-in-stone opinions. Thanks for letting us know!

18. i’m not very happy witht the fact that they’re turning Twilight into a movie. I think (and this is totally just my opinion) they are going to ruin it, like they did to Eragon and other wonderful books that got turned into movies. Oh well, I can’t tell them to stop making the movie so i’m just gonna have to deal with it.

I’m really scared about who they’re going to cast as Edward! No one can possibly pull off the complete perfection, grace, and witty personality that Twilight fans adore.

19. I’m pretty excited. I’ve never really seen her stuff before, but she seems to have lots of experience under her belt. I can’t wait to see how she develops her own personal Bella.

Oh Hollywood, always surprising us. Hahaha.

20. So, I had to go look up who she is. I’m excited she looks like a cutie!

21. Not Exactly how I pictured bella but I won’t get too worked up. I guess they know what they’re doing. And she acts pretty good. Emily Browning was my first option but… (sigh)

And, to clarify, not EVERYONE pictures themselves as Bella. I am hispanic so even if I could try out fo it I wouldn’t be cast since I have light beige skin.

Kristin as Bella?

I could work with that. :)

22. deleted and banned

Pel

23. I think she’ll be great as bella!!!!!!!!! but what I’m really looking forward to is who’s going to play Edward!

24. dear goodness edward!!! says:

that was a not very nice comment by sage……

25. OMG i think Kristen Stewart will be PERFECT!! She may not look like some of the Bella’s ppl imagined but no one does cuz bella doesn’t exist. But i LOVE kristen’s acting OMG!!!! she’ll be awsome and i can’t wait to see the part in the movie about how edward later asks bella if she wants a ride to seattle and when she talks to him! I can’t wait for that part!!!!!!!!!!! g2g e-mail to everyone!

Bye

26. Hmmm…personally, my first choice was Emily Browning, but that’s okay with me. Not exactly how I imagined Bella, but everyone has different opinions right?
    I’ve only actually seen her in two movies, but she wasn’t a bad actress. Not at all.

27. Hey, they have articles all over Google on her Twilight deal, IE…

28. Hellish Red Devil says:

FANBLOODYTASTIC!!!

This is incredibly, incredibly exciting news. I…need to call a few people now and squeal. A lot. :D

SQUUUUEEEEEEE! ;)

29. alicewannabe says:

Disappointed, but it could have been worse. I remember seeing her in that Jodie Foster movie which the title of is alluding me. She was really young in that role but did a good job. My main disappointment is that they didn’t cast an unknown as is typical with many book to movie adaptations (Potter and Compass). But as long as they pretty pretty promise to give her dark hair and not vamp her up to much (no pun intended), I can live with this.

30. First things first- Kudos to you mods for being so straight forward with your expections of the discussion regarding the casting of Twilight!!!

As for the casting of Bella- I’m in wait and see mode. I will have to see her in action before I make any judgements.

I think the most important thing to remember is that these movies will not really ever live up to the expectations we have in our heads. We each have a different vision of what these movies should turn out to be. It’s kind of like the Harry Potter movies- I have to just remind myself that it’s a movie based on a book I’ve read and not let myself be too disappointed if it’s not exactly how I pictured it.

I am thrilled they are finally making some progress- I’m looking forward to see who else they cast.

31. WOW
    SHe actually looks like bela, not as much as other actress’s, but I think she’ll do good.
    At first, I spazzed and flipped out but then I thought about it, she has experience, and thats really whats needed. And as long as stephenie is happy!

Zora :0)

32. hahaha, I wish they casted bella as a hispanic girl or a black girl or asian sometimes. I never imagined myself as bella either im too olive skinned. But yeah I think kristen stewart is a great actress and she is pretty too :D

33. I wonder who else is going to be cast. I hope they are “coming up” actors like Kristen, that would be cool.

Zora :0)

34. that’s awesome! she doesn’t fit my image, of course not, but i think she could really pull it off. im really excited to see this. now things are “official”. awesome!!!
    now i just have to find all of her movies and watch CAREFULLY…observe…:P

35. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She is PERFECT! I just cant wait for the movie to come out.
    I wonder who is the *Next* actor/actress for the movie.
    *screams*

36. I like her a lot, but the main thing I think we all want to know now is who’s Edward. I hope the full cast list comes out soon, or I might have a heart attack from excitement!!!!

37. edwardluvr says:

I cant wait for the movie to come!
    i mean she wasnt my first pick but i think the casting directors know who would do a great job for these characters!
    Well i cant wait till they pick EDWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O :)

38. VampireGirl says:

I wanted to be bella…*pout*…can’t we all have an edward to ourselves??? :)

Kristen Stewart is OFFICIALLY the luckiest girl in america…i mean, c’mon, she gets edward! EDWARD!!!! ;)

I might have a heart attack from all this excitement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. Kudos to Summit for casting someone that is actually young enough to be Bella. =) I agree with Dawn in that the chemistry between Bella and Edward will make or break the movie not necessarily the looks of everyone. I think they made a good fit for the part and I can’t wait to see who else they’ll be casting.

40. Yay!!! That’s amazing!!!

Shall I say, “That’s one small step for Twilight, one giant leap for the Twilight lovers.” ;)

I think she’d be great as Bella! Like Pel said, who the heck cares about the appearance? It’s something they can fix. After all, I believe it’s her acting that counts!!!

41. She’s perfect! Actually when I read the book I imagined Bella to look like “that girl that played in Speak”. So glad it is her! :D

42. mellymeliza says:

i think shes okay to play Bella….i am REALLY anxious and scared to see who will play Edward. mostly scared though.ahhhh. i cant wait.

43. ok so for the 3rd time i take back what i said. i thought it through and i guess kristen stewart, as long as she does a amazing job, will be just fine as bella even if its not exactly how i pictured her to be. but i was just thinking that you no what everyone has there own opionions and we wilol see how she will play out in the movie to just judge her after!

but im really anxious about EDWARD!?! ahhhh whooo? lol.

44. I wish people would stop saying things like “I wish they cast Emily Browning/insert actress name here”. It doesn’t work like that in Hollywood folks. There are numerous things that go into casting including but not limited to: the requirements in the contract, timing (actors who cannot commit to a film due to other movies or personal reasons), pay (if it is a well known actress, they cost more–movies have budgets too!) ability to play role (not every actor is cut out to play a certain role–many audition and don’t make it), and also whether that actor actually wants to play the role (you can claim that Nicole Kidman would make the perfect Renee, but, but I seriously doubt she would want to play the role. Ditto Emily–actors also have types of movies they like to play).

Personally, I am very happy with Kristen Stewart. I think she is beautiful (I am not one to nastily remark on a woman’s looks) and would make a great Bella. Try not to judge her before you see the movie. And don’t let whoever’s hot in Hollywood right now be the only actors that you know or like–there are plenty of lesser known ones who are just as good, and even better.

45. gah…i really don’t like the choice. perhaps i will just stick to the books and not the movie

46. I’m not thrilled with the choice, either. . But, perhaps she’ll prove to us with her acting, I’m not sure. No, her looks don’t scream Bella to me, but who really knows. .

As long as Edward’s gorgeous and Jacob (if he’s in it) is one hot dog, I suppose I’ll be okay. .

47. I am personnaly VERY pleased with the choice. she was one of the girls that i thought could pull off the part.

48. COMPLETELY SHALLOW COMMENTS ABOUT THE ACTRESS’ PHYSICAL APPEARANCE REMOVED BY MOD….YEAH HER HAIR COLOR IS OFF…GREAT REASON FOR NOT LIKING A CASTING CHOICE.

49. I think her role in speak was a great example of her acting ability, which i think is crucial, i mean imagine some girl who cant act ruining the best book ever?
    Now that they have bella ( which to me means nothing, cause i play that role perpetually in my daydreams) i CAN’T WAIT for them to cast me an edward. now that role they better get absolutly PERFECT!

50. lol adalia no offense but everything you described can be fixed to match bella perfectly. You hate this choice for all the wrong reasons i bet that youll end up loving her in the movie.
    wink !